The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

HopeofGlory

Apollos,

Give us one scripture that says the water baptism performed at Pentecost was NEW. Also, explain the differences between the old and the new. What OT scriptures foretold of your new water baptism that we may know it is true?

In Christ
Craig

Freak

I understand it was before the New Covenant but it still doesn't change the fact that is was symbolic. Jesus is God-He didn't need the baptism (for anything) but to show us we too need to identify symbolically with Him after justification has occured.

Apollos

Do you ever answer questions ???????

Do you ever answer questions ???????

Freak –

WHAT was the water baptism of Jesus SYMBOLIC of ???

You refused to tell us. What did it symbolize ???? You showed me nothing and you proved nothing!!

Do we need to “fulfill all righteousness” today Freak ??

Do you have ANY passages to back up what you assume here ???

Plus you did NOT tell us the difference between Jesus’ water baptism and the water baptism a sinner receives. C’mon Freak and tell us what you believe and why.

Do you know?? Should sinners receive JOHN’s baptism today ??

As a matter of record, you did not answer ONE question I posed to you. Why do you come here to “discuss” (???) things ?? You never answer anything.

(Even Craig is trying to “learn” you something here !!)

Apollos

"In the name of Jesus Christ" means by His authority...

"In the name of Jesus Christ" means by His authority...

Craig –

Give us one scripture that says the water baptism performed at Pentecost was NEW.
Matthew 28:18f – Here Jesus authorized His baptism – the (water) baptism that was to be “in His name”. Example: Acts 2:38. This baptism was put into practice within 50 days at most of this authorization from Jesus to do so!
Also, explain the differences between the old and the new.
The old and new what ??
What OT scriptures foretold of your new water baptism that we may know it is true?
I don’t know that I have one. But if there is or isn’t an OT prophecy regarding the water baptism Jesus authorized in Matthew 28, does that negate that water baptism ?? Does it void the authority Jesus was given by God and the HS in heaven & earth? Does it change the fact that this water baptism was taught and practiced by the apostles and disciples ??

Freak

Apollos--

Water baptism is symbolic of His death, burial, and bodily resurrection. This act of baptism identifys us with HIM and this occurs after one expereinces the new birth.

Apollos

66 books to choose from...

66 books to choose from...

Freak -

What PASSAGE was that ???

You know, the one that tells us that water baptism is symbolic ???

...of anything.

And do tell us what Jesus' baptism was symbolic of as you mentioned earlier. I missed your answer on this one.

Hey.............thankx!!

(Do we really need to "fulfill all righteousness" today ???????)

JustAChristian

Understanding God's Works Vs. Man's Works.

Understanding God's Works Vs. Man's Works.

There are works that play a part in man’s salvation. The scriptures are too clear to deny it. Paul said to Titus, “[This is] a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men." (Titus 3:8). Why should we be careful to maintain good works if they have nothing to do with our salvation. “These things are good and profitable unto men” because they lead to our salvation. It is never counterproductive to obey God! Either there are conditions to salvation or there are none. If there are any conditions of salvation at all, then we must observe all that God has set forth as conditions. Why do we recognize faith to be a condition of salvation without recognizing repentance. If we recognize repentance, why not confession? And if any of these, then why not baptism? Indeed, baptism is stated to be a condition of entry into Christ and His kingdom several times as often as these other conditions.

The same reasoning applies to Ephesians 2:8-9: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Condemned are the works originated by man. The works of God which we do by faith are not of ourselves, they are of God. We cannot boast about keeping God's commandments and still keep them (this is an oxymoron). Again, when we read on we find that the very purpose of this admonition is to prompt us to walk in the works of God (Eph. 2:10): "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Man can not be saved by faith without accepting scriptural baptism. Any statement concerning salvation is conditioned on commands which originated in the mind of God. Scriptural baptism is a statement concerning salvation and is a commanded operation of God which originated in the mind of God; therefore among all statements concerning salvation is scriptural baptism and by virtue of originating from the mind of God, and not from the mind of man, is essential to our salvation in that a failure to comply with this simple act clearly demonstrates a lack of faith in His promises. Be baptized for the remission of sin for the is God’s duty for man (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38).

JustAChristian :angel:

Last edited:

HopeofGlory

Re: "In the name of Jesus Christ" means by His authority...

Re: "In the name of Jesus Christ" means by His authority...

Originally posted by Apollos
Craig –

Matthew 28:18f – Here Jesus authorized His baptism – the (water) baptism that was to be “in His name”. Example: Acts

Jesus is telling them that ALL the power to remit sins has been given unto Him. Before this men had the power or authority to remit sins in water baptism. So then the change that occurred is that Jesus received all power not a new water baptism. This relinquishing of power coincides with the apostles inability to perform miracles.

The Baptist and Jesus foretold of this relinquishing.

I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost...Mark 1:8

He must increase, but I must decrease (John 3:30) and... A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven (John 3:27).

Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. John 5:33
But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. John 5:34
He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light. John 5:35
But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. John 5:36

His baptism as you call it is...but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost...Mark 1:8

You have chosen to believe that Jesus' reference to baptism means in water but that is not what He said....For John truly baptized with water; but (on the contrary) ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. Acts 1:5

Yes, Jesus foretold of a new baptism but it was in the Spirit Not water.

Jesus instructed then to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost NOT in the name of Jesus. Not once did the apostles baptize as they were instructed, Why? Because the apostles did not have the power (authority) to do so.

Spirit baptism is an operation of God NOT men.

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.Col. 2:12

You Said:
"2:38. This baptism was put into practice within 50 days at most of this authorization from Jesus to do so!"

Not so! The baptism of repentance for the remission of sins is the same as the Baptist preached.

John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. Mark 1:4

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:38

The old and new what ??

Baptism :doh:

I don’t know that I have one. But if there is or isn’t an OT prophecy regarding the water baptism Jesus authorized in Matthew 28, does that negate that water baptism ??

Yes, it has a high probability of doing so.

Does it void the authority Jesus was given by God and the HS in heaven & earth?

Absolutly not! All power was given to Christ after His manifestation to Israel by the word.

Does it change the fact that this water baptism was taught and practiced by the apostles and disciples ??

The manifestation with power of Christ (the word) by men to Israel continued at Pentecost and that baptism began with John the Baptist.

And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

In Christ
Craig

Last edited:

HopeofGlory

Originally posted by Freak
I understand it was before the New Covenant but it still doesn't change the fact that is was symbolic. Jesus is God-He didn't need the baptism (for anything) but to show us we too need to identify symbolically with Him after justification has occured.

I agree that is was a sign. This sign manifested Jesus as the Christ. This sign was to unbelieving Israel. This teaching has nothing to do with the new testament.

The new testament is His shed blood for remission (Matt 26:28).

When Israel accepted that Jesus was the Messiah and obeyed in water baptism their sins were remitted. This OT teaching began with the Baptist before the cross.

Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Heb. 6:1 (KJV)
of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. Heb. 6:2 (KJV)

Paul said that the Jews require a sign but (on the contrary) we preach Christ crucified.

Futhermore Paul said that Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel.

We do not require a sign.

In Christ
Craig

JustAChristian

Listen To The Scriptures Talk...

Listen To The Scriptures Talk...

A thorough study of the New Testament will show countless hundreds of people, both Jews and Gentiles hearing and believing the Gospel. We see them repenting of sins, confessing Christ as the Son of God and being baptizing for salvation. We see them understanding the Gospel and knowing the difference between what is necessary for obedience and what is superficial. Let's watch this unfold in the following scriptures...

The people asked, “What shall we do?”

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The Gentiles are promised salvation...

Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
The difference is in how one accepts the Gospel...
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

The Samaritan believed the Gospel...

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Simon believed the Gospel and was saved...

Acts 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

The apostles came to Samaria to impart the Holy Spirit...

Acts 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John.
Acts 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Philip preached “Jesus” to the eunuch...

Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Paul was blind at Damascus and Ananias came and laid hand on him.

Acts 9:18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
Peter asked this rhetorical question...
Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Like Cornelius, we accept that Lydia was told to be baptized.

Acts 16:15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.
Acts 16:16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
Acts 16:17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
Acts 16:18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.
Acts 16:19 And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers,
Acts 16:20 And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,
Acts 16:21 And teach customs, which are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans.
Acts 16:22 And the multitude rose up together against them: and the magistrates rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat them.
Acts 16:23 And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely:
Acts 16:24 Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks.

Paul and Silas preach and sing praises in prison...

Acts 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
Acts 16:26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.
Acts 16:27 And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
Acts 16:28 But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.
Acts 16:29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,

The Jailor hears and wants to obey the Gospel...

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

You read the rest of the account beginning at verse 31. Read also the account of Acts 19:1-6. Read of Paul's baptism and why he was baptized in Acts 22:16. It is so facinating to learn the Word of God and how one can be saved., isn't it?

Have you obeyed the Gospel as the Samarians, Simon the sorcerer, the Ethopean eunuch, Lydia, and the Jailor? Have your sins been washed away? Discover what they did collectively and do the same!

JustAChristian:thumb:

Last edited:

Freak

Craig,

You said: When Israel accepted that Jesus was the Messiah and obeyed in water baptism their sins were remitted.

Huh? Coming to God was by faith in the Old Covenant as it is in the New Covenant. All one has to do is look at Genesis to see that Abraham was righteous because of his faith not because of his baptism. You are sadly mistaken, Craig, to think otherwise. Look at the Hall of Faith in Hebrews to see the saints of old who came to God by faith.

Then you go on: Futhermore Paul said that Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel.

But you forgot Paul did in fact baptize. But, as you noted correctly, water does not save it is merely a symbolic act that should be carried out after conversion to Christ through faith.

HopeofGlory

You said: When Israel accepted that Jesus was the Messiah and obeyed in water baptism their sins were remitted.

Huh? Coming to God was by faith in the Old Covenant as it is in the New Covenant.

It's always been by faith, Jay. They had faith that Jesus was the Son of God. Water baptism was a witness to their testimony.
They had faith in the kingdom message that the Baptist and the apostles preached.

John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. Mark 1:4

We have faith in His shed blood for remission not water baptism.

Hebrews tell us that... a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth. Heb. 9:17

The message of remission that men preached changed with Paul.
No where will you find Paul preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

All one has to do is look at Genesis to see that Abraham was righteous because of his faith not because of his baptism.

All men recieve righteousness by fath in what God reveals with His word. The message of a baptism of repentance was not reveal to Abraham.

You are sadly mistaken, Craig, to think otherwise. Look at the Hall of Faith in Hebrews to see the saints of old who came to God by faith.

I agree that it is by faith. Do you agree that the reveal word of God changed?

Then you go on: Futhermore Paul said that Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel.

Paul by the Spirit spoke these words and I have faith in them.

But you forgot Paul did in fact baptize. But, as you noted correctly, water does not save it is merely a symbolic act that should be carried out after conversion to Christ through faith.

I did not forget that fact. The new testament does not reveal that water baptism is a sign of what we believe. Water has never saved anyone and salvation has always been through faith in the revealed word of God.

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. Rom. 1:17
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Rom. 1:18

In Christ
Craig

Freak

Yes, salvation is by faith in Christ alone but let's not forget that after salvation ones needs to be baptized as a sacrament of the fellowship of the saints.

Apollos

Baptism by the authority of Jesus is in water & for the remission of sins!!

Baptism by the authority of Jesus is in water & for the remission of sins!!

Craig –

In reference to Matthew 28:18f you said…
Jesus is telling them that ALL the power to remit sins has been given unto Him.
I don’t which version you may be using but this is NOT what it says in any version I can find. If you continue to choose to READ INTO the passage, no one will ever reach you with the truth! The passage says that Jesus had been granted “ALL authority in heaven and on earth”. This is more – much more, than what you assert. Jesus had already shown and told the disciples He had power to forgive sins on earth. Ex: Luke 7:47.

Because Jesus was now given ALL authority as of Matthew 28, He could and did command a NEW BAPTISM !! This NEW baptism was a WATER baptism !!!

Before this men had the power or authority to remit sins in water baptism.
No way ! What passage do you think supports this ?? Please give it!
So then the change that occurred is that Jesus received all power not a new water baptism.
Huh??
This relinquishing of power coincides with the apostles inability to perform miracles.
Huh??
The Baptist and Jesus foretold of this relinquishing.
Huh?? You are making “blank” assumptions here Craig. These and your remark about Mark 1:8 have no merit, nevertheless any context or connection! As a matter of point, all those verses listed after this point in your post were “disconnected”… at best.

His baptism as you call it is...but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost...Mark 1:8
No it isn’t!
Baptism “in the name” (or by His authority) is WATER BAPTISM – Acst 10:47-48.
Baptism “in His name” is for the remission of sins – Acst 2:38.
Baptism “in His name” is NOT Spirit baptism – Acts 8:14-16.

Acts 1:5 was a promise ONLY to the APOSTLES.

When you read that the apostles or disciples baptized people “into the name of Jesus Christ”, they were water baptizing them into the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit because this is the baptism Jesus authorized for them to baptize people into.

As I previously said, this baptism was put into practice within 50 days at most! This water baptism authorization came from Jesus ! You said…
Not so! The baptism of repentance for the remission of sins is the same as the Baptist preached.
No it is not! John’s baptism was a baptism of REPENTANCE (Acts 19:4). John’s baptism - Luke 3:3 – “looked forward” (“unto”) the remission of sins. Luke 24:47 tells us that REMISSION of sins would BEGIN at Jerusalem. It did in Acts 2:38

Repent and be baptized every one of you IN THE NAME of Jesus Christ for the REMISSION OF SINS…”

Water baptism “into the F/S/HS” is the baptism authorized (in His name) by Jesus for His disciples to practice today!!!

Last edited:

JustAChristian

Wow!

Wow!

Yes, salvation is by faith in Christ alone but let's not forget that after salvation ones needs to be baptized as a sacrament of the fellowship of the saints.

Do you mean salvation alone would not put you in fellowship of the saints? How unusual. Hmm.

JustAChristian :angel:

Francisco

HopeofGlory,
The message of remission that men preached changed with Paul.
No where will you find Paul preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
I disagree.

Romans 6:
1 What then shall we say? Shall we persist in sin that grace may abound? Of course not!
2 How can we who died to sin yet live in it?
3 Or are you unaware that we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
4 We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life.
5 For if we have grown into union with him through a death like his, we shall also be united with him in the resurrection.
6 We know that our old self was crucified with him, so that our sinful body might be done away with, that we might no longer be in slavery to sin.
7 For a dead person has been absolved from sin.

Please explain what Paul is talking about here, if not baptism into the death of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin.

Francisco

HopepfGlory,
You have chosen to believe that Jesus' reference to baptism means in water but that is not what He said....For John truly baptized with water; but (on the contrary) ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. Acts 1:5

Yes, Jesus foretold of a new baptism but it was in the Spirit Not water.
So, was it Spirit baptism Jesus commanded the apostles to perform when He said:

'Go, therefore, 12 and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit,'

Was this 'Spirit baptism' Jesus commanded Hope? How could the apostles perform a Spirit baptism?