War on Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No, you are probably wrong.

Free Exercise of religion is a freedom that may be restricted, according to the Supreme Court. It is the holding of religious ideas that is unlimited in law.

You are dead wrong, Nick is correct. Exercise means practice not thought or idea.

The Free Exercise Clause guarantees a person the right to practice a religion and propagate it without government interference.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Free+Exercise+Clause

gcthomas

You are dead wrong, Nick is correct. Exercise means practice not thought or idea.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Free+Exercise+Clause

Did you read your link before posting it? It says this on religious displays, under the heading "Jesus, meet Santa"

On the question of religious displays, the First Amendment has two broad answers depending on the sponsor. Any private citizen can put up a nativity scene on private property at Christmas time: citizens and churches commonly exercise their First Amendment right to Freedom of Speech to do so. But when a government sets up a similar display on public property, a different aspect of the amendment comes into play. Governments do not enjoy freedom of speech, but, instead, are controlled by the second half of the First Amendment—the Establishment Clause, which forbids any official establishment of religion. All lawsuits demanding that a crèche, cross, menorah, or other religious symbol be removed from public property allege that the government that put it there has violated the Establishment Clause.

The display you and Nick referred to was on a USAF base, so there is no constitutional protection for the christmas display.

In short, you need to revisit your understanding of your constitution. At the very leas read the articles you link to, to check they don't disprove your position.

:chuckle:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Did you read your link before posting it? It says this on religious displays, under the heading "Jesus, meet Santa"

On the question of religious displays, the First Amendment has two broad answers depending on the sponsor. Any private citizen can put up a nativity scene on private property at Christmas time: citizens and churches commonly exercise their First Amendment right to Freedom of Speech to do so. But when a government sets up a similar display on public property, a different aspect of the amendment comes into play. Governments do not enjoy freedom of speech, but, instead, are controlled by the second half of the First Amendment—the Establishment Clause, which forbids any official establishment of religion. All lawsuits demanding that a crèche, cross, menorah, or other religious symbol be removed from public property allege that the government that put it there has violated the Establishment Clause.

The display you and Nick referred to was on a USAF base, so there is no constitutional protection for the christmas display.

In short, you need to revisit your understanding of your constitution. At the very leas read the articles you link to, to check they don't disprove your position.

:chuckle:

Hello out there, what i posted was for your faulty definition of the free excercise of religion. Your response doesn't apply, sorry.

You claimed it meant something other than what it means, period. I agree your faulty definition was hilarious as anyone cant govern thoughts anyway.

gcthomas

Hello out there, what i posted was for your faulty definition of the free excercise of religion. Your response doesn't apply, sorry.

You claimed it meant something other than what it means, period. I agree your faulty definition was hilarious as anyone cant govern thoughts anyway.

I simply said that the free exercise provision was limited in scope, which is plainly obvious.

So, are claiming the the constitution provides an unlimited freedom to exercise religion as you see fit? No restrictions?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So you joined in and defended Nick M's comment without reading the context, in the process criticising me for having a position you yourself hold?

That's plain silly, isn't it?

No, i am subscribed to this thread and responded to your faulty definition since i was well aware of the real one. You can keep claiming my response did something else and you can tell another whopper like you already told, that i was defending the cross thing when i never made a comment on it.

Do i need your permission to respond to just those things i am interested in responding to?

gcthomas

No, i am subscribed to this thread and responded to your faulty definition since i was well aware of the real one. You can keep claiming my response did something else and you can tell another whopper like you already told, that i was defending the cross thing when i never made a comment on it.

Do i need your permission to respond to just those things i am interested in responding to?

I said that free expression was not an unlimited right and had restrictions.

Can you explain what was wrong with what I said, please?

gcthomas

No, you are probably wrong.

Free Exercise of religion is a freedom that may be restricted, according to the Supreme Court. It is the holding of religious ideas that is unlimited in law.

I said that free expression was not an unlimited right and had restrictions.

Can you explain what was wrong with what I said, please?

That is not how you defined it before.

Umm, I think I got it right first time. But as long as we agree now, that's fine.

:up:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Don't you 'biology much' me, mister. :mmph:] I didn't. You're drunk, go home.

:yawn: You're projecting again (1 Co 6:9-10). :noway:

You did on Twitter.
Bluebird_hop.gif

Deut 22:5, Mt 19:4 :vomit:

Jesus loves you (Jn 3:16). Jesus is willing to save you (2 Pe 3:9). Repent (Eze 18:30-32; Ac 17:30). Believe (Mk 9:23).

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
["You can look at a monkey and see that there is more than a five percent difference in DNA." ~ Bob Enyart] "Get over it."

You are known for denying the obvious (Deut 22:5, Mt 19:4, Ro 1:21). :vomit:

"You can't keep Him from loving you....When you put up an umbrella of sin, the sunshine of God's love sure won't fall on you. But it's still there for you.” ~ J. Vernon McGee

Status
Not open for further replies.