War on Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned

I don't believe it! We won one!

QUOTE:

Gap will soon be wishing its customers a Merry Christmas. The clothing retailer, which also heads up Old Navy, will start abandoning its “Happy Holidays” approach to the winter season by having “Merry Christmas” messages in its advertisements. The change is considered to be a major victory for the American Family Association, who has been coordinating a grassroots e-mail campaign for eight years that targets retailers who use “Happy Holidays” messages.

The change in policy for Gap and Old Navy stores was confirmed in a statement by Bill Chandler, Gap Inc.’s vice-president for global corporate affairs. "As a global retailer, we embrace the diversity of our customers and respect a variety of traditions and faith during the holidays, including Christmas,” wrote Chandler. Starting today, every Gap Outlet window will have signs that say “Merry Christmas” along with Christmas trees and wreaths throughout their stores.”

Source: http://reagancoalition.com/articles/2013/gap-ditches-happy-holidays-for-merry-christmas.html

Cool, I don't know why they stopped.

zoo22

Wishing someone "happy holiday" is actually saying happy "Holy day" right? And really, what's the horror in that? Holy day. And isn't "Christmas" really a co-opted Catholic term? Merry Christ's Mass? Why do protestants have a fit about using it? Does that even really make sense? Have a merry mass?

Also, are Jews waging a war against Christmas? And when someone says Merry Christmas are they part of the war against Hanukah?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
images

Affirming Christmas

Dena

I always know Christmas is around the bend when lights are lit on the neighborhood trees, the smell of gingerbread and pine begins to fill the air, and Christian right-wingers start yelling about the war on Christmas. ... Ah, Christmastime :).

I went to the store the other day and when I finished checking out the guy said to me "have a beautiful holiday". I couldn't believe he had the audacity not to wish me a Merry Christmas...until I remembered I bought a menorah, candles and Chanukah cards.

:p

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Wishing someone "happy holiday" is actually saying happy "Holy day" right? And really, what's the horror in that? Holy day. And isn't "Christmas" really a co-opted Catholic term? Merry Christ's Mass? Why do protestants have a fit about using it? Does that even really make sense? Have a merry mass?

Also, are Jews waging a war against Christmas? And when someone says Merry Christmas are they part of the war against Hanukah?

Stop getting worked up about it, it's the intention behind the words, not what they say.

If someone wishes you a nice holiday by saying "Merry Christmas" then that's awesome, leave the censorship alone.

If someone says merry CHRISTmas, and makes it all about what they believe, then of course you should dislike that, that's not nice.

But it's not the word that matters.

zoo22

Stop getting worked up about it, it's the intention behind the words, not what they say.

If someone wishes you a nice holiday by saying "Merry Christmas" then that's awesome, leave the censorship alone.

If someone says merry CHRISTmas, and makes it all about what they believe, then of course you should dislike that, that's not nice.

But it's not the word that matters.

Did I say anything about not saying "Merry Christmas?" Maybe you mistook me for someone who did.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Did I say anything about not saying "Merry Christmas?" Maybe you mistook me for someone who did.

Not saying Merry Christmas is their whole argument. They just make up the celebrations on government property/public property as part of their agenda to get God back into government.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I went to the store the other day and when I finished checking out the guy said to me "have a beautiful holiday". I couldn't believe he had the audacity not to wish me a Merry Christmas...until I remembered I bought a menorah, candles and Chanukah cards.

:p

A belated Happy Chanukah. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.