The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Using the same yardstick applied to this kid should abortion clinics insist on safe zones or the removal of all protestors considering the violence visited on such places over the years? After all, gotta play the odds and take no chances.

bybee

Using the same yardstick applied to this kid should abortion clinics insist on safe zones or the removal of all protestors considering the violence visited on such places over the years? After all, gotta play the odds and take no chances.

Bit of a stretch I'd say....

Granite

Hall of Fame
Bit of a stretch I'd say....

If we're using a history of religiously-inspired violence...not really.

If we hold a group of individuals at higher risk given their faith's cited motivation for destruction should we act pre-emptively to prevent such (potential) violence? Nip it in the bud and all that?

Put another way: What makes a clinic calling in a potential bomber, or shooter, so ridiculous should a group of protestors show up on the sidewalk? It's happened before, after all. Play the odds. Don't let it happen to you.

bybee

If we're using a history of religiously-inspired violence...not really.

If we hold a group of individuals at higher risk given their faith's cited motivation for destruction should we act pre-emptively to prevent such (potential) violence? Nip it in the bud and all that?

Put another way: What makes a clinic calling in a potential bomber, or shooter, so ridiculous should a group of protestors show up on the sidewalk? It's happened before, after all. Play the odds. Don't let it happen to you.

Does it apply to those who are shown burning their captives alive in cages? How about raping and beheading female prisoners? Or half burying prisoners and then stoning them to death? And what ever are we to do about children who strap bombs onto themselves and then bomb schools, markets, hospitals and so on?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Does it apply to those who are shown burning their captives alive in cages? How about raping and beheading female prisoners? Or half burying prisoners and then stoning them to death? And what ever are we to do about children who strap bombs onto themselves and then bomb schools, markets, hospitals and so on?

But we're not talking about a war zone where atrocities are celebrated publicly. We're talking about public schools and ways. Equating the two is ridiculous. And if you want to talk about ISIS, we'll keep talking passed each other.

I'm talking about the thinking that led a school to call the cops on a kid. There's only way reason they did: Because they automatically assumed his ethnicity and religion made him predisposed to terrorism.

Should this same kind of reaction apply to other religious groups in the United States with a track record of criminal behavior?

[Sidebar: You're implying that a connection can and even should be made between Middle Eastern terrorists and American teenagers by dint of one religion. If this thinking is to be followed a connection between domestic terrorism done in the name of the Christian God and presumed same-minded potential terrorists is even easier to make in the hypothetical example given of abortion protestors.]

bybee

But we're not talking about a war zone where atrocities are celebrated publicly. We're talking about public schools and ways. Equating the two is ridiculous. And if you want to talk about ISIS, we'll keep talking passed each other.

I'm talking about the thinking that led a school to call the cops on a kid. There's only way reason they did: Because they automatically assumed his ethnicity and religion made him predisposed to terrorism.

Should this same kind of reaction apply to other religious groups in the United States with a track record of criminal behavior?

[Sidebar: You're implying that a connection can and even should be made between Middle Eastern terrorists and American teenagers by dint of one religion. If this thinking is to be followed a connection between domestic terrorism done in the name of the Christian God and presumed same-minded potential terrorists is even easier to make in the hypothetical example given of abortion protestors.]

I am citing things that are happening now wherever Islamic terrorists choose to operate. The Muslim Doctor who opened fire on unarmed young recruits for instance. The Islamic terrorist who was subdued by three American citizens on a train in France. He was heavily armed and had he not been subdued hundreds of innocents would have died. We have every right to be suspicious based on daily episodes of hateful behavior.
This young boy wasn't harmed. He still has his head attached to his body. He hasn't been stoned or burned in a cage.
Had this happened in an Islamic theocracy the results would have been catastrophic.
Your intense dislike for America and Christianity is your business but I do not share your jaundiced views.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I am citing things that are happening now wherever Islamic terrorists choose to operate.

What you're doing is ignoring my post and trying to change the subject. Like I already said, if you're going to insist on talking about ISIS and the like, we're talking passed each other.

This young boy wasn't harmed.

Physically, no. He should count himself lucky.

If you want to actually address my previous post, feel free.

musterion

Now Byb, Granite has his priorities straight. There are Bible believers on the loose in this country!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the kid is really smart
but
not smart enough to know it looks like a bomb

even after the first teacher tells him not to show it to anyone
he plugs it in so it beeps during the next class

bybee

What you're doing is ignoring my post and trying to change the subject. Like I already said, if you're going to insist on talking about ISIS and the like, we're talking passed each other.

Physically, no. He should count himself lucky.

If you want to actually address my previous post, feel free.

The point is that because of the many terroristic activities engaged in by everyday Muslims in whatever countries they have adopted, suspicion is heightened in the face of even apparently innocuous activities. The student was not harmed.

bybee

the kid is really smart
but
not smart enough to know it looks like a bomb

even after the first teacher tells him not to show it to anyone
he plugs it in so it beeps during the next class

Indeed, the bigger picture here validates a modicum of safety first for all students and staff. A person of good will would understand that.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The point is that because of the many terroristic activities engaged in by everyday Muslims in whatever countries they have adopted, suspicion is heightened in the face of even apparently innocuous activities. The student was not harmed.

So you've made up your mind to ignore my post and not answer my questions. Well okay then.

No, he wasn't killed or tasered or beat up. Uh, you consider this noteworthy? The kid didn't do anything wrong, and you think it should be noted that the police didn't maim or kill him. That's the state of affairs in this country: The absence of police brutality is news?

You seem to be saying profiling is okay. But only for one religion.

Brother Vinny

Indeed, the bigger picture here validates a modicum of safety first for all students and staff. A person of good will would understand that.

Which explains why proper safety measures were taken, such as the evacuation of the school and the calling of the bomb squad.

Wait, what?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Now Byb, Granite has his priorities straight. There are Bible believers on the loose in this country!

If you noticed I was trying to see if she'd be consistent in her insistence that pre-emptive action and profiling was appropriate for more than one faith. That's a point both of you continue to ignore. I'd venture to say you'd agree calling in potential bombers should protestors arrive outside an abortion clinic is irresponsible and ridiculous for a multitude of reasons (the same kind of reasons calling the police on Mohamed was both stupid and clueless but also morally and personally outrageous). Yet you ignore the fact that this kid was singled out and profiled because of his ethnicity and religion--nothing more--and believe we should apply a selective standard when it comes to one minority in this country.

bybee

If you noticed I was trying to see if she'd be consistent in her insistence that pre-emptive action and profiling was appropriate for more than one faith. That's a point both of you continue to ignore. I'd venture to say you'd agree calling in potential bombers should protestors arrive outside an abortion clinic is irresponsible and ridiculous for a multitude of reasons (the same kind of reasons calling the police on Mohamed was both stupid and clueless but also morally and personally outrageous). Yet you ignore the fact that this kid was singled out and profiled because of his ethnicity and religion--nothing more--and believe we should apply a selective standard when it comes to one minority in this country.

Selective standards are earned.
This was hardly pre-emptive. The student presented with a device that was odd and he was told to not plug it in but he did it anyway.
We are speaking of reasonable behavior in the best interests of all of the students and staff, NOT, just the possible hurtey feelings of this one student.
You do spend a lot time being outraged....

Brother Vinny

It is worth noting that the Ahmed's big scary clock only "looks like a bomb" to those who have been inculcated by Hollywood's version of what explosive timers are supposed to look like. We've been trained to believe that a time-bomb will have an externally-visible interface counting down to the expected event, often played up for dramatic purposes so we're aware of just how much time is left or how closely our hero averted disaster.

In the real world, time bombs usually do not have sophisticated visual interfaces.