toldailytopic: Women preaching from the pulpit. Is it wrong?

elohiym

Where a woman is to be silent is in a "meeting of the church". If the elders call a meeting for prayer or business and a woman is invited and wants to attend she can but she should keep silent.

Isn't the context of Paul's statement about asking questions that specifically might disrupt the meeting?

"And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Isn't the context of Paul's statement about asking questions that specifically might disrupt the meeting?

"And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

I would say that applies in both the local church service and the meeting of the church called by the elders.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
There's always Melissa Scott, but she makes it hard to stay focused on the message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjfur9elFYs

Pastor-Melissa-Scott-3.jpg

She has a lovely face, but she's a bit skinny for my tastes. She needs to start going to the all you can eat buffet after church each week.

Oh no....you got banned already? :jawdrop:

Man......there goes half my fun.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Always glad to hear from you, Sky even if we don't totally agree...Which we do 99% of the time...Amen!!!

The only reason I wanted to clarify my understanding is because it isn't possible for a woman to be totally silent at a regular church service and be involved in any capacity with a ministry.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Well I guess it's possible but I don't believe it is Biblical to say that women can't speak AT ALL in a regular church service. I guess she should have permission from her husband (if she is married) and the elder in charge if she speaks on behalf of a ministry or something related to the church.

elohiym

I would say that applies in both the local church service and the meeting of the church called by the elders.

Okay. Well, nobody, neither man nor woman, typically interrupts a sermon to ask questions. Indeed, if a man even did it these days, he'd get a look from the congregation members. There is a cultural context to what Paul was saying, and I don't believe that is clear to us.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Well I guess it's possible but I don't believe it is Biblical to say that women can't speak AT ALL in a regular church service. I guess she should have permission from her husband (if she is married) and the elder in charge.

I've never attended a church yet, where women were in total silence. I don't think Paul meant that women should remain 100% silent before and after the service. Just during the service. It's a tough one to follow, cause men and women, husbands and wife's talk back and forth during, before and after the service...

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I've never attended a church yet, where women were in total silence. I don't think Paul meant that women should remain 100% silent before and after the service. Just during the service. It's a tough one to follow, cause men and women, husbands and wife's talk back and forth during, before and after the service...

Well if women were held to that standard in a regular church service that they could not speak at all. Not even a whisper then it wouldn't be very inviting to others, seekers, who don't understand the distinction. Although the women who do understand and respect a certain level of understanding can practice what they know to be Biblical. The elders (male as the Bible teaches) should always maintain control of the pulpit and the metting of the church.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 21st, 2012 09:52 AM

toldailytopic: Women preaching from the pulpit. Is it wrong?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

It depends. Is it Shelli? Then yes...we have a problem.

cups

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

If God can appoint some women prophets, he can appoint some women teachers.

1 Timothy 2:12

Women are not to teach men. Women are not to teach men. Are women to teach men? Nope.