ECT WHAT ACTS 2:28 REALLY MEANS !!

lifeisgood

When people were water baptized, they confessed their sins....

Really? Did you confess all your sins when baptized in the Catholic Church or in the other places where you were water baptized?

If you were to be honest about it, you would say you didn't even know what YOU were doing.

You have never been born again.
When you ARE, you will know.

Ah, by the way, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with you and what you do.

God's Truth

Ahhh! Thanks for bringing this to my attention, T6! I was looking at Acts 22:18 KJV. But, on that note, it is interesting:

Acts 22:16 KJV "And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord."​

I conclude Paul's sins were figuratively washed away by calling on the 'name' of the Lord. Being baptized in the 'name' of the Jesus is quite commonly referred to in the NT. And, I delve deeper into Jesus' ancestry being the foundation of His 'name' referring, thereto. So, being baptized in the 'name' of Jesus involved the ancestral illumination Jesus was (and is) Messiah. Why didn't pre-repentant Paul & Co. accept Jesus as Messiah? They just didn't believe? Paul and those Pharisees were quite astute in the OT. They had legal grounds for saying Jesus wasn't Messiah. Jesus was a descendant of Pharez (Matthew 1:3, Luke 3:33), eldest twin son of Judah, prophesied progenitor of Messiah (Isaiah 65:9), and Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar (Genesis 38:24, 29, 30). The quandary of Jesus' day was how could Messiah be a descendant of Pharez, conceived and born out of wedlock (Genesis 38:24, 26, 29), from a relationship contrary to Leviticus 18:15 KJV, Leviticus 20:12 KJV, Leviticus 21:7 KJV, Leviticus 21:9 KJV, Leviticus 21:13 KJV, and Leviticus 21:14 KJV? That's what pre-repentant Paul's OT fluent running buddies were saying (John 8:41 KJV). Then, how was Paul's perception of Jesus, changed? He was baptized in the 'name' of Jesus. God wrote the aforementioned Levitical Law, and only God could change it... and, He did... and there's vastly more to that story!

Paul being figuratively washed of his sins involved his lack of understanding Jesus was the prophesied Messiah. Paul was running with the Pharisee religious elite who'd tainted Paul's perception of who Messiah could be based on Mosaic Law. Speaking of such aforementioned laws, how does one Biblically reconcile Jesus being Messiah, then? I conclude, Paul was figuratively washed of his misperceptions of OT law that precluded Jesus' authenticity... Paul was washed of his sins being baptized in the 'name', the ancestry of Jesus. I'm of no resolve that Paul was or wasn't water baptized. But, Paul was clearly, in my mind, baptized in the 'name' of Jesus... His authenticity, despite Levitical Law to the contrary.

You are indeed quite astute to do so, I humbly suggest!

I can't totally disagree with your perception that Paul was water baptized; I cannot find clarity. With all due respect, either way, water baptism (as was John the Baptizer's) does not hold a candle to being baptized in the 'name' of Jesus, His ancestry, His divine origin, irrefutable knowing that Jesus is Messiah, full cognizance Jesus is the Son of God... a job for the Holy Spirit (Matthew 14:26 KJV). Yet, other than as happened to Paul, I submit being baptized in the Holy Spirit is not a one-fell swoop, a 20-gig download, respectfully.

I appreciate your bringing up Ephesians 4:5 KJV, and do agree with you this verse is taken out of context in my mind. There is only ONE Spiritual baptism of the Holy Spirit, per se. There are multiple types of baptisms beginning with water, and Spiritual, and the twain are not mutually exclusive in my understanding. In other words, one can achieve either, or both; but, I don't see the option of both, or none. Speaking of other baptisms... Jesus' baptism was by "fire" involving ancestral "division" as He mentioned in Luke 12:49 KJV, Luke 12:50 KJV, Luke 12:51 KJV, Luke 12:52 KJV, Luke 12:53 KJV... noting Jesus intentionally failed to mention "division" between father-in-law, and son-in-law. And, I direct your attention to John 18:13 KJV being that collusion (John 11:47, 48, 49, 50, 51) was imperative for Jesus to fulfill the commandment He received from His Father (John 10:17, 18, 19, speaking of "division").

I admire your "with" distinction, T6. Luke tells us John the Baptist was "filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb" (Luke 1:15 KJV). JTB's mother Elizabeth "was filled with the Holy Ghost" (Luke 1:41 KJV. After his birth, JTB's father "Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost" (Luke 1:67 KJV, Luke 1:68 KJV). Even promptly after Jesus' birth came Simeon, and "the Holy Ghost was upon him" (Luke 2:26 KJV, Luke 2:27 KJV, Luke 2:28 KJV, Luke 2:29 KJV, Luke 2:30 KJV).

I trust clearly you see here there is more than one kind of baptism, per se. How does one reconcile Jesus' post-resurrection words in John 20:21 KJV, John 20:22 KJV? I can only conclude receiving the Holy Ghost is not a one-fell-swoop, 20-gig download, respectfully, although I do suggest such happened to Paul. If you'll tolerate my humor, I've not seen a light shining around anyone, lately.

I trust you hear the distinction between water baptism, and Spiritual baptism? These two baptisms are not mutually exclusive, and John the Baptizer was certainly "filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb" (Luke 1:15 KJV). I am curious when you think Peter was referring to "us at the beginning"? Was Peter referring to Pentecost (Acts 2:4 KJV)? Before Jesus ascended (John 20:20 KJV, John 20:21 KJV)? Perhaps, before?

With respect to your notion "with"; possessing the Holy Spirit is the key issue in our minds, if I may be so presumptuous. Those accounts in Luke substantially suggest being "filled with" the Holy Ghost, or the Holy Ghost "fell upon" Simeon, although not "baptized", per se. So, I do respect being filled "with" the Holy Ghost, although such is evidently not a 20-gig download, respectfully. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the "in" aspect of being baptized "in" the Holy Ghost may suggest to you that submersion "in" water accomplishes the task? Clearly there's no mention folk were baptized 'with' the 'name' of Jesus. Folk were baptized "in" the "name" of Jesus, which I perceive being OT knowledge that refutes the Pharisee notion Jesus couldn't be the ancestrally authentic Messiah being Pharez is in His ancestry.

Please explain the greater significance of being baptized "with", or "in" the Holy Spirit to help me understand your posture, T6, if you will? How is this significant to you?

kayaker

I can proven with scripture that baptism with the Holy Spirit,the out "pouring" of the Spirit, receiving the Holy Spirit, being saved, and speaking in tongues is all the same occurrence.

These are NOT different occurrences, as many here are confused about.

With all these scriptures I am going to prove my beliefs, and are all about Cornelius and his household.

Peter says these Gentiles RECEIVED the Holy Spirit. There is not a separate baptism of the Holy Spirit, a separate pouring out of the Holy Spirit, a separate being saved, and a separate receiving the Holy Spirit.

Acts 10:44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”

Notice that a holy angel told Cornelius to ask Peter to come to his house so that he could HEAR what he had to say? Well, he is hearing the message that SAVES. See also Acts 11:14 He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.'

Here is another scripture that says Cornelius was going to HEAR the message that saves.

Acts 10:22 The men replied, "We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say."

Acts 11:15-16 "Just as I was starting to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. Then I remembered what the Lord had said, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'"

I have shown you with scripture that BEING SAVED, AND BEING BAPTIZED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT, the OUT POURING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, RECEIVING THE HOLY SPIRIT, and speaking in tongues are not separate, they are all the same occurrence.

kayaker

What scripture/s are you basing this on?

Great question, T6! JTB was publicly known for water baptizing folk; and, undoubtedly it was relatively common knowledge he and Jesus were close kin. Being 'washed' akin to John's baptism was a common practice among the Jews of those days. I venture to say said Jewish ceremony was a component carried forth from the OT. So, 'baptism', using the term loosely, was not an unfamiliar custom. John baptized preparing a way for the Lord, and I suggest his baptisms differed in that regard as undoubtedly JTB advised his 'converts' to anticipate another baptism, a Spiritual one, beyond JTB's baptism, and beyond the ceremonial 'washing' performed by the Jews, which was indeed a public ceremony in religious circles.

Nicodemus' quandary, previously mentioned on a prior post, testifies to their carnally minded notion of being blue-blooded, hight-born of royal ancestry (an extension of Deuteronomy 7:6, 7, 8, 9, 10). Being ceremonially 'washed' was evidently an aspect of their religious life.

I seriously doubt the Pharisees 'washed' Gentiles. Even if they did, the Gentile would not become a Jew, LOL! So... there's a bit of hypocrisy there considering Noah sanctioned procreation between the Gentiles (Japheth's descendants: Genesis 9:27, 10:2, 3, 4, Genesis 10:5 KJV) and the Shemite/Semites in Genesis 9:27 KJV. Ham and his progeny were geographically isolated in the Land of Canaan. So, by default, Noah forbid Gentile/Shemite procreation with the descendants of Ham.

So, the original notion of 'washing', using that term loosely, was a ceremonial public event in the synagogues. Ole JTB gotter did in the muddy rivers, speaking of kayaking, LOL! I suspect that sorta became a burr under the saddle of those blue-blooded, high-born royal folk! (Luke 3:2, 7, 8, 9)... they probably couldn't handle getting a little creek sand in their knickers, ROFLOL!

I'm sorry, T6... I just had to fall out of my kayak on that one... no harm intended, friend. I wasn't making fun at you in the least.

kayaker

God's Truth

Really? Did you confess all your sins when baptized in the Catholic Church or in the other places where you were water baptized?

Can an infant confess their sins?

If you were to be honest about it, you would say you didn't even know what YOU were doing.

I knew I believed in Jesus and CONFESSED and repented of my sins, called on his name, and then Jesus saved me and gave me the Holy Spirit, and then later was water baptized.

Didn't you do that?

THAT is what JESUS SAYS TO DO.

Do you think you can be saved another way?

I have to tell you that you cannot be saved another way.

Jesus is the WORD of God.

False teacher's words, and words from you that are not in the Bible is nothing.

You have never been born again.
When you ARE, you will know.

Do you even know what born again means?

Ah, by the way, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with you and what you do.

Of course, it has to do with with you and what you do.

God's Truth

lifeisgood is not saved and does not know God's Truth and has no other way of defending her false beliefs than what Satan has given her to do and say. What else does the accuser of the brethren have? The accuser does not have God's Truth, only lies and insults.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I knew I believed in Jesus and CONFESSED and repented of my sins, called on his name, and then Jesus saved me and gave me the Holy Spirit, and then later was water baptized.
vs.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Ephesians 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Do you even know what born again means?
born again = resurrection as in Ezeliel 37! It has nothing to do with anyone today! Those who are saved into the BoC (in Christ) are a new creature! 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

God's Truth

vs.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Believe what? We have to believe that we have to obey Jesus and follow the conditions of the new covenant.

Ephesians 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

All the scriptures that say 'believe', they do not nullify the scriptures that say to obey.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
born again = resurrection as in Ezeliel 37! It has nothing to do with anyone today! Those who are saved into the BoC (in Christ) are a new creature! 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Amen

heir

TOL Subscriber
You have just gave witness to yourself that you are not saved.
Your testimony on this site, over and over, screams that you believe not and are blinded because of it!

2 Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

You have never stopped trusting yourself to save yourself and trusted the Lord instead!

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Believe what?
the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV)!

God's Truth

Your testimony on this site, over and over, screams that you believe not and are blinded because of it!

2 Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

You have never stopped trusting yourself to save yourself and trusted the Lord instead!

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

There is NEVER EVER a good time to not be obedient to Christ.

There is never ever a good and right time to not obey.

God's Truth

the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV)!

The gospel of Christ is about Jesus dying for the sins THAT WE CONFESSED AND REPENTED FROM DOING!