toldailytopic: Imagine by John Lennon: love it or hate it?

elohiym

I've made my points, and the responses to them were lame, contradictory and hypocritical.

His sheep hear His voice.

The reader can decide. :wave2:

eameece

If somebody said that in regard to nations, politics, national defense, and criminal justice it would be just a platitude. That's why God gave much more detailed descriptions as to how to handle the reality of life (dealing with bad people etc.).

Yeah, real practical instructions. If someone takes your coat, give him your cloak too!

eameece

I don't think we will find agreement here elo, Lennon was a Godless man who sang in this song that God was source of the worlds problems, He was "imagining" a utopian world where God does not exist and we would all be better for it. Knight nailed it, the song is nothing more than a naive platitude. It is not realistic to those of us that know there is a God and the source of evil is sin. Really there is no other way to interpret what Lennon said here from my POV.

Because you have no vision; but, we already knew that. :sigh:

A world of "no religion" is not a world with "no God."
I think someone here said that just above..... but rocketman can't read I guess.... :cool:

eameece

Answering Barney's endless ridiculously ill-informed, cynical and simple-minded statements on every conceivable subject is a waste of time. But just for fun,

John contributed a lot of time and money to various charities, most of which were private donations. In 1975, John spent an entire weekend in Philadelphia working on the WLIF Helping Hand marathon, answering phones and taking pledges from callers.

According to officials in the NYPD, John also donated a large sum of money in the late 1970's for the purpose of supplying bullet proof vests for officers. This was during the time that NYC was undergoing its financial crisis.

Both John and Yoko tithed ten percent of their income, earmarking it for a number of charities.MP

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_charities_did_John_Lennon_do#ixzz1iNKK6bU1

And Imagine doesn't specifically ask people to give up all their possessions, or to do that and follow Jesus, so he's not a hypocrite. He said imagine a world with no possessions.

I guess he could have used one of those bullet-proof vests for himself.

tudorturtl

Lets take a look at the lyrics.....

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one

My question is: What brings about this kind of thinking?
I blame myself. I'm not a big Michael Jackson fan, but you do have to start with the man in the mirror.
I mean I know what Jesus taught, to love my enemies, to overcome evil with good, to turn the other cheek.
And what do I do? I use his word as a sword to run my neighbor through!
When what I really need to be doing,is showing them
This is where it is! This is what you are looking for! And God wants us to have it.
I need to beat my sword into a plough share, and sow some seed.

elohiym

John contributed a lot of time and money to various charities, most of which were private donations. In 1975, John spent an entire weekend in Philadelphia working on the WLIF Helping Hand marathon, answering phones and taking pledges from callers.

According to officials in the NYPD, John also donated a large sum of money in the late 1970's for the purpose of supplying bullet proof vests for officers. This was during the time that NYC was undergoing its financial crisis.

Some foolish mocker in the shoutbox is accusing you of defending the 1%.

I thought I should point out that Abraham was very rich (Genesis 13:2), but I don't see anywhere in the Bible where he gave his wealth away; and he was called a friend of God (James 2:23).

BabyChristian

I always loved Lennon's thoughts, because he thought differently.

I can't blame him for his thoughts about religion, though he never kept in mind all of the atrocities committed by atheist countries. Which has killed more humans than any religion.

Lennon was young and dumb and doing drugs when he wrote many of his songs.

He became a good father and husband later on in life and even liked Ronald Reagan after living life on this planet a bit longer and seeing the reality of things and how people will get what they can for free whenever possible.

Had he lived past 1980 who knows what he might have thought by now?

He might have even been a Republican. :guitar:

Seems life kind of teaches you that a person needs to take care of themselves and ONLY help those that REALLY needs help.

I loved him and still do.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Imagine that he really was more popular than Jesus.

Did any become nurses or doctors out of love for the Beatles?
Teachers of the young? firemen?

Did any dedicate their lives to charity? did anyone join the Salvation Army?

People put aside careers for Jesus, their whole lives, even today 2, 000 years after He came and they have been doing so for centuries.

All Lennon had was slogans and stupid gestures, staying in bed for a week fitted him fine. He is just what college boy education has done to England.

Any christian who admires Lennon will be a thoroughly mixed up one...all up one day, down in the dumps the next.

some other dude

Some foolish

Careful there Sparky - you're in danger of hell fire :nono:

mocker in the shoutbox is accusing you of defending the 1%.

Yes, that's what he was doing. He was defending John Lennon, who was certainly in the top 1% of earners, a group that eemee has spent no inconsiderable amount of time railing against.

I thought I should point out that Abraham was very rich (Genesis 13:2), but I don't see anywhere in the Bible where he gave his wealth away; and he was called a friend of God (James 2:23).

And did Abraham go around telling his family and neighbors "Gee, wouldn't it be swell if we all gave away all our posessions? Well not me, but it sure would be swell for all you stupid hippies."

some other dude

That a whole lot of folks through the years have sincerely admired and copied.

Not sure that's a real good argument, eemee.

060826_nazis_hmed_8p.hmedium.jpg

nothead

BANNED
Banned
Pure dee hodgepodge of unmitigated mush.

What do you expect from the cosmos? Principalities and powers of darkness.

Catchy tune. Me an' Heretic do the disco on this one.

Oops. Wrong genre. Kinda hard, what?

The culture of the time had many who disdained mainstream religion, the perception was that mainstreamers had gotten us into war. And maybe our own poor butts blown to bits. This was not totally inaccurate.

eameece

My question is: What brings about this kind of thinking?
I blame myself. I'm not a big Michael Jackson fan, but you do have to start with the man in the mirror.
I mean I know what Jesus taught, to love my enemies, to overcome evil with good, to turn the other cheek.
And what do I do? I use his word as a sword to run my neighbor through!
When what I really need to be doing,is showing them
This is where it is! This is what you are looking for! And God wants us to have it.
I need to beat my sword into a plough share, and sow some seed.

That would be a welcome change among religious people. Follow the teachings of the master.

eameece

I always loved Lennon's thoughts, because he thought differently.

I can't blame him for his thoughts about religion, though he never kept in mind all of the atrocities committed by atheist countries. Which has killed more humans than any religion.

Lennon was young and dumb and doing drugs when he wrote many of his songs.

He became a good father and husband later on in life and even liked Ronald Reagan after living life on this planet a bit longer and seeing the reality of things and how people will get what they can for free whenever possible.

Had he lived past 1980 who knows what he might have thought by now?

He might have even been a Republican. :guitar:

Seems life kind of teaches you that a person needs to take care of themselves and ONLY help those that REALLY needs help.

I loved him and still do.

No, he would not have fallen for the trickle-down delusion which you have fallen for.

He would not have liked Ronald Reagan.

Life does not teach that people need to take care of themselves, but that people need to take care of one another. That's what Jesus taught. Of course maybe he was a young hippie when he taught those things.

To think differently today, we need to reject that trickle-down theory and other worn out ideologies from the 18th century.

eameece

The culture of the time had many who disdained mainstream religion, the perception was that mainstreamers had gotten us into war. And maybe our own poor butts blown to bits. This was not totally inaccurate.

Very accurate, both then and now.