Where Does The Bible Say...? (HOF thread)

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Filled With The Spirit?

Re: Re: Filled With The Spirit?

Originally posted by lighthouse

You're kidding, right? Read Acts 10:47. You quoted it in post #206.

And, Paul constantly states that there is no differentiation between Jew and Gentile in the Body of Christ. And Paul did not preach the law. James stated that we are justified by works, and not faith only. Paul said the completel opposite. They did contradict, each other, yet they saw each other as preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. Why is that?

lighthouse,

Acts 10:47 does not say that Cornelius was “filled with the Holy Spirit.� I concede that the Holy Spirit “fell on all of them that heard the word.� (Acts 10:47). I concede that they began to speak with tongues and magnify God. What I do not concede is that they were saved in the process. The text explains to us the purpose of the manifestation of the Spirit over the household of Cornelius. It is about ten years since Pentecost (Acts 2). Gentiles, at this point have not and are not being taught and converted. No Gentile has obeyed the Gospel. Peter sees a vision of animals and is told what God has cleansed Peter should not call common. Then strangers arrive from a Roman Centurion called Cornelius. He also saw a vision of an angel and was told to send for a man named Peter. Cornelius, a Gentile, is told Peter will speak unto him words whereby Cornelius can be saved (Acts 10:4-6; 15:7). Peter arrives. As a Jew he feels he should not fellowship Gentiles. But after his own vision and after what Cornelius said about the angel Peter finally says, “Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons; but in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is acceptable to him� (Acta 10:35). Then as Peter began to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ unto them, the Holy Spirit fell on them and Peter recalled what Jesus said about the baptism of the Spirit (Acts 10:44-45; 11:15,26). Before Peter finishes with the preaching, he commands Cornelius and those that believe to be immersed in water for the remission of sins (Acts 10:48; 2:38). But the question is asked, “Why did Gentiles receive the baptism with the Spirit?� The answer is found in Acts 15:8. There Peter says, “And God, who knoweth the heart, BARE THEM WITNESS {God bore witness for them (Heb. 2:4), JAC}, giving them the Holy Spirit, even as he did unto us.� In the baptism with the Holy Spirit of Cornelius and his household we find that God is bearing witness that Gentiles can obey the gospel and become Christians. It never occurs again for anyone, and it is never hinted anywhere that it is for all Christians. Only it gave the apostles power and served as a sign concerning Gentiles.

Paul never preached obedience to the Law of Moses. However he did not say that Christians are excused from law (Gal. 6:2; 1 Cor. 9:21). James speaks of the the “perfect law of liberty (Jm. 1:25). The Gospel rule of life, perfect and perfecting (as shown in the Sermon on the Mount,(Mt 5:48), and making us truly walk at liberty. Christians are to aim at a higher standard of holiness than was generally understood under the law of Moses.

Some have thought, among these Luther, that Paul and James were not in agreement on the subject of faith. Those who thus conclude mistake both these inspired men of God. Paul shows that works without faith will not justify, and hence lays the emphasis on faith; James shows that faith without works will not justify, and lays the emphasis on works. Neither teaches that faith alone, or works alone will justify. Paul, indeed, shows that faith alone is worthless (1Co 13:2), and in (Heb 11:1-40), he emphasizes works as the demonstration of faith. The two writers are in agreement, and all seeming disagreement is due to the fact that they are seeking to

JustAChristian

Aimiel

Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Originally posted by JustAChristian

Go back and give me some scripture on what you believe. I can't answer to your opinions, feelings or supositions.
That's your opinion. I'm not your puppet. You need to search for The Lord, not scripture and verse. This is the heart of the problem. You have a 'form' of godliness, but you deny The Power Thereof: The Holy Ghost. :thumb:

BChristianK

JustaChristian, our posts are getting lengthly, I’m going to try to crystallize our argument a bit so that we don’t keep covering the same territory over and over.

I’ll respond to some of the more critical issues of your last post to me.

You have stated that the law that was in affect during Jesus time had nothing to do with baptism and conclude from this that the thief on the cross had no need of baptism to be saved.

However you have yet to show us why Jesus and John were both baptizing and that John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins (essentially what you claim is the purpose of baptism is for today). So what is your answer to this quandary?
No, they were during the dispensation of the Law of Moses, but was not within the confines of the written law. John came preaching and baptizing in approval of Christ as a forerunner of Christ to prepare the way for the entrance of Christ (Mark 1:4)…

John was a forerunner to prepare a people for the coming of Christ. Jesus came to proclaim the gospel of the Kingdom of God, the power of God unto salvation (Mark1:4; 1:14; Romans 1:16)
Right! John was the forerunner to prepare a people for the coming of Christ and Jesus came proclaiming the gospel of the Kingdom of God, and in both of their ministries baptism was practiced, and John specifically says that his was practiced as a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Now, if we take the ICOC’s logic (International Churches of Christ, of which you have all but admitted you are a member of), we must conclude that there was no way for the thief on the cross to be saved. He had never had a baptism for the forgiveness of his sins. The circumstances didn’t permit one, and so he died without one.

Now JAC, you think that you can wiggle your way off the hook by saying that the Law of Moses was the rule of the day and so no baptism was needed during that time frame.
Well beyond the fact that such an argument makes both the baptismal practice of John and the baptismal practice of JESUS UNNECCESARY, which in and of itself degrades both of their ministries and you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting such a thing, you need now to contend with the following scripture.

Luke 16:16 The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.

The Kingdom ( of which you will claim only you and those who are ICOC members are are citizens of) was being preached from John’s ministry forward, and it those who were coming into it were considered citizens of the kingdom having been converted under the message of the gospel of the kingdom of God.

Now, lets, for those innocent bystanders to this discussion, check JAC’s honesty.

JAC, do you consider yourself to be a citizen of the Kingdom? Were you converted under the gospel of the kingdom of God? Were you baptized?

Lets see if JAC will answer these questions. I hope that JAC will be honest enough to answer them directly, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. Because it is pretty clear that the time in which the thief on the cross was living and dying the gospel of the Kingdom of God was being preached and baptism was associated. So though JAC would like to invalidate the importance of baptism during this time so he can duck the question of the thief on the cross, he cannot. The Law had not been totally fulfilled, as that would occur on the cross, but the Kingdom of God was being preached and there were those who were converting, and they were being baptized just like JAC was.

Now JAC, you said said:
Yes, and these people were cleansed of their sins (Luke 3:3), but only to prepare them to receive Christ and the gospel (Luke 8:1; Acts 10:36). When the law of Christ came into effect the message and baptism by John was no longer valid (Acts 19:1-6).
So the gospel of the kingdom was no longer valid after the cross? That doesn’t make sense. But that is also really not the issue, is it? The issue is, was baptism practiced in conjunction with the preaching of the gospel of the kingdom of God between John’s ministry and Jesus’ death? The answer is clearly yes. Did the thief on the cross live between the time of John’s ministry and Jesus death? The answer also is yes. Do you have any reason to believe the thief on the cross was baptized? No. So someone, who came to Christ during the time the gospel of the kingdom was being preached was saved without baptism. Now, JAC will probably again appeal to that fact that the law had not yet been fulfilled until the cross. That’s true, but that does not negate the fact that the way to be saved during John and Jesus’ ministry wasn’t the law, were it so all sorts of Pharisees and Sadducees would have been saved during that time without any need of abiding in the preparing ministry of John or even in accepting the Jesus’ preaching of the gospel of the Kingdom. If JAC is saying that because the law was in affect, believing the gospel of the Kingdom of God was optional. Then he needs to go back to his discipler for some more theological training because that’s not even what the ICOC would claim.

So JAC, do you think the gospel of the Kingdom preached by Jesus was optional too?

JAC said:
On the contrary, it is my understanding that baptism was for the remission of sins. However, the eternal gospel was not yet being preached for Christ had not died and been raised.
So the Gospel of the Kingdom (gospel of God) isn’t the “eternal gospel� which is extant today? Boy, I wish you were around to correct Jesus when He said:

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

You’ve painted yourself into quite a corner JAC :chuckle:

Now, JAC backtracks and tries to salvage an argument we have already done away with, a sign of his theological desperation at this point.
It can not be ascertained if this man was baptized under John’s baptism or if he was even a Jew.
You sure can’t, so there’s no sense in speculating as such, is there? Such speculation would clearly not be “following the bible and only the bible� would it?
If he was a Jew and heard the message of John the baptizer, he should have obey the massage and been baptized.
Right!
He would have then had his sins forgiven by God for obedience to John’s message and prepared for the coming of the Messiah.
Right!
He would not have been subjected to the eternal gospel for Christ was not yet dead and raised for the dead.
There you go again, correcting Jesus.
:nono:

Luke 16:16 "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.

Explain to me what is different between the Gospel of the Kingdom which was proclaimed during the time of John and Jesus and then how that is different from the “eternal Gospel� that you are talking about, and then, if you don’t mind, explain to me how Jesus was wrong to say that the gospel of the kingdom will be the one preached to all the world when you seem to be claiming that this isn’t really the one, it is the ‘eternal Gospel.’

Then, when you’ve finished trying to answer these questions and realize you can’t, then perhaps you will be humble enough to admit you have advanced a false dilemma between the gospel of the Kingdom and the eternal gospel. When, and if, you do this, admit you don’t have the foggiest as to how the thief on the cross got saved!
:D

Go back and get some help from your discipler on this one. See how the party line ICOC theology digs itself out of this mess.

Now lets move on to the next issue, Peter’s sermon in Acts 2 and his experience in Acts 10.
JAC said:
“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.� (Acts 2:38 AV)
� Peter preached, they questioned “What shall we do?�
� “Repent and be baptized for the remission of sins.�
� As a result of being obedient to the command of the apostle, “...and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit...�
Sort of. Most likely the concepts of repentance and baptism weren’t dual commands but rather two dimensions of one contiguous idea.

Now to Acts 10:
“Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?� (Acts 10:47 AV)

â—? Peter preached the gospel received from Christ (Matthew 28:18-20).
Right, BTW, well get to an explanation of how the ICOC really jacks up Matthew 28 in my next post.
:chuckle:
â—? While he was preaching the Holy Spirit came in a baptismal form over the household of Cornelius like it did on Pentecost over the apostles (Acts 11:15), not to save them but as a sign to Peter and his accompaniment from Joppa.
So this was just a sign to Peter and had nothing to do with their belief, salvation, etc.. nothin’, right? We’ll see about that…
â—? Peter understood the baptismal measure of the Holy Spirit over the household of Cornelius to mean that what he was doing in being there and preaching was the will of God.
â—? Baptism was administered to those that believed.
How did Peter know they believed? He was preaching, the Holy Spirit came upon Cornelius and his household, Peter says something which is really peculiar under your interpretation of these verses.

Acts 10:47-48 "Can anyone withhold the water for baptizing these people who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?" 48 So he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they invited him to stay for several days.

Did Peter received the Holy Spirit as an unsaved person? Did those whom he preached to in Acts 2:38 receive the holy spirit before they repented and believed?

Yea, you see, you have to make a pretty daft claim that the Holy Spirit all of a sudden came down upon the unsaved house of Cornelius in order to salvage your ICOC theology, that just says you’re desperate to hold onto something that is clearly unscriptural when applied to acts 10.
â—? While he was preaching the Holy Spirit came in a baptismal form over the household of Cornelius like it did on Pentecost over the apostles (Acts 11:15), not to save them but as a sign to Peter and his accompaniment from Joppa.
Oh, I see, so the receiving of the Holy Spirit saves in Acts 2:38 but not Acts 10 because the ICOC says so.
:down:
â—? Baptism was administered to those that believed.
Sure, and the fact that the Holy Spirit came upon them was a sign of their belief, and that God had come upon them and His Spirit was placed in them as a seal of their salvation. Just like the Apostles.

John 14:17 This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.

You see, the world cannot receive the Holy Spirit because it doesn’t see or know Him. But the Apostles knew Jesus and therefore knew the Spirit, and when Jesus sent Him (on pentacost) The Holy Spirit indwelt them, Cornelius and his household received the spirit just as the disciples did so it is an illogical and unscriptural argument to say that Cornelius had the same experience as the disciples did when they recieved the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit did not indwell him,.

Now lets deal with your mathematical axiom treatment of the scripture.

A mathematical axiom helps us to understand this better. “The whole of anything is the sum of its parts.� When you add up all the parts you see the whole. There is also a “figure of speech� called a “synecdoche.� The synecdoche is the exchange of one idea for an associated idea. While metonymy is an exchange between two related nouns, the synecdoche is an exchange made between two associated ideas. The synecdoche is a figure of speech where a part is put for a whole, and where a whole is put for a part. It involves putting a singular for a plural and a plural for a singular. The Bible abounds with this figure of speech. Jesus used this figure of speech when he taught the disciples to pray “...give us this day our daily bread...� Bread is a “synecdoche� which stand for all the physical needs one needs. Believe in the verse Acts 16:31 is a singular verb placed for a plural and as such it stands for the whole of that which is needed in order to be obedient. It includes, faith in Christ as God’s Son, repentance of sins, confession of Christ publically, and baptism for the remission of sins. Understanding the axiom that the whole of anything consist of the sums of its parts and the figure of speech “synecdoche� will help you to see that each picture of conversion does not necessarily have to express every need unto salvation each time.
And it is quite convenient that you let the ICOC define the theological idea that eisegetically defines the “synecdoche� instead of exegeting what scripture says. If I point to a passage where Paul clearly shows that believe or confession of Christ is sufficient for salvation, you pull out your convenient synechdoche argument and say that he meant all the stuff you say he meant.

That’s reckless scriptural interpretation. If the text cannot stand alone without your eisegeting it for us under the guise of “synechdoche� then don’t lie and say that you “only believe what the bible says.� Do I think Paul assumed that those who believed in Ephesians 1:13 were baptized as a public profession of that belief? Probably. Do I have the right to just read belief and baptism when it says belief? ABSOLUTELY NOT! If Paul says,

Ephesians 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession-- to the praise of his glory.

Then I had best take it as it stands, or leave it alone.

Revelation 22:18-19 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

You best not tinker with it either! And don’t think that you will be able to stand before God and say, “well, ya see Jesus, if we look at it like a mathematical axiom…blah, blah....synechdoche…�

That won’t cut it friend!
JustAChristian responds:
If a missionary shares information on God being our Creator with a unbeliever but does not have time during his sermon to where he talks about Christ and one of his listeners falls dead, will the person have eternal life in light of John 8:24 and Acts 4:12?\n\1/n/ What about repentance? \n\2/n/What about confession? \n\3/n/What about baptism? Has the gospel been obeyed? I would invite you to take a moment and study 2nd Thess. 1:8 and Rom. 2:8.
First, I would invite you to quite inviting me :chuckle:.
Now as to your questions.

As far as Thess 1:8 and Romans 2:8 are concerned, did the thief on the cross “obey the gospel?�
Did Cornelius? Can you show me where Cornelius 1. repented, 2. Confessed. 3. was baptized after doing these things? (please show me how they did all those things according the criteria set forth in First Principles.)
You keep wanting to reduce the gospel to a set of instruction akin to a manual for installing a car stereo. That’s perhaps the what’s most ridiculous about McKean’s First Principles, they reduce the work of God in man to a step by step method that he defines. Furthermore, the ICOC prescribes judgments on the completeness of each step with the eyes of man not through the eyes of God. I’ve heard of people actually being denied baptism because the new disciple didn’t go through the human made bible study to the satisfaction of the discipler! May God have mercy on those disciplers who did so.

You asked:

Do you not sense the need to preach the pure unadulterated gospel of Christ?
I do, I hope ICOC will unadulterated the gospel so that they can do so as well. McKean’s first principles have added to God’s word and adulterated it so much that I fear for him and for those who follow him.

Generally people are not baptized because of the way they have been taught. There are those who have not been taught. There are also those who will never be taught. God is a righteous judge on each situation and will judge righteously. Because you and I know what the Bible says on baptism we are without excuse to fail to obey it.

No argument here.

Now lets cut to the chase, be an upfront kinda guy and answer this question straight up for us all.

“do you think the ICOC is the only true church today?�

Regarding Jesus statement to Nicodemus:
One view makes baptism, referred to by ex udatoj (coming up out of water), essential to the birth of the Spirit, as the means of obtaining the new birth of the Spirit. If so, why is water mentioned only once in the three demands of Jesus(vv. 3,5,7)?
Looking for some comment by JustaChristian to answer this…
Now I believe of course that water can only be referring to water baptism. In the same chapter we read, “After these things came Jesus and his disciples inot the land of Judea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. “After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized� (John 3:22-23 AV). So water and baptism are firmly linked in this chapter.
Ok, now that is a good, exegetical answer that employs sound biblical exegesis. :thumb:

Unfortunately, it completely obliterates your previous argument that baptism wasn’t necessary before the cross.

:BRAVO: Congratulations you have aptly and skillfully refuted your own argument.

So now the problem of the thief on the cross is an even bigger problem for you. If water (baptism) and spirit are necessary for rebirth for Nicodemus then you’ll have to explain to me why baptism wasn’t necessary before the cross. Wasn’t Nicodemus’ conversation with Jesus before the cross?

I’ll tell you what, I’ll stop here and give you some time to pull yourself out of the pit you have gotten yourself into.

Pick a lane, either baptism was necessary for Nicodemus and therefore necessary for the thief on the cross or you are misinterpreting John 3? Which is it?

I did want to answer one question you posed to me specifically.
It is apparent that regardless what I may reply to you that you have a preconceived notion that whatever I have to say is not going to be considered. If you wish to communicate with an open mind then I am willing to proceed....
First off, I don’t have any preconceived notions about the ICOC, I’ve spoken with more than one person in the ICOC (both ended up lying to try to get me to join btw) so my notions come from the ICOC directly. Nonetheless, I’ll not even supervene those experience on you. If you can show scripturally and logically that the ICOC is the only faithful church on the planet, then I’ll join it.

But I’ll subject its claims to the same biblical scrutiny that they demand of other traditions for example.
in the mean time, where does the Bible said if one will accept the Lord Jesus as their personal savior then they will be saved?
Romans 10:9
Romans 10:9-10 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Now its your turn? Where in the bible does it say that if you go through the First Principles written by Kip McKean you will be saved?

Grace and Peace

Last edited:

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Originally posted by Aimiel

That's your opinion. I'm not your puppet. You need to search for The Lord, not scripture and verse. This is the heart of the problem. You have a 'form' of godliness, but you deny The Power Thereof: The Holy Ghost. :thumb:

More rhetoric! Give us scripture!

JustAChristian :angel:

JustAChristian

Correct Your Assertion....

Correct Your Assertion....

Originally posted by BChristianK

JustaChristian, our posts are getting lengthly, I’m going to try to crystallize our argument a bit so that we don’t keep covering the same territory over and over.

You have stated that the law that was in affect during Jesus time had nothing to do with baptism and conclude from this that the thief on the cross had no need of baptism to be saved.

However you have yet to show us why Jesus and John were both baptizing and that John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins (essentially what you claim is the purpose of baptism is for today). So what is your answer to this quandary?

Right! John was the forerunner to prepare a people for the coming of Christ and Jesus came proclaiming the gospel of the Kingdom of God, and in both of their ministries baptism was practiced, and John specifically says that his was practiced as a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Now, if we take the ICOC’s logic (International Churches of Christ, of which you have all but admitted you are a member of), we must conclude that there was no way for the thief on the cross to be saved. He had never had a baptism for the forgiveness of his sins. The circumstances didn’t permit one, and so he died without one.

Now JAC, you think that you can wiggle your way off the hook by saying that the Law of Moses was the rule of the day and so no baptism was needed during that time frame.
Well beyond the fact that such an argument makes both the baptismal practice of John and the baptismal practice of JESUS UNNECCESARY, which in and of itself degrades both of their ministries and you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting such a thing, you need now to contend with the following scripture.
[/color]
The Kingdom ( of which you will claim only you and those who are ICOC members are are citizens of) was being preached from John’s ministry forward, and it those who were coming into it were considered citizens of the kingdom having been converted under the message of the gospel of the kingdom of God.

Now, lets, for those innocent bystanders to this discussion, check JAC’s honesty.

JAC, do you consider yourself to be a citizen of the Kingdom? Were you converted under the gospel of the kingdom of God? Were you baptized?

Lets see if JAC will answer these questions. I hope that JAC will be honest enough to answer them directly, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. Because it is pretty clear that the time in which the thief on the cross was living and dying the gospel of the Kingdom of God was being preached and baptism was associated. So though JAC would like to invalidate the importance of baptism during this time so he can duck the question of the thief on the cross, he cannot. The Law had not been totally fulfilled, as that would occur on the cross, but the Kingdom of God was being preached and there were those who were converting, and they were being baptized just like JAC was.

Now JAC, you said said:
So the gospel of the kingdom was no longer valid after the cross? That doesn’t make sense. But that is also really not the issue, is it? The issue is, was baptism practiced in conjunction with the preaching of the gospel of the kingdom of God between John’s ministry and Jesus’ death? The answer is clearly yes. Did the thief on the cross live between the time of John’s ministry and Jesus death? The answer also is yes. Do you have any reason to believe the thief on the cross was baptized? No. So someone, who came to Christ during the time the gospel of the kingdom was being preached was saved without baptism. Now, JAC will probably again appeal to that fact that the law had not yet been fulfilled until the cross. That’s true, but that does not negate the fact that the way to be saved during John and Jesus’ ministry wasn’t the law, were it so all sorts of Pharisees and Sadducees would have been saved during that time without any need of abiding in the preparing ministry of John or even in accepting the Jesus’ preaching of the gospel of the Kingdom. If JAC is saying that because the law was in affect, believing the gospel of the Kingdom of God was optional. Then he needs to go back to his discipler for some more theological training because that’s not even what the ICOC would claim.

So JAC, do you think the gospel of the Kingdom preached by Jesus was optional too?

JAC said:

So the Gospel of the Kingdom (gospel of God) isn’t the “eternal gospel� which is extant today? Boy, I wish you were around to correct Jesus when He said:
[/color]
You’ve painted yourself into quite a corner JAC :chuckle:

Now, JAC backtracks and tries to salvage an argument we have already done away with, a sign of his theological desperation at this point.

You sure can’t, so there’s no sense in speculating as such, is there? Such speculation would clearly not be “following the bible and only the bible� would it?

Right!

Right!

:nono:
[/color]
Explain to me what is different between the Gospel of the Kingdom which was proclaimed during the time of John and Jesus and then how that is different from the “eternal Gospel� that you are talking about, and then, if you don’t mind, explain to me how Jesus was wrong to say that the gospel of the kingdom will be the one preached to all the world when you seem to be claiming that this isn’t really the one, it is the ‘eternal Gospel.’

Then, when you’ve finished trying to answer these questions and realize you can’t, then perhaps you will be humble enough to admit you have advanced a false dilemma between the gospel of the Kingdom and the eternal gospel. When, and if, you do this, admit you don’t have the foggiest as to how the thief on the cross got saved!
:D

Go back and get some help from your discipler on this one. See how the party line ICOC theology digs itself out of this mess.

Now lets move on to the next issue, Peter’s sermon in Acts 2 and his experience in Acts 10.
JAC said:

Sort of. Most likely the concepts of repentance and baptism weren’t dual commands but rather two dimensions of one contiguous idea.

Now to Acts 10:

Right, BTW, well get to an explanation of how the ICOC really jacks up Matthew 28 in my next post.

So this was just a sign to Peter and had nothing to do with their belief, salvation, etc.. nothin’, right? We’ll see about that…

How did Peter know they believed? He was preaching, the Holy Spirit came upon Cornelius and his household, Peter says something which is really peculiar under your interpretation of these verses.
[/color]
Did Peter received the Holy Spirit as an unsaved person? Did those whom he preached to in Acts 2:38 receive the holy spirit before they repented and believed?

Yea, you see, you have to make a pretty daft claim that the Holy Spirit all of a sudden came down upon the unsaved house of Cornelius in order to salvage your ICOC theology, that just says you’re desperate to hold onto something that is clearly unscriptural when applied to acts 10.

Oh, I see, so the receiving of the Holy Spirit saves in Acts 2:38 but not Acts 10 because the ICOC says so.
:down:

Sure, and the fact that the Holy Spirit came upon them was a sign of their belief, and that God had come upon them and His Spirit was placed in them as a seal of their salvation. Just like the Apostles.

[/color]
You see, the world cannot receive the Holy Spirit because it doesn’t see or know Him. But the Apostles knew Jesus and therefore knew the Spirit, and when Jesus sent Him (on pentacost) The Holy Spirit indwelt them, Cornelius and his household received the spirit just as the disciples did so it is an illogical and unscriptural argument to say that Cornelius had the same experience as the disciples did when they recieved the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit did not indwell him,.

And it is quite convenient that you let the ICOC define the theological idea that eisegetically defines the “synecdoche� instead of exegeting what scripture says. If I point to a passage where Paul clearly shows that believe or confession of Christ is sufficient for salvation, you pull out your convenient synechdoche argument and say that he meant all the stuff you say he meant.

That’s reckless scriptural interpretation. If the text cannot stand alone without your eisegeting it for us under the guise of “synechdoche� then don’t lie and say that you “only believe what the bible says.� Do I think Paul assumed that those who believed in Ephesians 1:13 were baptized as a public profession of that belief? Probably. Do I have the right to just read belief and baptism when it says belief? ABSOLUTELY NOT! If Paul says,
[/color]
[/color]
You best not tinker with it either! And don’t think that you will be able to stand before God and say, “well, ya see Jesus, if we look at it like a mathematical axiom…blah, blah....synechdoche…�

First, I would invite you to quite inviting me :chuckle:.

As far as Thess 1:8 and Romans 2:8 are concerned, did the thief on the cross “obey the gospel?�
Did Cornelius? Can you show me where Cornelius 1. repented, 2. Confessed. 3. was baptized after doing these things? (please show me how they did all those things according the criteria set forth in First Principles.)
You keep wanting to reduce the gospel to a set of instruction akin to a manual for installing a car stereo. That’s perhaps the what’s most ridiculous about McKean’s First Principles, they reduce the work of God in man to a step by step method that he defines. Furthermore, the ICOC prescribes judgments on the completeness of each step with the eyes of man not through the eyes of God. I’ve heard of people actually being denied baptism because the new disciple didn’t go through the human made bible study to the satisfaction of the discipler! May God have mercy on those disciplers who did so.

You asked:

I do, I hope ICOC will unadulterated the gospel so that they can do so as well. McKean’s first principles have added to God’s word and adulterated it so much that I fear for him and for those who follow him.

No argument here.

Now lets cut to the chase, be an upfront kinda guy and answer this question straight up for us all.

Ok, now that is a good, exegetical answer that employs sound biblical exegesis. :thumb:

Unfortunately, it completely obliterates your previous argument that baptism wasn’t necessary before the cross.

:BRAVO: Congratulations you have aptly and skillfully refuted your own argument.

So now the problem of the thief on the cross is an even bigger problem for you. If water (baptism) and spirit are necessary for rebirth for Nicodemus then you’ll have to explain to me why baptism wasn’t necessary before the cross. Wasn’t Nicodemus’ conversation with Jesus before the cross?

I’ll tell you what, I’ll stop here and give you some time to pull yourself out of the pit you have gotten yourself into.

Pick a lane, either baptism was necessary for Nicodemus and therefore necessary for the thief on the cross or you are misinterpreting John 3? Which is it?

First off, I don’t have any preconceived notions about the ICOC, I’ve spoken with more than one person in the ICOC (both ended up lying to try to get me to join btw) so my notions come from the ICOC directly. Nonetheless, I’ll not even supervene those experience on you. If you can show scripturally and logically that the ICOC is the only faithful church on the planet, then I’ll join it.

But I’ll subject its claims to the same biblical scrutiny that they demand of other traditions for example.

Now its your turn? Where in the bible does it say that if you go through the First Principles written by Kip McKean you will be saved?

Grace and Peace

BChristianK,

I clearly explained to you in the previous post that I was not affiliated with the International Church of Christ. I am sure that you read it, too. I am expecting that you extend to me the courtasy of deleting any reference to the ICOC before I will continue any communication. You can send me an email if and when you make the corrections.

JustAChristian

BChristianK

Re: Correct Your Assertion....

Re: Correct Your Assertion....

Ok, I just checked your profile, and you are much too "seasoned" to be an ICOC member, so I'm guessing you’re an old school Church of Christ type fellow. You can help me out by being up front with what church you belong to.

If so, do you affirm or deny Max Lucado’s position on baptism?

So I apologize for associating you with the ICOC. However, your claims and the ICOC's claims share some pretty clear commonalities.

1st. That baptism is necessary for salvation no matter what with attempts to dance and wiggle around the thief on the cross that lead you to contradict scripture.

2nd, your turning the act of obeying the gospel into a "easy to follow 4 step method" that reads more like the cooking directions of a microwave dinner than it does the mysterious work of God in man.

So, if you would like to answer just these questions for me, I'd appreciate it.

1. Did Jesus teach the same gospel you believed in His earthly ministry?

2. Do you think that Jesus was prescribing baptism to Nicodemus in John 3?

3. Was the thief on the cross saved?

4. Can you show me in the bible where he was baptized?

5. Do you consider baptisms performed at churches not affiliated with your particular tradition valid baptisms?

6. If not, then why?

7. Is belief sufficient for salvation as Paul repeatedly suggests it is?

Grace and Peace

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: Filled With The Spirit?

Re: Re: Re: Filled With The Spirit?

lighthouse,

Acts 10:47 does not say that Cornelius was “filled with the Holy Spirit.� I concede that the Holy Spirit “fell on all of them that heard the word.� (Acts 10:47). I concede that they began to speak with tongues and magnify God. What I do not concede is that they were saved in the process.
No. What you fail to concede is that they were saved before receiving the Holy Spirit. How can one have the Spirit if they are not already saved? And since I have covered the rest of what I was willing to read [of your post], I have said all I need to say.

greatdivide46

BChristianK,

I would dearly love to answer the questions you posed to JustAChristian in your post #226. Would you mind if I did?

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Correct Your Assertion....

Ok, I just checked your profile, and you are much too "seasoned" to be an ICOC member, so I'm guessing you’re an old school Church of Christ type fellow. You can help me out by being up front with what church you belong to.

So I apologize for associating you with the ICOC. However, your claims and the ICOC's claims share some pretty clear commonalities.

1st. That baptism is necessary for salvation no matter what with attempts to dance and wiggle around the thief on the cross that lead you to contradict scripture.

2nd, your turning the act of obeying the gospel into a "easy to follow 4 step method" that reads more like the cooking directions of a microwave dinner than it does the mysterious work of God in man.

5. Do you consider baptisms performed at churches not affiliated with your particular tradition valid baptisms?

6. If not, then why?

Grace and Peace

I am a member of the fellowship of Christians in the churches of Christ. I trace my roots to the 1st century church and to people who affirm the New Testament to be the will of God for today. I believe that the pattern of the New Testament church is in "blueprint form" within the scriptures of the apostles and faithful writers. I believe one can be a Christian and just a Christian if they will follow the New Testament pattern of worship and service.

I am not in fellowship with Max Lucado. I consider him an apostate of the Lord's church. I do not know his position on baptism. I believe he teaches one is saved by grace alone.

I admit to these "commonalities" because it is apostates of the Lord's New Testament church that started the International Churches of Christ. I assure you that breathern of mine do not fellowship this apostate group.

6. If not, then why?

I expect to address each and every point you bring up. I hope you will extend me the courtesy to read them and comment without rhetoric using book, chapter and verse for your conclusions. I am on "dial up" and have to "cut and paste' my posting for I can't afford DSL and that other stuff. Be patient and I will get to you.

In Christ,
JustAChristian

JustAChristian

BChristianK,

Having accepted your last post explaining your understanding of my religious position I am happy to answer the many question, statements and quotes as best I can. Looking forward to your response.

BchristianK asks or responds saying:

JustAChristian answers saying:
John came preaching and baptizing in approval of Diety as a forerunner of Christ to prepare the way for the entrance of Christ (Mark 1:4). Baptism before the cross was for remission of sins and baptism after the cross was for remission of sins. However, they were not for remission of sins in pecisely the same way, nor having precisely the same particulars. The first was “unto� the remission of sin in prospect of the death of Christ, the other was for the remission of sins in reality, since Christ had truly died. Jesus came preaching the kingdom of Heaven. His disciples baptized. J.W. McGarvey, the noted 19th century commentariest gives us this point:

“Jesus, as divine Lawgiver, instituted baptism, and his disciples administered it. We nowhere hear of the disciples of John administering baptism. In fact, the Baptist, like the disciples of Jesus, baptized under a divine commission, and could not delegate the power to others. It was the office of Jesus to commission others to this work, not to perform it himself. Had he done so, those baptized by him might have foolishly claimed for themselves some peculiar honor by reason thereof (1Co 1:14,15). Jesus was the spiritual baptizer, in which baptism the efficacy lies in the administrant; but water baptism, the efficacy of which lies rather in the spirit of the one baptized than in the virtues of the administrant, Jesus left to his disciples.�

I have stated to you earlier that I have no affiliation with the International Churches of Christ. You are aware of this. Your assertion to the ICOC is with bias and indifference. If you persist in placing me with this group I will cease communication.

You and I do not know if the thief was never baptized before the cross. The practice was wide spread. Many from Judea came to John’s baptism. No doubt may of Jesus’ disciples baptized. What I am saying is that your argument is moot. Jesus took the thief to Paradise with him that day. That is all we can conclude for sure.

The Mosaic Law never commanded baptism for the remission of sins. “The Law and prophets were unto John. Since then the Kingdom of God is preached and the people pressed unto it� (Luke 16:16). Jesus never discounted the mission of John nor did John discount the mission of Jesus. Was Jesus’ baptism by his disciples effectual? God spoke from heaven, “This is my beloved Son� showing approval of His work. Jesus never discouraged the keeping of the Law during His administration (Matthew 19:11). The apostles never preached it after His death.

1.Yes
2.I was converted by the preaching of the Gospel commissioned after the cross (Mt. 28:18-20).
3.Yes
4. Yes
Next question.

So though JAC would like to invalidate the importance of baptism during this time so he can duck the question of the thief on the cross, he cannot. The Law had not been totally fulfilled, as that would occur on the cross, but the Kingdom of God was being preached and there were those who were converting, and they were being baptized just like JAC was.

The only person I know that is trying to invalidate baptism is you. You have not invalidated my argument about the thief, but have given us a lot of rhetoric without scope. Why don’t you get on with it and discredit my conclusion or at least give it some effort.

Jesus preached that the kingdom was at hand (Mark 1:15). His message had heavenly credence. The kingdom of God came into effect on Pentecost. Jesus gave the “keys of the kingdom� unto Peter to open the doors of entrance. Peter standing with the eleven preached “Repent and be baptized for the remission of sin and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit� (Acts 2:38). On that day, about 3,000 were baptized and entered into the kingdom bing added to the church.

Matthew 24:14 “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.�

My reference to the gospel of the kingdom prior to the cross is the “prefatory� gospel of Christ. Jesus preached the kingdom was at hand, to shortly come to be (Mark 9:1). The preaching of the kingdom after the cross never referenced that the kingdom was at hand. The kingdom is always present tense (God)�...Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son(Colossians 1:13-14 AV). . To this extent they are different.

You’ve painted yourself into quite a corner JAC

Only in your mind...

Really?

(Thief on the cross, JAC) You sure can’t, so there’s no sense in speculating as such, is there? Such speculation would clearly not be “following the bible and only the bible� would it?

What I so ably pointed out was that the point is “moot.� Jesus forgave sins and saved many verbally before the cross (Matt. 9:2,5; Luke 7:47-48).

quote:

If he was a Jew and heard the message of John the baptizer, he should have obey the massage and been baptized.

Right!

No comment

quote:

He would have then had his sins forgiven by God for obedience to John’s message and prepared for the coming of the Messiah.

Right!

Again, no comment.

quote:

He would not have been subjected to the eternal gospel for Christ was not yet dead and raised for the dead.

Really? How?

quote:

Luke 16:16 "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.

I have already answered on this above...

If I didn’t know it for sure I’d say I’ve “hit a nerve�... Are you fully confident of your statement? The thief was saved just like many who were saved from their sins during Jesus’ ministry. But, after the Lord’s death we are saved by obeying the commandment of the Lord Jesus Christ into salvation preached and written by the apostles and faithful inspired writers (John 20:30-31).

Not worthy of comment.

I believe their faith in the Lord from the preaching of Peter is implied by the scripture. Likewise confession of Christ as Lord would have been done as in the case of Philip and the eunuch in Acts 8. That which is commanded is what Peter saw was yet lacking; Repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. The gift of indwelling of the Spirit comes as a result of obedience (Acts 2:38; Romans 8:9). A fact does not need to be repeated over and over again in order to be true and essential. Once established as truth and essential it remains truth and essential in all cases. If not, why not?

Now to Acts 10:

What does BTW mean?

Be sure to use book chapter and verse.

I believe their faith in the Lord from the preaching of Peter is implied by the scripture. Likewise confession of Christ as Lord would have been done as in the case of Philip and the eunuch in Acts 8. I feel that you would agree if every “jot� and “tittle� of every circumstance of Christ and the apostles was recorded in the New Testament it would be an impossible book to work with. I continue to believe that once a truth is establish and is essential it remains established and essential.

Read John 20:22. The gift of the Holy Spirit is a result of obedience and not a prerequisite to salvation.

“And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost [by and indwelling measure, JAC], even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by [“obedience of�– Romans 1:5, JAC] faith.� (Acts 15:7-9 AV)

Where have I ever stated that the receiving of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:38 saves? Show me the posting. On your mark, get set, GO!

Again, where does it say that the Holy Spirit came upon the household of Cornelius as a sign of their belief? Go back and read Peter’s referencing Acts 2:2-4 to the Jewish breathren in Acts 11. Also, where does it say that this manifestation of the Holy Spirit was a seal of their salvation?

The Holy Spirit upon the apostles and the household of Cornelius were of the same order: “And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.� (Acts 2:2-4 AV)
Peter said the very same thing happened at the house of Cornelius. The apostles were saved prior to this event so the Spirits manifestation was not to save them, neither was it to save the household of Cornelius.

There is also a “figure of speech� called a “synecdoche.� The synecdoche is the exchange of one idea for an associated idea. While metonymy is an exchange between two related nouns, the synecdoche is an exchange made between two associated ideas. The synecdoche is a figure of speech where a part is put for a whole, and where a whole is put for a part. It involves putting a singular for a plural and a plural for a singular. The Bible abounds with this figure of speech. Jesus used this figure of speech when he taught the disciples to pray “...give us this day our daily bread...� Bread is a “synecdoche� which stand for all the physical needs one needs. Believe in the verse Acts 16:31 is a singular verb placed for a plural and as such it stands for the whole of that which is needed in order to be obedient. It includes, faith in Christ as God’s Son, repentance of sins, confession of Christ publically, and baptism for the remission of sins. Understanding the axiom that the whole of anything consist of the sums of its parts and the figure of speech “synecdoche� will help you to see that each picture of conversion does not necessarily have to express every need unto salvation each time.

Oops, Sorry! I must have hit a nerve... You have yet to clearly explain or otherwise how “believe or confession of Christ� separate from baptism for the remission of sins is sufficient for salvation� You can’t look to Romans 10 or to any scripture in the epistles for conditions of salvation. The epistles were written to the saved church, not to people who are unsaved. It is not an evangelistic letter. We gain edification from the epistles. Paul and the other writers relate how hearing the gospel, faith in Christ, confession of Him as the Son of God and being immersed for the remission of sins has brought us into Christ and His church. We look to the teaching of Jesus to his apostles in the giving of the commission to go into all the world with a message of salvation for conditions of salvation. As to the synecdoche argument, I see you commented on it but didn’t refute it.

It was God through the prophet Isaiah Who said, “...come let us reason together...� (Isaiah 1:18). He expects through study and reasoning that a disciple could “right divide the word of truth (2 Tim. 2:15). However, you give no grounds for such a conclusion yourself. Why? When you come around to prayerfully investigating the “synecdoche argument� you might change your mind.
quote:

Ephesians 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession-- to the praise of his glory.

If you don’t want to deny grammar and its rules then I would take it as it stands..

“For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. (Hebrews 5:12-14 AV)

First, I would invite you to quite inviting me .

I keep hitting nerves...Sorry!

The prefatory or the eternal gospel?

Did Cornelius? Can you show me where Cornelius 1. repented, 2. Confessed. 3. was baptized after doing these things? (please show me how they did all those things according the criteria set forth in First Principles.) You keep wanting to reduce the gospel to a set of instruction akin to a manual for installing a car stereo. That’s perhaps the what’s most ridiculous about McKean’s First Principles, they reduce the work of God in man to a step by step method that he defines. Furthermore, the ICOC prescribes judgments on the completeness of each step with the eyes of man not through the eyes of God. I’ve heard of people actually being denied baptism because the new disciple didn’t go through the human made bible study to the satisfaction of the discipler! May God have mercy on those disciplers who did so.

As I said earlier, unless you are willing to listen to rules of grammar and accept the concept of the “synecdoche� it is not likely that I will ever convience you on anything. What the ICOC does is beyond by control. I have the duty of preaching and teaching the eternal gospel of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20). That gospel requires one to hear and believe the good news that Jesus has suffered, died and was raised from the dead according to the scriptures (1 Cor. 15:1-6; Acts 17:2); that He requires that man confess Him publically (Matthew 10:32-33); that He requires that man repent of sins (Luke 13:3-5); and that He requires man to be baptized for the remission of sins. He has promised forgiveness to all who faithfully obey His will (Heb. 5:8-9).

You asked:
quote:
Do you not sense the need to preach the pure unadulterated gospel of Christ?

I have the same sympathy for those who follow him and not Christ.

quote:

Generally people are not baptized because of the way they have been taught. There are those who have not been taught. There are also those who will never be taught. God is a righteous judge on each situation and will judge righteously. Because you and I know what the Bible says on baptism we are without excuse to fail to obey it.

No argument here.

I have never supported the ICOC as I have told you. I judge, based on what I know of its cultist methods that it is not in harmony with God. I believe what you are really wanting to know is do I believe I am in the only church that will be saved. Right?
Let me answer you thus. If Jesus has established His church and we believe He has. And, if He established a territory for His kingdom the church, the whole world. And, if He established a law for His church the kingdom of God which He did, the New Testament gospel and covenants. And if He promised to reward those with salvation who would obey the gospel(Mark 16:16) and add them to His church (Acts 2:41-47), knowing that Jesus has founded only one church (Matthew 16:18-20; Eph. 4:4-5; Col. 1:18), and knowing that factions within the church is unscriptural (1 Cor. 1:13). Would it not behoove me to search out the church in the New Testament and follow its precepts as it presented them? This is merely what I have done. I believe that if I faithfully do what they did in word or in deed (Col. 3:17) that God will be pleased and save me eternally.

quote:

One view makes baptism, referred to by ex udatoa (coming up out of water), essential to the birth of the Spirit, as the means of obtaining the new birth of the Spirit. If so, why is water mentioned only once in the three demands of Jesus(vv. 3,5,7)?

Context strongly rules in any situation. If it is clearly made a part of the command to be born again why does it have to be repeated in each verse? You must remember verses came many years after the Gospel was recorded. Context would have it written once as though sufficient by the Lord and the inspired writer.

Ok, now that is a good, exegetical answer that employs sound biblical exegesis.

The gospel of the kingdom is at hand was a prefatory gospel. The Jews that heard John and Jesus preach it were expected to obey its requirement to be baptized for the remission of sins in preparation for the coming of the kingdom. Jesus was able and did forgive sins verbally in many cases as I have shown. What is your problem?

Congratulations you have aptly and skillfully refuted your own argument.

How?

Nicodemus was told what was necessary to enter into the kingdom of God, the church of Christ. This could not have been accomplished until Christ established His church. He must first suffer and die and be resurrected. He must be witnessed of His resurrection. He must be commissioned with His kingdom. This all did not happen in the context of Jesus teaching Him in John chapter 3. Peter preached entrance into the kingdom. This happen the first Pentecost day after Christ’s resurrection. Nicodemus, like all the other Pharisees were subject to John’s baptism of preparation (Matthew 3:7). We later see him faithful in service to the Lord at his burial (John 19:39). I believe he became a faithful Christian. Perhaps even at the preaching of the apostles on Pentecost.

I believe I have stated my position thoroughly.

quote:

It is apparent that regardless what I may reply to you that you have a preconceived notion that whatever I have to say is not going to be considered. If you wish to communicate with an open mind then I am willing to proceed....

First off, I don’t have any preconceived notions about the ICOC, I’ve spoken with more than one person in the ICOC (both ended up lying to try to get me to join btw) so my notions come from the ICOC directly. Nonetheless, I’ll not even supervene those experience on you. If you can show scripturally and logically that the ICOC is the only faithful church on the planet, then I’ll join it. But I’ll subject its claims to the same biblical scrutiny that they demand of other traditions for example.

I would not wish the ICOC on you or anyone, but I would wish that you investigate the New Testament church of Christ. Here is a link to assist you: http://cofc.abbottpages.com/

quote:

in the mean time, where does the Bible said if one will accept the Lord Jesus as their personal savior then they will be saved?

It is not in that verse. Romans 10:9 applies to the saved not the unsaved. We must rightly divide the scriptures.

quote:

Romans 10:9-10 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

This goes without a need to respond.

In Christ,

JustAChristian

6. If not, then why?

Grace and Peace

JustAChristian responds saying:

Yes

Yes

Yes

No, not directly.

If they are instituted on a confession of faith that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God and is for the remission of sins they would be like the New Testament method.

6. If not, then why?
No comment necessary

If belief encompasses the fullness of the plan of salvation consisting of hearing the gospel, having faith in Christ, repenting of sin, confessing Christ publically and being baptized for the remission of sins.

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Filled With The Spirit?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Filled With The Spirit?

No. What you fail to concede is that they were saved before receiving the Holy Spirit. How can one have the Spirit if they are not already saved? And since I have covered the rest of what I was willing to read [of your post], I have said all I need to say.

Did they "receive the Holy Spirit" or was the Holy Spirit manifested like it was over the apostles on Pentecost? (Acts 2:2-4). Cornelius and his household was not saved until they heard words (the gospel of Jesus Christ) from Peter and obeyed his command for them to be baptized. After they obey the commandment unto salvation they are saved (Mark 16:16). The saved who are immersed for the remission of sins receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Heretic.:rolleyes:

Are you saying that the Holy Spirit was poured out on those who were not already saved? You're a perverter of God's truth, just like your master.

JustAChristian

Not So Fast My Friend.....

Not So Fast My Friend.....

Heretic.:rolleyes:

Are you saying that the Holy Spirit was poured out on those who were not already saved? You're a perverter of God's truth, just like your master.

lighthouse,

The gospel, not the Holy Spirit is the power of God unto salvation; to the Jew first but also to the Gentile (Greek) (Romans 1:16-17

Cornelius, a Roman Centurian and Gentile is the first Gentile in the New Testament to hear the Gospel. This conceres with what Peter says: And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe." (Acts 15:7).

Faith comes by hearing and not by the Holy Spirit baptism.
You would have to conclude that Cornelius and his household was saved without the knowledge of the Gospel commands for Peter was sent to them to tell them "what they must do." (Acts 10:6). The text tells us that Peter commanded them to be baptized (Acts 10:48). This is the only thing showing that Peter told them to do, so we must conclude until they obeyed the command they were not saved (Mark 16:16). If you have proof on your point give it to us. However, I believe you must retreat to my explination or fail in your exegesis of the scriptures.

Last edited:

BChristianK

John came preaching and baptizing in approval of Diety as a forerunner of Christ to prepare the way for the entrance of Christ (Mark 1:4). Baptism before the cross was for remission of sins and baptism after the cross was for remission of sins. However, they were not for remission of sins in precisely the same way, nor having precisely the same particulars. The first was “unto� the remission of sin in prospect of the death of Christ, the other was for the remission of sins in reality, since Christ had truly died. Jesus came preaching the kingdom of Heaven. His disciples baptized. J.W. McGarvey, the noted 19th century commentariest gives us this point:

mcGarvey’s point being wholly immaterial to our discussion, I fail to see how your claiming that baptism looked forward to the death of Christ during John’s ministry and baptism looking back at the death of Christ in the Great Commission solves the theological problems plaguing you with the thief on the cross. Because they look to temporal events (Christ’s death) from different temporal vantage points doesn’t make either ‘before the cross baptisms’ or ‘after the cross baptisms’ any less optional or mandatory and you have yet to provide us with a scriptural answer to suggests as much. Jesus spoke to Nicodemus of the necessity of baptism before the cross (as you have interpreted this passage).

So your argument that the thief on the cross was an exception to your theological rule because he died before the culmination of the death and resurrection is still contradicted by your own argument that Jesus spoke to Nicodemus of the necessity of baptism before the cross.
I have stated to you earlier that I have no affiliation with the International Churches of Christ. You are aware of this. Your assertion to the ICOC is with bias and indifference. If you persist in placing me with this group I will cease communication.
Like I said, if you say your not an ICOC’er, than that’s sufficient for me, but the substance of the argument stands. Don’t think that you can simply ignore the scriptural principles and logic I advanced because you’re not ICOC. Your own interpretation of John 3 contradicts your statements on the thief on the cross whether you are in the ICOC or not!
You and I do not know if the thief was never baptized before the cross.
Right, so no need to speculate, remember “bible only.� Not imaginary speculations.
The practice was wide spread. Many from Judea came to John’s baptism.
So was foot washing, but we shouldn’t speculate that Jesus washed the thief’s feet because it was a “widespread practice� now should we.?

No doubt may of Jesus’ disciples baptized.
Yup, so?
What I am saying is that your argument is moot.
It would be convenient for you if it were, but it isn’t. You have, in holy scripture, an example you cannot find a suitable explanation to, that contradicts your theology of baptism.

Now you can say “its just moot.� And go on believing what you have always believed, but don’t lie and say that you do with the council of the “whole bible� because with that comment you have chosen to ignore a biblical example.
Jesus took the thief to Paradise with him that day. That is all we can conclude for sure.
Right, and we can conclude that he did so against your theology that salvation must come when one repents confesses and is baptized (in that order) without exception.
The Mosaic Law never commanded baptism for the remission of sins.
Didn’t need to, John did and so did Jesus (according to you, John 3).

In short, my paragraph abides and clearly shows you theological inconsistency.
quoted by me

Now that this argument is dealt with, you have made some claims that I would like to address.
(1)You have yet to clearly explain or otherwise how “believe or confession of Christ� separate from baptism for the remission of sins is sufficient for salvation� (2)You can’t look to Romans 10 or to any scripture in the epistles for conditions of salvation. The epistles were written to the saved church, not to people who are unsaved. It is not an evangelistic letter. We gain edification from the epistles. Paul and the other writers relate how hearing the gospel, faith in Christ, confession of Him as the Son of God and (3)being immersed for the remission of sins has brought us into Christ and His church. (4)We look to the teaching of Jesus to his apostles in the giving of the commission to go into all the world with a message of salvation for conditions of salvation.
There’s a lot here to deal with. (1), I wouldn’t undertake to prove that belief or confession of Christ separate from baptism is sufficient for salvation. I have said, and continue to maintain, that a person who refuses baptism (given that they have an accurate understanding of baptism, and even if they only see it as the first act of obedience) has refused to abide in the NT prescribed rite of the public profession of faith. The problem is in trying to separate faith from baptism in the first place. One is baptized because of their faith. That does not make the baptismal right the means of regeneration.

I’m not one of those that say that salvation is totally separate from confessing the Lordship of Christ.
(2) Romans was in fact written as an edificatory letter to believers. That does not prove that the standards of salvation included in Romans 10:9 are incomplete. Luke-Acts wasn’t written to nonbelievers either. (3), Paul and others do relate how hearing the gospel and faith in Christ are sufficient for salvation.

Now the fact that Ephesians was written to believers is insufficient to disprove Paul’s statement of how they were sealed with the Holy Spirit.

Your attempt to make the epistles unavailable as sources of soteriological information is prejudicial and does not reflect a theology that is inclusive of the “whole bible.�

The bottom line is you either believe that they were included in Christ when they heard and believed or you don’t. It appears you don’t.

(3), You continue to talk about baptism for the remission of sins. You seem to have an affinity for talking about one part of Peter’s command in Acts 2:38 to the exclusion of the other.

Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Now there are a number of ways to interpret this passage, it is not, much to your chagrin probably, a cut and dry issue. You are pretty clear that unless one is baptized (for the remission of sins) one is not saved. I assume you mean that the convert is made to understand that without the water their sins are not remitted, or that the pastor or baptizer has to say something to the affect that the baptism is for the remission of sins or the baptism isn’t valid.
Both claims would be problematic. The first is contrary to 1 Peter 3:21 that says clearly that it is not the removal of dirt from the body that saves us but the pledge of a good conscience toward God The second claim clashes with Matthew 28:19 as baptism is done in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and Romans 6:4 which employs imagery of being buried with Christ. As such I don’t think that saying anything about remission of sins is a magical incantation to activate the saving powers of the water nor do I think that the water itself removes sins from a person, it simply removes dirt from the flesh. These arguments aside however, your claim makes an assumption about Acts 2:38 that requires more substantiation than you have provided. The interpretation of Acts 2:38 that your assumptions rest upon are merely one of many viable interpretations.

One interpretation is that repentance is the operative command that is for the forgiveness of sins with Baptism being done in the name of Jesus Christ. (Some Baptist’s interpretation)
Another interpretation is that baptism is to be done in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins. (Some Church of Christ Interpretations)
Another interpretation is that “repent� and “be baptized� is one unified command, both of which are to be done in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of their sins. (Of which some Church of Christ personalities like Max Lucado and some Baptists have embraced similar interpretations)

The passage is, to say the least, difficult to hang theology on standing on its own. As such we should look to other speeches in Acts to help us determine what Peter was getting at (as we can give Peter the benefit of the doubt that he was speaking consistently).

Here’s one help.

Acts 3:19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Here we have no mention of baptism whatsoever. And this isn’t tucked away in some epistle that you would like to relegate away from soteriological commentary, it is contextually Peter speaking to his fellow Jews. Clearly, Peter is here associating the wiping away of sins and times of refreshing from the Lord with repentance, and no mention of baptism.

Interestingly, you also see belief tied to “adding to their number�

Acts 4:4 But many who heard the message believed, and the number of men grew to about five thousand.

(4),
If what you say is true and we do look to the teaching of the apostles to tell us what in needed for salvation then we should also include the following quotes into our consideration.

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

According to you, some who believe (if they aren’t baptized to your liking) will be condemned.

John 6:29 Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

No mention of baptism here.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26 and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Apparently you would have the woman answer, “no, I don’t believe this, I will die unless I interpret Acts 2:38 according to the Church of Christ and am baptized while understanding that it is for the remission of my sins.�

John 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Of course John is wrong here (according to your theology), one does not have life in his name through believing it, is through being baptized according the formula of the Church of Christ.

My friend, if we are going to have a biblically informed soteriology we must use the entire bible to have one and that means balancing the sufficiency of faith with the clear command to be baptized.

I don’t want to be unfair here. The Church of Christ has stood out as a tradition that holds baptism more closely related to salvation than the Baptists, and I think that the practice of most Baptist churches needs correction. Baptism isn’t an afterthought, it is a command to be taken seriously as the Church of Christ has done. But the Church of Christ (not all of them mind you, there are many who are following Max Lucado into a more reasonable view of baptism) has reduced the gospel to a formulaic expression. Are we to be baptized? Absolutely! Do the waters of baptism save? Absolutely not!
It is the pledge of a clear conscience toward God that justifies us not removal of dirt from the flesh. Now one who has truly believed should be baptized straight away, but the thief on the cross clearly demonstrates that it is the work of God in our souls that saves, it is the work of the Holy Spirit to regenerate us that saves and He can and does choose to do so at His own discretion, entering the soul of Cornelius and in so doing sealing his soul for salvation before Cornelius ever touched the water of baptism. And awakening the soul of the thief on the cross and sealing him unto salvation knowing full well that no baptismal waters would be applied to this man.

God does not need us to get wet to save us. But we need to pledge ourselves to the Lord and baptism is the way we declare that we have been sinners, and that our hearts have repented, that we believe that Christ has died for us and we with Christ. That we believe that Christ has raised from the dead, and we with Christ, and that we walk in new life.

Grace and Peace be with you.

Last edited:

greatdivide46

JustAChristian,
A word of encouragement from a like-minded Christian. I agree with most of what you're saying, although, of course, I would probably express it a little differently.

Anyway, keep up the good work. :BRAVO:

Aimiel

Re: Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Inside Info from The Holy Spirit of The Lord!!!

More rhetoric! Give us scripture!
I wasn't being rhetorical, but I believe you have made my point for me. You worship knowledge 'about' God, I worship The God of All Knowledge, Who makes Himself available to those who seek Him. If you just seek knowledge, that's all that you'll ever get. I guess you worship your own intellect, and are used to having others bow down to it. Excuse me for not genuflecting. :vomit:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Re: Not So Fast My Friend.....

Re: Not So Fast My Friend.....

lighthouse,

The gospel, not the Holy Spirit is the power of God unto salvation; to the Jew first but also to the Gentile (Greek) (Romans 1:16-17

Cornelius, a Roman Centurian and Gentile is the first Gentile in the New Testament to hear the Gospel. This conceres with what Peter says: And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe." (Acts 15:7).

Faith comes by hearing and not by the Holy Spirit baptism.
You would have to conclude that Cornelius and his household was saved without the knowledge of the Gospel commands for Peter was sent to them to tell them "what they must do." (Acts 10:6). The text tells us that Peter commanded them to be baptized (Acts 10:48). This is the only thing showing that Peter told them to do, so we must conclude until they obeyed the command they were not saved (Mark 16:16). If you have proof on your point give it to us. However, I believe you must retreat to my explination or fail in your exegesis of the scriptures.

You twit.

When did I ever say that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is what saves us? Whjat I said was that we have to be saved, in order to recieve the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Not So Fast My Friend.....

Re: Re: Not So Fast My Friend.....

You twit.

When did I ever say that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is what saves us? Whjat I said was that we have to be saved, in order to recieve the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Where did I say that you said that Holy Spirit saves us. Even though you did not say that you strongly implied that the Holy Spirit plays a personal and direct part apart from the Word Of God in one's salvation. I don't believe you are willing to admit that immersion has a part in salvation as Jesus taught in Mark 16:16, so whatever you atribute directly to one's salvation it is not the gospel. I hope I'm wrong but I am going to have to see more evidence before I would think otherwise.

JustAChristian
:angel:

JustAChristian

BChristianK,

I think I have duplicated enough! Would you grab a point or two and not post so much at one time? I don't have time to handle your long posts. I have kept my quotes that you referenced last in for clarification in some points.

Post #235 of 235

quote:

John came preaching and baptizing in approval of Diety as a forerunner of Christ to prepare the way for the entrance of Christ (Mark 1:4). Baptism before the cross was for remission of sins and baptism after the cross was for remission of sins. However, they were not for remission of sins in precisely the same way, nor having precisely the same particulars. The first was “unto� the remission of sin in prospect of the death of Christ, the other was for the remission of sins in reality, since Christ had truly died. Jesus came preaching the kingdom of Heaven. His disciples baptized. J.W. McGarvey, the noted 19th century commentariest gives us this point:

BChristianK responds saying:
McGarvey’s point being wholly immaterial to our discussion, I fail to see how your claiming that baptism looked forward to the death of Christ during John’s ministry and baptism looking back at the death of Christ in the Great Commission solves the theological problems plaguing you with the thief on the cross. Because they look to temporal events (Christ’s death) from different temporal vantage points doesn’t make either ‘before the cross baptisms’ or ‘after the cross baptisms’ any less optional or mandatory and you have yet to provide us with a scriptural answer to suggests as much. Jesus spoke to Nicodemus of the necessity of baptism before the cross (as you have interpreted this passage).

So your argument that the thief on the cross was an exception to your theological rule because he died before the culmination of the death and resurrection is still contradicted by your own argument that Jesus spoke to Nicodemus of the necessity of baptism before the cross.

JustAChristian further answers saying:
Until you are willing to look at my argument that the scriptures clearly imply that the thief was verbally forgiven of sins while Christ was yet alive (Luke 24:43), we will never be able to move forward on the subject of present day salvation through the effectual cleansing by the blood in baptism (Acts 22:16).

Jesus preached the kingdom of heaven was at hand (Matthew 4:17). This could not mean the realm of God’s throne because that was present. Jesus would receive His kingdom at His glorification (Daniel 7:14; Matt. 28:18; Heb. 12:28). Entrance into the kingdom would come about with the new birth. The new birth comes at the obedience to the gospel (Romans 1:16; 1 Peter 1:22-23, 25; James 1:18). Therefore, Nicodemus was “born again� when he obeyed the truth, the word of God, was saved and added to the kingdom of Christ (Acts 2:47)

quote:

Like I said, if you say your not an ICOC’er, than that’s sufficient for me, but the substance of the argument stands. Don’t think that you can simply ignore the scriptural principles and logic I advanced because you’re not ICOC. Your own interpretation of John 3 contradicts your statements on the thief on the cross whether you are in the ICOC or not!

Jesus preach baptism before the cross as a prefatory gospel that the kingdom was at hand. Nicodemus could not enter a kingdom that was not yet established. He was subject to the Law of Moses until the New Covenant was ratified by the shed blood of Christ. He entered the kingdom in due order like everyone else. I am surprised at you. You shouldn’t have a problem with this. It is common sense.

quote:

You and I do not know if the thief was never baptized before the cross.

Right, so no need to speculate, remember “bible only.� Not imaginary speculations.

It is you who wants to persist the argument, not me.

quote:

The practice was wide spread. Many from Judea came to John’s baptism.

So was foot washing, but we shouldn’t speculate that Jesus washed the thief’s feet because it was a “widespread practice� now should we.?

Not worthy of considering.

quote:

No doubt may of Jesus’ disciples baptized.

Yup, so?

quote:

What I am saying is that your argument is moot.

It would be convenient for you if it were, but it isn’t. You have, in holy scripture, an example you cannot find a suitable explanation to, that contradicts your theology of baptism. Now you can say “its just moot.� And go on believing what you have always believed, but don’t lie and say that you do with the council of the “whole bible� because with that comment you have chosen to ignore a biblical example.

Why don’t you just try to prove that Mark 16:16 is non- essential and get on with it!

quote:

Jesus took the thief to Paradise with him that day. That is all we can conclude for sure.

Right, and we can conclude that he did so against your theology that salvation must come when one repents confesses and is baptized (in that order) without exception.

Why aren’t you attacking my argument of Jesus forgiving the thief of sins prior to His death?

quote:

The Mosaic Law never commanded baptism for the remission of sins.

Didn’t need to, John did and so did Jesus (according to you, John 3). In short, my paragraph abides and clearly shows you theological inconsistency.

The thief on the cross never heard the gospel. That thief on the cross who was to be with Christ in Paradise never heard the good news of the kingdom and the full gospel. The gospel of the kingdom in establishment had never gone into effect. He was not under the will that says "he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved." (Mark 16:16). I have covered this point I believe, all sufficiently. However, if you feel you can still be saved like the thief on the cross, let me suggest you get some 6X6's and a few rusty spikes and get with it!

quote:
quoted by me
Congratulations you have aptly and skillfully refuted your own argument.

So now the problem of the thief on the cross is an even bigger problem for you. If water (baptism) and spirit are necessary for rebirth for Nicodemus then you’ll have to explain to me why baptism wasn’t necessary before the cross.

Wasn’t Nicodemus’ conversation with Jesus before the cross? Now that this argument is dealt with, you have made some claims that I would like to address.

The fullness of the context of Nicodemus does not lead me to conclude that he became a full disciple perhaps until perhaps about the time he assisted with the embalming (John 19:39) for he was clearly continuing in his position in the court of the Jews (John 7:50). Record does not relate at what time he was “born again.�

quote:

(1)You have yet to clearly explain or otherwise how “believe or confession of Christ� separate from baptism for the remission of sins is sufficient for salvation� (2)You can’t look to Romans 10 or to any scripture in the epistles for conditions of salvation. The epistles were written to the saved church, not to people who are unsaved. It is not an evangelistic letter. We gain edification from the epistles. Paul and the other writers relate how hearing the gospel, faith in Christ, confession of Him as the Son of God and (3)being immersed for the remission of sins has brought us into Christ and His church. (4)We look to the teaching of Jesus to his apostles in the giving of the commission to go into all the world with a message of salvation for conditions of salvation.

There’s a lot here to deal with. (1), I wouldn’t undertake to prove that belief or confession of Christ separate from baptism is sufficient for salvation. I have said, and continue to maintain, that a person who refuses baptism (given that they have an accurate understanding of baptism, and even if they only see it as the first act of obedience) has refused to abide in the NT prescribed rite of the public profession of faith. The problem is in trying to separate faith from baptism in the first place. One is baptized because of their faith. That does not make the baptismal right the means of regeneration.

Baptism in the New Testament is “for the remission of sin� (Acts 2:38) and “putting on Christ� (Gal. 3:27). When we “obey from the heart that form of doctrine� (Romans 6:14-17) our sins are washed away (Acts 22:16) and added to the church of the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 2:47). I have never separated faith from baptism. You will not look to my argument of a “synecdoche� which makes faith all inclusive of that which is essential to salvation.

I’m not one of those that say that salvation is totally separate from confessing the Lordship of Christ. (2) Romans was in fact written as an edificatory letter to believers. That does not prove that the standards of salvation included in Romans 10:9 are incomplete. Luke-Acts wasn’t written to nonbelievers either. (3), Paul and others do relate how hearing the gospel and faith in Christ are sufficient for salvation.

I am just saying that what is found in Romans is the information to increase the faith of the saved. The plan of salvation is not contained in the text, because it is not intended for the unsaved but to increase the faith of the saved.
quote:

Now the fact that Ephesians was written to believers is insufficient to disprove Paul’s statement of how they were sealed with the Holy Spirit.

I don’t content it does.

Your attempt to make the epistles unavailable as sources of soteriological information is prejudicial and does not reflect a theology that is inclusive of the “whole bible.� The bottom line is you either believe that they were included in Christ when they heard and believed or you don’t. It appears you don’t.

Find in the context the plan of salvation to the unsaved and I am found in error.

(3), You continue to talk about baptism for the remission of sins. You seem to have an affinity for talking about one part of Peter’s command in Acts 2:38 to the exclusion of the other.

Rhetoric, pure rhetoric....get on with it!! I assumed you were someone beyond “need of milk�
(Heb. 5:12).
quote:

Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Now there are a number of ways to interpret this passage, it is not, much to your chagrin probably, a cut and dry issue.

I can’t believe I’m reading this...!

You are pretty clear that unless one is baptized (for the remission of sins) one is not saved. I assume you mean that the convert is made to understand that without the water their sins are not remitted, or that the pastor or baptizer has to say something to the affect that the baptism is for the remission of sins or the baptism isn’t valid.

Peter said it is for the remission of sins...didn’t he? The Greek word “Eis� which is interpreted “for� in the accusative case looks forward, doesn’t it?

Both claims would be problematic. The first is contrary to 1 Peter 3:21 that says clearly that it is not the removal of dirt from the body that saves us

I never said it did...

but the pledge of a good conscience toward God

Amen...

The second claim clashes with Matthew 28:19 as baptism is done in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and Romans 6:4 which employs imagery of being buried with Christ.

Don’t follow where you are going with this...

As such I don’t think that saying anything about remission of sins is a magical incantation to activate the saving powers of the water

The command is to be baptized...not in sand...not in Jell-o...not in whip cream or whatever....but in WATER. I didn’t set the parameters; God did! Why do you question the order of God. Where is your faith?

...nor do I think that the water itself removes sins from a person , it simply removes dirt from the flesh.

I never said it did! Does Jesus require us to deliberate this out before we do it? Aren’t we to walk by faith and not by sight (2 Cor. 5:7).

These arguments aside however, your claim makes an assumption about Acts 2:38 that requires more substantiation than you have provided. The interpretation of Acts 2:38 that your assumptions rest upon are merely one of many viable interpretations. One interpretation is that repentance is the operative command that is for the forgiveness of sins with Baptism being done in the name of Jesus Christ. (Some Baptist’s interpretation). Another interpretation is that baptism is to be done in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins. (Some Church of Christ Interpretations) Another interpretation is that “repent� and “be baptized� is one unified command, both of which are to be done in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of their sins. (Of which some Church of Christ personalities like Max Lucado and some Baptists have embraced similar interpretations). The passage is, to say the least, difficult to hang theology on standing on its own. As such we should look to other speeches in Acts to help us determine what Peter was getting at (as we can give Peter the benefit of the doubt that he was speaking consistently).

I’ll go along with that. Didn’t I tell you earlier that the “whole of anything is the sum of its parts.� I didn’t think you’d ever get around to that point.

Here’s one help.

quote:

Acts 3:19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Okey...

Here we have no mention of baptism whatsoever. And this isn’t tucked away in some epistle that you would like to relegate away from soteriological commentary, it is contextually Peter speaking to his fellow Jews. Clearly, Peter is here associating the wiping away of sins and times of refreshing from the Lord with repentance, and no mention of baptism. Interestingly, you also see belief tied to “adding to their number�

It doesn’t say anything about believing in Christ (John 8:24), nor confessing Christ as did the eunuch, but surely you see the importance of obeying John 8:24 and Matthew 10:32-33?

quote:

Acts 4:4 But many who heard the message believed, and the number of men grew to about five thousand.

Here is a good “synecdoche� for you... You haven’t disproved my argument on synecdoches.

(4), If what you say is true and we do look to the teaching of the apostles to tell us what in needed for salvation then we should also include the following quotes into our consideration.

quote:

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Figure of speech called a “Synecdoche!.� A synecdoche is when one word stands for the whole. Read your English grimmer or get someone to help you on this!

According to you, some who believe (if they aren’t baptized to your liking) will be condemned.

“My liking� has nothing to do with it and you know it.

quote:

John 6:29 Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

Synecdoche, pure and simple...!

No mention of baptism here.

quote:

John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26 and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Apparently you would have the woman answer, “no, I don’t believe this, I will die unless I interpret Acts 2:38 according to the Church of Christ and am baptized while understanding that it is for the remission of my sins.�

I don’t want to exaggerate, but our main dispute with you is that the churches of Christ believe that baptism is for the remission of sins. I sincerely believe that it is an ancient, spiritual act of obedience where the grace of God, which saves us, is obtained. I want you to look at only seven passages of Scripture which makes me to believe. See if these passages would make one believe that baptism saves, is in order to obtain remission of sins, or the new birth, or like or similar blessing. Comments appreciated:

“He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved...�Mark 16:16)

“Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.� (John 3:5 )

“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.� (Acts 2:38)

“And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.� (Acts 22:16)

“ Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.� (Romans 6:3-4)

“The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ� (1 Peter 3:21 )

From those seven verses it is evident that one gets at least seven important things from water baptism: salvation, the new birth, remission of sins, a washing away of sins, a getting into the dath of Christ, and a getting into Christ Himself. In general, therefore, baptism is for salvation from sin and like or similar blessing. It is so obvious that we shouldn’t be dwelling on this point.

quote:

John 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Of course John is wrong here (according to your theology), one does not have life in his name through believing it, is through being baptized according the formula of the Church of Christ.

I have thoroughly addressed faith only with you. Salvation is not by faith alone (James 2:24). The gospel of salvations requires obedience of faith (Romans 1:5; Eph 2:8) in order to obtain salvation

My friend, if we are going to have a biblically informed soteriology we must use the entire bible to have one and that means balancing the sufficiency of faith with the clear command to be baptized.

You’re beginning to sound like a Democrat and not a Christian. By the way, do they have Democrats were you are?

I don’t want to be unfair here. The Church of Christ has stood out as a tradition that holds baptism more closely related to salvation than the Baptists, and I think that the practice of most Baptist churches needs correction. Baptism isn’t an afterthought, it is a command to be taken seriously as the Church of Christ has done. But the Church of Christ (not all of them mind you, there are many who are following Max Lucado into a more reasonable view of baptism) has reduced the gospel to a formulaic expression. Are we to be baptized? Absolutely! Do the waters of baptism save? Absolutely not! It is the pledge of a clear conscience toward God that justifies us not removal of dirt from the flesh. Now one who has truly believed should be baptized straight away, but the thief on the cross clearly demonstrates that it is the work of God in our souls that saves, it is the work of the Holy Spirit to regenerate us that saves and He can and does choose to do so at His own discretion, entering the soul of Cornelius and in so doing sealing his soul for salvation before Cornelius ever touched the water of baptism. And awakening the soul of the thief on the cross and sealing him unto salvation knowing full well that no baptismal waters would be applied to this man.

Since you look to external sources, such as Max Lucado, as authority for your position, I thought I would search out some external sources as well. Let us look what some of the early Christians thought about baptism. We have to admit that they were closer to the immediate apostolic teaching then we are. Here is what I have researched and found:

BARNABUS (probably early second century, near the time that John died). “Let us inquire if the Lord was careful to make a revelation in advance concerning the water and the cross...Blessed are those who placed their hope in his cross and descended into the water...We descend into the water full of sins and uncleanness, and we ascend bearing reverence in our heart and having hope in Jesus in our spirit.� (Book of Barnabus 111:1,8,11).

SHEPHERD OF HERMAS (early second century). “Your life was saved and will be saved through water...I have heard, ‘Sir, from some teachers that there is no other repentance except that one when we descended into the water and received he forgiveness of our former sins’...He said to me, “You heard correctly for it is so...� (Mandate, IV, iii, 1). “The seal then is the water. They descend then into the water dead and they ascend alive. The seal itself, then was preached to them also, and they made use of it in order that they might ‘enter the kingdom of God’...� (Similitudes, IX., XVI. 3-6).

JUSTIN (second century). “Then they are led by us to whence there is water, and in the manner of the regeneration by which we ourselves were regenerated they are regenerated. For at that time they obtain for themselves the washing of water in the name of God the Master of all and Father, and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit. For Christ also said, ‘unless you are regene4rated, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven’...and might obtain in the water the forgiveness of past sins, there is called upon the one who chooses to be regenerated and who repents of his sins in the name of God the Master of all and Father...� (Apology I, 61)

THEOPHILUS (180 A.D,). “Moreover, the things which come from the waters were blessed by God, in order that this might be a sign that men wher going to receive repentance and forgiveness of sins through water and the ‘washing of regeneration,’ namely all those who come to truth and are born again, and receive blessing from God...� (To Autolycus II, XVI)

IRENAEUS (about 180 A. D. He was a pupal of Polycarp who was a pupil of the apostle John). “First of all, it admonishes us to remember that we have received baptism for remission of sins in the name of God the Father, and in the name of Jesus Christ, the son of God, who became incarnate and died and was raised, and in the Holy Spirit of God, and that this baptism is the seal of eternal life and is rebirth into God and we be no more children of mortal men, but of the eternal and everlasting God� (Proof of Apostolic Preaching, 3).

I think that is enough to establish a point or two. Will share some more if you wish. Let me know.

God does not need us to get wet to save us. But we need to pledge ourselves to the Lord and baptism is the way we declare that we have been sinners, and that our hearts have repented, that we believe that Christ has died for us and we with Christ. That we believe that Christ has raised from the dead, and we with Christ, and that we walk in new life.

One becomes a Son of God through faith by being baptized into Christ (Gal. 3:26-27). So in these verses we see that as a consequence of water baptism one becomes a son or child of God as Jesus said in John 3:5, and at the same time he gets into Christ where life is. But let’s notice one more. Paul said, “For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all made to drink of one Spirit� (1 Cor 12:113). Now the body is the church (Eph. 4:4; 1:22-23). So by listening to the voice of the Spirit in the Bible we are led to the waters of baptism whereby we are baptized into the church which is the body of Jesus Christ. That church, by the way, is no human denomination. It is the kingdom of God (Col. 1:13), not a sect of men. You speak freely of your denomination. Can you justify your denomination, the Baptist church by scripture? Where may one find authority for the Baptist Church in the Holy Writ?

In Christ,
JustAChristian