toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If statements is all you can come up with, then I do not see the point of you participating in a discussion. Discussion presupposes that the parties are willing to give reasons for their view. No thinking person will be convinced by a mere declaration that is not founded in a reasonable argument.

maybe I missed your reasons

what are they?

Selaphiel

maybe I missed your reasons

what are they?

Two consenting adults have the right to form a legally recognized union, since there is no rational reason that suggests that they should not be able to do that.
They can adopt children and they can support children. There is no a priori reason to suspect that they are better or worse parents than a heterosexual couple. There is no evidence that suggests that they are either.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Two consenting adults have the right to form a legally recognized union, since there is no rational reason that suggests that they should not be able to do that.
They can adopt children and they can support children. There is no a priori reason to suspect that they are better or worse parents than a heterosexual couple. There is no evidence that suggests that they are either.

what are these rights based on?
and
are there any limits to them?
a brother marrying a brother

Silent Hunter

and
. . . this has all been covered in the last 1600+ posts (100+ pages) chrys . . .

. . . your proving to everyone you're a :troll: . . .

. . . and should be :banned: for it.

Selaphiel

and

This has been explained to you ad infinitum by both rexlunae and Town Heretic. I see no need to repeat what they have said.
I did not read through the last 40 pages without learning something. I'm unwilling to discuss this issue with you until you can provide some reasons and/or evidence for your views on this topic at hand.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
This has been explained to you ad infinitum by both rexlunae and Town Heretic. I see no need to repeat what they have said.
I did not read through the last 40 pages without learning something. I'm unwilling to discuss this issue with you until you can provide some reasons and/or evidence for your views on this topic at hand.

so you are limited to declarations
and
somehow it is okay for you

Selaphiel

so you are limited to declarations
and
somehow it is okay for you

I have given you my reasons and I referred you to other posts for your attempt to change the actual question at hand.

do you have a reason why they should get married?

They want to, because they find it meaningful in one way or another. That is all the reason they need, there is no reason to not allow it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
do you have a reason why they should get married?
Sure. Because they desire to enter into that contract, binding them to another person. That's all that is required, other than capacity, for any heterosexual couple and it's all that should be required here.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Sure. Because they desire to enter into that contract, binding them to another person. That's all that is required, other than capacity, for any heterosexual couple and it's all that should be required here.

so it is okay for a brother to marry a brother?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
so it is okay for a brother to marry a brother?
This is what I've pointed out about your practice of dodging and not really answering. I give you an argument, rooted in equality before the law, and you reach for the most grotesque potential imaginable to attempt to taint by association what you cannot reasonably address else.

I've set out, factually, how the marriage contract needn't produce or concern itself with children. I have also set out how, were that to be considered, the homosexual couple could through adoption or surrogacy produce and provide for children. I've noted the argument against discriminatory practice. The only way you can object to homosexual marriage is by applying your religious dogma, the very thing you would and have objected to strongly when attempted by Islamic fundamentalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.