To Those Who Think Adulterers, Homosexuals, Fornicators etc...

Arthur Brain

I wouldn't call such justice under the auspices of penance. (Re: penitentiary).

Seems you want to send the unredeemed to hell expediently as possible i.e. unmitigated retribution.

It's not about "justice" where it comes to certain aspects anyway. Where it comes to adultery there's a certain few here who seem to have an axe to grind...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
sorry tam - this got lost in all the tard-noise

Ahh, so you think it is reasonable to say that GOD sent a prophet to the King...

do you disagree that that is what happened?

twice now you've dodged my question - I'll ask it again:

do you believe that Nathan spoke for God?

tam said:
to tell him to not serve justice per the law but to be unjust and break the law this time.

scripture says it better than i can:

2 Samuel 12:7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;

8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

9 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.

10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife.

11 Thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and give them unto thy neighbour, and he shall lie with thy wives in the sight of this sun.

12 For thou didst it secretly: but I will do this thing before all Israel, and before the sun.

13 And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said unto David, The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.

14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

tam said:
Guess that just law wasn't so iron clad to be obeyed after all.

ok :idunno:

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
do you disagree that that is what happened?
Of course it happened.
That's why I was asking you about what GOD was saying, which you avoided answering.
So was GOD telling Nathan and David to be unjust and and not serve justice by obeying the just law to stone adulterers?
Why would you think that the law was for all of Israel EXCEPT for whoever was their King at the time?

ok doser

Of course it happened.
That's why I was asking you about what GOD was saying, which you avoided answering.

well, no

i answered with the direct quote from scripture

that's what God was saying

So was GOD telling Nathan and David to be unjust

does scripture say that?

nope
and and not serve justice by obeying the just law to stone adulterers?

does scripture say that?

nope

Why would you think that the law was for all of Israel EXCEPT for whoever was their King at the time?

:yawn:

strawman

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:yawn:

strawman
You call anything boring and a stawman when you have no answer.
It gets old.

Either the law was to be obeyed by all of Israel or it was not to be obeyed by all of Israel.

David was guilty and even admitted he was guilty.
But GOD showed mercy and did not force the law upon him to end his life.
As the LORD says "I will have mercy upon whom I will have mercy".

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There was no Earthly authority in a position to execute King David.
Who were the ones to be the earthy authority to execute adulterers?

On a side note, I was thinking as I typed this response to you that it would be a good idea to post a scripture story of an actual judgement and stoning of an adulterer being carried out.
It's late and I'm tired, but off hand I couldn't think of any.
Can you, or anyone, think of one?
Post it if you think of one.

ok doser

You call anything boring and a stawman when you have no answer.
It gets old.

you wrote: "Why would you think that the law was for all of Israel EXCEPT for whoever was their King at the time?"

it's a strawman because that's not what i think

tam said:
Either the law was to be obeyed by all of Israel or it was not to be obeyed by all of Israel.

is that what you think or is that what you think i think?

tam said:
David was guilty and even admitted he was guilty.

correct

tam said:
But GOD showed mercy

nope

tam said:
and did not force the law upon him to end his life.

correct

tam said:
As the LORD says "I will have mercy upon whom I will have mercy".

you dodged this one before - care to take a crack at it?

was God merciful when He killed David's child?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
you dodged this one before - care to take a crack at it?
It's irrelevant because taking the life of an adulterer's child was not the penalty for adultery per the law.
The penalty was losing your life by being stoned to death, and GOD showed David mercy instead of imposing law upon him.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think there are any.
Me either.
I couldn't recall a single story in scripture of the stoning of an adulterer being carried out.

That would make a good trivia question, as most would probably assume there was a story about it in scripture since there is so much talk about adultery and stories of people that committed adultery.

TOL Jeopardy!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
nope

i guess we're at an impasse tam - you think its mercy and i don't

and i don't think it's worth my time trying to persuade you of my perspective :idunno:
It was mercy not to take the life of David for his adultery.
What do YOU call that if not mercy?

ok doser

we've been over this tam

and it's been instructive - i sincerely thank you for your participation in the discussion

ok doser

I also know someone who committed rape, who is currently incarcerated. Many would wash their hands, walk away, and consider him unredeemable. In a way I do understand this line of thinking, yet I’m trying to see him as more than the crime he committed. I want to see him reformed when he comes out of prison, and am trying to support him in this.

that's the role of the individual, specifically the individual Christian, to see the unfortunate who are caught in circumstances of their own making, to see them as human, redeemable, to view them with pity and mercy

that is not the role of the state

the role of the state is justice