Where Does The Bible Say...? (HOF thread)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: Not So Fast My Friend.....

Re: Re: Re: Not So Fast My Friend.....

Originally posted by JustAChristian

Where did I say that you said that Holy Spirit saves us. Even though you did not say that you strongly implied that the Holy Spirit plays a personal and direct part apart from the Word Of God in one's salvation. I don't believe you are willing to admit that immersion has a part in salvation as Jesus taught in Mark 16:16, so whatever you atribute directly to one's salvation it is not the gospel. I hope I'm wrong but I am going to have to see more evidence before I would think otherwise.

JustAChristian
:angel:
You are a numbskull.

I never said the Holy Spirit played a part seperate from the word of God in salvation. What I said was that one had to already be saved to have the Holy Spirit. You are saying that the Holy Spirit can be upon people who are not in the Lord. That is heresy! The Holy Spirit comes in at salvation, not before, not after. At the moment of. What I attribute to salvation is grace, through faith. And faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word.

greatdivide46

The thief on the cross could not possibly have been baptized as we are commanded because the Bible explains that we are baptized into Christ and into His death. How could the thief be baptized into an event that had not yet occurred? How could he be buried with Christ when Christ had not yet been buried, and the same goes for being raised? If you use this objection to baptism please consider this inconsistency. Many people who emphatically preach that we are saved by the death of Christ want to use as their model someone who was saved before the death of Christ.

My apologies if this has already been addressed in this thread.

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not So Fast My Friend.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not So Fast My Friend.....

Originally posted by lighthouse

You are a numbskull.

I never said the Holy Spirit played a part seperate from the word of God in salvation. What I said was that one had to already be saved to have the Holy Spirit. You are saying that the Holy Spirit can be upon people who are not in the Lord. That is heresy! The Holy Spirit comes in at salvation, not before, not after. At the moment of. What I attribute to salvation is grace, through faith. And faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word.

I with you would strive for consistancy. One day you call me a Twit and the next day you call me a numbskull. what's it going to be; Twit or numbskull? Maybe I'll be something different tomorrow.

Reading Acts 2:38 "Repent and be baptized for the remission of sin and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." The gift and the baptism with the Holy Spirit are not the same. The apostles were baptized with the Holy Spirit but they did not receive Him as a gift. They already had Him in that measure. The coming over the apostles was to give them power to conduct their duty of preaching the gospel without error. Peter recalled this event to the elders; "...And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith." (Acts 15:6-9 AV). Cornelius had not heard the fulness of the gospel and his faith was not developed to the point of salvation when the Spirit came over the household. Peter seeing that God fully concurred with his being with the Gentiles sent forth the Spirit as evidence. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17). Cornelius was saved when he heard and obeyed the command to be baptized given by Peter that day. He then received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit like everyone who hears and obeys the gospel (Romans 1:16; Romans 1:5; Mark 16:16).

In Christ,
JustAChristian

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Originally posted by Aimiel

I wasn't being rhetorical, but I believe you have made my point for me. You worship knowledge 'about' God, I worship The God of All Knowledge, Who makes Himself available to those who seek Him. If you just seek knowledge, that's all that you'll ever get. I guess you worship your own intellect, and are used to having others bow down to it. Excuse me for not genuflecting. :vomit:

“...In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.� (2 Corinthians 4:4 AV)

JustAChristian

BChristianK

Originally posted by greatdivide46

The thief on the cross could not possibly have been baptized as we are commanded because the Bible explains that we are baptized into Christ and into His death. How could the thief be baptized into an event that had not yet occurred?
Paul certainly makes this imagery of baptism clear in the Roman epistle. So, I would agree, that baptism took on additional meaning after the death burrial and ressurection of Christ. But that doesn't mean that the thief on the cross wasn't obligated to be baptized during a time when the gospel of the Kingdom was being proclaimed.

How could he be buried with Christ when Christ had not yet been buried, and the same goes for being raised?
Good question! Here's one for you, how could he be forgiven if he did not undergo a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins?

According to JustaChristian, and I presume yourself since you have encouraged him in his arguments on this thread, no one is saved or forgiven thier sins until they get wet.
If you use this objection to baptism please consider this inconsistency. Many people who emphatically preach that we are saved by the death of Christ want to use as their model someone who was saved before the death of Christ.
I'm not objecting to baptism, I'm objecting to baptismal regeneration.

Grace and Peace

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
greatdivide-
Romans 3:25 shows that all sins that heve ever been forgiven were forgiven because of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.

JustAHeretic-
Acts 15:9 states it plainly enough, that I should not have to repeat it. And verse 10 gives us further insight: "Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?"

These verses are specifically about circumcision. But Christ was circumcised, and so were the twelve, and the sect of Pharisees that Peter was arguing against. So why would Peter say what he did in verse 10? I'll tell you why. Circumcision represented the law. So those who said that the Gentile believers should be circumcised were essentially saying they should keep the law. Because the Bible tells us that those who falter in one aspect of the law falter in it all. And it also tells us that those who seek to keep the law must keep the whole law. And, my favorite thing, the Bible says we are circumcised, not by hands [as members of the Body of Christ], a.k.a. our hearts are circumcised, by God, because of our faith. In that same chapter, a few verses later, it says we are baptized. Now, if we are circumcised, not by hands, why can't we be baptized in the same manner?

Also, salvation comes with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And those who are not saved cannot have the Holy Spirit, in any way,. shape or form. So, if someone has the Holy Spirit, they are already saved. Therefore Cornelius' water baptism [and that of his family] was subsequent* to [their] salvation.

*after the fact

Aimiel

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

“...In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.� (2 Corinthians 4:4 AV)
Has everyone at TOL fallen to the 'Spirit of Squeaky' and begun to use Bible verses to attempt to communicate to others? You have the ability to speak your own words, and thus communicate your thoughts (or, at least, what you believe are your thoughts, when, in fact, much of what you think is doctrines of demons) to others best, by trying to articulate them by means of your own chosen words; as opposed to quoting scripture, to appear 'holier-than-thou.' Don't you realize that type of attitude is a stink in God's Nostrils? He won't even take the 'holier-than-thou' crowd into His Mouth, to spew them out, they will be rejected before He even takes a taste, because of their stench.

Why is it that there are so many people who believe that they have knowledge 'about' God, who have never met Him, who try to convince those who know Him, personally, that He is less than He said He is, and He has proven to them, beyond the shadow of any doubt that they might cast upon The Lord? They are like clouds without rain. Beautiful goblets, that are filthy on the inside. Whitwashed empty vessels. Tombs of many, inside them are dead men's bones. They need to repent. :thumb:

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Has everyone at TOL fallen to the 'Spirit of Squeaky' and begun to use Bible verses to attempt to communicate to others? You have the ability to speak your own words, and thus communicate your thoughts (or, at least, what you believe are your thoughts, when, in fact, much of what you think is doctrines of demons) to others best, by trying to articulate them by means of your own chosen words; as opposed to quoting scripture, to appear 'holier-than-thou.' Don't you realize that type of attitude is a stink in God's Nostrils? He won't even take the 'holier-than-thou' crowd into His Mouth, to spew them out, they will be rejected before He even takes a taste, because of their stench.

Why is it that there are so many people who believe that they have knowledge 'about' God, who have never met Him, who try to convince those who know Him, personally, that He is less than He said He is, and He has proven to them, beyond the shadow of any doubt that they might cast upon The Lord? They are like clouds without rain. Beautiful goblets, that are filthy on the inside. Whitwashed empty vessels. Tombs of many, inside them
are dead men's bones. They need to repent. :thumb:

Aimiel,

You and I know that your heart is set to doing just what you want to do and not what Jesus wants you to do. You need to be born again of water and Spirit in order to enter the kingdom of God. Let me help you study this subject again. Let's look at John 3:3-5 once again.

The new birth involves both water and the Spirit. Note carefully that it is one birth involving two elements - water and the Spirit. It is not two birth (born of water and born of the spirit), but one birth (born of water and the Spirit). If we compare this with Paul’s description in Titus 3:5, we see a washing of regeneration (water) and renewing of the Holy Spirit (Spirit). It can be no doubt that we have here a reference to baptism. What external evidence can we look to for assistance in understanding the water of John 3:3-6? Here is but a few of many...

“There can be no doubt, on any honest interpretation of the Greek words, that "gennethenai ek hudaton" (born of water) refers to the token or outward sign of baptism, "gennethenai ed pneumatos" (born of Spirit) to the thing signified, or inward grace of the Holy Spirit. All attempts to get rid of these two plain facts have sprung from doctrinal prejudices, by which the views of expositors have been warped." Alford (Greek Testament).

“By water, here, is evidently signified baptism.� Albert Barnes. Baptist.

“Baptism by water, into the Christian faith, was necessary to every Jew and Gentile that entered into the kingdom of the Messiah.� Adam Clarke, Methodist.

“There is not any one Christian writer of any antiquity in any language but what understands it of baptism...I believe Calvin was the first that ever denied this place to mean baptism. He gives it another interpretation, which he confessed to be new.� - William Wall (History of Infant Baptism)

The new birth occurs when on is baptized, for in that simple act of faith they are born not only of the water out of which they arise (Rom. 6:3-5), but also born of the spirit (regenerated) but the working of God at that moment (cf. Col. 2:12-13). The new birth involves several elements (water, Spirit, Word of God0, with all coming together when one responds to the gospel in baptism - (e.g. Acts 2:37,38). While there is evidence that one is born of water as they rise from the watery grave of baptism, the evidence of their being born of the Spirit comes later. The evidence of the new birth is seen by the effect of the Spirit. We should expect that what the Spirit produces is spirit (i.e., spiritual - John 3:5). Like the wind (the same Greek word as Spirit0, we do not see the Spirit himself but the effect that He produces – has one been truly born of the Spirit (i.e., born again)? With time there should be clear evidence that a change has occurred (e.g., 1 John 3:14).

In His conversation with Nicodemus, Jesus reveals much about being born again. He discusses the necessity of the new birth (one cannot be a Christian unless he or she is “born again.� He discusses the nature of the new birth (a birth involving both water and the Spirit, i.e., baptism). He discussed the evidence of the new birth (observable by its effects, i.e,. The fruit of the Spirit). He discusses the basis of the new birth (Christ’s sacrifice, God’s love, man’s faith). And He discusses the rejection of the new birth (why many refuse to submit to it). You need to analyze you spiritual position. External evidence is overwhelming that the water of John 3:3-6 involves the water of baptism. Think of the teaching of being born of water and the Spirit as a washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit. Think of the teaching that being born through the Word of God as a responding to the gospel message of salvation (Rom. 1:16). Remember, it was Jesus who said “...he who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.� (Mark 16:16).

JustAChristian :angel:

JustAChristian

Further Comments On The "New Birth" In Christ.

Further Comments On The "New Birth" In Christ.

Nicodemus needed to be reborn because his physical life was not acceptable to gain heaven’s domain. Like everyone who lives on the earth, he was commanded to be born of the water and the Spirit. Without this one cannot enter heaven. This is done when one “...obey (s) from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you� (Rom. 6:17). What is the form of doctrine which was delivered you? It is the gospel. This is all that the apostles delivered when they preached into all the earth (Matthew 28:18-20). One inspired writer tell us that Jesus told the apostles to “Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel (the good news of God’s salvation, justification and glorification (grace) to every creature; he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned� (Mark 16:15-16). Therefore to obey the gospel is to be born again (Hebrews 5:8-9; Matthew 7:21-23).

David was born into a world riddled with sin. No one is born a sinner but the Bible plainly teaches that “...the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth� not in the womb (Gen 8:21). Man is not born evil but digresses at an early age. Ezekiel also wrote that man does not inherit sin saying, “The soul that sinneth it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him� (Ezekiel 18:20).

As for David recognizing his need of a new birth. This concept was never preached by any prophet before Jesus (John 1:17). Those under the preaching of the OLD Testament prophets and the law were to be wholly in obedient to the law for eternal life (Matthew 19:17). Like Abraham, their righteousness is observed in their faith (see Hebrews 11 for the family of faith), and the blood of Christ covers them from the cross (Heb. 9:15). Jesus requires a new nature called “the new birth� under the NEW Testament. “Whosoever will, can partake of the waters of life� (Rev. 22:17). God gives man free will and he must exercise it in obedience of faith (Rom 1:5; Matthew 18:3; John 3:3-5).

Holy Spirit baptism was not possible to bury the old man of sin. We are to bury the old man of sin. The old man of sin is buried in water baptism Since baptism by immersion is essential to the burial of the old man of sin. And since the old man of sin cannot enter into heaven, therefore, it is essential that one be baptized in water in order to enter heaven. If not, why not? “He that believeth�...excludes babies. Babies are “safe� until they know that they have sinned.

JustAChristian

Aimiel

Further comments on JustAChristian's error:

Further comments on JustAChristian's error:

JAC,

You're still carnal, and that is evident in your opposition to learning the truth about The Spirit of The Lord. As I said, you have knowledge that you believe to be true, 'about' God, but isn't, because you've never met Him. You're focusing on the Words, instead of The Living Bread of Heaven.

For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

That's where you live, in a form of religion, learning, but unable.

You and I know that your heart is set to doing just what you want to do and not what Jesus wants you to do.
You believe, but I know. I have a more sure Word of Prophecy, whereunto you would do well to take heed. I have the 'inward witness' of The Holy Ghost, Who has taken up residence inside of me, Who bears witness with my spirit that God's Word is true, and gives me insight into The Truth which is unavailable to those who never seek Him.
The new birth involves both water and the Spirit.
If you believe that, then why did you stop with just the water part?
Holy Spirit baptism was not possible to bury the old man of sin.
Who has said, or tried to defend that premise? You seem to be the only one that has this hang-up. I haven't seen anyone say that The Holy Spirit has been sent to do any such thing, except you.

The Holy Spirit was sent to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgement. He was sent to lead, guide and direct us into all The Truth. He was sent to reveal The Mystery of God to His Servents, the prophets. He reveals all things, even the deep things of God. He was sent so that we would not need to be led about by hand, but to lead us, individually, as He wills. The Lord is That Spirit, and where The Spirit of The Lord is, there is Liberty. :thumb:

JustAChristian

Re: Further comments on JustAChristian's error:

Re: Further comments on JustAChristian's error:

JAC,

You're still carnal, and that is evident in your opposition to learning the truth about The Spirit of The Lord. As I said, you have knowledge that you believe to be true, 'about' God, but isn't, because you've never met Him. You're focusing on the Words, instead of The Living Bread of Heaven.

For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

That's where you live, in a form of religion, learning, but unable.

You believe, but I know. I have a more sure Word of Prophecy, whereunto you would do well to take heed. I have the 'inward witness' of The Holy Ghost, Who has taken up residence inside of me, Who bears witness with my spirit that God's Word is true, and gives me insight into The Truth which is unavailable to those who never seek Him.If you believe that, then why did you stop with just the water part?Who has said, or tried to defend that premise? You seem to be the only one that has this hang-up. I haven't seen anyone say that The Holy Spirit has been sent to do any such thing, except you.

The Holy Spirit was sent to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgement. He was sent to lead, guide and direct us into all The Truth. He was sent to reveal The Mystery of God to His Servents, the prophets. He reveals all things, even the deep things of God. He was sent so that we would not need to be led about by hand, but to lead us, individually, as He wills. The Lord is That Spirit, and where The Spirit of The Lord is, there is Liberty. :thumb:

Just like before; no scripture! Aimiel, you can't justify your stance on your own authority. Every thing you say is just rectorial and without substance. Give me scripture or don't bother to respond.

JustAChristian :angel:

Aimiel

If you can't understand what I say, or believe that God is in me, by the doctrine I hold, I'm sorry that you lack discernment. If you continue to 'demand' that someone be your puppet, and bow to your will, you will be humbled. If you don't wish to realize Truth, or find out The Way to The Lord, then don't seek Him. If you're seeking Him with your whole heart, you're going to find Him, even though that might mean that every single one of your 'sacred cows' get tipped over (read pulled down from their high place of authority). Get rid of that religious spirit that tries to keep you in the dark, by saying that God can't be found, or doesn't exist. He is available, but not by obedience to the doctrines of men. It takes casting aside everything, even your own 'understanding' of Him, to see Him; especially when that is what is hindering Him the most.

greatdivide46

Originally posted by BChristianK

Good question! Here's one for you, how could he be forgiven if he did not undergo a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins?
I kinda think Jesus telling him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise," was enough for the thief to receive forgiveness of sins. Obviously he'd already repented or Jesus wouldn't have said what He did.

According to JustaChristian, and I presume yourself since you have encouraged him in his arguments on this thread, no one is saved or forgiven thier sins until they get wet.
It's my understanding that it's not the getting wet that saves, but what happens during baptism that saves. God could have chosen another means to accomplish the same thing, but the fact is He didn't.

I'm not objecting to baptism, I'm objecting to baptismal regeneration.
Good for you!!! I object to baptismal regeneration too. Just because I believe that people get saved when they're baptized doesn't mean that I believe that it's the getting wet that saves them.

greatdivide46

Originally posted by lighthouse

greatdivide-
Romans 3:25 shows that all sins that heve ever been forgiven were forgiven because of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.
I appreciate this verse, but call me dense 'cuz I can't see what you're tryin' to say in your use of this verse.

Also, salvation comes with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And those who are not saved cannot have the Holy Spirit, in any way,. shape or form. So, if someone has the Holy Spirit, they are already saved. Therefore Cornelius' water baptism [and that of his family] was subsequent* to [their] salvation.

*after the fact
I agree with your assessment that salvation comes with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. However, I don't believe that the Holy Spirit "coming upon on all who heard the message," is indicative of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is indicative of the reception of miraculous gifts (speaking in tongues), but I don't believe they received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit until they were baptized.

BChristianK

I kinda think Jesus telling him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise," was enough for the thief to receive forgiveness of sins. Obviously he'd already repented or Jesus wouldn't have said what He did.
Right, and the problem that a lot of CoC folks have, not lumping you in with them but using them as an illustration, is that they can't conceive of God's sovereignty over the process. If, for some reason, a person absolutely can't be baptized by extenuating circumstances, God had demonstrated that He can save without the waters of baptism.

It's my understanding that it's not the getting wet that saves, but what happens during baptism that saves.
And what is it that you think happens during baptism?
God could have chosen another means to accomplish the same thing, but the fact is He didn't.
You may be surprised at my agreement with you here. I'm not at all thrilled with the "pray the prayer" methodology of salvation embraced by most baptistic churches. The way that God set out for individuals to make a profession of their faith, repentance, confession of Jesus and identification with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection, is through baptism.

Where you and I may disagree is on our discussion as to exactly what moment a person is saved. First, I think that we are too concerned with answering the question as to when exactly is a person saved.

Second, I would disagree somewhat with your following statement
Just because I believe that people get saved when they're baptized doesn't mean that I believe that it's the getting wet that saves them.

And I will allow you the privilege of defining your own position rather than supervene a straw man on your post.

Personally, I think that the Baptists have their own issues, here’s an example.

Jane answers an alter call in a Baptist church. The Pastor asks everyone to close their eyes and she raises her hand prays the sinners prayer. She, along with everyone else who raised their hand, are told, “this is it!� You’re saved, no matter what!� She walks out the back door, discretely picks up a new believer packet, takes it home and looks at it. She notices the information tells her that the first act of Christian obedience is to be publicly baptized as a symbolic expression of her confession of faith. She thinks to herself, “I don’t want to get up in front of all those people and confess that I’m a sinner who needs Jesus. I’m just not sure I’m ready for baptism.�

Two days later she goes to talk to the pastor and tells him that she really doesn’t care to be baptized, maybe she’ll entertain the option sometime in the future but its just not right for her right now. Some Baptist pastors would say, “that’s ok, Jesus doesn’t mind.� I would say, “you might want to consider the possibility that you’re heart really hasn’t accepted Christ, if you’re not willing to obey Him in this first act of obedience, maybe your prayer wasn’t really that sincere.?�

However, I think the CoC gets too dogmatic, again not assuming you’re a member but just comparing similar theologies.

Lets say Jim comes to church on Sunday, and is convicted by the Pastor’s sermon. He goes up to the pastor and says, “I’ve become really convicted tonight about some things in my life. I really feel the need to be baptized and to devote my life to Christ. I believe in Jesus, I believe He died on the cross to save me from my sins, I believe I am a sinner and I repent of my sins, I believe that Christ was raised from the dead and I declare Him my Lord.�

The pastor is elated and schedules a baptism for the very next Sunday. On Wednesday, Jim gets West Nile and is rushed to the emergency room. If you were the pastor and you were called to the hospital when a family member calls you and tells you that Jim has taken a turn for the worse, would you comfort Jim and tell him that it is ok, that God see’s his heart, and when he gets better he’ll be baptized first thing? Would you consider Jim in God’s grace even though hasn’t united what has happened in his heart to the waters of baptism? Or would you tell Jim that he better get well soon, because if he dies without baptism he has a one way ticket straight to the eternal fires of hell!? When Jim gets a little worries you interrupt and authoritatively say, “God requires water baptism by full immersion, and if you don’t make it, you’re out of luck buddy!�

The following example calls into question our ability to let God be sovereign over salvation verses our desire to be secure in our formula.

These two examples help us to determine what formula we have in our minds about salvation.

Is salvation when a person realizes they need baptism and commits to it? When they decide in their heart they need Jesus? When they tell the pastor they really want to be baptized and schedule a time? When they show up for the baptism? When they put on the baptismal robe? When they first get into the water? Are they saved when their toes get wet? How about their ankles? Their waist? Are they saved before the pastor starts to dunk them or after they finished getting dunked? Are they saved before the pastor says, “In the name of… Or does he have to finish his statement before they are saved? If they aspirate water during the baptism and accidentally drown are they lost or saved? What exact moment does a person cross the line from being lost to being saved?

Do you see how ridiculous we can get in trying to pin down God as to when He sovereignly chooses to regenerates us?

JustaChristian asked a counter question in regards to a similar scenario I posed to him. He asked, “Has the gospel been obeyed?�

Good question, here’s another good question. Are we the ones who get to determine when it has and when it hasn’t been obeyed down to the last detail, or is that God’s province?

I feel like I am on pretty good ground scripturally if I say that God absolutely requires baptism, and we are saved by grace through faith. I don’t think you need to be baptized in any one persons denomination or church. I don’t think the pastor has to say any special, magical incantation about the remission of sins in order to activate the saving powers of the baptismal waters. I don’t think that Baptists spiel about being buried with Christ through baptism, raised to walk in new life, in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit is any better or worse than the CoC’s spiel about baptism being done for the remission of sins because I don’t think that the Baptists or the CoC’s script for a baptismal service contains magic words. I don’t think a person with a childlike faith who doesn’t understand fully the meaning of baptism but is obedient in a Baptist church is any more or less saved than a person who wrote a doctoral theological dissertation on baptism before allowing their own baptism in the Church of Christ. And I don't think a person walking out of a church dedicated to Christ and willing to be obedient in baptism at the next oportunity is on thier way to hell just because they haven't gotten wet yet.

The question is, do you?

Just some things to think about.

Grace and Peace

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I appreciate this verse, but call me dense 'cuz I can't see what you're tryin' to say in your use of this verse.
What I am saying is that the death, burial and resurrection of Christ [His blood] is sufficient for the remission of sins.

I agree with your assessment that salvation comes with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. However, I don't believe that the Holy Spirit "coming upon on all who heard the message," is indicative of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is indicative of the reception of miraculous gifts (speaking in tongues), but I don't believe they received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit until they were baptized.
If you think that anyone can exhibit the gifts of the Holy Spirit without being indwelt with the Holy Spirit, you are more than ignorant of the Lord.

JustAChristian

Just Tell Us...

Just Tell Us...

If you can't understand what I say, or believe that God is in me, by the doctrine I hold, I'm sorry that you lack discernment. If you continue to 'demand' that someone be your puppet, and bow to your will, you will be humbled. If you don't wish to realize Truth, or find out The Way to The Lord, then don't seek Him. If you're seeking Him with your whole heart, you're going to find Him, even though that might mean that every single one of your 'sacred cows' get tipped over (read pulled down from their high place of authority). Get rid of that religious spirit that tries to keep you in the dark, by saying that God can't be found, or doesn't exist. He is available, but not by obedience to the doctrines of men. It takes casting aside everything, even your own 'understanding' of Him, to see Him; especially when that is what is hindering Him the most.

Aimiel,

Just tell us what Mark 16:16 means. Also, tell us what Acts 2:38 amd Acts 22:16 means. While you are at it tell us what Galatians 3:27 means.

JustAChristian

JustAChristian

Learning From Seven Verses...

Learning From Seven Verses...

I don’t want to exaggerate, but our main dispute is that the churches of Christ believe that baptism is for the remission of sins. I sincerely believe that it is an ancient, spiritual act of obedience where the grace of God, which saves us, is obtained. I want you to look at only seven passages of Scripture which makes me to believe. See if these passages would make one believe that baptism saves, is in order to obtain remission of sins, or the new birth, or like or similar blessing. Comments appreciated:

“He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved...�Mark 16:16)

“Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.� (John 3:5 )

“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.� (Acts 2:38)

“And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.� (Acts 22:16)

“ Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.� (Romans 6:3-4)

“The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ� (1 Peter 3:21 )

From those seven verses it is evident that one gets at least seven important things from water baptism: salvation, the new birth, remission of sins, a washing away of sins, a getting into the dath of Christ, and a getting into Christ Himself. In general, therefore, baptism is for salvation from sin and like or similar blessing. It is so obvious that we shouldn’t be dwelling on this point.

JustAChristian

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
JustAHeretic-
Are you going to respond to what I had to say? Also, only seven verses? Does that include the context of those verses, or just the verses themselves without the surrounding scripture that shows what they mean?

"Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. For ye are all the children by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ."
-Galatians 3:19-27

But how about this, which was also written by Paul:
"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him, which is the head of all principality and power: In whom also are ye circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by circumcision of Christ: buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead."
-Colossians 2:8-12
If the circumcision is a circumcision without hands, why isn't the baptism?

Aimiel

They Mean that You Don't Think Enough of me to Reply, Except Cryptically!!!

They Mean that You Don't Think Enough of me to Reply, Except Cryptically!!!

Just tell us what Mark 16:16 means. Also, tell us what Acts 2:38 amd Acts 22:16 means. While you are at it tell us what Galatians 3:27 means.
The preceding naming of Bible books, chapters and verses that you expect me to look up for you, as if you have authority over me, to tell me what to do, and what I must believe, in order to satisfy your pharisee-ical whimsy, as if I'm in your little Sunday School class tell me that you don't have the courage to say what is on your mind or maybe that you don't understand what I've said, or, perhaps, you just don't care. Not only is that type of behavior eliteist and rude, but it is childish and ignorant.

Do you have a mouse in your pocket, or a split personality? You keep referring to yourself as 'us.' Are you plural? Who is 'us?' If you think that you're representing Christ by acting this way, you need to think again, and you also need to grow up.

If you have anything to say, then say it. If you have the entire Bible, including books, chapters and verses memorized, I'm proud of you. You get three Brownie buttons. But it doesn't mean squat. It doesn't matter to the discussion. It doesn't matter to me. It doesn't matter to Joe Lost on the street, because he could care less. Most importantly, your type of 'holier-than-thou' disdain doesn't matter to God, except to put a stench in His Nostrils.

Quoting Mark 16:16 at me like it's a cannonball means that you don't believe Mark 16:17.

Firing off a round of Acts 2:38 at me as if it's my execution means that you don't understand that in order to receive The Holy Ghost, you have to give Him permission to come inside, just like when you get saved, you have to ask for salvation.

Throwing Acts 22:16 in my face means that you believe that if you study really hard, find all the right formulas that God has described and follow them to the letter, you'll still be a whitewashed empty vessel, which appears clean on the outside, but inside you're still full of dead men's bones.

Galatians 3:27 means that you have found another clue.

The problem is that you don't believe that God is perfectly capable of Baptizing with The Holy Ghost, and you're trying to prove it with a side show.

You've placed your premises out there. They've all been shot full of holes. You haven't learned one thing. You are more stubborn than most mules I've ever dealt with. Are you a Baptist?