ECT What is Preterism

john w

Hall of Fame
And if it did, what is that perfect whatever it is?

I reckon that it's Benny Hinn/Hill's Holy Ghost Bartender Machine Gun.

Puh-raaaaayyyyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd!!! Ay-Mehn, saints??????

Interplanner

Preterism is a idiosyncratic, truly backward, and relatively recent system of Bible misinterpretation. Instead of passages being understood as literal or figurative, or as applicable or not applicable to today according to their context, timing or the persons addressed, the Bible is read through the lens of a basic presupposition that is never, ever questioned - that the vast majority of Bible prophecy has already been fulfilled. Everything else about preterism follows from that basic assumption.

It usually also entails, among its adherents, salvation maintained by works under threat of damnation and its members (as represented on TOL) are generally reticent about explaining or discussing the saving Gospel.

In other words, it's a cult.

OK, then I'm not.

I have to say, though, that you have only muddied the water by finding some kind of fault about everything fulfilled. It is. There may be some anticlimactic things to come, but 'whatever God promised the fathers he has fulfilled by raising Christ from the dead.' Acts 13's sermon punchline.

Or 'the promises of God (Paul speaking to the old covenant 'impostor apostles' that bothered him) are yes and amen in Christ.' II Cor 1.

There are 2500 references to the OT by the NT, most of them including the introductory phrase 'as it is written' or 'this was to fulfill what was written in ____.' 2500. Better get started!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Careful, boss.....careful!"- John Coffee
I'll tiptoe.
sneaking.gif

God's Truth

As for the statement in 1 Corinthians 13:10, “but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears” that scripture is about Jesus coming the first time.

The prophets in the Old Testament prophesied about Jesus, and prophets in the New Testament prophesied about our salvation. This is what Paul says, “…where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.”

When you only have prophesy in part, because the prophecy has not yet been fulfilled, or more prophecy is needed, it is imperfect, it is imperfect because the prophesy is in “part” or not yet fulfilled.

However, when there is fulfillment of prophecy or more prophecy is given for what we need to know, then we have full understanding, so then, it is perfect and, that which is perfect is come. All came because Jesus had come.

The Old Testament believers waited a long time for God to reveal Jesus to us, and now finally, from the Bible, we see that God has revealed Jesus, in the New Testament, the perfect has come.

The Bible has everything we need to know for salvation. It is perfect, It is the perfect Word of God.

The New Testament is the “perfect law” given to us, James 1:25.