War on Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

journey

Our large family and various churches we attend will observe Christmas and have a perfectly clear conscience about it. Why? - We won't be worshipping any pagan gods - never have.

Gasp! - Some of the things we'll do:

Listen to Christmas music and hymns,
Have special services at our churches,
Gather for Christian fellowship,
Worship God, give thanks, and pray,
Have family gatherings to eat and worship together,
Watch a Passion Play,
Listen to the children sing and recite Bible Verses,
Yes, we will have Christmas trees and exchange gifts,
Jesus Christ will be the guest of honor.

We'll do many of the same things at New Year.

Luke 2:7-15 KJV And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. 8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. 15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.

Speci030.gif

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...Gasp! - Some of the things we'll do:

Listen to Christmas music and hymns,
Have special services at our churches,
Gather for Christian fellowship,
Worship God, give thanks, and pray,
Have family gatherings to eat and worship together,
Watch a Passion Play,
Listen to the children sing and recite Bible Verses,
Yes, will will have Christmas trees and exchange gifts,
Jesus Christ will be the guest of honor...
:thumb:

Veterans Battling Order to Tear Down Landmark California Cross

Last edited:

Brother Vinny

Shouldn't Protestant Christians be in the forefront on the war on Christmas? After all, it is a holiday with documented roots in paganism, and flouts Jeremiah 10:2-4's injunction against prettying up trees and whatnot.

journey

Shouldn't Protestant Christians be in the forefront on the war on Christmas? After all, it is a holiday with documented roots in paganism, and flouts Jeremiah 10:2-4's injunction against prettying up trees and whatnot.

The portion of Scripture you gave is about making an idol to worship. I don't consider myself to be a Protestant, but I would say no to worshipping pagan gods any day of the year. So, it isn't an issue unless you worship pagan gods. My family worships the living God every day, not just at Christmas.

Speci030.gif

Brother Vinny

Vinny, facts like that have a liberal bias.

Or something.

Yeah. The fact of the matter is mainstream Protestantism only rejects what they categorize as pagan influences in the Church, making allowances for that which is convenient or makes them feel good, e.g., the days of the week, Christmas, Easter, etc. If a Protestant goes whole hog, shuns Christmas, changes to using "First Day, Second Day, . . ." and replaces "Easter" with "Resurrection Sunday," they're typically seen as a bit Looney Tunes (although the latter example is becoming a little more commonplace).

Brother Vinny

The portion of Scripture you gave is about making an idol to worship. I don't consider myself to be a Protestant, but I would say no to worshipping pagan gods any day of the year. So, it isn't an issue unless you worship pagan gods. My family worships the living God every day, not just at Christmas.

:thumb:

But I have met Christians and Messianic Jews who use the aforementioned passage to shun the holiday altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.