ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Thing is, for me as a protestant on a journey to the Catholic faith, all of it is new, and some of it is strange....and this particular subject is very strange. I am looking for answers to this and the answer of 'don't question' (if you know what I mean) is not enough.

I am quite prepared to say there is no such thing as an incorruptable body, saint or otherwise, unless proven wrong. All bodies decay, simple really. To say otherwise without proof is not going to wash with my inquisitive mind, and if this is Church dogma/doctrine (is it?) then I have a problem with it.
Understood.

Check the Catechism. What does the Church teach on the matter in her Catechism? It's a thick book. If it's barely even mentioned (which it is, barely), then that is a message all by itself.

You're coming home, for the first time. Analogically, you're not the prodigal son, returning home, but a descendant of the prodigal son. You personally didn't run away from home; your ancestor did. You never knew your patriarch's family. You were born and raised away from your true home.

So all's to say, of course some of it is strange. If you were to return to the genealogical homestead of your physical relatives, after many years away and having never been there before, it would be the same.

There are many things that Christians (your long lost family) have always done, but since you've been away from home, it is all new, and some of it strange.

But you are coming home.

We do not believe a recent faith, made up on the internet or within the last few centuries, but the original Christian faith. Relics are physical evidence that our faith is the ancient faith; these men and women believed the same faith that we believe today. The body of a saint is a physical representation of his or her departed soul in heaven. There is life beyond the physical death of our bodies. Most every Church teaches this, but in preserving relics the Catholic Church helps to impress upon me the reality of my mortal nature, which strengthens my faith, keeping me focused on the mystery that underlies its physical manifestations, the greatest example of which is the Catholic Church herself.

Let me know where I can clarify or elaborate further.

Cruciform

It's SICK to pray to/worship dead people.
...according to what you've been taught by your favored man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. Also, Catholics in no way "worship" past Saints. Please get your facts straight.

Christians pray only to God in the name of Jesus Christ because Jesus Christ is the ONLY mediator between God and men.
Addressed here and here.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Understood.

Check the Catechism. What does the Church teach on the matter in her Catechism? It's a thick book. If it's barely even mentioned (which it is, barely), then that is a message all by itself.

You're coming home, for the first time. Analogically, you're not the prodigal son, returning home, but a descendant of the prodigal son. You personally didn't run away from home; your ancestor did. You never knew your patriarch's family. You were born and raised away from your true home.

So all's to say, of course some of it is strange. If you were to return to the genealogical homestead of your physical relatives, after many years away and having never been there before, it would be the same.

There are many things that Christians (your long lost family) have always done, but since you've been away from home, it is all new, and some of it strange.

But you are coming home.

We do not believe a recent faith, made up on the internet or within the last few centuries, but the original Christian faith. Relics are physical evidence that our faith is the ancient faith; these men and women believed the same faith that we believe today. The body of a saint is a physical representation of his or her departed soul in heaven. There is life beyond the physical death of our bodies. Most every Church teaches this, but in preserving relics the Catholic Church helps to impress upon me the reality of my mortal nature, which strengthens my faith, keeping me focused on the mystery that underlies its physical manifestations, the greatest example of which is the Catholic Church herself.

Seems I'm trying to understand the supernatural with the natural, the spiritual with the physical, the limitless knowledge with the limited, the timeless dimension with my simple linear time dimension...I should stop and concede I don't know, and won't know all the answers this side of life. Fustrating for someone like me who likes reading physics, quantum mechanics, 'The brief history of time' et al etc.

Son of the prodigal son, great analogy by the way :) Your post helped, thank you for the explaination, the encouragement and for taking the time to write it, appreciated :)

journey

Have you ever prayed for someone else? If so, you refute your own statement. Think about it.
Your prayers to saints violate 1 Timothy 2:5, which says, 'There is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.'
"Prayers to saints, asking them to intercede with God for us, do not violate 1 Timothy 2:5. If they did, then every Christian would stand guilty of violating that verse because every Christian prays for other people. After all, what is a mediator? Merely a go-between.

When we pray for others, we act as go-betweens, passing their concerns to God. Fundamentalists regularly ask one another for prayers. They are right to do this because our Lord commanded that we pray for one another. No Fundamentalist will say to another, "No, I won't pray for you. Pray to God straight!" Instead, he'll say, "I'll gladly pray for you, and please pray for me." In so praying he becomes a mediator. This does not violate 1 Timothy 2:5, which is really telling us that our prayers for one another are effectual precisely because Christ is the one mediator. Without his mediation, our prayers would be worthless.*

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2008/kkeating_worship_feb08.asp

Hope this clears up your misunderstanding.

I don't pray to saints. You didn't clear up anything. It's Catholics who pray to and worship dead people.

Originally Posted by journey
It's SICK to pray to/worship dead people. Christians pray only to God in the name of Jesus Christ because Jesus Christ is the ONLY mediator between God and men.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
You didn't clear up anything.

I did, it's just your anti-Catholic closed fundamental mindset is rigidly indoctrinated and set in it's ways, unable and totally unwilling to learn anything that may oppose and unsettle it's own false views.
It's not my problem if you are utterly unable to process the information you sought, which we have more than amply provided you with throughout the thread.
To keep making the SAME statements AFTER you have been given said resouces to inform yourself from is, in my eyes, just pure anti-Catholic rhetoric, ignorance and idiocy, completely deserving of the utter contempt your future posts will from now on be treated with.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Seems I'm trying to understand the supernatural with the natural, the spiritual with the physical, the limitless knowledge with the limited, the timeless dimension with my simple linear time dimension...I should stop and concede I don't know, and won't know all the answers this side of life. Fustrating for someone like me who likes reading physics, quantum mechanics, 'The brief history of time' et al etc.
I found this helpful. (Written by a cradle Catholic.)
Son of the prodigal son, great analogy by the way
Thanks, I can't remember where I first heard or read it.
:) Your post helped, thank you for the explaination, the encouragement and for taking the time to write it, appreciated :)
You're welcome, and thank you. :)

journey

I did, it's just your anti-Catholic closed fundamental mindset is rigidly indoctrinated and set in it's ways, unable and totally unwilling to learn anything that may oppose and unsettle it's own false views.
It's not my problem if you are utterly unable to process the information you sought, which we have more than amply provided you with throughout the thread.
To keep making the SAME statements AFTER you have been given said resouces to inform yourself from is, in my eyes, just pure anti-Catholic rhetoric, ignorance and idiocy, completely deserving of the utter contempt your future posts will from now on be treated with.

I don't need any information, but you do. You're being led astray by baloney, and I suspect that would be pretty easy to do. I feel sorry for you. Your rant above is childish. Put me on your ignore list and you won't have to worry about reading my posts. In the meantime, go pray to some dead people. They won't hear you, but you'd might as well get used to it.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
I don't need any information, but you do.

Post #1266

You're being led astray by baloney,

Post #1266

and I suspect that would be pretty easy to do. I feel sorry for you. Your rant above is childish.

Post #1266

Put me on your ignore list and you won't have to worry about reading my posts.

Post #1266

In the meantime, go pray to some dead people. They won't hear you, but you'd might as well get used to it.

Ehhmmm....Post #1266?

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Let's look at protestantism from a Catholic angle, this article resonates well with what I am coming to believe.

150 Reasons why I am Catholic. Here's the first 31 reasons....discuss. (Ps this person was a Baptist who converted to Catholicism)

1.*Best One-Sentence Summary: I am convinced that the Catholic Church conforms much more closely to all of the*biblical data, offers the only coherent view of thehistory of Christianity*(i.e., Christian, apostolic Tradition), and possesses the most profound and sublime Christian morality, spirituality, social ethic, and philosophy.

2.*Alternate: I am a Catholic because I sincerely believe, by virtue of much cumulative evidence, that Catholicism is*true, and that the Catholic Church is the visible Church divinely-established by our Lord Jesus, against which the gates of hell cannot and will not prevail (Mt 16:18), thereby possessing an*authority*to which I feel bound in Christian duty to submit.

3.*2nd Alternate: I left Protestantism because it was seriously deficient in its interpretation of the Bible (e.g., "faith alone" and many other "Catholic" doctrines - see evidences below), inconsistently selective in its espousal of various Catholic Traditions (e.g., the Canon of the Bible), inadequate in its ecclesiology, lacking a sensible view of Christian history (e.g., "Scripture alone"), compromised morally (e.g., contraception, divorce), and unbiblically schismatic, anarchical, and relativistic. I don't therefore believe that Protestantism is all bad (not by a long shot), but these are some of the major deficiencies I eventually saw as fatal to the "theory" of Protestantism, over against Catholicism. All Catholics must regard baptized, Nicene, Chalcedonian Protestants as Christians
4. Catholicism isn't formally*divided and sectarian*(Jn 17:20-23;*Rom 16:17;*1 Cor 1:10-13).

5. Catholic*unity*makes Christianity and Jesus more believable to the world (Jn 17:23).

6. Catholicism, because of its unified, complete, fully supernatural Christian vision, mitigates againstsecularization and humanism.

7. Catholicism avoids an unbiblical*individualism*which undermines Christian community (e.g.,*1 Cor 12:25-26).

8. Catholicism avoids*theological*relativism, by means of dogmatic certainty and the centrality of the papacy.

9. Catholicism avoids*ecclesiological anarchism*- one cannot merely jump to another denomination when some disciplinary measure or censure is called for.

10. Catholicism formally (although, sadly, not always in practice) prevents the theological*relativism*which leads to the uncertainties within the Protestant system among laypeople.

11. Catholicism rejects the*"State Church,"*which has led to governments dominating Christianity rather than vice-versa.

12. Protestant State Churches greatly influenced the rise of*nationalism, which mitigated against universal equality and Christian universalism (i.e., Catholicism).

13. Unified Catholic Christendom (before the 16th century) had not been plagued by the tragic*religious wars*which in turn led to the "Enlightenment," in which men rejected the hypocrisy of inter-Christian warfare and decided to become indifferent to religion rather than letting it guide their lives.

14. Catholicism retains the elements of*mystery, supernatural, and the*sacred*in Christianity, thus opposing itself to*secularization, where the sphere of the religious in life becomes greatly limited.

15. Protestant individualism led to the*privatization*of Christianity, whereby it is little respected in societal and political life, leaving the "public square" barren of Christian influence.

16. The secular false dichotomy of*"church vs. world"has led committed orthodox Christians, by and large, to withdraw from politics, leaving a void filled by pagans, cynics, unscrupulous, and power-hungry. Catholicism offers a framework in which to approach the state and civic responsibility.

17. Protestantism leans too much on mere*traditions of men*(every denomination stems from one Founder's vision. As soon as two or more of these contradict each other, error is necessarily present).

18. Protestant churches (esp. evangelicals), are far too often guilty of putting their pastors on too high of a pedestal. In effect,*every pastor becomes a "pope,"*to varying degrees (some are "super-popes"). Because of this, evangelical congregations often experience a severe crisis and/or split up when a pastor leaves, thus proving that their philosophy is overly man-centered, rather than God-centered.

19. Protestantism, due to lack of real authority and dogmatic structure, is tragically prone to accommodation to the*spirit of the age, and*moral faddism.

20. Catholicism retains*apostolic succession, necessary to know what is true Christian apostolic Tradition. It was the criterion of Christian truth used by the early Christians.

21. Many Protestants take a dim view towards*Christian history*in general, esp. the years from 313 (Constantine's conversion) to 1517 (Luther's arrival). This ignorance and hostility to Catholic Tradition leads to theological relativism, anti-Catholicism, and a constant, unnecessary process of "reinventing the wheel."

22. Protestantism from its inception was*anti-Catholic, and remains so to this day (esp. evangelicalism). This is obviously wrong and unbiblical if Catholicism is indeed Christian (if it isn't, then - logically - neither is Protestantism, which inherited the bulk of its theology from Catholicism). The Catholic Church, on the other hand, is not anti-Protestant.

23. The Catholic Church accepts the authority of the great*Ecumenical Councils*(see, e.g.,*Acts 15) which defined and developed Christian doctrine (much of which Protestantism also accepts).

24. Most Protestants do not have*bishops, a Christian office which is biblical (1 Tim 3:1-2) and which has existed from the earliest Christian history and Tradition.

25. Protestantism has no way of*settling doctrinal issues*definitively. At best, the individual Protestant can only take a head count of how many Protestant scholars, commentators, etc. take such-and-such a view on Doctrine X, Y, or Z. There is no unified Protestant Tradition.

26. Protestantism arose in 1517, and is a "Johnny-come-lately" in the history of Christianity. Therefore it cannot possibly be the "restoration" of "pure", "primitive" Christianity, since this is ruled out by the fact of its*absurdly late appearance. Christianity must have historic continuity or it is not Christianity. Protestantism is necessarily a "parasite" of Catholicism, historically and doctrinally speaking.

27. The Protestant notion of the*"invisible church"*is also novel in the history of Christianity and foreign to the Bible (Mt 5:14;*Mt 16:18), therefore untrue.

28. When Protestant theologians speak of the teaching of early Christianity (e.g., when refuting "cults"), they say "the Church taught . . ." (as it was then unified), but when they refer to the present they instinctively and inconsistently refrain from such terminology, sinceuniversal teaching authority*now clearly resides only in the Catholic Church.

29. The Protestant principle of*private judgment*has created a milieu (esp. in Protestant America) in which (invariably) man-centered "cults" such as Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism, and Christian Science arise. The very notion that one can "start" a new, or "the true" Church is Protestant to the core.

30. The lack of a*definitive teaching authority*in Protestant (as with the Catholic magisterium) makes many individual Protestants think that they have a direct line to God, notwithstanding all of Christian Tradition and the history of biblical exegesis (a*"Bible, Holy Spirit and me" mentality). Such people are generally under-educated theologically, unteachable, lack humility, and have no business making presumed "infallible" statements about the nature of Christianity.

31. Evangelicalism's*"techniques" of evangelism*are often contrived and manipulative, certainly not directly derived from the text of the Bible. Some even resemble brainwashing to a degree.

Source: http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/reasons.html

:popcorn:

Part II Reason numbers 32-60.

32. The gospel preached by many evangelical Protestant evangelists and pastors is a*truncated*andabridged, individualistic*and*ear-tickling gospel, in effect merely "fire insurance" rather than the biblical gospel as proclaimed by the Apostles.

33. Evangelicalism often separates profound, life-transforming*repentance*and radical*discipleship*from its gospel message. The Lutheran Bonhoeffer called this "cheap grace."

34. The absence of the idea of*submission to spiritual authority*in Protestantism has leaked over into the civic arena, where the ideas of personal "freedom," "rights," and "choice" now dominate to such an extent that civic duty, communitarianism, and discipline are tragically neglected, to the detriment of a healthy society.

35. Catholicism retains the sense of the sacred, thesublime, the*holy, and the*beautiful*in spirituality. The ideas of*altar, and*"sacred space"*are preserved. Many Protestant churches are no more than "meeting halls" or "gymnasiums" or "barn"-type structures. Most Protestants' homes are more esthetically striking than their churches. Likewise, Protestants are often "addicted to mediocrity" in their appreciation of art, music, architecture, drama, the imagination, etc.

36. Protestantism has largely neglected the place ofliturgy*in worship (with notable exceptions such as Anglicanism and Lutheranism). This is the way Christians had always worshiped down through the centuries, and thus can't be so lightly dismissed.

37. Protestantism tends to*oppose matter and spirit, favoring the latter, and is somewhat Gnostic or Docetic in this regard.

38. Catholicism upholds the*"incarnational principle,"wherein Jesus became flesh and thus raised flesh and matter to new spiritual heights.

39. Protestantism greatly limits or disbelieves insacramentalism, which is simply the extension of the incarnational principle and the belief that matter can convey grace. Some sects (e.g., Baptists, many Pentecostals) reject all sacraments.

40. Protestants' excessive mistrust of the*flesh("carnality") often leads to (in evangelicalism or fundamentalism) an*absurd legalism*(no dancing, drinking, card-playing, rock music, etc.).

41. Many Protestants tend to separate life into categories of*"spiritual" and "carnal,"*as if God is not Lord of all of life. It forgets that all non-sinful endeavors are ultimately spiritual.

42. Protestantism has removed the*Eucharist*from the center and focus of Christian worship services. Some Protestants observe it only monthly, or even quarterly. This is against the Tradition of the early Church.

43. Most Protestants*regard the Eucharist symbolically, which is contrary to universal Christian Tradition up to 1517, and the Bible (Mt 26:26-28;*Jn 6:47-63;*1 Cor 10:14-22;*1 Cor 11:23-30), which hold to the Real Presence (another instance of the antipathy to matter).

44. Protestantism has virtually ceased to regardmarriage as a sacrament, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mt 19:4-5;*1 Cor 7:14;*1 Cor 7:39;*Eph 5:25-33).

45. Protestantism has abolished the*priesthood*(Mt 18:18) and the sacrament of ordination, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Acts 6:6;*Acts 14:22;*1 Tim 4:14;*2 Tim 1:6).

46. Catholicism retains the Pauline notion of the spiritual practicality of a*celibate clergy*(e.g.,*Mt 19:12,1 Cor 7:8,*1 Cor 7:27,*1 Cor 7:32-33).

47. Protestantism has largely rejected the sacrament ofconfirmation*(Acts 8:18,*Heb 6:2-4), contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible.

48. Many Protestants have denied*infant baptism, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Acts 2:38-39;*Acts 16:15;*Acts 16:33;*Acts 18:8;*1 Cor 1:16;*Col 2:11-12). Protestantism is divided into five major camps on the question of baptism.

49. The great majority of Protestants deny*baptismal regeneration, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mk 16:16;*Jn 3:5;*Acts 2:38;*Acts 22:16;*Rom 6:3-4;*1 Cor 6:11;*Titus 3:5).

50. Protestants have rejected the sacrament ofanointing of the sick*(Extreme Unction / "Last Rites"), contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mk 6:13;*1 Cor 12:9,*1 Cor 12:30;*Jas 5:14-15).

51. Protestantism denies the*indissolubility of sacramental marriage*and allows*divorce, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Gen 2:24;*Mal 2:14-16;*Mt 5:32;*Mat 19:6,*Mat 19:9;*Mk 10:11-12;*Lk 16:18;Rom 7:2-3;*1 Cor 7:10-14;*1 Cor 7:39).

52. Protestantism doesn't believe*procreation*to be the primary purpose and benefit of marriage (it isn't part of the vows, as in Catholic matrimony), contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Gen 1:28;*Gen 28:3,*Ps 107:38;*Ps 127:3-5).

53. Protestantism sanctions*contraception, in defiance of universal Christian Tradition (Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant) up until 1930 - when the Anglicans first allowed it - and the Bible (Gen 38:8-10;*Gen 41:52;*Ex 23:25-26;*Lev 26:9;*Deut 7:14;*Ruth 4:13;*Lk 1:24-25). Now, only Catholicism retains the ancient Tradition against the "anti-child" mentality.

54. Protestantism (mostly its liberal wing) has acceptedabortion*as a moral option, contrary to universal Christian Tradition until recently (sometime after 1930), and the Bible (e.g.,*Ex 20:13;*Job 31:15;*Ps 139:13-16;Isa 44:2;*Isa 49:5;*Jer 1:5;*Jer 2:34;*Lk 1:15;*Lk 1:41;Rom 13:9-10).

55. Protestantism (largely liberal denominations) allowwomen pastors*(and even bishops, as in Anglicanism), contrary to Christian Tradition (inc. traditional Protestant theology) and the Bible (Mt 10:1-4;*1 Tim 2:11-15;*1 Tim 3:1-12;*Titus 1:6).

56. Protestantism is, more and more, formally and officially compromising with currently fashionableradical feminism, which denies the roles of men and women, as taught in the Bible (Gen 2:18-23;*1 Cor 11:3-10) and maintained by Christian Tradition (differentiation of roles, but not of equality).

57. Protestantism is also currently denying, with increasing frequency, the*headship of the husband in marriage, which is based upon the headship of the Father over the Son (while equal in essence) in the Trinity, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (1 Cor 11:3;*Eph 5:22-33;*Col 3:18-19;*1 Pet 3:1-2). This too, is based on a relationship of equality (1 Cor 11:11-12;*Gal 3:28;*Eph 5:21).

58. Liberal Protestantism (most notably Anglicanism) has even ordained*practicing homosexuals*as pastors and blessed their "marriages," or taught that homosexuality is merely an involuntary, "alternate" lifestyle, contrary to formerly universal Christian Tradition, as the Bible clearly teaches (Gen 19:4-25;Rom 1:18-27;*1 Cor 6:9). Catholicism stands firm on traditional morality.

59. Liberal Protestantism, and evangelicalism increasingly, have accepted*"higher critical" methods of biblical interpretation*which lead to the destruction of the traditional Christian reverence for the Bible, and demote it to the status of largely a human, fallible document, to the detriment of its divine, infallible essence.

60. Many liberal Protestants have thrown out manycardinal doctrines*of Christianity, such as the Incarnation, Virgin Birth, the Bodily Resurrection of Christ, the Trinity, Original Sin, hell, the existence of the devil, miracles, etc.

http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/reasons.html

God's Truth

I don't need any information, but you do. You're being led astray by baloney, and I suspect that would be pretty easy to do. I feel sorry for you. Your rant above is childish. Put me on your ignore list and you won't have to worry about reading my posts. In the meantime, go pray to some dead people. They won't hear you, but you'd might as well get used to it.

You both should repent for believing and preaching falseness.

Repent, and do everything that Jesus says to do.

Then you will be given understanding.

God's Truth

Understood.

But you are coming home.

You are proud and secure in the Catholic religion because it is so old. However, there were false teachers AMONG the brothers.

You cannot choose a religion because it is old.

What has stayed is that God's Truth can still be found.

Get Jesus' teachings and start doing what he says to do.

Then you will see.

God's Truth

Stay close to God's word. Do not lean to the left or to the right.

We do not have to understand to obey.

We obey then get understanding.

Stop looking for God in the religion of men.

Look to God in His written Word.

Find God by doing what He says.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
You both should repent for believing and preaching falseness.

Repent, and do everything that Jesus says to do.

Then you will be given understanding.

Says the lady who doesnt even believe in the doctrine of the Trinity. You are not a Christian, so why try and give advice on a Christian forum?

God's Truth

Says the lady who doesnt even believe in the doctrine of the Trinity. You are not a Christian, so why try and give advice on a Christian forum?

There are three, and the three are One and the same.

They are not different and distinct, as you teach.

You make a three-headed god.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You are proud and secure in the Catholic religion because it is so old.
Nope.

Rather, "the Catholic religion" (your words) is so old because it's the Church of Jesus (Matthew 16:18; 18:17).
However, there were false teachers AMONG the brothers.
Unavoidable. You are a case in point.
You cannot choose a religion because it is old.
On the contrary, I can choose a religion for whatever stupid reason I want.

I did not, however, choose the Catholic faith "because it is old."
What has stayed is that God's Truth can still be found.

Get Jesus' teachings and start doing what he says to do.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
Then you will see.
Right back at ya.

God's Truth

Nope.

Rather, "the Catholic religion" (your words) is so old because it's the Church of Jesus (Matthew 16:18; 18:17).
Unavoidable. You are a case in point.
On the contrary, I can choose a religion for whatever stupid reason I want.

I did not, however, choose the Catholic faith "because it is old."
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
Right back at ya.

Nihilo,

All I ask is that you do what God says, and that is all.