What is the express image of God?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
hmmm...

God is spirit, i.e.; like our thoughts, which are not persons, but immaterial ideas or concepts.

It is really a mater of seoarating the mind from the body, and distinguishing between these ideads that we call thinking from the material body we have learned is under the control of our mind.

If you were born again and could once more experience how you discovered that those wiggling toes were iunder your control and how your hands coukd be made to grasp things just by thinking about asking them to so do, then you coukd understand how a baby knows his body is a mere tool used by the mind.

The mind existed for weeks before recognizing that a body was availkable to it.
Spirit is mental.

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit, (in thought), and in (the spirit of) truth.

What are the distinctive characteristics, or marks, of personality? Knowledge, feelings or emotion, and will. Any entity that thinks and feels and wills is a person. Each member of the Godhead does these things.

dave3712

sted by dave3712
When Moses and the 73 others went up to thr mountain they saw God.

What Moses showed them was his discovery of an eighth Planet in the star filled heavens, one slowly moving as Planets do, through the branching sketch of the Constellations.

Uranus was then seen by these elders as a proof of a previously Unseen God, the God thereafter of the Jews and the Bible.

////

Egyptianmuslim:

What do these verses tell?
John1:18
No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Exodus 33:20-23
And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:

And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a cleft of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:

And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Those verse tell us that all these 74 men could see was the sign of the son-of-man in the heavens, the Planet Uranus which SYMBOLIZED the God never known before to all the world which had long worshipped the sun, the moon, and the stars:

staffofMoses.jpg

dave3712

1) What are the distinctive characteristics, or marks, of personality?

Knowledge, feelings or emotion, and will.

2) Any entity that thinks and feels and wills is a person.

I think you are wrong.

1) Personality is a dominance of certain Jungian Functions (or what Freud called archetypes).
These combine in rather set ways, and are the sources for our personalities.

According to modern psychology, like that used by eHarmony to match people, there are a dozen or so types that can identify the personality of people.

2) These personalities are are NOT the people themselves, but the source of the thinking behind the way they behave.

Ps82

Hello again egyptianmuslim
You had written:
God appear to any of your holy men / prophets?
No one did see the Image of God by his eye(retinal image) but we communicate with God by our spirit (spirit to spirit contact) Moses asked God to look to His image but he fainted because the mountain was destroyed Q 7:143143. And when Musa (Moses) came at the time and place appointed by Us, and his Lord spoke to him, he said: "O my Lord! Show me (Yourself), that I may look upon You." Allah said: "You cannot see Me, but look upon the mountain if it stands still in its place then you shall see Me." So when his Lord appeared to the mountain , He made it collapse to dust, and Musa (Moses) fell down unconscious. Then when he recovered his senses he said: "Glory be to You, I turn to You in repentance and I am the first of the believers."

Also Moses`s folk asked him to see God Q 4:153 . The people of the Scripture (Jews) ask you(Muhamed) to cause a book to descend upon them from heaven. Indeed they asked Musa (Moses) for even greater than that, when they said: "Show us Allah in public," but they were struck with thunder clap and lightning for their wickedness. Then they worshipped the calf even after clear proofs, evidences, and signs had come to them. (Even) so We forgave them. And We gave Musa (Moses) a clear proof of authority.
it is apparent from the 2 verses that seeing God is a silly question because it minimises God and make Him in likeness to His creation

It is a spirit to Spirit communication (revelation) it is like dream.

Thank you for sharing your scripture verses. Even though I can recognize the events from your verses that match what is written in the Christian text, yet I see that they read quite differently.

For Moses was allowed to SEE all of God's goodness and glory ... and though he was not allowed to see the face of God as He approached ... He was allowed to SEE the hind parts as God's glorious presence retreated. This miracle happened just before Moses went up into the mount to receive the commandments from God.

It is a shame that our two texts are so different. They can't both be correct.

Well, that being said about God's visible presence... I do believe that God can communicate with human beings - spirit to spirit. In fact, most all Christians believe this to be true as well.

Last edited:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you are wrong.

1) Personality is a dominance of certain Jungian Functions (or what Freud called archetypes).
These combine in rather set ways, and are the sources for our personalities.

According to modern psychology, like that used by eHarmony to match people, there are a dozen or so types that can identify the personality of people.

2) These personalities are are NOT the people themselves, but the source of the thinking behind the way they behave.

Interesting, but I'm not buying it. When you know that I'm wrong, let me know.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Remember that Jesus had just said in John 14:6 that he was synonymous with the concept of Truth.
He was an Ideal, a personification of that concept Truth.
No, "synonymous with the concept" ain't there, and you should not add it there.

9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, (even though I have been saying, "I am the Truth"), Philip?...
No, "even though I have been saying, "I am the Truth" ain't there, and you should not add it there.

... he that hath seen me,
(the Truth), hath seen the (image of the) Father, (i.e.; the ever unfolding Reality that gives birth to the Truth in its wake);
and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father, (when you have seen His image in my personification of Truth)?
Quit adding to the text what is not there.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Those verse tell us that all these 74 men could see was the sign of the son-of-man in the heavens, the Planet Uranus which SYMBOLIZED the God never known before to all the world which had long worshipped the sun, the moon, and the stars:

staffofMoses.jpg
Poppycock.

Wile E. Coyote

Remember that Jesus had just said in John 14:6 that he was synonymous with the concept of Truth.
He was an Ideal, a personification of that concept Truth.

9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, (even though I have been saying, "I am the Truth"), Philip?...

... he that hath seen me, (the Truth), hath seen the (image of the) Father, (i.e.; the ever unfolding Reality that gives birth to the Truth in its wake);
and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father, (when you have seen His image in my personification of Truth)?
You take words that a child can understand and change them so that no one can understand. What a hatchet job on the scriptures. You're the hatchet man.

Hatchet1.jpg

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Isn't that what happens when we see the Truth in our mind's eye?

The real world and real events of that world are created by the Truth in side our head.

Nothing that is untrue exists, so all things real are cretaed by the Truth.
"Mind's eye". :doh:

People can vision a purple flying elephant in their mind.
People can vision a universe with no God at all.

Don't be relying on some new age "mind's eye".

dave3712

You take words that a child can understand and change them so that no one can understand. What a hatchet job on the scriptures. You're the hatchet man.

Hatchet1.jpg

It seems abundantly clear that the church people have turned the simple idea into a gobble de gook so confusing and metaphysical that no one can understand their reasoning.

When Jeus said, "I am the Truth, the way, and the life" it was followed by verse that make sense in that context.

But the church people perfer to use medieval jargon veiled in some doctrines of interpretations private to their denominational churches that muddy up every phrase and verse.

Do you deny that Christ is Truth and the devils are liars?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When you look into the sky at the sun, are you actually seeing the sun or the brightness (rays) of the sun?

dave3712

Posted by dave3712
Isn't that what happens when we see the Truth in our mind's eye?

The real world and real events of that world are created by the Truth in side our head.

Nothing that is untrue exists, so all things real are cretaed by the Truth.

////

"Mind's eye". :doh:

People can vision a purple flying elephant in their mind.
People can vision a universe with no God at all.

Don't be relying on some new age "mind's eye".

Of course, and most people do exactly that.

They live lives based upon false conceptions about the real world, seeking pleasure and fun, or life styles of the rich.

America right now is facing the Reality of the economy coming face to face with the Truth, that the nation has been living beyond its means.
Truth is the savior here, if men can model the truth in their mind's eye and face the facts of life, bite the bullet, and make the hard decisions.

Things that are what Jesus was talking about.
He said that the leaders coukd forecast the weather, but coukd not envision in their mind the times and the things that were coming to tear down the temple and disperse them all into Europe for 2000 years.

dave3712

When you look into the sky at the sun, are you actually seeing the sun or the brightness (rays) of the sun?

Things we see are registered in our mind and used along with other information coming from the other senses in a process of thinking about such Data.
We form what we believe is the Truth about what is corresponds to external to our mind, and we behave and respond accirdingly, because we have faith in Truth.

dave3712

No, "synonymous with the concept" ain't there, and you should not add it there.

No, "even though I have been saying, "I am the Truth" ain't there, and you should not add it there.

Quit adding to the text what is not there.

There is nothing "added."

Parenthesis is the grammatically correct way to interject an explanation or comment iinto the context of a passage.

The reason for brackets is to explicitly show the readers that these comments are separate from the text, and are comments made by the oerson about what the text says.