toldailytopic: Imagine by John Lennon: love it or hate it?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Proverbs 26:7 The legs of the lame are not equal: so is a parable in the mouth of fools.

"Just leave me the mode that would suitably imitate the tone and rhythm of a courageous person who is active in battle or doing other violent deeds, or who is failing and facing wounds, death, or some other misfortune, and who, in all these circumstances, is fighting off his fate steadily and with self control" (Plato's Republic, book III (399a-b)).

The Trooper - Iron Maiden

Aces High - Iron Maiden

SaulToPaul 2

On the surface it sounds good, but at it's core it's anti-Christ.
Same with "We are the World".

When did God turn stones to bread? (Willie Nelson's part)
All I know is Jesus Christ refused to turn stones to bread.

SaulToPaul 2

And the world will live as one

Genesis 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

Genesis 11:2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

Genesis 11:3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.

Genesis 11:4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

Genesis 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

Genesis 11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Genesis 11:7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

alwight

Lennon was a Godless man who sang in this song that God was source of the worlds problems, He was "imagining" a utopian world where God does not exist and we would all be better for it. Knight nailed it, the song is nothing more than a naive platitude. It is not realistic to those of us that know there is a God and the source of evil is sin. Really there is no other way to interpret what Lennon said here from my POV.
It seems to me that you have rather taken JL's lyrics as a slight against your own particular "God". Lennon was far more concerned about all the various religious beliefs that abound and of how all the different and often conflicting beliefs that often seem to cause human conflict, which he includes nationality and culture.
I really don't think he was blaming yours or any particular god rather the belief in gods itself or perhaps more so, religious faith.

----

I never particularly enjoyed this particular JL song that much and tend to agree with Knight about the "naive platitude" but surely lyrics often are. If I like the overall sound then that is more important to me and even as a non-believer I will more happily listen to "Jesus Is Just Alright" by the Doobie Brothers or The Byrds than "Imagine". :)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
While I liked much of the Beatles' music, this song is one that I don't care for at all. Reminds me of the usual Moonbeam theology of the New Agers, something that Lennon seemed quite taken by.

AMR

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
While I liked much of the Beatles' music, this song is one that I don't care for at all. Reminds me of the usual Moonbeam theology of the New Agers, something that Lennon seemed quite taken by.

AMR
To be fair, Imagine isn't a Beatles song.

A "Penny Lane" for your thoughts though. :tunes:

unknown

As a working musician, I've been playing this song for over 16 years. It stays on my song list for a number of reasons, the main one being the tip jar (the main criteria for all songs on my list)

What I have seen mostly is that only religious people who insist on heaven and hell dislike this song. They seem to relate the absence of heaven and hell to an anti-God sentiment.

That doesn't bother me, they are a small minority, I still get $20 tips for this song, I love it.

unknown

Acts 2:44-45
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
I think it's funny that many "Christians" can't relate to this ideal. I find their argument to be against themselves. (as demonstrated)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 2nd, 2012 11:13 AM

toldailytopic: Imagine by John Lennon: love it or hate it?

The melody is very well written--but the lyrics were dredged from a sewage treatment plant. I can fertilize an entire field of flowers with that. I wouldn't put it on corn or beans--too toxic.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
John Lennon recorded and released 'Imagine' in 1971.
At the time and for the next 7 or 8 years the song expressed much of my worldview.
When I was supernaturally redeemed in 1979, the song suddenly became something that I didn't enjoy hearing anymore.

pqmomba8

Eh, you're ALL wrong, of course. Frank Zappa is the musical genius of our time. (Much, much more than Lennon was, in my humble opinion.) FZ was incredibly talented, prolific and for those who enjoy jazz, there's no better source of progressive, avant garde jazz music.

So there!

elohiym

So how many of you think "peace on earth and good will to men" is just a naive platitude, too?

:sigh: And only eight days after Christmas.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
So how many of you think "peace on earth and good will to men" is just a naive platitude, too?

:sigh: And only eight days after Christmas.

Elo: you know for a fact that I want nothing short of this, and that I've often posted threads about the evils of war, violence and poverty. :noid:

That doesn't change the fact that the song is gay sissy garbage. :idunno: