The Most Dangerous Teaching

turbosixx

But Paul says he kept back nothing that was profitable when he preached repentance TOWARD GOD and faith TOWARD our Lord Jesus Christ. He did not preach baptism because the ONE baptism that saves is the one performed by the Holy Spirit upon those who believe.

Did Paul (water) baptize Crispus?
Acts 18:8 Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed in the Lord, together with his entire household. And many of the Corinthians hearing Paul believed and were baptized.

turbosixx

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.​

I would suggest to you this is that verse in action. These people were water baptized and who added them?
Acts 2:41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

glorydaz

I would suggest to you this is that verse in action. These people were water baptized and who added them?
Acts 2:41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

Being baptized into the visible church, a baptism performed by man, if far different than being baptized into the body of Christ, by the Holy Spirit. Even unbelievers can be water baptized, and many are. They often fall away proving they never believed to begin with.

The work of saving is the Spirit's on behalf of our Lord and Saviour. Being baptised INTO Christ's body includes being crucified with Christ, and being raised into LIFE. It includes the purification of the heart by FAITH. One can be baptized into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit when there is no visible church for hundreds of miles and not a drop of water anywhere.

To claim otherwise is to claim we are saved by the works of men and not of God alone.

Paul speaks of our being "sealed" with the Holy Spirit....nothing about being water baptised.

Eph. 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

turbosixx

Being baptized into the visible church, a baptism performed by man, if far different than being baptized into the body of Christ, by the Holy Spirit. Even unbelievers can be water baptized, and many are. They often fall away proving they never believed to begin with.

The work of saving is the Spirit's on behalf of our Lord and Saviour. Being baptised INTO Christ's body includes being crucified with Christ, and being raised into LIFE. It includes the purification of the heart by FAITH. One can be baptized into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit when there is no visible church for hundreds of miles and not a drop of water anywhere.

To claim otherwise is to claim we are saved by the works of men and not of God alone.

Paul speaks of our being "sealed" with the Holy Spirit....nothing about being water baptised.

Eph. 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

So who added those who were water baptized in Acts 2? Man or God?

glorydaz

Did Paul (water) baptize Crispus?
Acts 18:8 Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed in the Lord, together with his entire household. And many of the Corinthians hearing Paul believed and were baptized.

Crispus was a Jew. Jews require signs.

That doesn't change the fact that he didn't preach water baptism....His gospel was salvation by Grace through Faith, and every attempt you make to add the works of man to SALVATION is doing despite to the work of Christ on the Cross.

turbosixx

Crispus was a Jew. Jews require signs.
What sign did Jesus say they would be given?

That doesn't change the fact that he didn't preach water baptism....His gospel was salvation by Grace through Faith, and every attempt you make to add the works of man to SALVATION is doing despite to the work of Christ on the Cross.

I would suggest to you what you fail to see is that we don't see him preaching it because it had already been instructed by Jesus and established in scripture before Paul.

Did he baptize these men on his last journey?
Acts 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

glorydaz

So who added those who were water baptized in Acts 2? Man or God?

God does many works, and giving the gift of the Spirit, and the establishment of the visible church would be His. God has given the gift of the Spirit in the past, as he has established the church in the wilderness in the past. That is certainly Good News, but does not mean any of them were baptised by the Spirit into the Body of Christ or had been sealed with the Holy Spirit. Not the same thing.

turbosixx

God does many works, and giving the gift of the Spirit, and the establishment of the visible church would be His. God has given the gift of the Spirit in the past, as he has established the church in the wilderness in the past. That is certainly Good News, but does not mean any of them were baptised by the Spirit into the Body of Christ or had been sealed with the Holy Spirit. Not the same thing.

Acts 2:47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
These people were water baptized and then the Spirit of God added them to the church. We can see what 1 Cor. 12:13 means.

Were the Corinthians water baptized at their conversion?

glorydaz

What sign did Jesus say they would be given?

There were many signs....all the miracles, and healings. Cherry picking won't help you here. :chuckle:

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Acts 2:43And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

I would suggest to you what you fail to see is that we don't see him preaching it because it had already been instructed by Jesus and established in scripture before Paul.

Did he baptize these men on his last journey?
Acts 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

I would suggest all those Gentiles had NOT heard they needed to repent and be water baptised, but you claim Paul just neglected that important fact?

turbosixx

There were many signs....all the miracles, and healings. Cherry picking won't help you here. :chuckle:

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Acts 2:43And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Those verses are talking about miracles, baptism isn't a miracle.

I would suggest all those Gentiles had NOT heard they needed repent and be water baptised, but you claim Paul just neglected that important fact?

They were taught baptism because it's how one becomes a Christian. If not then why would he ask them 3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John's baptism.”
John's baptism isn't baptism in the name of Jesus, that's why he does it before he gives them the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

If Paul didn't hold anything back, why would he preach the exact same sermon as Peter and baptize believers "in the name of Jesus" just like Peter on all of his journeys?

glorydaz

Acts 2:47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
These people were water baptized and then the Spirit of God added them to the church.

The Lord was adding to the visible church of the House of Israel.....those who were "being saved". It's a membership into the assembly. Note Young's makes that clearer.

Acts 2:47 YLT
47 praising God, and having favour with all the people, and the Lord was adding those being saved every day to the assembly.

We can see what 1 Cor. 12:13 means.

You see what you want to see.

Were the Corinthians water baptized at their conversion?

Some may have been. You don't know any more than I do about those Corinthians.

turbosixx

You see what you want to see.

I've said my piece and I'd like to leave you with a thought.

Adam and Eve had one simple command yet Satan was able to confuse them into believing that they would not die even though God said they would.

Jesus commanded make Christians by baptizing them in his name and we see Paul converting people by baptizing believers in the name of Jesus on all of his journeys.

Don't you think Satan would confuse how someone becomes a Christian.

glorydaz

Those verses are talking about miracles, baptism isn't a miracle.

It was a sign to the Jews. Just as circumcision was a sign.

They were taught baptism because it's how one becomes a Christian. If not then why would he ask them 3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John's baptism.”
John's baptism isn't baptism in the name of Jesus, that's why he does it before he gives them the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

So, you admit that John's baptism is not the same as the one you claim Paul doesn't preach?

Matthew 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:​

Why does Paul say he wasn't sent to baptize as the other Apostles were? Because water baptism is not a part of preaching the Gospel of Grace.

Lest the "cross of Christ be to none effect". 1 Cor. 1:17

Paul was given a different message than that of the other Apostles. Gal 1:11-12

If Paul didn't hold anything back, why would he preach the exact same sermon as Peter and baptize believers "in the name of Jesus" just like Peter on all of his journeys?

What? They didn't preach the death, burial, and resurrection....justification by faith. They preached repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. Paul preached the DBR and justification by faith.

Lest the cross of Christ be of none effect. Two different Gospels.

turbosixx

Why does Paul say he wasn't sent to baptize as the other Apostles were? 1 Cor. 1:17
Please explain this verse in the context and in harmony with Acts 18:8 where we see the Corinthians being baptized.

What? They didn't preach the death, burial, and resurrection....justification by faith. They preached repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. Paul preached the DBR and justification by faith.

Paul and Peter preached the exact same sermon, Acts 2 & 13. We see Paul's sermon called the gospel because in the next chapter it says he continued to preach the gospel.

glorydaz

I've said my piece and I'd like to leave you with a thought.

Adam and Eve had one simple command yet Satan was able to confuse them into believing that they would not die even though God said they would.

Jesus commanded make Christians by baptizing them in his name and we see Paul converting people by baptizing believers in the name of Jesus on all of his journeys.

Don't you think Satan would confuse how someone becomes a Christian.

Sure he would, and he does every day. He tries to add works of man to BELIEVE in the Lord Jesus Christ.
He'd try to convince people salvation was not a Gift, that they had to perform some work in order to be saved.

I was water baptized. :banana:

I confess all my sins. :banana:

I repent of my sins and obey. :banana:

I tithe and observe the Sabbath. :banana:

I die daily. :banana:

I love everybody. :banana:

I don't talk mean. :banana:

turbosixx

Sure he would, and he does every day. He tries to add works of man to BELIEVE in the Lord Jesus Christ.
He'd try to convince people salvation was not a Gift, that they had to perform some work in order to be saved.

You're smart enough to figured out how Jesus' words are not true just as Adam and Eve did.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Good luck with that.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Woohoo!
Racking up the brownie points.
Which when placed on the scales will come up short.

glorydaz

Please explain this verse in the context and in harmony with Acts 18:8 where we see the Corinthians being baptized.

The Jews looked for a sign....water baptism was a sign of the Jews' acceptance of their Messiah. But Paul was sent to preach the Cross. Water baptism was not the preaching of the cross.

Paul and Peter preached the exact same sermon, Acts 2 & 13. We see Paul's sermon called the gospel because in the next chapter it says he continued to preach the gospel.

Gospel means Good News. Peter's "sermon" was not Good News. It was an indictment against the Jews.

Acts 2:36-37 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?​

Where do you see this in Acts 2? Paul was separated unto the Gospel which highlighted justification by faith in the blood. Paul was separated unto preaching the CROSS.

Acts 13:38-39 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: 39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.​

glorydaz

You're smart enough to figured out how Jesus' words are not true just as Adam and Eve did.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Good luck with that.

Where did you get that quote? I wish you'd quote correctly. Here's why...

Saved from what? Why does it say those who believe not shall be damned. It doesn't say those who are not baptized will be damned.

Mark 16:15-17
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

You're smart enough to figure out how Jesus' words are not true for YOU. Can you cast out devils, and speak with new tongues?

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;​

Can you pick up poisonous serpents, and drink any deadly thing and not be hurt?

Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.​

Sounds like signs and wonders to me. Paul had those for awhile, but they ceased. Why is that?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where did you get that quote? I wish you'd quote correctly. Here's why...

Saved from what? Why does it say those who believe not shall be damned. It doesn't say those who are not baptized will be damned.
Mark 16:15-17
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

You're smart enough to figure out how Jesus' words are not true for YOU. Can you cast out devils, and speak with new tongues?
Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;​

Can you pick up poisonous serpents, and drink any deadly thing and not be hurt?
Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.​

Sounds like signs and wonders to me. Paul had those for awhile, but they ceased. Why is that?
Not only that, but why did they later agree to only go to the circumcision?
We know that they did not carry out their marching order to go to every creature (Mark 16:15) because Jesus also told them that they would not get 'er done before Christ returns, and Christ has not returned yet, so their mission has not yet been completed and won't be until Christ returns. Mat 10:23

Something happened that put all this on hold.