The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
only if their father's name
is
mohamed elhassen mohamed

just google it

Why would I play into your bigotry and foolishness? Your watchlist would leave off kids like the one's I mentioned (and their parents) ... and the Timothy McVeigh's of the world.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Bybee, give me a break. They knew he didn't have a bomb: The police have admitted as much. The school didn't think he had a bomb--they didn't bother evacuating the building. And yet they called the cops anyway. Do the math. They assumed the worst about this kid and kept fishing for something because of his name and how he looked.

Let me ask you another question (and hopefully you won't just ignore this one, too). Do you believe the school was correct in presuming the worst about this kid? And if so, specifically, why?

I seem to recall not so many months ago a kid got shot and killed by a cop when he was brandishing a toy gun. You'd think that kids would learn from this experience. And you'd think that even if the kids don't learn, their parents would.

Caledvwlch

I seem to recall not so many months ago a kid got shot and killed by a cop when he was brandishing a toy gun. You'd think that kids would learn from this experience. And you'd think that even if the kids don't learn, their parents would.

A kid with a toy gun gets shot and the lesson is that kids need to learn not to possess things that can be mistaken for other things?

bybee

Bybee, give me a break. They knew he didn't have a bomb: The police have admitted as much. The school didn't think he had a bomb--they didn't bother evacuating the building. And yet they called the cops anyway. Do the math. They assumed the worst about this kid and kept fishing for something because of his name and how he looked.

Let me ask you another question (and hopefully you won't just ignore this one, too). Do you believe the school was correct in presuming the worst about this kid? And if so, specifically, why?

First of all you engage in insulting rhetoric whenever you take umbrage at something. And, being me, I get all riled up in response!
Now, I do not think the school assumed the worst about this kid. I think, in today's political correctness insanity, they chose to take a stand on the side of making a statement, which I believe, was an overstatement. I believe they would have done this if the student had been any student.
I do not like to second guess the decisions made by those in authority trying to deal with a situation about which I know very little.
And thirdly! I give you all kinds of breaks!

Granite

Hall of Fame
I seem to recall not so many months ago a kid got shot and killed by a cop when he was brandishing a toy gun.

Actually, no. He didn't have anything in his hands when he was murdered by a Cleveland police officer. Thanks for playing.

You'd think that kids would learn from this experience.

Because as we know eleven-year-olds being murdered in Cleveland should not only be taken for granted as the way things are; we should expect teenagers thousands of miles away to note such atrocities and assume the cops will likely try to murder them too if ever given an excuse.

All due respect, what the hell is wrong with you?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

once there was a judge who actually held the parents responsible for whatever their kids did

Granite

Hall of Fame
Now, I do not think the school assumed the worst about this kid. I think, in today's political correctness insanity, they chose to take a stand on the side of making a statement, which I believe, was an overstatement.

Excuse me, but what? You think the decision to unnecessarily call the police (and waste their time) was done because a school in Texas chose to be politically correct? Wouldn't the politically correct decision have been not to call the cops?

At this point you just keep on dodging questions so I don't believe you're interested in much of a discussion.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A kid with a toy gun gets shot and the lesson is that kids need to learn not to possess things that can be mistaken for other things?

Actually, no. He didn't have anything in his hands when he was murdered by a Cleveland police officer. Thanks for playing.

Because as we know eleven-year-olds being murdered in Cleveland should not only be taken for granted as the way things are; we should expect teenagers thousands of miles away to note such atrocities and assume the cops will likely try to murder them too if ever given an excuse.

All due respect, what the hell is wrong with you?

The issue is not what is wrong with me. It is what goes on in your American society? I told you before that your love of guns and violence has consequences that you must learn to live with. In my society it would not have been an issue because neither guns nor violence in general are seen as acceptable norms. And as I said before, I am not criticising you. You make your choice and you live with it. Here, I guess that the boy would have been given a ticking off by the teacher and that would be the end of the matter.

Caledvwlch

The issue is not what is wrong with me. It is what goes on in your American society? I told you before that your love of guns and violence has consequences that you must learn to live with. In my society it would not have been an issue because neither guns nor violence in general are seen as acceptable norms. And as I said before, I am not criticising you. You make your choice and you live with it. Here, I guess that the boy would have been given a ticking off by the teacher and that would be the end of the matter.

Unexpectedly refreshing that you call out America's love of guns. Right on.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Then we actually agree. But I'm not sure who this post is directed towards: I've criticized the American gun culture (gulture?) and love affair with firearms many times on TOL. As a gun owner, I'm usually disgusted by those who profess to speak for all of us on Second Amendment matters. And I've been equally vocal here (I hope) when it comes to police brutality run amok in this country.

Last edited:

bybee

Then we actually agree. But I'm not sure who this post is directed towards: I've criticized the American gun culture (gulture?) and love affair with firearms many times on TOL. As a gun owner, I'm usually disgusted by those who profess to speak for all of us on Second Amendment matters. And I've been equally vocal here (I hope) when it comes to police brutality run amok in this country.

Guns as culture are disturbing. Guns for self-preservation make sense. I am not a hunter person but do not presume to judge hunters.
Police brutality must not be allowed to occur unchallenged.
Just as thuggery, rape, assault and murder must not be allowed to occur unchallenged.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Well, let me clarify. Here, I believe the boy would have been given a ticking off. But the incident both would and should have been reported to the headmaster because it is necessary for the sake of the safety of the pupils and of common sense to check out if there was a risk. Perhaps I wouldn't describe the reaction involving the police in the actual incident as unfortunate because it is not a judgeable issue. It is simply what you get in your own society. It is neither fortunate nor unfortunate. But I don't see how you can really blame the police. They acted in keeping with the expectations of your society. In my humble view.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, let me clarify. Here, I believe the boy would have been given a ticking off. But the incident both would and should have been reported to the headmaster because it is necessary for the sake of the safety of the pupils and of common sense to check out if there was a risk. Perhaps I wouldn't describe the reaction involving the police in the actual incident as unfortunate because it is not a judgeable issue. It is simply what you get in your own society. It is neither fortunate nor unfortunate. But I don't see how you can really blame the police. They acted in keeping with the expectations of your society. In my humble view.

A talking to--not even a stern one--might have been called for, although I tend to disagree. It should've taken anyone with a pulse two shakes to realize nothing was amiss.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
there is a lot of speculation as to what the school should or should not have done
You mean argument. Speculation would be over something unknown, like what they did or didn't do if we weren't privy to the facts.

but where is the speculation as to what the parents knew or should have known...they should be investigated
Absolutely. You find a clock in a school you need to get to the bottom of it, how it's possible, what it might portend. I mean, one day you have a kid with a homemade clock and you do nothing, well, next week that same kid is going to show up with a Glock for show-and-tell-everyone-jihad-is-here, right? :plain:

Where was I? Oh, yeah, knee deep in this topic and trying not to get woozy.

rexlunae

I don't think anyone has suggested it was wrong for the school administration to determine if there was a threat from the clock. What I think is inappropriate is essentially everything that they did after that.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You find a clock in a school you need to get to the bottom of it,

I don't think anyone has suggested it was wrong for the school administration to determine if there was a threat from the clock.

it didn't look like a clock
you don't hide a clock in a briefcase
you are not supposed to bring certain things to school
nothing that would go beep and cause a distraction
the first teacher told him not to show others
but
he plugged it in
so
it would go beep in the very next class
can we bring this up again
when jack is old enough to go to school

Sitamun

it didn't look like a clock
you don't hide a clock in a briefcase
you are not supposed to bring certain things to school
nothing that would go beep and cause a distraction
the first teacher told him not to show others
but
he plugged it in
so
it would go beep in the very next class
can we bring this up again
when jack is old enough to go to school

So you've moved the goal posts eh? Now just being a parent isn't good enough, now it's school aged, what next, must be a parent of a teen? A teen that lives in Texas? Where will it stop?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So you've moved the goal posts eh? Now just being a parent isn't good enough, now it's school aged, what next, must be a parent of a teen? A teen that lives in Texas? Where will it stop?

I see you are confused
sorry if I am going too fast for you
you may have to go to texas
if
you need a job
but
don't go there
if
you want your son to bring a bomb to school