toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

. . . were I the one doing what chrys is doing I would be :banned:.

. . . why is it that "punishment" for disruptive behavior is so . . . unfairly meted out?

Actually, I think Knight is pretty long-suffering and understanding, somewhat tolerant even. But, if you tread on one of his nerves his judgment is swift and punishment even swifter!
If he were to let up too much, this place would become untenable.
I think he does a good job overall.:up:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
This is what I've pointed out about your practice of dodging and not really answering. I give you an argument, rooted in equality before the law, and you reach for the most grotesque potential imaginable to attempt to taint by association what you cannot reasonably address else.

I've set out, factually, how the marriage contract needn't produce or concern itself with children. I have also set out how, were that to be considered, the homosexual couple could through adoption or surrogacy produce and provide for children. I've noted the argument against discriminatory practice. The only way you can object to homosexual marriage is by applying your religious dogma, the very thing you would and have objected to strongly when attempted by Islamic fundamentalists.

it sounds like you are against a brother marrying a brother

do you have any reasons for that?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I understand that feeling. I don't much like change that is thrust upon me. But my feelings don't make much of a difference. I try to find a way to survive change.

what you think or believe might make a difference

why don't you share that?

Silent Hunter

Actually, I think Knight is pretty long-suffering and understanding, somewhat tolerant even.
. . . toward his own . . . absolutely.

. . . anyone else . . .
. . . not so much.

But, if you tread on one of his nerves his judgment is swift and punishment even swifter!
. . . but is he . . . fair?
. . . :nono:.

If he were to let up too much, this place would become untenable.
. . . unlikely.

I think he does a good job overall.
. . . overall? . . . perhaps.

. . . toward certain individuals . . .
. . . :nono:.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
it sounds like you are against a brother marrying a brother

do you have any reasons for that?

That's what I thought. Presented with yet another chance to do the intellectually honest thing you retreat behind yet another smoke screen. It's making conversation with you meaningless, except as a means to fight misinformation. I'm sorry to see it.

But to do more than you're ever likely to: of course I find your example morally objectionable. Or I would if anyone was actually suggesting it. Doesn't have anything to do with the legality involved though. I'm also against Sharia law overlays. You are too, which means you're advancing a hypocritical position, or an irrational one.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
That's what I thought. Presented with yet another chance to do the intellectually honest thing you retreat behind yet another smoke screen. It's making conversation with you meaningless, except as a means to fight misinformation. I'm sorry to see it.

But to do more than you're ever likely to: of course I find your example morally objectionable. Or I would if anyone was actually suggesting it. Doesn't have anything to do with the legality involved though. I'm also against Sharia law overlays. You are too, which means you're advancing a hypocritical position, or an irrational one.

so you think brothers should be able to legally marry?

Silent Hunter

so you think brothers should be able to legally marry?
. . . two brothers can get married . . .
. . . but . . .
. . . only if two white guys can too . . .
. . . :chuckle:.

. . . oh . . . and then there's this . . .

. . . are you married?

. . . do you have children?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
. . . toward his own . . . absolutely.
. . . anyone else . . .. . . not so much.
Except there are any number of people holding and advancing ideas against his position who don't run into trouble on the ban front without meaning to. As I've noted previously, my introduction here involved Knight yelling at me. :chuckle: And PK slapping a neg rep on my then nonexistent rep. I stuck to my guns, made my points, established my own reputation and eventually thrived here, even if lately I've come to suspect the place might be better off with me taking a prolonged vacation, as my suffering thermostat isn't what it once was...

While I now consider Knight a friend I'm hardly one of insiders around here, not being a right winger or SOS member, by way of illustration. I also haven't been sent packing. Not because I've been on the popular side of the issues here, but because I approach issues without resorting to practices that I understand would be counterproductive to my point. So while my opponents may find me a condescendingly arrogant gas bag, they won't find a descriptive that crosses the line into the undefensible and infraction worthy.

It isn't physics.

. . . but is he . . . fair?. . . :nono:.
By what standard? And even allowing for it, if you realize it and understand the implications it shouldn't be a real impediment.

. . . unlikely.
I differ, having looked about at a number of less well regulated forums and seen the crudity that passes for discourse as a common practice. I'm glad we have higher standards here and would applaud the effort to achieve that without squelching spirited discussion.

Silent Hunter

Except there are any number of people holding and advancing ideas against his position who don't run into trouble on the ban front without meaning to. As I've noted previously, my introduction here involved Knight yelling at me. :chuckle: And PK slapping a neg rep on my then nonexistent rep. I stuck to my guns, made my points, established my own reputation and eventually thrived here, even if lately I've come to suspect the place might be better off with me taking a prolonged vacation, as my suffering thermostat isn't what it once was...

While I now consider Knight a friend I'm hardly one of insiders around here, not being a right winger or SOS member, by way of illustration. I also haven't been sent packing. Not because I've been on the popular side of the issues here, but because I approach issues without resorting to practices that I understand would be counterproductive to my point. So while my opponents may find me a condescendingly arrogant gas bag, they won't find a descriptive that crosses the line into the undefensible and infraction worthy.

It isn't physics.

By what standard? And even allowing for it, if you realize it and understand the implications it shouldn't be a real impediment.

I differ, having looked about at a number of less well regulated forums and seen the crudity that passes for discourse as a common practice. I'm glad we have higher standards here and would applaud the effort to achieve that without squelching spirited discussion.
. . . yet chrys is still . . . here.

. . . when with every post he shows us he . . . shouldn't.

. . . I would have been banned LONG ago.

. . . and you say that's fair? :rolleyes:.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
. . . yet chrys is still . . . here.

. . . when with every post he shows us he . . . shouldn't.
Well, he isn't being either profane or profound, so there's no reason for much praise or any particular censure. I doubt Knight is paying this thread any particular attention or, if he is, finds much in it that surprises him or pushes the permissible envelope.

Silent Hunter

Well, he isn't being either profane or profound, so there's no reason for much praise or any particular censure. I doubt Knight is paying this thread any particular attention or, if he is, finds much in it that surprises him or pushes the permissible envelope.
. . . I would have been banned LONG ago.

. . . and you say that's fair? :rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.