Why "Conversion Therapy" Should Be Illegal

Rosenritter

can you reference these surveys?

I cannot remember where I saw that right now, but it was a matter of asking general population whether they identified as "straight" "homosexual" "bisexual" or the like. Numbers were higher in youth population (school age) than in adult population. You'd probably be able to find similar reports from both Christian and pro-LGBQ sites.

Rosenritter

are you talking about the significant number of non-white characters featured on the show?

No, I'm talking about the flaming "Captain Jack" and "the ambigiously gay couple" (as they called themselves) and the Lizardwoman who is married to the Victorian girl. Four of those were white and one was green.

How are you confusing "homosexual" with "non-white?"

Here, you don't believe me? Seems they've been adding more since I gave up on it:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/04/...-characters-on-dr-who-says-lesbian-companion/

Arthur Brain

No, I'm talking about the flaming "Captain Jack" and "the ambigiously gay couple" (as they called themselves) and the Lizardwoman who is married to the Victorian girl. Four of those were white and one was green.

Here, you don't believe me? Seems they've been adding more since I gave up on it:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/04/...-characters-on-dr-who-says-lesbian-companion/

I'm not a fan of certain changes that have been made to Dr Who as it smacks of political correctness as with plenty of shows elsewhere. It's a bit of a leap to equate a more enlightened outlook with kids being more prone to being "sexually confused" though.

Kit the Coyote

Oh, the Thin/Fat Gay Married Anglican Marines as they introduced themselves was a hilarious send-up of the very thing you were talking about of inserting token minority characters even though they went on to give them a 'bury your gays' ending. It was the show making fun of itself and the trend.

Rosenritter

Oh, the Thin/Fat Gay Married Anglican Marines as they introduced themselves was a hilarious send-up of the very thing you were talking about of inserting token minority characters even though they went on to give them a 'bury your gays' ending. It was the show making fun of itself and the trend.

Whereas they had already poisoned the show with Captain Jack... and they would have liked to have gone further, if their spin-off disaster Torchwood was any indication. You only need to watch an episode or few of that to see how intentionally off (even directly blasphemous) that one was.

Rosenritter

I'm not a fan of certain changes that have been made to Dr Who as it smacks of political correctness as with plenty of shows elsewhere. It's a bit of a leap to equate a more enlightened outlook with kids being more prone to being "sexually confused" though.

Homosexual = enlightened? That's the message there though, isn't it?

Kit the Coyote

Whereas they had already poisoned the show with Captain Jack... and they would have liked to have gone further, if their spin-off disaster Torchwood was any indication. You only need to watch an episode or few of that to see how intentionally off (even directly blasphemous) that one was.

Captain Jack is my hero! And I loved Torchwood.

Kit the Coyote

Complete with their episode where Flaming Homosexual Captain Jack fights a fifty-foot tall devil with horns, defeats it and dies, only to be raised from the dead after three days to the joy of his apostles?

You have to be the only person in all the Torchwood discussions I have ever been in to draw that conclusion out of the episode. Since Jack is effectively immortal, by the physics of the story universe it is hardly a miracle, more a Deus ex Machina they tend to use too much. Nor would I call his friends apostles, I think you are reading too much into the narrative. Or maybe not, the show writer may have been playing the resurrection part up for it, it is a common enough trope.

I really thought the last two seasons were more annoying, particularly the whole Gaia earth line and immortality stuff sort of jumped the shark for me.

Actually one of the interesting aspects of the Doctor Who universe is they always try to have a techno-babble science explanation behind anything supernatural. Demons, Ghosts, Gods, and other supernatural critters will appear but they always wind up, in the end, being some sort of super powerful alien or something.

Rosenritter

You have to be the only person in all the Torchwood discussions I have ever been in to draw that conclusion out of the episode. Since Jack is effectively immortal, by the physics of the story universe it is hardly a miracle, more a Deus ex Machina they tend to use too much. Nor would I call his friends apostles, I think you are reading too much into the narrative. Or maybe not, the show writer may have been playing the resurrection part up for it, it is a common enough trope.

I really thought the last two seasons were more annoying, particularly the whole Gaia earth line and immortality stuff sort of jumped the shark for me.

Actually one of the interesting aspects of the Doctor Who universe is they always try to have a techno-babble science explanation behind anything supernatural. Demons, Ghosts, Gods, and other supernatural critters will appear but they always wind up, in the end, being some sort of super powerful alien or something.

Three days and three nights cold dead... and to pile on top of coincidence let's also add that the first to witness him alive was a woman. You really didn't sense any sacrilegious intent in that?

Kit the Coyote

Three days and three nights cold dead... and to pile on top of coincidence let's also add that the first to witness him alive was a woman. You really didn't sense any sacrilegious intent in that?

So just watched the ending of that episode again and not really, yes it uses aspects of the messianic trope but it is hardly the first, it is often played in fantasy and sometimes very blatantly writers love to borrow from the classics.

MrDante

because the ranting against one sounds exactly like the ranting against the other

Arthur Brain

Homosexual = enlightened? That's the message there though, isn't it?

No, just that there's gay people about and there should be an acceptance of that. When I was at school it would hardly have been advisable for anyone to admit it because of the bullying they'd have got. Like certain zealots of the rabid variety here it was a go to source of "insult" to call other people gay. That needed to change.