Trumpcare will throw people off healthcare?

exminister

There is a vast amount of possible healthcare. Many conditions are the result of poor choices over a lifetime. Some people do nothing about their health until it's too late. The quality of care is highly variable too.

Are all health care options a right no matter the expense? Are gender change operations a right? Are abortions a right? Are condoms a right? Is breast augmentation a right? Is the newest $5000 medicine a right even when a $30 generic is available? Are new liver transplants a right for people who refuse to stop drinking?

Who gets to decide what our rights are?

A commodity then? Goods and services...A plumber, electrician etc....

I hadn't considered whether healthcare was a service or a right. I have only heard people say either. So thanks, it is a good question for me to consider. Off the bat my gut says it is not a right to get free elective surgery. The angle I have approached this topic so far is as a Christian. The Bible says a lot about compassion. God desires mercy and not sacrifice. The Good Samaritan. The love of money is the root of all evil. I hadn't thought of a clearer example than this one now. The option to save a life or limit suffering over mammon. While we were yet sinners, impoverished if you will. Christ who could have called 10,000 angels gave his life. There are so many biblical such reference I am sure some are coming to your mind as well.

But for the Grace of God, there go I.

Actually as I slept last night my brain was working it and the obvious place for Americans to consider what is a right is the Declaration Of Independence. So I looked up Wiki this am. I see we have still have a draft copy which might be telling.

Wiki said:
Jefferson's "original Rough draught" is on exhibit in the Library of Congress.[4] This version was used by Julian Boyd to create a transcript of Jefferson's draft,[5] which reads:

We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness; ...

The Committee of Five edited Jefferson's draft. Their version survived further edits by the whole Congress intact, and reads:[6]

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Preservation Of Life. Referring to my emergency room example if a sick person shows up in dire need does he have a right to get attention and preserve his life? I want to say yes.

exminister

Who pays for that if the person does not have insurance?
Been talking about that through this whole thread. But will summarize.

There are two options.
1) Refuse care for those who cannot pay.
2) Provide care and therefore the taxpayer in some manner.

Option 1 shows no compassion. You can judge a society by how it treats its poor and needy. The Bible and Christ in particular even judge us on that. Sure the local news will report on such incidents.

Option 2 shows compassion over love of mammon. But the government would pay and therefore the taxpayer. Worst case for the nation's health is no preventative care and those without insurance would get all their care done by emergency room which is the most expensive way. I suggested above that a cost benefit analysis could be done on uninsured emergency room expenses and see if the government could do some limit form of preventative care to lower costs. What are the majority of emergency room cases like? Can any of those be better handled preventatively at a lower costs for those without insurance or means?

Another option just popped into my head is add a cost on everyone's insurance that is insurance for the uninsured. We have that on car insurance and you pay for it. If you are hit by an uninsured motorist your insurance company will cover your costs. This is thinking outside the box. I wouldn't defend it, but simply a stray thought.

In the end there is a cost.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I hadn't considered whether healthcare was a service or a right. I have only heard people say either. So thanks, it is a good question for me to consider. Off the bat my gut says it is not a right to get free elective surgery. The angle I have approached this topic so far is as a Christian. The Bible says a lot about compassion. God desires mercy and not sacrifice. The Good Samaritan. The love of money is the root of all evil. I hadn't thought of a clearer example than this one now. The option to save a life or limit suffering over mammon. While we were yet sinners, impoverished if you will. Christ who could have called 10,000 angels gave his life. There are so many biblical such reference I am sure some are coming to your mind as well.

Actually as I slept last night my brain was working it and the obvious place for Americans to consider what is a right is the Declaration Of Independence. So I looked up Wiki this am. I see we have still have a draft copy which might be telling.

Preservation Of Life. Referring to my emergency room example if a sick person shows up in dire need does he have a right to get attention and preserve his life? I want to say yes.

I've never seen the draft before. Thank you.

ClimateSanity

The right to life refers to the right to not have your life taken from you or harmed except if you are the aggressor.

ClimateSanity

The same people who demand that I pay for their bad decisions in life also demand that women have the right to take away the unborn right to life.

exminister

The right to life refers to the right to not have your life taken from you or harmed except if you are the aggressor.

That is why I thought the original draft added an important nuance - the preservation of life. That is different than taking someone's life.

So you would be fine to let the uninsured die in the streets? They have no right to care or life-saving aid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligent_homicide

ClimateSanity

We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independant, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these ends, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government shall become destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, & to institute new government, laying it's foundation on such principles & organising it's powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety & happiness.

That's the original draft you refer to.

Preservation of life does not stand alone if you seek to understand it's meaning. Look at the clause following it....

"that whenever any form of government shall become destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, & to institute new government".

It's talking about a government being destructive to preservation of life ....not being the guarantor of it.

Still, I'm all for emergency room treatment for people dying on the street even though it isn't mandated in our founding documents.

Last edited:

exminister

No. The healthcare bill under consideration does not do that.

Of course because it is "Obamacare fade away past our next couple of elections" healthcare bill.

But you asked me if people had a right to health care and I answered you.

So now I ask you who I believe are saying it is not a right - Would you be fine to let the uninsured die in the street because they have no right to care or life-saving aid?

exminister

We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independant, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these ends, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government shall become destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, & to institute new government, laying it's foundation on such principles & organising it's powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety & happiness.

That's the original draft you refer to.

Preservation of life does not stand alone if you seek to understand it's meaning. Look at the clause following it....

"that whenever any form of government shall become destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, & to institute new government".

It's talking about a government being destructive to preservation of life ....not bring the guarantor of it.

Still, I'm all for emergency room treatment for people dying on the street even though it isn't mandated in our founding documents.

Thanks for the expansion. I will give the extended version some thought.

OK. Then the taxpayers will cover emergency room treatment for the sick in dire need. It is the least a compassion people can do.

exminister

Lindsey Graham suggested taking very sick people out of the private insurance market.

Anybody here like that idea?

exminister

Democrats hate high risk pools.
Trumpcare offers some federal financing for high risk pools as well.

Wasn't asking about Democrats. Was asking if you like this idea?

If so how would you see it play out? The government and medical corporations would pay for and handle it sounds like. Taxpayers of course would be covering it.

Are you Trumpcare would only offer loans? How would the debt be paid back?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Charity Care and Bad Debt Deduction for Physicians
Amends the Internal Revenue Code to allow a physician a tax deduction equal to the amount
such physician would otherwise charge for charity medical care or uncompensated care due to
bad debt. This deduction is limited to 10% of a physician’s gross income for the taxable year.

:up:

Interesting idea. :think:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Most of those 22 million are those who will choose not to follow the mandate. They are younger people who will choose not to be insured.

I have a problem with the government forcing anyone tp purchase a product from a private company!!!!