These are NOT the same gospel

Right Divider

Body part
Mark 1:15 " And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel."

Philippians 4:5 "The Lord is at hand."

v. 15 " Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only."

So there were already churches in the beginning of the Gospel, which churches are these?
The TWO beginnings are different... they are YEARS apart. So your question is irrelevant.

P.S. There was a church in the wilderness long, long ago. Acts 7:38

Last edited:

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
The TWO beginnings are different... they are YEARS apart. So your question is irrelevant.

P.S. There was a church in the wilderness long, long ago. Acts 7:38
So the church in the wilderness is what Paul is talking about in Philippians 4:15 when he says that, "no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only"?

And actually, even the Philippian church had already existed "in the beginning of the gospel"? Who 'planted' that church?

Arial

Paul received a different gospel from the Lord.
Mark 1:1 Does not say it is the gospel but the beginning of it. John preparing the way for the One who brings the gospel.

Philip 4:5 This cannot possibly meant that at Phillippia is where Paul began preaching the gospel or a different gospel. In Acts 9:10- 16:11 see how many churches and synagogues before he reached Phillipia. The beginning of the gospel in that sentence simply means the beginning of Paul's preaching at Phillippia.
Also note Acts 9:15 So the Lord said to him "Go for he (Paul) is a chosen vessel of mine to bear my name beforeGentiles, kings, and the children of Israel." No mention of giving a different gospel to Jew and one to Gentile.

Right Divider

Body part
Mark 1:1 Does not say it is the gospel but the beginning of it. John preparing the way for the One who brings the gospel.
Duh.

Jesus preached the gospel OF THE KINGDOM.
Philip 4:5 This cannot possibly meant that at Phillippia is where Paul began preaching the gospel or a different gospel. In Acts 9:10- 16:11 see how many churches and synagogues before he reached Phillipia. The beginning of the gospel in that sentence simply means the beginning of Paul's preaching at Phillippia.
Also note Acts 9:15 So the Lord said to him "Go for he (Paul) is a chosen vessel of mine to bear my name beforeGentiles, kings, and the children of Israel." No mention of giving a different gospel to Jew and one to Gentile.
Paul said that "the beginning of the gospel" was at least FOUR YEARS later.

Paul preached the gospel OF THE GRACE OF GOD.

Multiple gospels... ALL gospels are "good news".

Arial

Jesus preached the gospel OF THE KINGDOM.
Right. But what in your opinion does that mean?
Paul said that "the beginning of the gospel" was at least FOUR YEARS later.
No he didn't. Don't pull out a portion of a sentence out of one sentence and make an entire doctrine out of it. Acts shows us he could not have possibly meant what you say he meant with those five words.
Paul preached the gospel OF THE GRACE OF GOD.
Jesus brought the gospel of salvation by grace through faith---to the whole world. That IS the good news.
Multiple gospels... ALL gospels are "good news".
That is the meaning of the word, but when we speak of the gospel (one) not gospels, it is the good news that God comes with saving grace through the work of Jesus to all who believe.

Right Divider

Body part
Right. But what in your opinion does that mean?
The gospel of the kingdom is the "good news" about the kingdom that God had promised to Israel.
No he didn't.
Yes, he did.
Don't pull out a portion of a sentence out of one sentence and make an entire doctrine out of it.
I didn't.
Acts shows us he could not have possibly meant what you say he meant with those five words.
The book of Acts is about the fall of Israel.
Jesus brought the gospel of salvation by grace through faith---to the whole world. That IS the good news.
That is certainly good news and that good news was given to the through the apostle Paul.

If Jesus brought that good news, why is there not even one instance of the Lord using the word "grace" during His entire earthly ministry to Israel? The word "grace" is barely used at all in the "gospels" (i.e., Matthew, Mark, Luke and John).

As a matter of fact, the word is entirely missing from Matthew and Mark.
In Luke and John there is no connection between grace and gospel at all.

But when we get to Paul, his epistles are saturated with grace. Paul uses the term 85 times!
That is the meaning of the word, but when we speak of the gospel (one) not gospels, it is the good news that God comes with saving grace through the work of Jesus to all who believe.
There are many gospels in the Bible. Why does this bother you so?

The only person in the Bible who uses the term "the gospel of the grace of God" is Paul.

Last edited:

glorydaz

True. And the one who perseveres does so because he is saved. It is God holding him up and keeping him.

I would say that persevering means that the person never lets go of their faith. There may be times when we get caught up in things we shouldn't, and there may be no visible indications of salvation seen, where before there was. But if a person is truly joined to Christ through faith, there will be something within them that has not let go---and will in time, be established again on the right path. It can often be a growing experience for the person.

LOL That something is Jesus Christ. Which is the whole point.

glorydaz

No. I do not see two faiths there.

You do not see the faith of Jesus Christ and our faith in Him?

Romans 3:22
Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Colossians 1:4

Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
That is like saying the definition of faith is faith. What are you trying to say?

If we have been given what is necessary for a man who is at enmity with God, when we hear the things of God, we will believe them. If we have not been given, we will not.
I'm just trying to show you what scripture is actually saying.....not what you think it's saying.

Why does Paul say "From faith to faith" if there is only one faith?

Idolater

Both.

The new covenant is with the same two parties as the old covenant. God and Israel.
OK but even if exclusively true, and that is an open question, that doesn't support you saying "both".
The gospel of the kingdom was said to be about the kingdom at hand. The kingdom that God had promised to Israel (in the land on the earth).
So that supports it being Old Covenant (which would support Dispensationalism), but how is it 'also' New Covenant then?

Idolater

You do not see the faith of Jesus Christ and our faith in Him?

Romans 3:22
Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Colossians 1:4

Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,

I'm just trying to show you what scripture is actually saying.....not what you think it's saying.

Why does Paul say "From faith to faith" if there is only one faith?
Why does Paul say "One faith" (Eph4:5) if there is more than one faith?

Right Divider

Body part
OK but even if exclusively true, and that is an open question, that doesn't support you saying "both".

So that supports it being Old Covenant (which would support Dispensationalism), but how is it 'also' New Covenant then?
The new covenant will apply when Israel is saved in their land into their kingdom.

The reason that I said "both" is because the promises were made prior to the arrival of the new covenant.

Idolater

Not necessarily.

The authors of the Bible worded what they said very carefully. Paul included. The fact that he DID NOT mention fits very well with what he said about members of the Body of Christ being "neither Jew nor Greek."

The holy priesthood of Israel was, by definition, of the Jews. Therefore, "neither Jew nor Greek" excludes any form of priesthood.
But the Lord Jesus is our high priest. That's how 1st Corinthians 15:3 works, " ...Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures...," His death was a sacrificial offering (upon the 'altar' of the cross) to the Father on behalf of His Body, the Church. It was 'priestly' what He did.