ECT WHAT ACTS 2:28 REALLY MEANS !!

DAN P

turbosixx;444 Why doesn't Paul question what they believed or if they believed said:
Hi and Paul did ask them , in verse Acts 19:3 , Then for what REASON then were you BAPTIZED ? And the ones said into the Baptism of John , and there is your answer !!

But when PAUL baptized them it was not WATER as verse 6 Paul lays his hands upon them and the Holy Spirit came upon them and they spake in LANGUAGES and were Prophhesying JUST like tose at Penrecost as they were not there at that event !!

dan p

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you want to believe that Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary is not enough to save you and you need to add water baptism to be saved to complete His already finished/completed work, there's nothing I can do about that.

There has never been one person in the whole world EVER saved because they were dunked in water.

Every person that has ever been saved EVER has been because they BELIEVE not because they got wet.

It is not one or the other.

It is both plus---

1Jn 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
1Jn 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

Read all through Acts.

They were all baptized in water.

It must be important to God.

LA

lifeisgood

It is not one or the other.

It is both plus---

1Jn 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
1Jn 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

Read all through Acts.

They were all baptized in water.

It must be important to God.

LA

It is not he who “does,” but he who “believes” that is saved.

Living Word becoming flesh [Jn. 1:1, 4] symbolized by “water” and then as the Lamb of God who took away the sin of the world, which was effected by the shedding of His blood on the Cross of Calvary.

Incarnation within itself, although absolutely necessary, was not enough. The phrase testifies to the absolute necessity of the Atonement.

The Holy Spirit bore witness to the divine birth of Christ, and to the divine sacrifice of Christ [Mat. 1:18; Heb. 9:14].)

turbosixx

Then for what REASON then were you BAPTIZED ?

dan p

This is how you twist the word. You can't take it as written, you have to re-write it.

3And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?"

If baptism(HS) happens at belief, why ask "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?"

turbosixx

No, we ARE NOT baptized WITH the Holy Spirit the moment we believe.

The baptism WITH the Holy Spirit is a separate work and is NOT automatic.

It is the same thing when the Lord said to the disciples and the ones with them ‘don’t go do anything in my name UNTIL you are baptized WITH the Holy Spirit,' which happened at Pentecost, way after they had been baptized in Christ.

They were baptized into Christ.
Yet not baptized with the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

The text is so clear, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."

Paul KNEW that they had been saved, however, they had no idea that they needed the baptism with the Holy Spirit, and Paul knew that they didn’t have it either.

Belief is how we are baptized into Christ but is not how we receive the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

You do realize that Paul only water baptized very few, then he said he was not going to water baptize anyone because the Lord Jesus Christ had not called him to water baptize, right.

It was not Paul’s rule to water baptize because he said that the Lord had not sent him to water baptize anybody, but to preach the Gospel that points to the baptism that saves.

Good luck with that. I've done my duty.

lifeisgood

This is how you twist the word. You can't take it as written, you have to re-write it.

3And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?"

If baptism(HS) happens at belief, why ask "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?"

And they answered, "Paul, No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."

TRANSLATION: If we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit, how can we receive Him?

Interplanner

And they answered, "Paul, No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."

TRANSLATION: If we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit, how can we receive Him?

This is part of the proof of Jn 16:13 that the Spirit does not speak of himself. The Spirit of God does not speak of the Spirit's work. The Spirit of God speaks of the work accomplished by the Son. He glorifies Christ. This orientation is why you have the apostles at work in places and the people have become Christians but don't know about the Spirit of God. That does not mean the Spirit was not at work, because they believe. It means that the categories of Jn 16:13 were kept intact.

turbosixx

Amen! Great post!
I would suggest that you have a misconception of grace. Grace is unmerited favor but in order to be saved by grace we must obey God. God’s grace shows us the path of salvation, but we must walk the path. Jesus's work is finished, but that's where ours begins.

Couple of examples, Noah received grace but in order to save himself and his family he had to do obey.

Gen. 6:7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

God’s grace warned Noah of the pending destruction and gave him a way of “salvation”.
Heb. 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house;
Grace through faith.

Another example, the Passover which is a shadow of how Christ’s blood saves us.
21 Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover. 22 And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the basin; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning. 23 For the Lord will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the Lord will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you.

Yes, Jesus sacrifice was sufficient to save our souls, but how is his blood applied to each individual? In our case, the lamb offered himself and his blood is in the basin waiting to be applied. Once he offered himself, how does he tell us to be saved, effectively applying his blood to the lintel and side posts?

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Grace teaches us the path of salvation, but we must walk it by obeying it’s instructions. For conversion and how to live.
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

What happens to those who do not obey the gospel.
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

This is my current understanding of grace.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would suggest that you have a misconception of grace. Grace is unmerited favor but in order to be saved by grace we must obey God. God’s grace shows us the path of salvation, but we must walk the path. Jesus's work is finished, but that's where ours begins.

Couple of examples, Noah received grace but in order to save himself and his family he had to do obey.

Gen. 6:7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

God’s grace warned Noah of the pending destruction and gave him a way of “salvation”.
Heb. 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house;
Grace through faith.

Another example, the Passover which is a shadow of how Christ’s blood saves us.
21 Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover. 22 And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the basin; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning. 23 For the Lord will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the Lord will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you.

Yes, Jesus sacrifice was sufficient to save our souls, but how is his blood applied to each individual? In our case, the lamb offered himself and his blood is in the basin waiting to be applied. Once he offered himself, how does he tell us to be saved, effectively applying his blood to the lintel and side posts?

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Grace teaches us the path of salvation, but we must walk it by obeying it’s instructions. For conversion and how to live.
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

What happens to those who do not obey the gospel.
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

This is my current understanding of grace.

Mine too.

LA

heir

TOL Subscriber
I suggest you stop flaunting the big ole "but" of religion. It is contrary to the dispensation of the grace of God. It is you who do not understand grace. Just look at you comparing the gift of God given by grace through the faith of Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross in our place with something that you think we should do to be saved. pathetic

turbosixx

I suggest you stop flaunting the big ole "but" of religion. It is contrary to the dispensation of the grace of God. It is you who do not understand grace. Just look at you comparing the gift of God given by grace through the faith of Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross in our place with something that you think we should do to be saved. pathetic

Can you find one NT writer that talked about the "finished work" on the cross. Those are man's words.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Can you find one NT writer that talked about the "finished work" on the cross. Those are man's words.
I'm speaking of the faith of Jesus Christ and the event of the cross and what it accomplished for us. Search out those terms!

turbosixx

I'm speaking of the faith of Jesus Christ and the event of the cross and what it accomplished for us. Search out those terms!

I understand what your implying by "finished work". We use words and phrases to convey thoughts and concepts. If the words are changed the concepts change. Here is an example of changing punctuation to change the meaning from the Jehovah Witnesses.

Luke 23:43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

They move the comma to after today so Jesus is telling him today and not that today he would be in paradise to support their beliefs.
"Truly I say to you today, you shall be with Me in Paradise."

Man has taken Jesus' words "it is finished" and built a concept around it. I hear it all the time "finished work of Jesus", but I never read it from inspired writers.

I think it's best if we take the word as written. If we try to "interpret" that is where we can go off course.

lifeisgood

Grace is unmerited favor but in order to be saved by grace we must obey God.

How can grace be UNmerited favor (which is correct) but I have to do something (be water baptized) to be afforded that UNmerited favor?

You, I, and every body else in the whole world that has ever been saved have NEVER OBEYED God TO BE SAVED. Never.

That is why it is called UNmerited favor.

Salvation is ALL of God and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of us.
Nothing of us.
Absolutely nothing of us.

If 'water baptism' has to be added for a sinner to be saved then you are saying that Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary was not enough / was not a completed/finished work / and we have to add our being water baptized to finish the already finished/completed work of God.

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
I understand what your implying by "finished work".
I'm not implying. I'm emphatically stating:

that Christ died for our sins is the work of our salvation that is finished!

Romans 4:25 KJV, Romans 6:23 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Colossians 2:10-13 KJV

Salvation is NOT by something we can do, will do or won't do. It's by what God through the faith of Jesus Christ did!

2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV, Ephesians 2:4-9 KJV, Titus 3:4-7 KJV

God's Truth

How can grace be UNmerited favor (which is correct) but I have to do something (be water baptized) to be afforded that UNmerited favor?

You, I, and every body else in the whole world that has ever been saved have NEVER OBEYED God TO BE SAVED. Never.

That is why it is called UNmerited favor.

Salvation is ALL of God and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of us.
Nothing of us.
Absolutely nothing of us.

No one is saved unless they do what the Way says; which goes against what you just stated.

Jesus says to believe and repent of our sins, and call on his name.

Those who obey are the ones that love him and will be loved by the Father; THAT IS WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS.

Those who obey are the ones that are given the Holy Spirit.

Those who obey are Jesus' family.

Those who obey are Jesus' friends.

I just told you what scriptures say.

Are you going to believe the scriptures or or you going to keep fighting for what you decided was the truth?