8/6 Republican Debate Thread

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
right now there is only one issue
will trump run as an independent
we are wasting our time if he does
What does it say about American conservatives when the website of the current frontrunner in the polls is devoid of any policy statements that would inform them as to where their candidate stands on the major issues?

The issue is not whether Trump will run as a GOP candidate or as an independent, the real issue is why does he continues to be the GOP frontrunner in the polls and why large numbers of conservatives have placed this kind of power in his hands!

Last edited:

Foxfire

What does it say about American conservatives when the website of the current frontrunner in the polls is devoid of any policy statements that would inform them as to where their candidate stands on the major issues?

The issue is not whether Trump will run as a GOP candidate or as an independent, the real issue is why does he continue to be the frontrunner and why large numbers of conservatives have placed this kind of power in his hands!

Trump is exploiting the Pavlovian salivations of a faction of the party that is swayed more by the shrillness of the message than the wisdom or substance of it's content.

Mocking You

The only one I have heard say ten percent is Carson (he worked it out in his hypothetical numbers on stage).

Yes, that is referred to as a "flat tax".

A consumption tax (sales tax on purchases) that Huckabee advocates is commonly called the "Fair Tax". Huckabee did mention it during the debate.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Trump is exploiting the Pavlovian salivations of a faction of the party that is swayed more by the shrillness of the message than the wisdom or substance of it's content.

I think so. Christie wasn't boorish enough. The GOP :cigar: seems to have Christie and Kasich waiting in the wings in case the sheeple don't care for Bush.

sly72

Trump buying his way into politics like a self investment, is a sad state of affairs for America's true dedicated and educated politicians.

Mocking You

Right, but various candidates on that stage promote different rates. One mentioned 15%. :dizzy:

Consumption tax, 10% :thumb:

Hardly. Most fair tax proposals put the tax rate on purchase in the 20% to 30% range.

So, that new $30,000 vehicle might cost $37,000 with tax.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Trump buying his way into politics like a self investment, is a sad state of affairs for America's true dedicated and educated politicians.
Actually, Trump has had to spend relatively little on his presidential campaign because he is such a master at manipulating the national media when to comes to obtaining free publicity.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Nothing wrong with getting ahead, but she's not a victim of anything?"
Sure. She's aware of who and what Trump is and isn't. She leveled a sensational inquiry and got a sensational response. I don't think it could have gone much better for her.

You sound like you just walked off the set of Mad Men.
Literally never watched an episode.

You're setting the bar higher for her than you are for the man who pretends to the Oval Office.
I find everyone involved calculating, but I think the job of a moderator and a journalist should be to examine the candidate, preferably on the issues (outside of building a wall what does Trump particularly stand for?). I expect a politician vying for party head will do his or her best to avoid being nailed down on issues and to expend a great deal of rhetorical energy on bumper sticker ideology and negativity aimed everywhere but inwardly.

So I suppose it's true, after a fashion, that I expect more (or hope for more) from any moderator/journalist within the limited context of the debate.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Sure. She's aware of who and what Trump is and isn't. She leveled a sensational inquiry and got a sensational response. I don't think it could have gone much better for her.

And her job was to help the rest of us know who and what Trump is and isn't, and in that she succeeded. I'm not crazy about some aspects of the debate, including the fact that the moderators did more talking than the debaters, but as a woman and as a voter, I'm not at all sorry that she asked the question.

So I suppose it's true, after a fashion, that I expect more (or hope for more) from any moderator/journalist within the limited context of the debate.
I'm more than a little surprised that you'd say that. I expect more from the candidate. One of those candidates, from one of those parties, will hold the highest office in the land.