toldailytopic: Women Pastors. Good idea, bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoingGoldenWCU

Bad idea. It's in contravention of New Testament leadership patterns and centuries of tradition, not to mention Paul's explicit command.

But women were also intimately involved with Jesus' ministry too. Also, centuries of tradition doesn't necessarily make it a good thing.

Silent Hunter

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 4th, 2011 11:00 AM

:confused:

:think:

Yeah . . . why not.

Women can get good people to part with their money as easily as men can . . . ala . . . Tammy Faye Baker.

Silent Hunter

Because of this?

1 Timothy 2:
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

LOL . . . another "good" Christian fooled by a forgery.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Bad idea. Paul also excludes new converts, youth and Polygamists, Do you think he's being discriminatory there?

Samstarrett

But women were also intimately involved with Jesus' ministry too.

I'm not sure what this means. Do you mean that the Lord ministered to women? Because while this is certainly true, it hardly seems relevant. Or do you mean that women assisted the Lord in ministering? If so, what women, and in what capacities?

Also, centuries of tradition doesn't necessarily make it a good thing.

Tradition can be bad. Nevertheless, we ought to give it the benefit of the doubt and not cast it aside lightly.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I don't see why they shouldn't . . . . .

I mean lets face it women are smarter, stronger, quicker, funnier and prettier then men . . . . .
:noid:

How could a women pastor possibly be a bad thing?

:plain: Speak for yourself...

I happen to be very pretty.

GoingGoldenWCU

Yes his ministered to women as well as men. It would just surprise me if Christ (who openly treated women as equals in a day when that was not the norm, was probably cared for on the road by women, and appeared to them first after his death) was not okay with women being leaders of his Church. The first Christians were taken care of by spiritually active women - they would meet in their houses to worship. Paul mentions several women who were active in the church: Priscilla and Aquila (Acts 18:26, Romans 16:3), Mary (Romans 16:6), Julia and Nereus's sister (Romans 16:15) and others.

I am not saying that we should just cast tradition aside. I do think that is prudent to occasionally reevaluate and perhaps revise tradition.

Silent Hunter

I'm not sure what this means. Do you mean that the Lord ministered to women? Because while this is certainly true, it hardly seems relevant. Or do you mean that women assisted the Lord in ministering? If so, what women, and in what capacities?

Tradition can be bad. Nevertheless, we ought to give it the benefit of the doubt and not cast it aside lightly.
He is perhaps referring to Priscilla . . . a major character in Acts and a proposed author of Hebrews by some scholars.

Silent Hunter

She's definitely one of the prominent women.
. . . leave it to an atheist to make that observation . . . [SH takes bow and polite applause]

Also don't forget a whole host of Marys . . . Salome . . . Joanna . . . a group known simply as "the women" . . . Lois . . . Phoebe . . . Lydia . . . Eunice . . . Elizabeth . . .

kmoney

Hall of Fame
This is a relevant question for me because there is a church near my house that I was considering visiting. And if I like it, possibly going there on a more regular basis. I believe the Pastor is a woman. And I believe one of the associate pastors is a woman too.

I don't think I would have a problem with it. I care more about how the leadership and preaching is done than the gender.

Ardima

Because of this?

1 Timothy 2:
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

I have two small problems with this passage of scripture.... One is that Paul clearly states that it is he (Paul) who does not permit a woman to teach.... The problem being that he never says that God does not permit a woman to teach... and the other is that it should read, "I suffer not a wife to teach, nor usurp authority over the husband," because of the context of the writing.... Therefore, I would have no problem with a woman in a teaching position within the church as long as she is single or does not have her husband in the class as a student. As far as pastoral leadership goes, I would be against it in most cases because it is good that a pastor be married (to avoid certain sexual sins). However, if she was a co-pastor with her husband (and therefore not usurping power over him) I would be inclined to let it be. The Scriptures say that a man and woman shall leave their parents and cling to each other and therefore they two shall become one flesh. If we truly believe this, shouldn't the wife of a pastor be treated in the same way as the pastor, himself?

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Good idea? There are some women who would be very capable of pastoring a congregation.

Bad idea? Not sure, a woman might be held to a stricter standard. A man pastor should be as well, but that is not always the case, but ii should be. I'm a chaplain, and I have an open door policy standard, I will not visit anyone, give advice or counseling to anyone without Mrs Psalmist being with me and it works very well, and if Mrs Psalmist cannot be with me, then I keep the door open.

There are women pastors now; one group would allow a women pastor where the is no man available to pastor that particular church, that is my answer, that position may have changed, I'll Google the question.

I believe where there would be a woman pastor and there is an associate pastor, the associate pastor should be a man; I think that would be complimentary to both pastoral roles and each to stay within the guidelines of their respective responsibilities.

In the nursing home ministry we have lady chaplains, and they do very well. Somebody mentioned lady missionaries, if they are qualified for that, why then wouldn't a woman be qualified for a church pastorate.

So what would the qualifications be for a women pastor?

Sure, why not?

because Jesus did not choose 12 or even 1 woman..

he chose 12 men

Jesus was a man, obviously, tho he was / is also God

True, one could argue that Jesus could have been wary of the Jews ... uh.. not appreciating Him choosing a woman... but then again, i doubt they would have made a big issue out of that.. When he chose the 12, no one knew until much later in the Church's history that the 12 chosen ones would be all that important... The Jews never seemed to question Jesus choosing any apostles... much less did they seem to care who they were or whatever..

so i doubt it would have been a big deal for Jesus to have chosen women apostles.. But he didn't.

It is going against Jesus to make women apostles.. It is also going against St Paul who said that the women should be silent in the Church.. That is not to say they can't read the readings or what have you.. but i think women remaining silent in the Church just means that thye are... as it says elsewhere in the scirptures... not to have authority over a man.. The man is the head of the woman... The Church is the head of the man... not sure where that is in scirputred but its there.

seems to me those who say they go by the Bible... only do so selectively...

i guess some psgs aren't as important as others???

woman was the one deceived by the devil, not the man. The man was in direct disobedience, which seems worse than being deceived by the devil... Maybe that's why Jesus had to be a man... to couteract, as it were, the disobedience of the man

to this day women are easily deceived.. .mor than men are..

i know ... i am a woman & that is one of my biggest faults... being easily deceived... thinking something is from God when it is probably not and that kind of thing. Fortunately i have the tyrannical Church :chuckle: (so some think) to keep me in line... But it is really Jesus Christ keeping me in line... In my mind there is no separation of Church & Jesus.. His tangible presence is There in the Church 24/7... :cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.