ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

God's Truth

I know no such thing. As far as I can tell that is exactly what John 3:16 says. Lessen you don't think eternal life is enough?
Don't you like God's Truth?

Nilhilo says that John 3:16 says, "God says to believe the Catholic faith, and that is all."

This is what God's Word says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

No such mention of the Catholic religion.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Just answer right here. It is a simple question.

How do you obey Jesus by calling no man 'father'?

I will tell you right here and now how I obey Jesus by not calling no man 'father'.

I do not call my brothers in Christ 'father'.

Your turn.

Read the thread and your previous posts to see the responses, struth..been drinking again?

JosephR

Ps...looking to the left <<< over there, it says 'other' for your religion. What does that mean? Jehovah's Witness or something?

I don't think they have a name for what I am :) but I do testify the gospel... Believe in your heart and mind and confess with your mouth that The Lord Christ Jesus lived , died and was risen the third day by the Eternal and Almighty Father and you will have life.

I have many friends who are trins and many who are Unitarians , and I think not their belief in their understanding of the incomprehensible God will save them, but grace and faith and true love of Him will :)

Posted from the TOL App!

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
I don't think they have a name for what I am :) but I do testify the gospel... Believe in your heart and mind and confess with your mouth that The Lord Christ Jesus lived , died and was risen the third day by the Eternal and Almighty Father and you will have life.

I have many friends who are trins and many who are Unitarians , and I think not their belief in their understanding of the incomprehensible God will save them, but grace and faith and true love of Him will :)

Posted from the TOL App!

You mean they dont have a drop down option for Jehovah's Witness on the religion menu bar, but you are one? Are you not allowed to say if you are?

JosephR

You mean they dont have a drop down option for Jehovah's Witness on the religion menu bar, but you are one? Are you not allowed to say if you are?

Lol that is cute, but no I am not apart of that organization or affiliated with any denomination , but to say I am a YhVh witness is a complement indeed :)

Posted from the TOL App!

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Lol that is cute, but no I am not apart of that organization or affiliated with any denomination , but to say I am a YhVh witness is a complement indeed :)

Posted from the TOL App!

Ok, just thought you were being evasive :). Just out of interest, were you part of a denomination? Do you still meet with other like minded believers? Asking because there seems to be a lot of people meeting in their homes these days, bit like the early Christians? Is that what you do?

JosephR

Ok, just thought you were being evasive :). Just out of interest, were you part of a denomination? Do you still meet with other like minded believers? Asking because there seems to be a lot of people meeting in their homes these days, bit like the early Christians?

No, I study alone, I keep some older ways, I am just a student and stay in prayer constantly. Most of the people I know do not want to discuss religion , prolly why I come here, to be able to convo about it with other religious people. Most people here would call me a Lone Ranger lol

I proclaim the gospel when I can to friends and strangers and let the Holy Ghost go to work.

I was raised baptist, then lost all faith for many years... We'll except that voice in my heart never left, and in the last few years God revealed Himself to me, so now I am re reading the Bible and doing many studies.

I hope God leads me to a church that pleases Him, or I will serve Him on my own and worship like I have been, constantly :) love God, love your fellow man, feed the hungry,, stuff like that is what I will do .

Posted from the TOL App!

JosephR

It was nice chatting with you rich, I have to sleep now, hope to talk again soon, Godbless you and yours.

Posted from the TOL App!

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
No, I study alone, I keep some older ways, I am just a student and stay in prayer constantly. Most of the people I know do not want to discuss religion , prolly why I come here, to be able to convo about it with other religious people. Most people here would call me a Lone Ranger lol

I proclaim the gospel when I can to friends and strangers and let the Holy Ghost go to work.

I was raised baptist, then lost all faith for many years... We'll except that voice in my heart never left, and in the last few years God revealed Himself to me, so now I am re reading the Bible and doing many studies.

I hope God leads me to a church that pleases Him, or I will serve Him on my own and worship like I have been, constantly :) love God, love your fellow man, feed the hungry,, stuff like that is what I will do .

Posted from the TOL App!

I've just read your other thread about your background, you've had a rollercoaster but it's good to see you hanging in there :) Everything will come in time, but if you could mix with other believers it really would help, don't worry about not 'fitting in'...you'll find others that are on the same journey.

Personally I spent a few years living with no possessions and money (I was wealthy, but gave it up) trying to help the drug addicts, prostitutes, rent boys, numerous witches, ex-offenders including murderers and the mentally ill. Many whom I knew who had become believers through our outreach on the streets later died from drug overdoses, committed suicide etc. Their way of life sometimes could not change, but we knew we had done all we could to bring them the message of God's light and love.

Thing is, some people just find it really hard to mix with other believers, but when our lot came together it really did put the fear of God into people, they weren't sure if they were going to be attacked or mugged lol, they did look quite a bunch. It really was those from the hedgerows and gutters, but to see them change with the light of God in their lives was amazing and all that mattered really.

On the other hand, instead of going into a new church I had decided to attend, I sat with a beggar I noticed outside....and watched as everyone walked past on their way into the service. I never went into or back to that church.

Take your time and explore your refound faith, but if you can find others whom you can mix with and share it with, a bit of fellowship, then you will be encouraged and strengthened when even tougher times come.

God bless you, loads of encouragement to you :)

God's Truth

I hope you preached the truth to all those drug addicts and prostitutes. The truth is that they have to repent of their sins, and repent means to stop sinning. I hope you did not harm any that might have been saved. If you taught like most protestants that we only have to believe, then you have hindered people from being saved.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
I hope you preached the truth to all those drug addicts and prostitutes. The truth is that they have to repent of their sins, and repent means to stop sinning. I hope you did not harm any that might have been saved. If you taught like most protestants that we only have to believe, then you have hindered people from being saved.

Utter evil and demonic filth to suggest they weren't.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I know no such thing. As far as I can tell that is exactly what John 3:16 says. Lessen you don't think eternal life is enough?

Nilhilo says that John 3:16 says, "God says to believe the Catholic faith, and that is all."

This is what God's Word says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

I asked you a question.

Is eternal life enough? Or do we have to strive to be great? Confer Matthew 5:19

If you say that we must strive for greatness, then in Catholicitese you're proposing that we each should strive for sainthood. And that those who are not actively pursuing sainthood, are doin' it wrong.

God's Truth

I asked you a question.

Is eternal life enough? Or do we have to strive to be great? Confer Matthew 5:19

If you say that we must strive for greatness, then in Catholicitese you're proposing that we each should strive for sainthood. And that those who are not actively pursuing sainthood, are doin' it wrong.

The question makes no sense.

As for my being a saint---all those saved are saints and priests.

God's Truth

Utter evil and demonic filth to suggest they weren't.

What denomination were you?

You preach Catholicism now. Catholics do NOT obey God.

I do not think you are a very good teacher. You were in a religion you now are giving up. How were you teaching them correctly? Why shouldn't you be questioned? You are giving up the denomination you had when you say you taught these addicts and prostitutes. Who knows what you taught them. You are a confused and foul man.

You are exactly what you falsely accuse me of being.

Just look at the decayed bodies your choice of denomination prays to for a healing.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
keep-calm-and-do-not-feed-the-trolls-3.png

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The question makes no sense.

As for my being a saint---all those saved are saints and priests.
As you rightly say, the Father and the Son are One, and we know also that the lowercase C catholic church and the Son are one, and so our head, is Christ's head; and Christ speaks to us today, through his bishops, and we've received from these thousands of Catholic bishops, just about 20 years ago, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which means that THIS IS WHAT JESUS SAYS, TODAY. He pronounces upon matters of faith or doctrine, and upon morals. And as you'd expect, he does so infallibly.
You know John 3:16 does not say, "God says to believe the Catholic faith, and that is all."

For one thousand years, there was no distinction between the Catholic faith and believing in Jesus per John 3:16.

God's Truth

As you rightly say, the Father and the Son are One, and we know also that the lowercase C catholic church and the Son are one, and so our head, is Christ's head; and Christ speaks to us today, through his bishops, and we've received from these thousands of Catholic bishops, just about 20 years ago, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which means that THIS IS WHAT JESUS SAYS, TODAY. He pronounces upon matters of faith or doctrine, and upon morals. And as you'd expect, he does so infallibly.

We are to check out what we are taught. We are to check the scriptures to see if what we are taught is true.

For one thousand years, there was no distinction between the Catholic faith and believing in Jesus per John 3:16.
There were false teachers among the believers in the New Testament times. The false prophet will be put in the lake of fire. The Catholic religion slowly introduced heresies. They are the heretics they wrongly accused others of being. There is no mention of the Catholic religion in the Bible. It just is not there. To say it is there is to be untruthful.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Part II Reason numbers 32-60.

32. The gospel preached by many evangelical Protestant evangelists and pastors is a*truncated*andabridged, individualistic*and*ear-tickling gospel, in effect merely "fire insurance" rather than the biblical gospel as proclaimed by the Apostles.

33. Evangelicalism often separates profound, life-transforming*repentance*and radical*discipleship*from its gospel message. The Lutheran Bonhoeffer called this "cheap grace."

34. The absence of the idea of*submission to spiritual authority*in Protestantism has leaked over into the civic arena, where the ideas of personal "freedom," "rights," and "choice" now dominate to such an extent that civic duty, communitarianism, and discipline are tragically neglected, to the detriment of a healthy society.

35. Catholicism retains the sense of the sacred, thesublime, the*holy, and the*beautiful*in spirituality. The ideas of*altar, and*"sacred space"*are preserved. Many Protestant churches are no more than "meeting halls" or "gymnasiums" or "barn"-type structures. Most Protestants' homes are more esthetically striking than their churches. Likewise, Protestants are often "addicted to mediocrity" in their appreciation of art, music, architecture, drama, the imagination, etc.

36. Protestantism has largely neglected the place ofliturgy*in worship (with notable exceptions such as Anglicanism and Lutheranism). This is the way Christians had always worshiped down through the centuries, and thus can't be so lightly dismissed.

37. Protestantism tends to*oppose matter and spirit, favoring the latter, and is somewhat Gnostic or Docetic in this regard.

38. Catholicism upholds the*"incarnational principle,"wherein Jesus became flesh and thus raised flesh and matter to new spiritual heights.

39. Protestantism greatly limits or disbelieves insacramentalism, which is simply the extension of the incarnational principle and the belief that matter can convey grace. Some sects (e.g., Baptists, many Pentecostals) reject all sacraments.

40. Protestants' excessive mistrust of the*flesh("carnality") often leads to (in evangelicalism or fundamentalism) an*absurd legalism*(no dancing, drinking, card-playing, rock music, etc.).

41. Many Protestants tend to separate life into categories of*"spiritual" and "carnal,"*as if God is not Lord of all of life. It forgets that all non-sinful endeavors are ultimately spiritual.

42. Protestantism has removed the*Eucharist*from the center and focus of Christian worship services. Some Protestants observe it only monthly, or even quarterly. This is against the Tradition of the early Church.

43. Most Protestants*regard the Eucharist symbolically, which is contrary to universal Christian Tradition up to 1517, and the Bible (Mt 26:26-28;*Jn 6:47-63;*1 Cor 10:14-22;*1 Cor 11:23-30), which hold to the Real Presence (another instance of the antipathy to matter).

44. Protestantism has virtually ceased to regardmarriage as a sacrament, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mt 19:4-5;*1 Cor 7:14;*1 Cor 7:39;*Eph 5:25-33).

45. Protestantism has abolished the*priesthood*(Mt 18:18) and the sacrament of ordination, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Acts 6:6;*Acts 14:22;*1 Tim 4:14;*2 Tim 1:6).

46. Catholicism retains the Pauline notion of the spiritual practicality of a*celibate clergy*(e.g.,*Mt 19:12,1 Cor 7:8,*1 Cor 7:27,*1 Cor 7:32-33).

47. Protestantism has largely rejected the sacrament ofconfirmation*(Acts 8:18,*Heb 6:2-4), contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible.

48. Many Protestants have denied*infant baptism, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Acts 2:38-39;*Acts 16:15;*Acts 16:33;*Acts 18:8;*1 Cor 1:16;*Col 2:11-12). Protestantism is divided into five major camps on the question of baptism.

49. The great majority of Protestants deny*baptismal regeneration, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mk 16:16;*Jn 3:5;*Acts 2:38;*Acts 22:16;*Rom 6:3-4;*1 Cor 6:11;*Titus 3:5).

50. Protestants have rejected the sacrament ofanointing of the sick*(Extreme Unction / "Last Rites"), contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mk 6:13;*1 Cor 12:9,*1 Cor 12:30;*Jas 5:14-15).

51. Protestantism denies the*indissolubility of sacramental marriage*and allows*divorce, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Gen 2:24;*Mal 2:14-16;*Mt 5:32;*Mat 19:6,*Mat 19:9;*Mk 10:11-12;*Lk 16:18;Rom 7:2-3;*1 Cor 7:10-14;*1 Cor 7:39).

52. Protestantism doesn't believe*procreation*to be the primary purpose and benefit of marriage (it isn't part of the vows, as in Catholic matrimony), contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Gen 1:28;*Gen 28:3,*Ps 107:38;*Ps 127:3-5).

53. Protestantism sanctions*contraception, in defiance of universal Christian Tradition (Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant) up until 1930 - when the Anglicans first allowed it - and the Bible (Gen 38:8-10;*Gen 41:52;*Ex 23:25-26;*Lev 26:9;*Deut 7:14;*Ruth 4:13;*Lk 1:24-25). Now, only Catholicism retains the ancient Tradition against the "anti-child" mentality.

54. Protestantism (mostly its liberal wing) has acceptedabortion*as a moral option, contrary to universal Christian Tradition until recently (sometime after 1930), and the Bible (e.g.,*Ex 20:13;*Job 31:15;*Ps 139:13-16;Isa 44:2;*Isa 49:5;*Jer 1:5;*Jer 2:34;*Lk 1:15;*Lk 1:41;Rom 13:9-10).

55. Protestantism (largely liberal denominations) allowwomen pastors*(and even bishops, as in Anglicanism), contrary to Christian Tradition (inc. traditional Protestant theology) and the Bible (Mt 10:1-4;*1 Tim 2:11-15;*1 Tim 3:1-12;*Titus 1:6).

56. Protestantism is, more and more, formally and officially compromising with currently fashionableradical feminism, which denies the roles of men and women, as taught in the Bible (Gen 2:18-23;*1 Cor 11:3-10) and maintained by Christian Tradition (differentiation of roles, but not of equality).

57. Protestantism is also currently denying, with increasing frequency, the*headship of the husband in marriage, which is based upon the headship of the Father over the Son (while equal in essence) in the Trinity, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (1 Cor 11:3;*Eph 5:22-33;*Col 3:18-19;*1 Pet 3:1-2). This too, is based on a relationship of equality (1 Cor 11:11-12;*Gal 3:28;*Eph 5:21).

58. Liberal Protestantism (most notably Anglicanism) has even ordained*practicing homosexuals*as pastors and blessed their "marriages," or taught that homosexuality is merely an involuntary, "alternate" lifestyle, contrary to formerly universal Christian Tradition, as the Bible clearly teaches (Gen 19:4-25;Rom 1:18-27;*1 Cor 6:9). Catholicism stands firm on traditional morality.

59. Liberal Protestantism, and evangelicalism increasingly, have accepted*"higher critical" methods of biblical interpretation*which lead to the destruction of the traditional Christian reverence for the Bible, and demote it to the status of largely a human, fallible document, to the detriment of its divine, infallible essence.

60. Many liberal Protestants have thrown out manycardinal doctrines*of Christianity, such as the Incarnation, Virgin Birth, the Bodily Resurrection of Christ, the Trinity, Original Sin, hell, the existence of the devil, miracles, etc.

http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/reasons.html

Good to see everyone agreed with these points about the Catholic faith, not a single objection. I must be making the right choice in deciding to leave protestantism.