toldailytopic: Women Pastors. Good idea, bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstarrett

Yes his ministered to women as well as men.

Absolutely true. And we should do that. And there is a place for women in ministering to women, too. But women should not be the leaders of church bodies.

It would just surprise me if Christ (who openly treated women as equals in a day when that was not the norm, was probably cared for on the road by women, and appeared to them first after his death) was not okay with women being leaders of his Church.

It may surprise you, but that is what Paul said. Besides, it'll take a little more convincing on your part to get me to think Christ treated women as 'equal' in the sense of having the same role. He certainly treated them as precious and beloved in the sight of God, which they are, but I don't believe He ever taught that they were to take over all traditionally male roles, though, of course, the culture of the time had probably gone too far in the opposite direction, which He would also oppose.

The first Christians were taken care of by spiritually active women - they would meet in their houses to worship. Paul mentions several women who were active in the church: Priscilla and Aquila (Acts 18:26, Romans 16:3), Mary (Romans 16:6), Julia and Nereus's sister (Romans 16:15) and others.

I'm not against women being active in the church; as I said above, I even think there's a place for them in the ministry.

I am not saying that we should just cast tradition aside. I do think that is prudent to occasionally reevaluate and perhaps revise tradition.

Yes, but only with the utmost caution. And if our age has a persistent error, it is not that we cling too tightly to tradition.

Krsto

one reason i would not want a woman pastor (assuming i wasn't Catholic, which is hard for me to assume, even for the sake of arguemnt...) isbecause women dont like other women... They always seem to be in some weird competetion w/ other women..

don't be younger than they... they will dislike / hate you

dont be slimmer than they... ditto

dont be attractive to their husband/boyfriend..

geeze..

they dont realize how little a threat i am in that last one..

i dont want ANY man but Jesus... much less a married one...

but anyhow, the pt is that women dont like 52% of the population...

and also there is this, which relates to that last thing:

they go by their emotions too much..

men, generally spkg, are mor objective in their thinking

women can be objective in their thinking but they often have to work at it..

or get assistance from Jesus, Objective Truth Incarnate

Nice to hear this admission from a woman. We are speaking in generalities, there are exceptions to the rule and I think in this day and age if Paul were here he would word his advice differently.

Ardima

As I stated before, I find nothing unbiblical about a woman pastor as long as she is co-pastor with her husband. And as I pointed out before, the context of 1 Timothy 2:11-14 States that Paul (not God) does not permit.... This means he is giving his own personal advise not a rule by God. The context also shows that it is not a "woman" having authority over the "man" as many translations claim, but a "wife" having authority over the "husband." paul also gave his advice on what an overseer should be, and one is married. If a woman pastor is co-pastor with her husband (not another male pastor) then there is no scripture against her being a pastor. The same goes with women as teachers. if she is co-teacher with her husband there is no problem. If she is single and a teacher, there is no problem. If she is married, but her husband is not a student in her class there is no problem. The only times it would be a problem is if her husband is a student, her husband requests that she isn't in a teaching position, or she is teaching heresy.... Other than that, nothing in scripture forbids her from a possition of authority, as long as she doesn't assume it over her own husband...

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are some women who would be very capable of pastoring a congregation.

Should they lead the congregation? 1 Ti 2:12. "In the church, God assigns different roles to men and women..." Full text: Women pastors / preachers? What does the Bible say about women in ministry?" http://www.gotquestions.org/women-pastors.html
I read the "got questions" about women pastors before you posted the "got questions" link.

We belong to a denomination that has women pastors, and there are not a lot of women pastors in this denomination. The denomination does not do it in defiance of God's word or authority structure, it is not about women lord it over men, it has to with pastoring the congregation until there is a man pastor available.
Women pastors?

These that are women pastors, women missionaries, women evangelists, women Sunday school teachers, etc., would you have them quit and go home....

Question, if you were in charge concerning this matter, you would...?

serpentdove, why not answer the above question too.

Last edited:

Dena

For the OP, I have one male friend and the rest are women. I have no problem with women.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Women pastors?

These that are women pastors, women missionaries, women evangelists, women Sunday school teachers, etc., would you have them quit and go home....

There are many ways for women to serve. Leading the church is not their role.
True, there are many ways women can serve.

Why not answer the above question in the color red and underlined.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you mean if a woman is presently the senior pastor and has disregarded scripture on this matter? 1 Ti 2:12.

I'm sure there are some independents that are self appointed.

Women pastors?

These that are women pastors, women missionaries, women evangelists, women Sunday school teachers, etc.,
would you have them quit and go home....

The positions listed in the above...

Would you -
Summarily dismiss them from the pastoring position.
Ask them to step down and take the role of associate pastor.
Ask them to step down and a position that is not related to the pastorate.
Ask them to step down and blend in with the congregation or leave the fellowship.​

What about pastor who has died and his wife is the co-pastor, should she retain the pastorate?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...These that are women pastors, women missionaries, women evangelists, women Sunday school teachers, etc., would you have them quit and go home...
Female senior pastors are in the wrong role. No one is speaking about other postions in the church. Other positions are fine. 1 Ti 2:12.

Arthur Brain

Well, I reckon we can all agree that SD certainly shouldn't become a pastor. In your case 'remaining silent' really would be something to celebrate....

:plain:

Silent Hunter

Female senior pastors are in the wrong role. No one is speaking about other postions in the church. Other positions are fine. 1 Ti 2:12.
. . . has anyone mentioned the fact that Christian scholars have recognized 1 & 2 Timothy as forgeries for over 100 years? . . . sd, gr, caino and others must not have been on the memo distribution . . . :sigh:

Samstarrett

. . . has anyone mentioned the fact that Christian scholars have recognized 1 & 2 Timothy as forgeries for over 100 years? . . . sd, gr, caino and others must not have been on the memo distribution . . . :sigh:

It's very interesting how Silent Hunter takes issues that are the subject of ongoing scholarly debate and treats them as closed issues if by doing so he can impugn Scripture or Christian tradition.

Ardima

I'm sure there are some independents that are self appointed.

Women pastors?

These that are women pastors, women missionaries, women evangelists, women Sunday school teachers, etc.,
would you have them quit and go home....

The positions listed in the above...

Would you -
Summarily dismiss them from the pastoring position.
Ask them to step down and take the role of associate pastor.
Ask them to step down and a position that is not related to the pastorate.
Ask them to step down and blend in with the congregation or leave the fellowship.​

What about pastor who has died and his wife is the co-pastor, should she retain the pastorate?

Yes, I believe she should retain the pastorate. The only man she was to submit to was her husband, and once that tie is broken by his death, there is nothing restraining her from keeping the pastoral office alone.

Silent Hunter

It's very interesting how Silent Hunter takes issues that are the subject of ongoing scholarly debate and treats them as closed issues if by doing so he can impugn Scripture or Christian tradition.
Ongoing debate? Hardly. It is pretty much unanimous among Christian scholars (notice I didn't say atheist scholars) that 1 & 2 Timothy are forgeries . . . only a small minority on the fringe dispute the clear evidence in support . . . suggested reading . . . (the closed minded won't bother).

The most prevalent "tradition" among Christians is that Christians revel in calling each other heretics . . .

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...he should retain the pastorate.
She should not accept the position of senior pastor (1 Ti 2:12).

“If nominated, I will not accept; if drafted, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.” ~ William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited:

Samstarrett

Ongoing debate? Hardly. It is pretty much unanimous among Christian scholars (notice I didn't say atheist scholars) that 1 & 2 Timothy are forgeries . . . only a small minority on the fringe dispute the clear evidence in support . . . suggested reading . . . (the closed minded won't bother).

The authenticity of these books may be a minority view, but it is by no means an unknown one in the scholarly world. These books, further, were acknowledged as authentic by at least the second century, and almost certainly quoted by prominent church figures in the late first. It is simply not a closed issue.

Further, I hope you don't consider Bart Ehrman a "Christian scholar."

The most prevalent "tradition" among Christians is that Christians revel in calling each other heretics . . .

An absolutely irrelevant cheap shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.