Where Does The Bible Say...? (HOF thread)

JustAChristian

Originally posted by greatdivide46

Lightning:

As to the OT saints having the indwelling, sanctifying presence of the Holy Spirit -- "Where does the Bible say that?"

If I may interject these verses for information.....

Of Moses...
Exodus 31:3 "And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship"

Of Balaam...
Numbers 24:2 "And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel abiding in his tents according to their tribes; and the spirit of God came upon him."

Of Othniel...
Judges 3:10 "And the Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he judged Israel, and went out to war: and the LORD delivered Chushanrishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand; and his hand prevailed against Chushanrishathaim."

Of Gideon...
Judges 6:34 "But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet; and Abiezer was gathered after him."

Of Saul the King...
1 Samuel 10:10 "And when they came thither to the hill, behold, a company of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied among them."

JustAChristian

JustAChristian

Name Calling...!

Name Calling...!

Originally posted by lighthouse

Baptism of the Holy Spirit does not wash away sins. The shed blood of Christ does. Do you not believe that things changed at the cross?

greatdivide-
My name is lighthouse, not lightning.

Abraham's faith was counted to him for righteousness. That's in one of Paul's epistles, but I keep forgetting where exactly it is. Also, how else would anyone be sanctified, except by the power of God?

Just like JustAChristian is not JustAHeretic...!

:thumb:

Aimiel

Re: Name Calling...!

Re: Name Calling...!

Originally posted by JustAChristian

Just like JustAChristian is not JustAHeretic...!
No, not even slightly alike, since they're polar opposites.

Lighthouse is a beacon of truth, he is the light of the world, as long as he is here on earth, Jesus said so. That makes his avatar a symbol of what he truly is.

JustAChrisitan is a heretic, so him calling you that is merely honesty. Kudos to him for being frank with you. :thumb:

JustAChristian

Re: Re: What Is Needed...?

Re: Re: What Is Needed...?

Originally posted by Aimiel

So, because you don't understand The Office of The Holy Spirit or His Purposes, but demand that He jump to your expectations and bow and genuflect to you and jump through your hypocritical religious 'hoops' and He doesn't, then you declare that He doesn't exist?He's never been a subject of 'mis-use,' He is mis-understood by millions who claim to 'know' Him, but He would never allow someone to mis-use His Power or His Presence. I believe that Annanias and Saphira proved that.What on earth are you talking about here? What are you trying to say?Correct. He said that He would give His Holy Spirit to those that ask Him to.So, now do you think that you're my master, and I'm your slave, or do you believe that you're my conscience? Why don't you tell me what you feel these verses mean to you, whatever they might be; or, better yet, dare to be honest with yourself and with me, and tell me what you were going to find fault with my doctrine on, so that we don't have to play these silly 'religious games' that you insist upon playing.Sorry, I don't jump to demands from someone who is religious, manipulative or pushy, and I don't respond to namecalling either.OK, so you don't believe miracles are possible?No, but I do believe that God has way more authority than you do.Investigating what? Your lack of understanding?OK, so you believe that God is a respecter of persons? Which ones (scriptures, please) were 'not good enough' to receive The Holy Ghost?Liar. All flesh means every soul who is alive. The Holy Spirit will be poured out upon all flesh. His Presence will become visible. The Glory of God will cover this earth as the waters cover the seas.Sounds like something you made up, a new 'elitest' doctrine.You must be blind, then.The reason that I ask is that you're dead-set against The Holy Spirit, as many Baptists are, and I thought that you might be one. You seem to make up your own 'creed' and follow it religiously.

Aimiel,

Putting it simple, if you or BChristianK or lighthouse and others would show one example of Holy Spirit baptism that caused the sins of an individual to be "washed away" or "buried" or "put off" or "caused one to become into Christ" then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So, because you don't understand The Office of The Holy Spirit or His Purposes, but demand that He jump to your expectations and bow and genuflect to you and jump through your hypocritical religious 'hoops' and He doesn't, then you declare that He doesn't exist?

On the contrary, I believe I understand the office of the Holy Spirit quite well. I believe that I have posted my understanding of "The Most Misunderstood Person in the Bible." Did you see it? You like using the word "genuflect" don't you? I've seen you use it several times. I wish I would see you using "obey" or "obedience" a little more.

He's never been a subject of 'mis-use,' He is mis-understood by millions who claim to 'know' Him, but He would never allow someone to mis-use His Power or His Presence. I believe that Annanias and Saphira proved that.

Yes, Ananias and Sapphira really got zapped!. And yes, lot of people are heading the same road to destruction, the bible tells us (Matthew 7:13).

What on earth are you talking about here? What are you trying to say?

Peter said that the new birth comes by one obeying the truth, doesn't it. I get from this that if we read and study the word or hear it faithfully presented we can be born again. The Holy Spirit has his work every day... "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come." (John 16:13. That work however, is not to cleanse one of sins of Himself. He works as the agent of God in carrying through salvation (Titus 3:5; Romans 6:14-17). He then indwells the saved. He will never indwell the unsaved in order to cause him or her to be saved.

Correct. He said that He would give His Holy Spirit to those that ask Him to.

Those who are asking faithfully will receive the Spirit. The asking however includes the doing of God's Will (Hebrews 5:8-9).

So, now do you think that you're my master, and I'm your slave, or do you believe that you're my conscience? Why don't you tell me what you feel these verses mean to you, whatever they might be; or, better yet, dare to be honest with yourself and with me, and tell me what you were going to find fault with my doctrine on, so that we don't have to play these silly 'religious games' that you insist upon playing.

Imagine what would have happened on Pentecost is those 3,000 had told Peter, "so, now do you think that you're our master, and we are your slave, or do you believe that you' re our conscience?" I doubt anyone would have been saved that day. The bible tells us to "deny ourselves..." (Mark 8:34) and take up the cross of Jesus....wait a minute...that is a work....we are not suppose to do works....works?!!! We can't get saved if we do any works!!!

Aimiel, telling you what the verses mean may prove to be prejudicial. I believe you are old enough and intelligent enough to get the biblical meaning. In fact, I believe you have the biblical meaning and just can’t face it. I’ll give you a hint. They all have something to do with receiving salvation.

Sorry, I don't jump to demands from someone who is religious, manipulative or pushy, and I don't respond to namecalling either.

OK, so you don't believe miracles are possible?

The purpose of miracles has ceased (1 Cor. 13:10; John 20:30-31). The means of conveying the Spirit has ceased with the deaths of the apostles (Acts 8:14-17; Acts 19:1-6). Only apostles could convey the Spirit.

No, but I do believe that God has way more authority than you do.

No problem there!

Investigating what? Your lack of understanding?

Can you give a biblical for the Bible? Why do we have the written word. I will give you a hint. Read in 2 Timothy 3:15-17. Tell me what the Holy Spirit can do more than the written scriptures.

OK, so you believe that God is a respecter of persons? Which ones (scriptures, please) were 'not good enough' to receive The Holy Ghost?

Jesus baptized the apostles on Pentecost and the household of Cornelius at the preaching of Peter. This constituted "all flesh" of Joel's prophesy. There were two classes of people in the day of the Jews. If you were not a Jew you were a Gentile. Therefore, all flesh was covered. It does not day "all persons" but all flesh. You can review John 14 for the purpose of the Holy Spirit coming and Acts 15:7-8.

Liar. All flesh means every soul who is alive. The Holy Spirit will be poured out upon all flesh. His Presence will become visible. The Glory of God will cover this earth as the waters cover the seas.

No, all flesh does not mean every soul who is alive (Read 1 Cor 15:39). The outpouring of the Holy Spirit is merely a figurative expression to indicate abundant gifts of the Spirit. However, all did not receiving this outpouring. Did you see the Ethopean eunuch getting "baptized with the Holy Spirit" in Acts chapter 8?

Sounds like something you made up, a new 'elitest' doctrine.

None-the-less, this was first to the Jews (the Jewish apostles) and the Gentiles (the household of Cornelius).

You must be blind, then.

Well, then show us other Holy Spirit baptism; clear and consise!

The reason that I ask is that you're dead-set against The Holy Spirit, as many Baptists are, and I thought that you might be one. You seem to make up your own 'creed' and follow it religiously.

I have no authority to make up my own doctrine. Paul tell us..."And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. (Colossians 3:17)

In Christ,
JustAChristian
:angel:

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Name Calling...!

Re: Re: Name Calling...!

No, not even slightly alike, since they're polar opposites.

Lighthouse is a beacon of truth, he is the light of the world, as long as he is here on earth, Jesus said so. That makes his avatar a symbol of what he truly is.

JustAChrisitan is a heretic, so him calling you that is merely honesty. Kudos to him for being frank with you. :thumb:

Lighthouse is a beacon of truth

Sorry, but the beam is not reflecting anything but John Calvin and Augustine.

JustAChristian

greatdivide46

Originally posted by lighthouse

Baptism of the Holy Spirit does not wash away sins. The shed blood of Christ does. Do you not believe that things changed at the cross?

greatdivide-
My name is lighthouse, not lightning.

Abraham's faith was counted to him for righteousness. That's in one of Paul's epistles, but I keep forgetting where exactly it is. Also, how else would anyone be sanctified, except by the power of God?
Yes, I do believe things changed at the Cross. After all the shed blood of Christ was not shed before the cross.

I apologize profusely for getting your name wrong. I don't know what I was thinking (I probably wasn't) :eek: I'm soooo embarrassed. :eek:

Yes, I'm aware of that verse about Abraham's faith too. I do not however, think that Abraham was indwelled by the Holy Spirit. He may have been sanctified by the power of God, without being indwelled by the Holy Spirit.

greatdivide46

If I may interject these verses for information.....

Of Moses...
Exodus 31:3 "And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship"

Of Balaam...
Numbers 24:2 "And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel abiding in his tents according to their tribes; and the spirit of God came upon him."

Of Othniel...
Judges 3:10 "And the Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he judged Israel, and went out to war: and the LORD delivered Chushanrishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand; and his hand prevailed against Chushanrishathaim."

Of Gideon...
Judges 6:34 "But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet; and Abiezer was gathered after him."

Of Saul the King...
1 Samuel 10:10 "And when they came thither to the hill, behold, a company of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied among them."

JustAChristian
Thanks, JustAChristian. That's exactly what I was lookin' for. Do you (or does anyone) think that all the people mentioned in the above verses are now in Heaven, since they were all filled with the Holy Spirit? (Although, I must admit that the verse quoted about Moses is actually the only one that uses the phraseology "filled with the Holy Spirit.")

Aimiel

Hello. McFly!!!

Hello. McFly!!!

Please note, extraneous space, meaningless drivel, silly ideas and downright heresy has been removed from the quoted portions of my response. IMHO responding to foolishness only encourages the demons to bring more of it the next time.

Putting it simpl(y), if you or BChristianK or lighthouse and others would show one example of Holy Spirit baptism that caused the sins of an individual to be "washed away" or "buried" or "put off" or "caused one to become into Christ" then we wouldn't be having this conversation.
That's not His Office, it is to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgement. He does it on His Own, but prefers to use His Body.
On the contrary, I believe I understand the office of the Holy Spirit quite well.
Understanding how to swim, without ever getting into water, will get one drowned. You have to get 'wet' to be a swimmer. You're a landlubber.
You like using the word "genuflect" don't you?
I plagiarized it from one of my favorite movies: The Wizard of Oz.
I wish I would see you using "obey" or "obedience" a little more.
Thanks, but since I'm not your servant, I'll continue to obey The One Whose I am.
Yes, Ananias and Sapphira really got zapped!.
No, the saying, "Be sure your sin will find you out," came true that day, and continues forever. You can be sure, as well.
And yes, lot of people are heading the same road to destruction, the bible tells us (Matthew 7:13).
Amen, they are; but, thank God, He has millions who have not bowed the knee to the enemy, and have washed their garments in His Own Blood. Glory to God!!!
The Holy Spirit has his work every day... "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come."
Have you ever heard Him speak?
That work however, is not to cleanse one of sins of Himself.
Hello. McFly!!! No one is saying that it is, except you, on the defensive, because you're trying to find fault with what The Spirit of The Lord is doing to your heart.
He then indwells the saved.
Then why didn't He indwell the believers that Paul met, when He asked them if they had received The Holy Ghost. He is only with the saved, but He is in those who invite Him, by asking The Father for His Presence inside of them. It is very intimate, and He requires that we give Him invitation, because He will stand and knock all day long, and we can even open the door, but until we invite Him in, He can't come in.
He will never indwell the unsaved in order to cause him or her to be saved.
You're wrong, or, at least, so I believe. He spoke to my uncle, without him ever having heard The Gospel, and brought him to his knees in tears of repentance (it took him hours of crying to completely confess to The Lord all of his sin) and told him to call upon Jesus, as Savior and Lord, for the forgiveness of his sins, and that he would have eternal life. He was a drunken, womanizing... well, that's another story, anyway, the change was overnight, and he is still Christian after 31 years of ministry, and he is VERY Spirit-filled. He lives in Broken Arrow, OK, where his daughter went to school (at Rhema Bible Training Center) with Donna Douglas (Ellie Mae Clampett, on the old TV series: The Beverly Hillbillies).

I believe that there is a portion of Revelation that speaks of angels who preach The Gospel. I believe that when The Church is gone off of this earth, The Lord will resort to Supernatural methods of getting His Word out to the lost sheep, and if He chooses to get it to someone without any help, that's His Business, not mine.
Those who are asking faithfully will receive the Spirit.
You are correct, and when He comes in, there is no doubt that you have been baptized.
The purpose of miracles has ceased (1 Cor. 13:10; John 20:30-31).
Let's take a little closer look at your Scripture references, shall we?

I Corinthians 13:8-10
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

OK, so, according to you, prophecy, tongues and knowledge have ceased, right? If prophecy truly has ceased, then why are there prophets today? Don't you realize that The Mystery of The Lord is still in place? When what you have espoused already has really takes place, which, by the way, it will, in this earth; when that takes place, that is, when His Mystery is revealed, and His Prophets declare His Mystery to the earth, many things will be made clear. There are several parts of what Daniel wrote that were sealed, and have yet to be broken open. There was also mystery revealed to John, and then it was re-sealed. That has not been unveiled yet. There is much more to come, and He will use His prophets as He wills.

If tongues has ceased, then why don't we understand one another, all over the earth, as will happen when this prophecy is fulfilled? This is the prophecy that the confusion of languages dropped upon mankind at Babel is un-done.

If there is no knowledge (outside of Truth) then how come the children of Ishmael and the children of Esau (as well as Buddhists, JW's, SDA, Catholics, Baptists, etc. and etc. have not come to a knowledge of The Whole Truth yet? Could it be that The Whole Truth cannot be revealed, except it be manifested by all The Sons of God coming together?

By the way, what do you believe the purpose of miracles is? These signs that you have posted scripture reference to are for unbelievers to see that God is, and that He is good. They are not, indeed, miracles, other than the fact that they are manifestations of His Holy Spirit, which is pretty miraculous. I believe that miracles, such as what Jesus did, ought to be performed by The Body of Christ at The Whim of The Lord, and that we would have gotten this job (preaching The Gospel to every creature) done a long time ago if we would lend ourselves to Him for the manifestation of His Miracles, whenever He wills.

Please note that Paul said that we know in part, and that we prophecy in part. He didn't say that they were different principles for different persons (apostles vs. laymen) did he? Everyone knows what they have studied and what they have heard or experienced. Everyone (who wishes to do so) may also prophecy. The Lord gives good gifts to His children; and He does so whether you believe that He does or not.

Your second Scripture reference was:

John 20:30-31
And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Yes. That's good. And you think that you should make a doctrine of 'no more miracles' in this day and age because of this verse? Puhhleaze, get a clue. This verse has nothing to do with miracles having 'passed away' as you seem to believe. Jesus said that the works that He did, we would do, and even greater. I don't believe that The Church, The True Body of Christ, has even done the 'works' yet, let alone greater than what The Lord demonstrated. We will, though. His Word says so. You can take His Word to the bank (I am speaking metaphorically).
The means of conveying the Spirit has ceased with the deaths of the apostles (Acts 8:14-17; Acts 19:1-6). Only apostles could convey the Spirit.
Wrong!!! John said that Jesus would baptize us with The Holy Spirit. He did die, but that was so that He could send The Holy Ghost. He is The One Who taught us that we should ask The Father for His Presence in our lives:

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
Jesus baptized the apostles on Pentecost and the household of Cornelius at the preaching of Peter. This constituted "all flesh" of Joel's prophesy.
Only in your twisted little imagination. 'All flesh' means every soul alive. Joel didn't say, "...a handful." This is one of the double-meaning prophecies, which you obviously don't see the truth of.
The outpouring of the Holy Spirit is merely a figurative expression to indicate abundant gifts of the Spirit.
No, it is The Heavenly Father pouring out His Essence upon all flesh, and He is also The Earnest of our inheritance.
I have no authority to make up my own doctrine.
So why do you cling to it and continually defend it?
Paul tell us..."And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. (Colossians 3:17)
Yes, that is well and good, if, indeed, you do that. It would be best to try to do that by being obedient to Him, too, though:

And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, "Receive ye the Holy Ghost."

:flamer:

Sorry, but on a bulletin board where most of the moderators are un-Spirit-filled believers, the smiley named 'Flamer' is the closest that comes to one that looks like it has, "...cloven tongues, like as of fire," which is what I was actually looking for.

Aimiel

Originally posted by greatdivide46

Do you (or does anyone) think that all the people mentioned in the above verses are now in Heaven, since they were all filled with the Holy Spirit?
Knowing that light has no communion with darkness, we can rest assured that, since Jesus' blood had not yet been shed for the remission of sins, everyone in The Old Testament was un-BornAgain, that is to say they weren't converted to a New Creation, so The Holy Spirit could not abide inside of them. His Presence inside the flesh of someone who is still in their sin would destroy them. He only came 'upon' those who encountered Him in person before Pentecost.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
:aimiel:-
Thank you.

JustAHeretic-
I reflect scripture. You distort it.

Last edited:

JustAChristian

What Does The Bible Say About The Holy Spirit?

What Does The Bible Say About The Holy Spirit?

Aimiel,

I want to give you an answer without breaking down every sentence. That is too time consuming. Here are additional fact about the Holy Spirit and His work as I understand and believe:

Are you taking the agent, the Holy Spirit, and trying to make him the element, the thing into which one is baptized. That can not be the case."For by one Spirit [the ministering servant of God who does God's will] we were all baptized [immersed, Rom. 6:4, Col. 2:12; Cf. Gal. 3:27-28] into one body; Christ's spiritual body the church, Eph 1:22-23; 4:4-12; 5:23,30; Col. 1:18] whether Jews or Gentiles, whether bond or free, and have all been made to drink into [of] one Spirit [Eph. 4:4; the Holy Spirit guided them to God's word and when they obeyed, they found spirit (or Spirit) and life, John 6:63]. This verse does not deal with baptism with the Holy Spirit, but with the work of the Holy Spirit in placing us into the one body, the church, as we are immersed in water for the remission of sins. There are several works for the Holy Spirit today. He glorifies Christ (John 17:5). He reveals and teaches through the word (1 Cor. 2:10-13). He comforts (John 16:7). Convicts man of sin through the word (John 16:8; Rom. 1:16-18). He convinces of judgment (Acts 17:30-31). Even with all his work and personage he can be resisted (Acts 7:51).

Extending my remarks that I have made in earlier studies on 1 Cor. 12:13, let me say that we were made to "drink of one Spirit" when we were all "baptized into one body" (1 Cor. 12:13). We are now to exhibit "unfeigned love of the brethren, loving one another from the heart fervently" (1 Pet. 1:22). There is especially no room for racial discrimination, "for there is neither Jew nor Greek ... bond or free ... male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal. 3:28). Peter preached a great sermon on Pentecost. They then that received his word were baptized: and there were added unto them in that day about three thousand souls" (Acts 2:41). There is a distinct difference in hearing and receiving. The "receiving" of the word brought forth fruit. These obedient ones were "added" to the body of the saved (the church). The Lord did the adding. The one Spirit, as the agent of the Father, had led them (by Peter's sermon) to be "baptized into one body" (1 Cor. 12:13). They had been delivered ... out of the power of darkness, and translated ... into the kingdom of the Son of His love" (Col. 1:13). So, Paul is simply saying that there is but one way into the one body, regardless of our station in life, and that one way is baptism. One cannot be born into it by the physical birth; one cannot wish his way into it; one cannot be voted into it; one cannot buy his way into it; nor can he believe into it. The only way into the one body is clearly stated, and there should be no misunderstanding if a person is willing to accept God's word.

There is no question among Bible believers but that all who are in the family of God have been born of the Spirit. Jesus told Nicodemus, "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God" (John 3:5). And in John 3:8 He said, "So is every one that is born of the Spirit." The new birth must be brought about through the agency and work of the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit that makes people the children of God. "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God" (Rom. 8:14). If they are sons, that is, they have been born again. Hence, the work of the Holy Spirit in the process of the new birth is that of leading.

It is important to understand that the word does, the Spirit does through the word as a medium. Hence, instead of the Spirit operating independently of the Word of God on the heart of the sinner, He operates indirectly -- through His Word. So Peter says in 1 Pet. 1:25, "This is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you." That does not make it any less the work of the Spirit, however! To be born again by the word (1 Pet. 1:23) is to be led by the Spirit (Rom. 8:14) who revealed that word. This idea is supported by many passages which speak of the gospel as being God's power to save (Rom. 1:16), that by which we are saved (1 Cor. 15:3), that which is able to save (James 1:21), and that by which we are made clean (John 15:3). Gus Nichols, in an unpublished manuscript, summed it up this way: "The new birth is brought about by the Holy Spirit through the word that he came to earth and revealed and confirmed through the apostles, left on record in the revelation that we have, which is a revelation of the Holy Spirit, his very message -- the gospel, the good news of salvation through Christ. That's what it means, I believe, then to be born of the Spirit."

JustAChristian :angel:

greatdivide46

Knowing that light has no communion with darkness, we can rest assured that, since Jesus' blood had not yet been shed for the remission of sins, everyone in The Old Testament was un-BornAgain, that is to say they weren't converted to a New Creation, so The Holy Spirit could not abide inside of them. His Presence inside the flesh of someone who is still in their sin would destroy them. He only came 'upon' those who encountered Him in person before Pentecost.

Aimiel,

Thanks. I agree with you completely that the Holy Spirit did not abide inside of the Old Testament saints, but came upon them (sometimes more than once).

So, I agree with you on this, but I agree with JustAChristian regarding water baptism.

JustAChristian

Re: Hello. McFly!!!

Re: Hello. McFly!!!

Please note, extraneous space, meaningless drivel, silly ideas and downright heresy has been removed from the quoted portions of my response. IMHO responding to foolishness only encourages the demons to bring more of it the next time.

That's not His Office, it is to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgement. He does it on His Own, but prefers to use His Body.Understanding how to swim, without ever getting into water, will get one drowned. You have to get 'wet' to be a swimmer. You're a landlubber.I plagiarized it from one of my favorite movies: The Wizard of Oz.Thanks, but since I'm not your servant, I'll continue to obey The One Whose I am.No, the saying, "Be sure your sin will find you out," came true that day, and continues forever. You can be sure, as well.Amen, they are; but, thank God, He has millions who have not bowed the knee to the enemy, and have washed their garments in His Own Blood. Glory to God!!!Have you ever heard Him speak?Hello. McFly!!! No one is saying that it is, except you, on the defensive, because you're trying to find fault with what The Spirit of The Lord is doing to your heart.Then why didn't He indwell the believers that Paul met, when He asked them if they had received The Holy Ghost. He is only with the saved, but He is in those who invite Him, by asking The Father for His Presence inside of them. It is very intimate, and He requires that we give Him invitation, because He will stand and knock all day long, and we can even open the door, but until we invite Him in, He can't come in.You're wrong, or, at least, so I believe. He spoke to my uncle, without him ever having heard The Gospel, and brought him to his knees in tears of repentance (it took him hours of crying to completely confess to The Lord all of his sin) and told him to call upon Jesus, as Savior and Lord, for the forgiveness of his sins, and that he would have eternal life. He was a drunken, womanizing... well, that's another story, anyway, the change was overnight, and he is still Christian after 31 years of ministry, and he is VERY Spirit-filled. He lives in Broken Arrow, OK, where his daughter went to school (at Rhema Bible Training Center) with Donna Douglas (Ellie Mae Clampett, on the old TV series: The Beverly Hillbillies).

I believe that there is a portion of Revelation that speaks of angels who preach The Gospel. I believe that when The Church is gone off of this earth, The Lord will resort to Supernatural methods of getting His Word out to the lost sheep, and if He chooses to get it to someone without any help, that's His Business, not mine.You are correct, and when He comes in, there is no doubt that you have been baptized.Let's take a little closer look at your Scripture references, shall we?

I Corinthians 13:8-10
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

OK, so, according to you, prophecy, tongues and knowledge have ceased, right? If prophecy truly has ceased, then why are there prophets today? Don't you realize that The Mystery of The Lord is still in place? When what you have espoused already has really takes place, which, by the way, it will, in this earth; when that takes place, that is, when His Mystery is revealed, and His Prophets declare His Mystery to the earth, many things will be made clear. There are several parts of what Daniel wrote that were sealed, and have yet to be broken open. There was also mystery revealed to John, and then it was re-sealed. That has not been unveiled yet. There is much more to come, and He will use His prophets as He wills.

If tongues has ceased, then why don't we understand one another, all over the earth, as will happen when this prophecy is fulfilled? This is the prophecy that the confusion of languages dropped upon mankind at Babel is un-done.

If there is no knowledge (outside of Truth) then how come the children of Ishmael and the children of Esau (as well as Buddhists, JW's, SDA, Catholics, Baptists, etc. and etc. have not come to a knowledge of The Whole Truth yet? Could it be that The Whole Truth cannot be revealed, except it be manifested by all The Sons of God coming together?

By the way, what do you believe the purpose of miracles is? These signs that you have posted scripture reference to are for unbelievers to see that God is, and that He is good. They are not, indeed, miracles, other than the fact that they are manifestations of His Holy Spirit, which is pretty miraculous. I believe that miracles, such as what Jesus did, ought to be performed by The Body of Christ at The Whim of The Lord, and that we would have gotten this job (preaching The Gospel to every creature) done a long time ago if we would lend ourselves to Him for the manifestation of His Miracles, whenever He wills.

Please note that Paul said that we know in part, and that we prophecy in part. He didn't say that they were different principles for different persons (apostles vs. laymen) did he? Everyone knows what they have studied and what they have heard or experienced. Everyone (who wishes to do so) may also prophecy. The Lord gives good gifts to His children; and He does so whether you believe that He does or not.

Your second Scripture reference was:

John 20:30-31
And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Yes. That's good. And you think that you should make a doctrine of 'no more miracles' in this day and age because of this verse? Puhhleaze, get a clue. This verse has nothing to do with miracles having 'passed away' as you seem to believe. Jesus said that the works that He did, we would do, and even greater. I don't believe that The Church, The True Body of Christ, has even done the 'works' yet, let alone greater than what The Lord demonstrated. We will, though. His Word says so. You can take His Word to the bank (I am speaking metaphorically).Wrong!!! John said that Jesus would baptize us with The Holy Spirit. He did die, but that was so that He could send The Holy Ghost. He is The One Who taught us that we should ask The Father for His Presence in our lives:

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? Only in your twisted little imagination. 'All flesh' means every soul alive. Joel didn't say, "...a handful." This is one of the double-meaning prophecies, which you obviously don't see the truth of.No, it is The Heavenly Father pouring out His Essence upon all flesh, and He is also The Earnest of our inheritance.So why do you cling to it and continually defend it?Yes, that is well and good, if, indeed, you do that. It would be best to try to do that by being obedient to Him, too, though:

And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, "Receive ye the Holy Ghost."

:flamer:

Sorry, but on a bulletin board where most of the moderators are un-Spirit-filled believers, the smiley named 'Flamer' is the closest that comes to one that looks like it has, "...cloven tongues, like as of fire," which is what I was actually looking for.

Aimiel,
Let us look at one of your statements...

OK, so, according to you, prophecy, tongues and knowledge have ceased, right? If prophecy truly has ceased, then why are there prophets today?...By the way, what do you believe the purpose of miracles is? These signs that you have posted scripture reference to are for unbelievers to see that God is, and that He is good. They are not, indeed, miracles, other than the fact that they are manifestations of His Holy Spirit, which is pretty miraculous. I believe that miracles, such as what Jesus did, ought to be performed by The Body of Christ at The Whim of The Lord, and that we would have gotten this job (preaching The Gospel to every creature) done a long time ago if we would lend ourselves to Him for the manifestation of His Miracles, whenever He wills.

Are there real prophets today? What is the evidence of this? Can they do the same miracles as the 1st century Christians to confirm their work? I have never seen a viable case because it is not possible in today's church. We have the complete word of God. It is profitable in all Christian works (2 Tim. 3:15-16), so what do prophets have new to tell us that we do not already have?

Some of the early members of the church had miraculous gifts, imparted by the laying on of the apostles' hands, usually called the miracle-working measure of the Spirit (Acts 6:6, 8; 8:13-21; 19:6; Rom. 1:11; 2 Tim. 1:6). These "gifts" were miraculous manifestations of the power of the Holy Spirit, but this measure was not the baptismal measure of the Spirit. These gifts were always bestowed by an apostle, and the person having a gift could not in turn pass it on to someone else (I Cor. 12; Acts 8:14-20). Christians who possessed these gifts were to use them for the edification of the church, the body of Christ. These members in the Apostolic Age were needed as helpers to the apostles, since they could not always remain with all the congregations. These gifts were extant before the complete will of God (the New Testament) had been given and recorded. Possessing any of these gifts did not make the one any more spiritual or devoted in his own personal life. These gifts were temporary and were to cease with the completion of the last will and testament. "Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away" (I Cor. 13:8). When will this happen? "But when that which is perfect is come; then that which is in part shall be done away" (v. 10). That "which is perfect"--that perfect thing (not Christ) --was the word of God, "the perfect law of liberty" (Jas. 1:25), and it has come. We should now "earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints" (Jude 3). The word of God contains all that Christ wants us to believe, teach, and practice religiously; it excludes everything we are not to believe, teach, and practice. Once the whole (perfect) body of truth had been one time for all time given and confirmed, then these miraculous gifts ceased (Eph. 4:7,11-13). There are no miracles being done today by the power of the Holy Spirit.

So, this is how, and how long, these signs followed the body of believers (Mark 16:17-18). There is no man living today who has any of these miraculous gifts, and there is no apostle living to bestow them. When the last apostle died, and the last man died on whom an apostle had laid his hands, these gifts ceased. By that time, however, these gifts had served their purpose; the complete will of God had been given and confirmed (Heb. 2:34; Mark 16:20). These miraculous gifts in the early church were just as scaffolding that is needed for the erection of a building, that is torn down once the building is finished.

Hence, the purpose of miracles being performed no longer exists; the means of performing miracles no longer exists; and the fact of miracles being performed no longer exists. Indeed, lying frauds are in abundance today (2 Thess. 2:9-12); but real miracles are not being done or seen, as we read in the New Testament. The so-called "healers" have all been tried and found wanting. Their system is a scheme to make money in the name of religion (Matt. 7:22-23). If the "charismatic" doctrine were demonstrable, they would heal the sick, speak in tongues, drink poison, take up serpents, and raise the dead. But they cannot do these things. The "Holy Spirit Movement" is a hoax, a great deception.

Therefore, this secondary "measure" of the Holy Spirit (miraculous gifts), which some Christians in the apostolic age possessed by the laying on of the apostles' hands, was also a supernatural measure, but is not available for any one today.

JustAChristian :angel:

Last edited:

Aimiel

Re: Re: Hello. McFly!!!

Re: Re: Hello. McFly!!!

I believe like this:

"Yes, when persons accept Christ, the Holy Spirit begins a great work in their lives. The Spirit convicts them of sin, convinces them of righteousness, and dwells within them (John 6:44; 14:17; Roman 8:9; 1 Corinthians 12:13). No one becomes a Christian without this gracious work of the Holy Spirit."

"However, there is an additional and distinct ministry of the Holy Spirit called the baptism in the Holy Spirit. The Baptism is an empowering gift from God the Father that is promised to every believer (Matthew 3:11; Luke 11:13; 24:49; Acts 2:33, 38). It helps the Christian to live a holy life and also brings a new devotional attachment to Jesus Christ, making Him very real and precious. The primary purpose of the Baptism is to give greater power for witnessing (Acts 1:8). Other benefits include a greater joy in spiritual service, and a heightened sense of one's mission to the world." -- From: http://ag.org/top/beliefs/baptism_hs/baptmhs_00_questions.cfm

Are there real prophets today?
Yes, many.[/QUOTE]What is the evidence of this?[/QUOTE]Their anointing. There is (whether you're aware of it or not) no evidence of anything Supernatural; and I believe that is for a reason. The Lord doesn't want people to come to Him by knowledge, but by faith.
Can they do the same miracles as the 1st century Christians to confirm their work?
Yes.
I have never seen a viable case because it is not possible in today's church.
You never will. You couldn't see God, either, until you believed in Him. Unless you believe the prophet for the sake of the prophet, that is, taking him at his word, you'll never see one.
We have the complete word of God.
It is still a mystery. Obviously you didn't read my last post. Maybe you should scroll back and do that now?
It is profitable in all Christian works (2 Tim. 3:15-16), so what do prophets have new to tell us that we do not already have?
What to do, to fulfill The Lord's Will for your life, how to save your life, you know, just the little things that God does through prophets and apostles.
Some of the early members of the church had miraculous gifts, imparted by the laying on of the apostles' hands, usually called the miracle-working measure of the Spirit (Acts 6:6, 8; 8:13-21; 19:6; Rom. 1:11; 2 Tim. 1:6). These "gifts" were miraculous manifestations of the power of the Holy Spirit, but this measure was not the baptismal measure of the Spirit.
They operate severally, and ONLY as The Lord wills.
These gifts were always bestowed by an apostle, and the person having a gift could not in turn pass it on to someone else (I Cor. 12; Acts 8:14-20).
There are no second-hand gifts, just as God has no Grandchildren.
Christians who possessed these gifts were to use them for the edification of the church, the body of Christ.
That is essential.
These members in the Apostolic Age were needed as helpers to the apostles, since they could not always remain with all the congregations.
There is no such thing as 'apostolic age.' That hooey. You're diefying men.
Possessing any of these gifts did not make the one any more spiritual or devoted in his own personal life.
That's a tough one to keep in mind, especially when The Lord gives you life-and-death type information to speak to someone, or heals someone through your hands. Nevertheless, you are right. It is something that is one of the pitfalls of being a minister for The Lord.

The remainder of your post has shown me that you didn't read my reply, or care to weigh any of the evidence I supplied, so I won't bother reading yours, or replying to it. It's all garbage, since you're not engaging, just preaching, so you just go ahead and do your thing, and I'll find someone who is ready to face facts.

Aimiel

JustAChristian,

You remind me of the boy who asked about Holy Spirit Baptism of his Pastor, who was told, we don't believe in that nonsense, we have gotten established in The Word, and don't need any further proof that The Lord might wish to provide us.

On the way home, thier car got stuck in a ditch, and his father asked him to get out an push. They tried for 1/2 hour, and then gave up. The boy told his dad, "It has got established."

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Hello. McFly!!!

Re: Re: Re: Hello. McFly!!!

I believe like this:

"Yes, when persons accept Christ, the Holy Spirit begins a great work in their lives. The Spirit convicts them of sin, convinces them of righteousness, and dwells within them (John 6:44; 14:17; Roman 8:9; 1 Corinthians 12:13). No one becomes a Christian without this gracious work of the Holy Spirit."

"However, there is an additional and distinct ministry of the Holy Spirit called the baptism in the Holy Spirit. The Baptism is an empowering gift from God the Father that is promised to every believer (Matthew 3:11; Luke 11:13; 24:49; Acts 2:33, 38). It helps the Christian to live a holy life and also brings a new devotional attachment to Jesus Christ, making Him very real and precious. The primary purpose of the Baptism is to give greater power for witnessing (Acts 1:8). Other benefits include a greater joy in spiritual service, and a heightened sense of one's mission to the world." -- From: http://ag.org/top/beliefs/baptism_hs/baptmhs_00_questions.cfm

Yes, many.
What is the evidence of this?[/QUOTE]Their anointing. There is (whether you're aware of it or not) no evidence of anything Supernatural; and I believe that is for a reason. The Lord doesn't want people to come to Him by knowledge, but by faith.Yes.You never will. You couldn't see God, either, until you believed in Him. Unless you believe the prophet for the sake of the prophet, that is, taking him at his word, you'll never see one.It is still a mystery. Obviously you didn't read my last post. Maybe you should scroll back and do that now?What to do, to fulfill The Lord's Will for your life, how to save your life, you know, just the little things that God does through prophets and apostles.They operate severally, and ONLY as The Lord wills.There are no second-hand gifts, just as God has no Grandchildren.That is essential.There is no such thing as 'apostolic age.' That hooey. You're diefying men.That's a tough one to keep in mind, especially when The Lord gives you life-and-death type information to speak to someone, or heals someone through your hands. Nevertheless, you are right. It is something that is one of the pitfalls of being a minister for The Lord.

The remainder of your post has shown me that you didn't read my reply, or care to weigh any of the evidence I supplied, so I won't bother reading yours, or replying to it. It's all garbage, since you're not engaging, just preaching, so you just go ahead and do your thing, and I'll find someone who is ready to face facts. [/QUOTE]

I can't help but remember a song that Ray Stevens sings with a line in it that says, "There are none so blind as he who will not see!" That is you, Aimiel, 100%. I sse no reason to continue a discourse with you.

JustAChristina
:angel:

JustAChristian

By What Authority Do ;You Do The Things You Do?

By What Authority Do ;You Do The Things You Do?

Let me seek to convince you that miraculous gifts which were received by the laying on of hands by the apostles were to cease when the perfect came. Paul wrote, "But desire earnestly the greater gifts. And moreover a more excellent way show I unto you." The gifts were to serve a necessary purpose, but they were to pass away. Paul continued, "Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall be done away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part; but when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away" (1 Cor. 13:8-10). Paul' s purpose here was to contrast the imperfect state of the church -- the period during which supernatural gifts were necessary for its instruction -- with the perfect state, when such means would no longer be needed. The "perfect" which was to come is the perfect source of information in the mature church (James 1:25; 2 Tim. 3:16,17). When the New Testament was finished by the close of the first century the signs passed away. Apostles died. Christians no longer received the impartation of the Spirit through laying on of hands. The miraculous signs of the Holy Spirit were provided to authenticate the spoken word (Heb. 2:1-4); the gift of tongues was such a sign (Mark 16:17); this purpose having been served, they were no longer needed and therefore ceased near the close of the first century (Eph. 4:7-13).

Paul said, “But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.� (1 Cor. 12:31) That more excellent way is the way of love, which Paul affirms in 1 Cor. 13. This more excellent way the Corinthians apparently did not have. They did not have a proper love for each other. They were carnal. They were jealous of each other and were wrangling over who was to get what gifts. After all, they were to be in the church for only a short time -- "until that which is perfect is come," or, according to the Ephesian passage in conjunction with the Corinthian passage, until the church reached maturity. And just as children put away their toys whenever they grow up, even so the church was to put away these gifts when the church reached its maturity. Surely no one can believe that the church, after almost two thousand years, is still in its infancy or childhood; therefore, one is both logically and scripturally forced to the conclusion that miracles have long since ceased in the church.

Some believe that Christ can use any saint He wants to impart His gift of the Holy Spirit. If this is your feeling then you pose a problem. You have no valid example, inference, or commandment to sustain your position. “Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God� (Romans 10:17). “Whatsoever you do in word or deed do all in the name (authority) of the Lord� (Col. 3:17). Justifiable faith is that which comes as a result of the inspired message of the Lord God. Any other message; though even “from an angel� (Gal. 1:8), that contradicts the inspired word is to be rejected.

JustAChristian

Aimiel

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello. McFly!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello. McFly!!!

I can't help but remember a song that Ray Stevens sings with a line in it that says, "There are none so blind as he who will not see!" That is you, Aimiel, 100%. I sse no reason to continue a discourse with you.
You have pronounced the same sentence upon The Holy Spirit, so I sure don't mind. :thumb:

Aimiel

Re: By What Authority Do ;You Do The Things You Do?

Re: By What Authority Do ;You Do The Things You Do?

Paul' s purpose here was to contrast the imperfect state of the church -- the period during which supernatural gifts were necessary for its instruction -- with the perfect state, when such means would no longer be needed. The "perfect" which was to come is the perfect source of information in the mature church (James 1:25; 2 Tim. 3:16,17).
If you'll follow your own logic here, and apply it to this entire passage, that would mean that you are able to speak with perfect tongues (the language spoken before Babel) and speak perfect prophecies, as well. I don't think you realize what you're saying.
When the New Testament was finished by the close of the first century the signs passed away.
Only for those so blind that they 'will not see.'
Apostles died.
Yes, and so did Pastors, Prophets, Evangelists and Teachers. That didn't mean that The Lord had removed His Gifts from His Body. Only that people who were in those offices died. He still anoints and appoints people to all five ministry offices, since The Body of Christ is still alive, and (somewhat) connected to The Head, Jesus.
Christians no longer received the impartation of the Spirit through laying on of hands.
Liar.
The miraculous signs of the Holy Spirit were provided to authenticate the spoken word (Heb. 2:1-4); the gift of tongues was such a sign (Mark 16:17); this purpose having been served, they were no longer needed and therefore ceased near the close of the first century (Eph. 4:7-13).
These Gifts are needed today, more than ever.
Paul said, “But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.� (1 Cor. 12:31)
Yes, he also said that prophecy was the greatest gift. If you don't obey The Word, and covet to prophecy, as taught, then that's fine, don't. But God would that all men obey His Word.
That more excellent way is the way of love, which Paul affirms in 1 Cor. 13.
No problem there. We are to walk in love, or we are truly un-regenerate. That means forgiving, which is the hardest part of that love. So few learn how to truly forgive others.
Surely no one can believe that the church, after almost two thousand years, is still in its infancy or childhood; therefore, one is both logically and scripturally forced to the conclusion that miracles have long since ceased in the church.
Most who are Christian are still on milk. Yes, The Body of Christ is a 2,000 year old infant.
Some believe that Christ can use any saint He wants to impart His gift of the Holy Spirit.
He is, after all, God. Can He not do as He pleases?
You have no valid example, inference, or commandment to sustain your position.
He fell upon men who tarried. Who laid hands upon them? Saul received The Holy Ghost without an Apostle laying hands upon him. Why is that, if your premise is true?

JustAChristian

Re: Re: By What Authority Do ;You Do The Things You Do?

Re: Re: By What Authority Do ;You Do The Things You Do?

If you'll follow your own logic here, and apply it to this entire passage, that would mean that you are able to speak with perfect tongues (the language spoken before Babel) and speak perfect prophecies, as well. I don't think you realize what you're saying.Only for those so blind that they 'will not see.'Yes, and so did Pastors, Prophets, Evangelists and Teachers. That didn't mean that The Lord had removed His Gifts from His Body. Only that people who were in those offices died. He still anoints and appoints people to all five ministry offices, since The Body of Christ is still alive, and (somewhat) connected to The Head, Jesus.Liar.These Gifts are needed today, more than ever.Yes, he also said that prophecy was the greatest gift. If you don't obey The Word, and covet to prophecy, as taught, then that's fine, don't. But God would that all men obey His Word.No problem there. We are to walk in love, or we are truly un-regenerate. That means forgiving, which is the hardest part of that love. So few learn how to truly forgive others.Most who are Christian are still on milk. Yes, The Body of Christ is a 2,000 year old infant.He is, after all, God. Can He not do as He pleases? He fell upon men who tarried. Who laid hands upon them? Saul received The Holy Ghost without an Apostle laying hands upon him. Why is that, if your premise is true?

Aimiel,

I told you...
Paul' s purpose here was to contrast the imperfect state of the church -- the period during which supernatural gifts were necessary for its instruction -- with the perfect state, when such means would no longer be needed. The "perfect" which was to come is the perfect source of information in the mature church (James 1:25; 2 Tim. 3:16,17).

And you replied...
If you'll follow your own logic here, and apply it to this entire passage, that would mean that you are able to speak with perfect tongues (the language spoken before Babel) and speak perfect prophecies, as well. I don't think you realize what you're saying.

My answeris...
The verse has nothing to do with “perfect tongues� or anything about a language spoken before Babel. Where are you getting such conclusion? The Bible speaks no where of “perfect tongues.� Lets stick to facts and not assumptions. The law of Christ is the “perfect� law of liberty meaning it has no fallacies or failures. It is the perfect guide for the church today. Until it was complete in revelation, which happened with John receiving the Apocalypse of Jesus Christ at the Isle of Patmos about 98 A.D. After that there was no more revelation or prophesy to confirm with miracles. Miracles died away with the deaths of the apostles who conveyed the gifts with there laying on of hands. The 2nd generation of Christians could not convey the gifts (Acts 8:14-17).

When I told you...
When the New Testament was finished by the close of the first century the signs passed away.

You countered with...
Only for those so blind that they 'will not see.'

To which I reply...

The Bible tells us how they were conveyed to other Christians. This was with the laying on of hands of the apostles. Other Christians could not convey the gifts. This is why Peter and John were sent to Samaria at Philips preaching. If Philip could have conveyed the gifts then there would have been no reason for the apostles to go there. Use you head on this. You want it badly your way but this isn’t “Burger King� so you can’t have it your way!

I said...
Apostles died.

And further is seen by you...

Yes, and so did Pastors, Prophets, Evangelists and Teachers. That didn't mean that The Lord had removed His Gifts from His Body. Only that people who were in those offices died. He still anoints and appoints people to all five ministry offices, since The Body of Christ is still alive, and (somewhat) connected to The Head, Jesus.

To this I say...
The gifts of the Spirit was to assist the young church in establishing and stabilizing congregations. Paul, who had the gift of knowledge, knew the gift were only for a short time and said, by revelation and inspirations: “Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things� (1 Cor.13:8-11). Paul likened himself to a child having a toy, an aid to his maturing. When he grew up he didn’t play with toys anymore. He knew that we would also mature as Christians and would not need the aids (Spiritual gifts) to that growth.

I had told you...
Christians no longer received the impartation of the Spirit through laying on of hands.

To which you said I was a...

I counter saying...
You call me a liar for telling you the truth. In order for me to be lying I must know that my intent is to deceive you. I could be in error or be wrong but it is not for the purpose of deception. Therefore, I can not be a liar; at least on this point.

I had said...
The miraculous signs of the Holy Spirit were provided to authenticate the spoken word (Heb. 2:1-4); the gift of tongues was such a sign (Mark 16:17); this purpose having been served, they were no longer needed and therefore ceased near the close of the first century (Eph. 4:7-13).

and you replied...
These Gifts are needed today, more than ever.

But I rebuke you and say...

If you believe the gifts are needed mor than ever today then you don’t believe the Bible is all sufficient “for doctrine, for reproof, for correction in righteousness that the man of God may be perfect and thoroughly furnished unto every good work (2 Tim. 3:16). What is the Bible unable to provide today that we need for knowledge and salvation?

I had said earlier...

Paul said, “But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.� (1 Cor. 12:31)

To which you stated...

Yes, he also said that prophecy was the greatest gift. If you don't obey The Word, and covet to prophecy, as taught, then that's fine, don't. But God would that all men obey His Word.

Which I say...
The Corinthian church was a congregation of contention and strife brought about by greed and pride. This caused great division in that congregation. Paul showed them a better way to live as Christians. That was through the process of endless love for love will never fail. Love never fails he said, but wherever prophesy would soon fail and wherever there were gifts of tongues they would soon cease and wherever there was the gift of knowledge it would soon vanish away. This is why I said that more excellent way is the way of love, which Paul affirms in 1 Cor. 13.

quote:
That more excellent way is the way of love, which Paul affirms in 1 Cor. 13.

And you responded...
No problem there. We are to walk in love, or we are truly un-regenerate. That means forgiving, which is the hardest part of that love. So few learn how to truly forgive others.

To which I say...
Love will make you want to worship in the right manner (John 4:24), and to properly interpret the scriptures (2 Tim 2:15).

I had said earlier...
Surely no one can believe that the church, after almost two thousand years, is still in its infancy or childhood; therefore, one is both logically and scripturally forced to the conclusion that miracles have long since ceased in the church.

And you responded...
Most who are Christian are still on milk. Yes, The Body of Christ is a 2,000 year old infant.

To which I reply...
Do you know any 2,000 infants? No you do not. The church is mature by the process of growth. Yes, it has made many mistakes, but Jesus said he would be with us until the end of the world (Matthew 28:20). The Bible, properly interpreted, has made the church to grow in knowledge and faith. It will continue to produce maturity when properly used. It is when it is misused that one digresses.

I had said...
Some believe that Christ can use any saint He wants to impart His gift of the Holy Spirit.

And you recounted saying...
He is, after all, God. Can He not do as He pleases?

To which I say...
But, He doesn’t operate that way. He is perfect in decisions and does only what is good and needful. He would not be whimsical in his actions as some would have him to be.

I had told you...
You have no valid example, inference, or commandment to sustain your position.

And you replied...
He fell upon men who tarried. Who laid hands upon them? Saul received The Holy Ghost without an Apostle laying hands upon him. Why is that, if your premise is true?

To which I counter saying...
Paul received the Holy Spirit at the hand of Christ as did the other apostles(Acts 2:4). You can see that he was with Christ after his conversion (Acts 9:15-16;26:18-20) and Jesus gave him the measure of the Spirit to preach the gospel after his baptism by Ananias (Acts 22:16; Acts 2:38; Gal. 1:12; Acts 20:24; Eph. 3:3).

In Christ,
JustAChristian