Why "Conversion Therapy" Should Be Illegal

lovemeorhateme

I can't help but notice that you having a striking resemblance to the one time owner of Theologyonline.com (TOL has since changed ownership and is owned by a "Sarah Rose of NY"). Are you by chance related to Eric G?

That being said: I would love it if you would return to my thread, as I have dozens and dozens of success stories that I would like to share with you.

Are you saying you think I look like Knight? Can’t see the resemblance myself. I’m certainly not related to anyone on TOL, or anyone in the USA for that matter.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
MrDainty makes a disturbing claim::

a mainstay of reparative therapy involves forced nudity of the "problem child" Children are forced to remove all clothing during both individual and group therapy sessions. this nudity is considered therapeutic and the child with the "troubled relationship" is encouraged to engage in “cuddling” with their father. If the father is unavailable then a the reparative therapist acts as a substitute. - Ref: Shidlo, A.; Schroeder, M.; Drescher, J. eds. Sexual conversion therapy: ethical, clinical, and research perspectives 2011

asked repeatedly to provide evidence of his disturbing claim, the best he can manage is a weak:
...go read the book....

one would think that if MrDainty's claim were true there would be no end of evidence available online to support it

if, on the other hand, the claim is a mere figment of MrDainty's imagination, it would tend to identify him as a perverted sicko, as well as a liar

Last edited:
Reactions: Lon

Kit the Coyote

So this week I've discovered and read about an APA approved treatment that could be seen as a safer alternative to CT/RT. Sexual Identity Therapy (SIT) is a framework to "aid mental health practitioners in helping people arrive at a healthy and personally acceptable resolution of sexual identity and value conflicts." It looks not just at the patient's attractions but at the patient's values and wants and how they all conflict. Then the therapist will work with the patient to find how to balance those conflicts in a manner the patient can live with.

This allows for a patient whose strong Christian values are important to him to reach a state where he/she is comfortable with being celibate or other outcomes similar to the EX-gays in CT/RT.

To me, this should be the nail in the coffin of conversion therapy as it allows for patients whose religious or social beliefs are of more value to them than sexuality to safely arrive at a result similar to EX-gays without the risks that CT/RT involve.

It really seems to be a reasonable balance between the all or nothing approaches of CT/RT and Affirmation therapy that allows for the outcomes of both based on the needs of the patient and not what various political groups want.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
HallE20140610_low.jpg

Don't those engaged in "conversion therapy" expose themselves to the risk of being sued by their former patients?

Kit the Coyote

HallE20140610_low.jpg

Don't those engaged in "conversion therapy" expose themselves to the risk of being sued by their former patients?

As long as they keep practicing against the APA and others recommendation, I would say yes they are. You can be sure that insurance companies will be dropping them like hot potatoes as well.

MrDante

MrDainty makes a disturbing claim::

asked repeatedly to provide evidence of his disturbing claim, the best he can manage is a weak:
Reference provided in the original quote. Either you are are not smart enough to know what a reference is or you are just a lying troll. My money is on a combination of the two

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
Spoiler
So this week I've discovered and read about an APA approved treatment that could be seen as a safer alternative to CT/RT.
Sexual Identity Therapy (SIT) is a framework to "aid mental health practitioners in helping people arrive at a healthy and personally acceptable resolution of sexual identity and value conflicts." It looks not just at the patient's attractions but at the patient's values and wants and how they all conflict. Then the therapist will work with the patient to find how to balance those conflicts in a manner the patient can live with.

This allows for a patient whose strong Christian values are important to him to reach a state where he/she is comfortable with being celibate or other outcomes similar to the EX-gays in CT/RT.
Spoiler

To me, this should be the nail in the coffin of conversion therapy as it allows for patients whose religious or social beliefs are of more value to them than sexuality to safely arrive at a result similar to EX-gays without the risks that CT/RT involve.

It really seems to be a reasonable balance between the all or nothing approaches of CT/RT and Affirmation therapy that allows for the outcomes of both based on the needs of the patient and not what various political groups want.
Not for nothing, but this sounds a lot like Catholicism to me.

ok doser

Reference provided in the original quote. Either you are are not smart enough to know what a reference is or you are just a lying troll. My money is on a combination of the two

iow, you claim to have read a book that's not available, even in excerpted form, on the internet, and then offer up your own version of what you think it was saying and expect us to accept it. And an earlier version of the book doesn't support your questionable claim.

nope, i don't believe you

and that takes us back to your original quote:

a mainstay of reparative therapy involves forced nudity of the "problem child" Children are forced to remove all clothing during both individual and group therapy sessions. this nudity is considered therapeutic and the child with the "troubled relationship" is encouraged to engage in “cuddling” with their father. If the father is unavailable then a the reparative therapist acts as a substitute. - Ref: Shidlo, A.; Schroeder, M.; Drescher, J. eds. Sexual conversion therapy: ethical, clinical, and research perspectives 2011

I doubt very much that the techniques you describe are "a mainstay of reparative therapy". I suspect that they may have been used by fringe practitioners, but that you are deliberately mis-representing how common they were.

because of your record here of being a dishonest scumbag :)

ok doser

Any professional who subjects their patients to a therapy that has been discredited by every medical association in the country, should be prepared to file bankruptcy once their patients start suing them!

the exclamation point really helps! :thumb:

ok doser

only if you want people to have any idea what you're talking about :idunno:

eta: looks like somebody removed the post I was responding to :idunno:

Last edited:

ok doser

Last edited:

Rosenritter

What need is there for pseudoscience practices that don't work and are abusive and damaging in the first place? Hence why they're being systematically outlawed for those very reasons?

Oh, you think it'll turn kids gay or something?

When surveys of youth show that the percentages that think of themselves as gay / bisexual are three times higher than adults in the population now, that does indicate that the public education programming is having some measurable effect. It might be unfair to blame public education entirely: have you seen what Netflix does with their shows now?

ok doser

When surveys of youth show that the percentages that think of themselves as gay / bisexual are three times higher than adults in the population now, that does indicate that the public education programming is having some measurable effect. It might be unfair to blame public education entirely: have you seen what Netflix does with their shows now?

it gays them up?

Rosenritter

it gays them up?

It seems that media has been trying to forcibly insert "gay" agenda into most of the TV shows. I started to notice this a few years back with Dr. Who (which was one of my favorites when I was younger, back when they had Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, it seemed rather wholesome then.) But away from my BBC example and concerning Netflix...

For example, if anyone remembers reading the Douglas Adam's novels (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy) they took the first successful season of a modern version of "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and used the next season to include a secondary a plot line about reuniting a Romeo & Romeo homosexual couple from an alternate dimension. It was totally unnecessary to the main plot, but they wanted it in there. And this is just one example, I noticed this happening in other shows of theirs as well.

The point being that both the school systems and the media entertainment industry is working hard to try to "educate" the youth in such a manner, and it is having a measurable effect of producing sexual confusion among those youth. If one was really "created (or evolved) gay" then programming / brainwashing wouldn't have any effect.

MrDante

can you reference these surveys?

MrDante

It seems that media has been trying to forcibly insert "gay" agenda into most of the TV shows. I started to notice this a few years back with Dr. Who (which was one of my favorites when I was younger, back when they had Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, it seemed rather wholesome then.) But away from my BBC example and concerning Netflix...
are you talking about the significant number of non-white characters featured on the show?