To Those Who Think Adulterers, Homosexuals, Fornicators etc...

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
we've been over this tam

and it's been instructive - i sincerely thank you for your participation in the discussion
I just don't see how one could not see mercy in it when David did not receive what was deserved per the law.
If enforcing the law is justice, then it was not justice to not enforce the law upon David.
So it had to be something else besides justice when David did not receive the penalty for adultery per the law.
I don't know what you would call that except for mercy.

glorydaz

I just don't see how one could not see mercy in it when David did not receive what was deserved per the law.
If enforcing the law is justice, then it was not justice to not enforce the law upon David.
So it had to be something else besides justice when David did not receive the penalty for adultery per the law.
I don't know what you would call that except for mercy.

And perhaps reaping the consequences of what was sown. :idunno:

drbrumley

Did God "kill" David's child?

That's an affirmative

The Lord struck the child that Uriah’s wife bore to David, and it became very ill. 16 David therefore pleaded with God for the child; David fasted, and went in and lay all night on the ground. 17 The elders of his house stood beside him, urging him to rise from the ground; but he would not, nor did he eat food with them. 18 On the seventh day the child died.

drbrumley

It's irrelevant because taking the life of an adulterer's child was not the penalty for adultery per the law.
The penalty was losing your life by being stoned to death, and GOD showed David mercy instead of imposing law upon him.

While I can see what your saying, it does seem that not everything is in black and white.

drbrumley

You make a fair point here. However, a murderer has taken the decision away from another person over whether or not they live or die. They have chosen to prematurely end the life of another, and so it seems fitting that the punishment for such is to lose ones own life.

David wasn't killed....

drbrumley

scripture makes clear that God meted out punishments upon David in ways other than tam seems to be demanding He should have

as is His prerogative

Agreed it is his prerogative. But I also agree with Tam that david was indeed shown mercy. David could never have been written about, that he was a man after God's own heart, if God decided to take him, as he could have.

drbrumley

i don't think his punishment is a model we'd want to implement - child killed, wives raped...

.... crops burned, stores looted, people stampeded... :chuckle:

There is alot to digest in the case of david. Shoot there is alot to digest for every one of us.

Truster

In regard David, he lived his salvation and in relation to his sin he was able to write: "Blessed is the man unto whom Yah Veh imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile".

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
scripture makes clear that God meted out punishments upon David in ways other than tam seems to be demanding He should have

as is His prerogative
It isn't Tambora demanding it, it is the Mosaic law demanding it.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure that's a debatable option. Your list of capital offenses extended beyond murder though.

I know ... it includes offenses that maliciously destroy the lives of others.