War on Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dena

Christmas is actually a natiobal holiday, signed into law by George Washington

So? I would think you'd be glad that I recognize it was intended to be a religious holiday celebrating the birth of your savior and not a government sanctioned event intended to compel people to spend money and buy things they do not need.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Why are you looking for Christ in a Disneyland production?

And for everyone who fights over doctrine here, take a look at what Disneyland removed from the show, One Solitary Life, and see where it says anything overtly Christian in the first place. There's no mention of God, redemption, or resurrection; Christ's importance had been diminished in this by not acknowledging His divinity, or did anyone even notice?

One Solitary Life

He was born in an obscure village
The child of a peasant woman
He grew up in another obscure village
Where he worked in a carpenter shop
Until he was thirty

He never wrote a book
He never held an office
He never went to college
He never visited a big city
He never travelled more than two hundred miles
From the place where he was born
He did none of the things
Usually associated with greatness
He had no credentials but himself

He was only thirty three

His friends ran away
One of them denied him
He was turned over to his enemies
And went through the mockery of a trial
He was nailed to a cross between two thieves
While dying, his executioners gambled for his clothing
The only property he had on earth

When he was dead
He was laid in a borrowed grave
Through the pity of a friend

Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race
And the leader of mankind's progress
All the armies that have ever marched
All the navies that have ever sailed
All the parliaments that have ever sat
All the kings that ever reigned put together
Have not affected the life of mankind on earth
As powerfully as that one solitary life

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
From the link in the previous posts:

While the new text refers to Jesus as “the blessed babe in a manger,” there are no mentions of Christ’s death. That said, the tone certainly aligns with the traditional Christmas story, though the more general text will likely not be as pleasing to those who enjoyed the hard-hitting spiritual nature inherent in “One Solitary Life.”
Hard hitting? Where?

Now it gets interesting:

While some might point to the amended language as definitive evidence that Disney is trying to diminish the Christian undertones of the “Candlelight Processional,” the show is comprised mainly of Bible verses recounting the entire story of Jesus’ birth.

Thus, without Jesus or the Christian message, there would very literally be no “Candlelight Processional.” Still, a critique centered upon an absence of Jesus as the centerpiece of the world does hold some validity.

Scriptures are read in the Disney show verbatim from the English Standard Version of the Bible. Luke 1:26-31, Luke 2:1-18, Matthew 2:1-2, 10, Matthew 2:9, 11 and Isaiah 9:6 are all read aloud. In these verses, Jesus is still referred to as “Christ the Lord.”

Isaiah 9:6 provides what very well may be the strongest remaining spiritual language in the “Candlelight Procession.” It reads, “For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given. And the government shall be upon His shoulders, and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.”
So Disney removed "One Solitary Life" which made no reference at all to Christ's divinity or his resurrection, and kept all the Scripture... and you're complaining?

zoo22

What I want to know is why they aren't reading the entire Bible? Why are they diminishing it by only reading verses from the Bible, like Luke 1:26-31, Luke 2:1-18, Matthew 2:1-2, 10, Matthew 2:9, 11 and Isaiah 9:6 ? What kind of pagan voodoo hedonism is going on over there??

I should have known something was wrong when that elephant flapped his ears and started to fly.

zoo22

You're unreal. If you weren't banned, I'd suggest that you be banned for saying so many things that aren't even close to true. There should be some kind of limit on how many things someone can just make up here.

Christmas was made a national holiday by President Grant in 1870 (George Washington was dead and didn't participate).

Washington did cross the Delaware on Christmas night in 1776 to attack Trenton. It wasn't a holiday.

So? I would think you'd be glad that I recognize it was intended to be a religious holiday celebrating the birth of your savior and not a government sanctioned event intended to compel people to spend money and buy things they do not need.

You're right, but also, he's just saying things that aren't remotely true. Christmas wasn't signed into law by George Washington. Make sure you don't mistakenly pass it on as casual conversation, because to anyone who actually knows, you'll come off like a know-it-all dunce. :plain:

gcthomas

Taking it down violated the Constitutional freedom of free exercise.

No, you are probably wrong.

Free Exercise of religion is a freedom that may be restricted, according to the Supreme Court. It is the holding of religious ideas that is unlimited in law.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Do you read the articles you post? An employee told them to leave. WinCo's attorney welcomed them back - so you should actually be cheering the fact that WinCo welcomes carolers.

WinCo’s corporate attorney, Mike Reed, called them back stating: “Winco has no written policy on that – we do as a company try to remain neutral on some policies.”
Reed told the girls that he didn’t “see any harm in a couple little girls singing” and gave them permission to continue spreading holiday cheer by singing outside of the store.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Worst "War on Christmas" ever. Seriously, there's a Christmas tree in my house. Also, on my own volition, I'm wearing a Santa hat at work.

I think I heard something about some Pagans wanting their holiday back.

We won't be celebrating Christmas with a Christmas tree or blinking lights or even a Nativity scene. My wife and I will enjoy our time together watching Christmas movies like "It's a Wonderful Life", "Miracle on 5th Avenue", "Mr. Magoo's A Christmas Carol", "Scrooged", "Die Hard", "Lethal Weapon", etc. Money is tight, there will be no presents to open. We're still paying off our medical bills from two years ago for my wife, and mine from one year ago. If she's up to it, we will go to church, that's about it and play with our dogs. Reading the Bible is a given.

Status
Not open for further replies.