The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Sitamun

I didn't say that
you shouldn't have to take cheap shots
if
you have an argument

so do you have an argument?

do you think the kid is innocent?
do you think his parents were ignorant of what was going on?

answer those questions
and
please no more cheap shots

You accuse others of taking "cheap shots", yet you seem to think the only benchmark to listen to someone is if they have children? Is your irony meter broken.

Yes I think the kid is innocent. I have no idea as to how much his parents knew of his solo project before hand. I have seen no information as to whether they knew or not so I will NOT comment either way.

Do you have any proof as to the supposed guilt of anyone?

Granite

Hall of Fame

Ah yes, a conspiracy. A plot. (Funny, Richard Dawkins is saying the same thing on Twitter.) A test run in Texas, as opposed to an enclave in Connecticut or Michigan--large Muslim population already--yes, this makes perfect sense.:noid:

bybee

Ah yes, a conspiracy. A plot. (Funny, Richard Dawkins is saying the same thing on Twitter.) A test run in Texas, as opposed to an enclave in Connecticut or Michigan--large Muslim population already--yes, this makes perfect sense.:noid:

A test to see if he could make a viable clock?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the first teacher told him not to show it to others
and
in the very next class he plugged it in so it would beep

he knew what he was doing

Granite

Hall of Fame
...and had the kid not been a Muslim your tender sensibilities would have remained serene....

If the kid hadn't been profiled, this wouldn't be a story. The teachers and police involved here are a pack of half-witted buffoons. You don't seem to have a problem assuming the worst about people based on how they look or their religion. If you go around with that attitude be prepared for people to return the sentiment. What's sauce for the goose and all that.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You don't seem to have a problem assuming the worst about people based on how they look or their religion.

when someone brings to school
what looks like a bomb
you assume the worst
and
act accordingly
regardless of how they look

the parents owe everyone an apology
they should have known
they should not have let it happen
they should be on the watch list
I believe they were

bybee

If the kid hadn't been profiled, this wouldn't be a story. The teachers and police involved here are a pack of half-witted buffoons. You don't seem to have a problem assuming the worst about people based on how they look or their religion. If you go around with that attitude be prepared for people to return the sentiment. What's sauce for the goose and all that.

Says the armchair quarterback!
Your assumptions are very dark indeed, especially when dealing those whom you find wanting.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Says the armchair quarterback!
Your assumptions are very dark indeed, especially when dealing those whom you find wanting.

Bybee, give me a break. They knew he didn't have a bomb: The police have admitted as much. The school didn't think he had a bomb--they didn't bother evacuating the building. And yet they called the cops anyway. Do the math. They assumed the worst about this kid and kept fishing for something because of his name and how he looked.

Let me ask you another question (and hopefully you won't just ignore this one, too). Do you believe the school was correct in presuming the worst about this kid? And if so, specifically, why?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there is a lot of speculation as to what the school should or should not have done
but
where is the speculation as to what the parents knew or should have known
they should be investigated

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
when someone brings to school
what looks like a bomb
you assume the worst
and
act accordingly
regardless of how they look

the parents owe everyone an apology
they should have known
they should not have let it happen
they should be on the watch list
I believe they were

I find this highly interesting ...

There were two students who were expelled at the private, Christian school I use to work at for using a cell phone (from the classroom) to call in a bomb threat.

One boy. One girl. High school. White. Christians.

No bomb. It was a prank ... however, that didn't stop the bomb squad and police department from showing up.

The girl was a straight A student who had never been in any previous trouble at school.

Should they have been on a *watchlist* prior to making the prank call?