The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

Ian Day

JAC

My replies in bold
My previous points in italic
The blind beggar did NOTHING but cry for mercy:
Luke 18:42 And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee.

Welcome back. I thought maybe you'd bailed out after my last post. By the way, are you going to answer the point about sowing to the spirit? Everlasting life comes after sowing to the spirit (Gal. 6:8). Anyway, welcome back!

Paul has earlier shown that they received the Spirit by the hearing of faith. THe whole force of Galatians is that faith in Christ is all-important, for we receive the Holy Spirit by faith, & by faith we bear the fruit of the Spirit .... love, joy, peace, etc. When you refer to John 3:16, you will read that the believer has everlasting life, and John 5 teaches that He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Everlasting life begins with faith in Christ. The ultimate everlasting life is of course the life of glory in the world to come. We have everlasting life in this life, as believers, but we still have the hope of everlasting life with Christ in glory.

Was the blind man saved from his sins? The Greek word her is "soozon" and also means "to be made whole". Why did't the translators of the KJV use "made you whole" as they did in nine other occasions. (Strong's). Think there was some bias translation here? Maybe! Weak argument, Ian, shame on you.
JustAChristian

Look at the CLEANSING of the 10 lepers. (Luke 17) All were cleansed kathariso . Only the Samaritan was saved sesoken.

Sozo is translated "save" 93 times, & "made whole" only 9. Is there some bias in your own weak argument ???

Are you trying to argue that those Jesus healed were unsaved ??

Don't you know that the first "sozo" in Scripture is:
Mat 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins

Acts 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Is believe here faith only? What about repentance? Were these believers justified if they failed to repent? How could this be? Is it possible for "believe" to also include the commend to repent? Did you read my argument on a synecdoche that I gave FreaK? Check it out.

It is impossible to believe savingly without repentance. The command is repent & believe the Gospel. Repent & be converted. Repent & turn to God.

No-one here is trying to say that faith of itself saves. It has to be faith IN CHRIST.

I did read your argument.

Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

I'll amen that, but you have to show that justification by faith does not include the requirement to repent, confess Christ as God's son, and to be baptized for the remission of sins, and then the requirement to "...sow to the Spirit" (Gal. 6:9).
JustAChristian

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

See my remarks above.

2Ti 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Through faith. Is that a work on our part? (John 6:29). If it is, then it is not by faith alone. I see Paul telling Timothy that salvations comes after an action on our part, don't you?

The Jews were concerned to keep the minutiae of the Law. The whole point of Jesus teaching is that good works cannot save. Only he saves, by his redeeming sacrifice. Faith is not a work, but a renunciation of self-righteous works.

Dare you argue that to be justified is not to be saved ???

Don't think I have.

What works need to be added to faith in order to be justified ??

The work of God (John 6:29).

Paul clearly sees that to be justified is to be righteous in God's sight.

No argument here!!

James' understanding of justified is to prove one's faith by obedience. Faith which cannot be demonstrated by works is of course dead, & Paul would agree. (Romans 6)

Amen!

James is not contradicting Paul (or Freak ) he is saying that if you have saving faith it will show.

How will it show?

If you refuse baptism, or continue in sin, then don't expect people to see your faith. BUT there is a vital difference between justification by faith in CHrist, apart from any works (for at the moment of regeneration & salvation no good works have been done) and the living out of that new life in Christ.

When did you "...sow to the Spirit" and reap eternal life? (Gal. 6:9).

When I repented & trusted Jesus as Saviour my eternal life began. (John 5) Now I sow to the Spirit & expect to receive the fullness of that eternal life in glory.

As Paul eloquently writes:
Eph 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved
6 And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in [his] kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

That what I have been saying all along. The question that you want answer is can you prove by the New Testament that belief or faith does not include works of God that we are called to do before we can be eternally saved?

John 3, John 5.

There is an emphasis in the Scriptures on spritiual life - new birth, quickening of the dead, etc. THe moment of salvation is at that point of spiritual life, when we realise our desperate state of sin, and that Jesus Christ is our only hope of salvation. At that point we are said to repent & be converted or repent & turn to God. The new life is obedient to God, but the obedience does not save. The only obedience which saves is the obedience of Christ.

What is this "obedience of Christ"? Does it require us to hear the gospel? (Rom. 10:17). Does it require us to repent (Luke 13:3). Does it require us to confess Christ as God Son? (Acts 8:37 KJV; Matthew 10:32). Does this include the obedience of immersion into Christ? (Romans 6:5; Gal. 3:26-27). Is Jesus Christ going to forgive us of sin before we have come to him in the obedience of His commandments?m (John 14:15).

Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

The truth is that sinners CANNOT obey Christ. Only born-from above-by-the Spirit believers can obey. Our baptism & works of obedience & love are the result of saving faith, they are not saving works.

Last edited:
F

firechyld

Oooh! I had some really good vegan dessert recipes around here somewhere... I'll see what I can dig up. Any prefered flavour?

firechyld

JustAChristian

Ian! I'm surprise at you!

Ian! I'm surprise at you!

Ian Day said:
JAC

My replies in bold
My previous points in italic

Ian,

You are debating like Freak. You want Jesus only plus something else. You can't have Jesus only and something else. Paul did teach that the Holy Spirit was given by the "...hearing of faith" now is that faith only or faith plus something else? The act of hearing tells me that it is Jesus plus something else. Now, what is the something else. It is the "doing" that Jesus requires of us. We are to "be born again" and that is action on our part.

Sozo or "I save" must be cast in context. Nine times it is translated "made whole". Is the blind man or leaper being made whole or being cleansed of sins? Context lets us know how to translate this word. There shouldn't be much more to say on this point.

On your reply about sowing to the Spirit. You failed to understand that "sowing to the Spirit" comes before salvation. At least that is how Paul taught it in Galatians 6. Go back and read it again.

Again, I didn't see anything about my point on synecdoches or I guess it was an oversight.

Have a great day!

JustAChristian

Last edited:

Freak

Carri-

It is apparent at this point you are unwilling to deal with Biblical truth. You have yet dealt with the Scriptures I have pointed you to. Let's try this again. Did Jesus mispoke when He said belief in Him would allow someone to attain eternal life?

Yes, all believers in Christ should adhere to the principles found in Scripture like for example loving one another and submitting to the governing authorities. But Carri obeying this priniciples does not save you. Does obeying the command to submit to governing authorities (Romans 13:1) bring you to salvation or have a part in it? It should according to your warped theology. For you made it clear one has to obey all the commands given unto him to attain salvation.

I believe one should adhere to the principles found in the Bible through the power of the Holy Spirit. For the Bible tells us if we allow to be led by "...the Spirit, you are not under the Law." (see Galatians 5:18) But this does not bring upon regeneration this proves however we did in fact have the Holy Spirit and that the Spirit is leading us to the conforming to the Person of Jesus Christ. Santification is a process, justification is a one time event that does not involve water.

carri

Freak--

Loving one another, obeying governing authorities, etc...does not buy you salvation and I hope I did not imply that it did. However, NOT doing these things WILL condemn you. If you are condemned then you are not saved!

I did deal with the scriptures you quoted. But they did not say that the ONLY thing you had to do was believe. There was not one qualifying word in any of them. Just because I don't take your evidence as "proof" of your point, doesn't mean I didn't deal with them.

Carri

tralon

Carri-A person is saved simply by placing their faith in Jesus Christ. That is in the works that Christ has done FOR him.There is nothing within ourselves that can MERIT salvation. For we are saved by GRACE through faith and NOT OF OURSELVES.Eph 2:8aptism and the Lord's supper are symbolic ordinances that REPRESENT what Christ has accomplished for us 2,000 years ago. When we observe these ordinances we identify with Christ as born again believers, not to become Christians, but because we ARE Christians.. Only believers are baptised.Acts 8:36-37.And only believers are saved.Acts 16:31,John 3:16.Rom 3,and 4.

carri

Tralon--

Would you please define the word "faith" for me? For most people this means belief or trust. James said that "faith without works is dead." So without doing the works He commands, your belief or trust is dead. Does dead faith save? Is a dead belief even considered a belief? I know most of you who are "faith only" believers try to say that the verse I am talking about means such-and-such or this-but-not-that. Why is it so hard to just take at face value?

I also already stated that you cannot buy your salvation with works. Maybe you just missed it.

Carri

Last edited:

Ian Day

Firechyld
Oooh! I had some really good vegan dessert recipes around here somewhere... I'll see what I can dig up. Any prefered flavour?
Thanks. We'll try anything, except my usual recipe which produces a "cake" with the texture of a well de-aerated concrete. :( :down: A bit like Carri's recipes posted to date. :)

:)

Ian Day

Carri,

The problem with your understanding is that sinners are dead in trespasses & sins and therefore CANNOT do any saving works.

Repentance & faith, & justication all go before the works which show that repentance, faith & justification.

Ian Day

JAC
You are debating like Freak. You want Jesus only plus something else. You can't have Jesus only and something else. Paul did teach that the Holy Spirit was given by the "...hearing of faith" now is that faith only or faith plus something else? The act of hearing tells me that it is Jesus plus something else. Now, what is the something else. It is the "doing" that Jesus requires of us. We are to "be born again" and that is action on our part.

You haven't beegun to understand.
Rom 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

As far as we are concerned we are saved by Jesus, Jesus only. As far as God is concerned we are given everything.

What action did my children take when they were born ???

Being born again from above by the Spirit makes us children of God. (John 3 & 1) Whose will & action is involved ????
Jhn 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth,

Sozo or "I save" must be cast in context. Nine times it is translated "made whole". Is the blind man or leaper being made whole or being cleansed of sins? Context lets us know how to translate this word. There shouldn't be much more to say on this point.

I though the "leaper" (sic) was in Acts 3 :)
I quoted the reference to 10 lepers because only the one was "sozo'ed" - by faith. The others were merely cleansed.

People could be cleansed or healed without being saved.

On your reply about sowing to the Spirit. You failed to understand that "sowing to the Spirit" comes before salvation. At least that is how Paul taught it in Galatians 6. Go back and read it again.

Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

That describes the believer. The unsaved cannot "sow to the Spirit". He can only repent & turn to God.

Again, I didn't see anything about my point on synecdoches or I guess it was an oversight.

I said I had read it. q.v. Further comment is superfluous.

carri

Ian--

What does this mean: "sinners are dead in trespasses & sins and therefore CANNOT do any saving works"? You've been trying to tell us all that there are no saving works. Even I don't believe that works save us, but I do believe that not doing the works Christ commands will condemn us.

"Repentance & faith, & justication all go before the works which show that repentance, faith & justification." Of course! They have to come first, but that does not mean that fulfilling Christ's commands is unnecessary! If the faith is not followed up by the works that show it, it is DEAD! James says so. I may not be a brilliant scholar but I can read my Bible and take it for what it says, without reading a bunch of other things into it.

I guess the big question is: if we are saved by faith alone, are we still saved if the faith is dead?

Carri

Last edited:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Pardon the observation of an outsider, but aren't "repentance" and "faith" actually activities (works) of humans?

If humans cannot perform any "saving works" while they are unregenerate, how can they "repent" or "have faith"?

It all sounds a bit hyperCalvinist to me... :confused:

carri

Zakath--
It never occured to me before that repentance and faith might actually be considered works. Very interesting.

What does that big word, hyperCalvinist, mean? I'm not even sure about that "unregenerate" one. I just admitted to not being a brillliant scholar, so please make it simple.

Thank you,

Carri

Zakath

Resident Atheist
carri said:
What does that big word, hyperCalvinist, mean? I'm not even sure about that "unregenerate" one. I just admitted to not being a brillliant scholar, so please make it simple.

Thank you,

Carri

Hello Carri,

No need to apologize, I was trying to be precise and appear to have overdone it. It's a common failing I have. :eek:

Generally Calvinism is the body of teachings promoted by John Calvin. This includes:
  • Rejection of sacramental theology
  • Rigid belief in predestination (only those predetermined by God can be saved)
  • The idea that grace is irresistible (God's will is inevitable, human free will cannot override it)
  • The theocratic view of the state (the state is subservient to the church)
HyperCalvinism is a more focused view that carries several of the points above to a ridiculous (to most people) extreme. In essence, a HyperCalvinist would believe that prior to a man's birth, he is predestined to heaven or hell and nothing he can do will change that destination. In essence it teaches that mankind does not have free will regarding matters of grace.

Unregenerate is the theological term to describe an individual who has not undergone regeneration (i.e. the "new birth"). We atheists and others who have not "accepted Christ" (to use evangelical language) are considered "unregenerate". In the Roman Catholic and Orthodox traditions, the unbaptized are unregenerate.

I hope that helps. :)

tralon

Carri-Paul the Apostle sums up what faith is pretty much in Romans 4:5.Notice how faith and "believes on him" are used interchangeably in this verse. One's faith or simple trust in Christ is what justifys or declares a believer rightous before God and NOT HIS WORKS. Human works whether before one's conversion or after one's conversion can never merit salvation.

Freak

Zakath,

Faith is a gift from God not a work (see Ephesians 2:8-9). I'm so glad you made it out of the pastorate, the people of God have been spared of your heresy.

carri

Tralon--

Have you been actually reading what I post? I have said a few times now that no one can merit, or buy, salvation with works--of any kind. However, refusing to do Christ's commands or showing a lack of works WILL CONDEMN us.

Please read Rev3:1-3. "To the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you."

What is the complaint here? Is it their lack of faith? Or their lack of deeds? He even says they are dead, though reputed to be alive. Why does he say they are dead? Because of their imcompleteness of deeds.

Matt16:27 says "For the Son of Man is going to come in His Father's glory with His angels, and then He will reward each person according to what he has done." Is our reward going to be based on our belief or what we do? Our reward is salvation, and if that is dependent upon our deeds, then wouldn't you have to admit that salvation isn't through faith only, but also what we do to show that faith?

Carri

Freak

Carri-

Just keep Jesus as your salvation not water, not works, not anything. Just embrace Jesus as your salvation.

For some odd reason you continue to believe Jesus (who is eternal God) is unable to bring Salvation and that somehow He has to use water. This is absurd!