toldailytopic: Imagine by John Lennon: love it or hate it?

PureX

My question is: What brings about this kind of thinking?
I blame myself. I'm not a big Michael Jackson fan, but you do have to start with the man in the mirror.
I mean I know what Jesus taught, to love my enemies, to overcome evil with good, to turn the other cheek.
And what do I do? I use his word as a sword to run my neighbor through!
When what I really need to be doing,is showing them
This is where it is! This is what you are looking for! And God wants us to have it.
I need to beat my sword into a plough share, and sow some seed.
It does seem foolish to supposedly be trying to attract people to Christ while insulting, condemning, and generally expressing disdain toward them.

rexlunae

zippy2006

Of course it changes the meaning of the song. That's because it's Cee Lo's interpretation. If it weren't different, he wouldn't bother. I would agree more with Lennon's lyrics than with Green's, but I think the people who have a really big problem with this are exactly the sort of people the song is trying to reach, in either form.

Why don't you flesh out your utopia for us in a few words?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Speaking of the Beatles, I just watched Nowhere Boy yesterday.

It actually made it dumber; it's completely impossible, not to mention implausible, for all religions to be true. At least in Lennon's version it makes sense for him to believe in the plausibility of his "vision."

I personally think The Beatles is a wildly overrated band.
Agreed.

I also agree that Lennon was a better lyricist than McCartney.

And as for John Lennin (I mean Lennon, sorry). I cannot see what he saw in Yoko. She may be fine for Trad, but she's one scary Asian to me.
Imagine her younger and completely silent.

rexlunae

You don't believe in a best-possible world? How do you judge what is wrong with this one? :idunno:

I don't think you need to have some absolute perfect idea in mind to have a sense of better or worse, and I'm skeptical that anyone could describe a complete utopia very well. That doesn't mean you don't have some handle on good and bad.

For the sake of staying on topic, I'll narrow the scope of your question a bit in the hopes that I'll give you some part of an answer. If the question is, 'would I eliminate all religion if I could?', I think the answer is no. I think it would be a loss to humanity if there were no one to ask some of the questions that religion does. The questions have value in the process of answering, perhaps more than in the conclusion. But I also think that the tendency of religion toward dogmatism is often very dangerous, so there are definitely two sides to it.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Because you have no vision; but, we already knew that. :sigh:

A world of "no religion" is not a world with "no God."
I think someone here said that just above..... but rocketman can't read I guess.... :cool:

Your such a moron...

eameece

He said,

"Yo I meant no disrespect by changing the lyric guys! I was trying to say a world were u could believe what u wanted that's all."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ging-lyrics-to-imagine-20120102#ixzz1iZgNcMQJ

It was a fine change. There is truth in all religions. That is an improvement over saying there should be no religion.