These are NOT the same gospel

glorydaz

The Gospel of grace alone is now the power of God unto salvation.

That means any other gospel isn't. Even if it used to be, it isn't now.
Amen......until the church of God is taken up at the rapture.

Then they'll go back to the Gospel of the Kingdom during the Tribulation.
Prophecy will get back on the track it was on before Paul and this church age.

Derf

That is not talking about losing salvation, but of being unreproveable in His sight. We must all stand before the judgment seat of Christ where we will be judged according to the deeds done in the body. If it's "wood, hay, stubble" it will be burned up. That speaks specifically of rewards and loss of rewards. 1 Cor. 3 makes it clear. I've brought this portion of scripture up many times, but you seem to ignore it in your quest to show Paul taught salvation can be lost or that we must endure to the end to be saved. It suggests no such thing.

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
“Saved” isn’t talking about salvation?

You’ve really bought into this stuff, haven’t you?

glorydaz

Sure, if you close your eyes and plug your ears.

What church do you think John would be writing to?
The church in Jerusalem perhaps. One thing I do know is the believing Jews were scattered and under persecution. They were preaching Jesus Christ as the Son of God and the Messiah, along with His coming Kingdom. That is what they continued to do until they were martyred (except for John, perhaps).

Acts 11:22
Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.

glorydaz

“Saved” isn’t talking about salvation?

You’ve really bought into this stuff, haven’t you?
  • Acts 27:20
    And when neither sun nor stars in many days appeared, and no small tempest lay on us, all hope that we should be saved was then taken away.

• Acts 27:31
    Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved.

glorydaz

What church do you think John would be writing to?
Here is a good question. Perhaps you'll actually take a close look at this one.

Who was Jesus addressing here? There were Jews everywhere hearing the message of the Kingdom being preached.

Luke 12:32
Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

What about James?
James 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

This is the church in Jerusalem....the little flock....the Jews.

Acts 2:41-45 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

Derf

Here is a good question. Perhaps you'll actually take a close look at this one.

Who was Jesus addressing here? There were Jews everywhere hearing the message of the Kingdom being preached.

Luke 12:32
Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

What about James?
James 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

This is the church in Jerusalem....the little flock....the Jews.

Acts 2:41-45 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Jesus was talking to his disciples.

James was writing to some group that was NOT in Jerusalem. Who were under the "law of liberty".
James 1:25 (KJV) But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

I don't pretend to understand how the church at Jerusalem, in your Acts reference, limits where the gospel might have gone thereafter.

I have no beef about the church starting in Jerusalem with only Jews. But it obviously didn't stop there.

Derf

• Acts 27:20
    And when neither sun nor stars in many days appeared, and no small tempest lay on us, all hope that we should be saved was then taken away.

• Acts 27:31
    Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved.
Yes, that's a salvation from imminent death. It's not referring to eternal life, but it's still salvation from a future death.

Derf

The church in Jerusalem perhaps. One thing I do know is the believing Jews were scattered and under persecution. They were preaching Jesus Christ as the Son of God and the Messiah, along with His coming Kingdom. That is what they continued to do until they were martyred (except for John, perhaps).

Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
Yes! Just like Paul! Or are you saying Paul and Barnabas preached different gospels on their joint missionary journey?

glorydaz

Jesus was talking to his disciples.

James was writing to some group that was NOT in Jerusalem. Who were under the "law of liberty".
James 1:25 (KJV) But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

I don't pretend to understand how the church at Jerusalem, in your Acts reference, limits where the gospel might have gone thereafter.

I have no beef about the church starting in Jerusalem with only Jews. But it obviously didn't stop there.
The Jewish church was made up of Jews and some proselytes. All the disciples were preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom. Repent and be baptized....... believing that Jesus is the Son of God and the Messiah. That little flock were greatly persecuted by the Jews, and by Paul in particular.

Paul taking part in Stephen's stoning, and then his being accosted by the risen Lord on the road to Damascus, (Acts 9) changed everything. The disciples were left to preaching their Messiah, while Paul was sent to preach his gospel to the gentiles who would become the Church of God.

James was specifically writing to the Jews.

glorydaz

Yes! Just like Paul! Or are you saying Paul and Barnabas preached different gospels on their joint missionary journey?
Nope, not once he hooked up with Paul. In fact, I was just going to start a thread about Barnabas, so you saved me the trouble.

Barnabas in the one who took Paul and introduced him to the apostles. He vouched for him that he was preaching that Jesus was the Messiah, and told what had happened to him on the road to Damascus.

Acts 9:27
But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.

When word came to the Apostles that Paul was creating quite the stir, they sent Barnabas to see what it was about.

Speaking of Barnabas, "Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad".... The same thing happened when Peter and the others saw that grace of God, and so sent Paul on his way to the gentiles.

Acts 11:25-26 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

I find this whole thing fascinating and can't believe I didn't notice this before.

glorydaz

Yes, that's a salvation from imminent death. It's not referring to eternal life, but it's still salvation from a future death.
You're not suggesting being saved from a shipwreck saves us from a future death, are you?
That sounds like a strange twist to once saved always saved. LOL

glorydaz

Israel... He is one of the twelve Apostles that will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
That flew right over my head. Are you talking about the book of revelation?

Oh wait. Those letters are addressed to tribulation saints. Am I getting close?

Derf

Israel... He is one of the twelve Apostles that will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
Yet the leader, Diotrephes, a Greek, refused to receive his letter or his authority, so he wrote to Gaius, another Greek, saying he was coming to judge Diotrephes. And if this is an example of John judging the 12 tribes, then James may well have been writing to Greek and other peoples in his letter.

Which suggests they were both just writing to the one "catholic" church.

Right Divider

Body part
Yet the leader, Diotrephes, a Greek, refused to receive his letter or his authority, so he wrote to Gaius, another Greek, saying he was coming to judge Diotrephes. And if this is an example of John judging the 12 tribes, then James may well have been writing to Greek and other peoples in his letter.
John is NOT YET sitting on one of the twelve thrones.
Matt 19:28 (AKJV/PCE)
(19:28) And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
Are you unfamiliar with Grecian's? (i.e., Greek Jews).
Acts 6:1 (AKJV/PCE)
(6:1) And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
Note that the "neither Jew nor Greek" (i.e., the body of Christ, the church which is His body) had NOT begun YET.
Acts 6:5 (AKJV/PCE)
(6:5) ¶ And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch:
If there is no distinction between Jew and gentile at this time, why the PROSELYTE? (Hint: the body of Christ had NOT begun yet).
Which suggests they were both just writing to the one "catholic" church.
🤪

Last edited:

Derf

You're not suggesting being saved from a shipwreck saves us from a future death, are you?
That sounds like a strange twist to once saved always saved. LOL
Shipwrecks often result in some deaths, and probably a lot of deaths back then. So yes, they were saved from a future death.