The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Sitamun

Keep in mind.... we are talking about government run schools. They are not that bright.

But even still... I'm glad the teacher took some action. If my kid was in that class I would be thankful.

Knight, I haven't seen anyone criticizing the teacher for their suspicion. It is the actions that happened later that are at issue. Every single school has protocols in place for "what if" scenerios (bomb threats, shootings). Every single school plan that I know personally involves evacuating the kids from the school. That is the issue. The school says it followed procedure, but skipped a vital step, removing the kids from the potential harm

Granite

Hall of Fame
Knight, I haven't seen anyone criticizing the teacher for their suspicion. It is the actions that happened later that are at issue. Every single school has protocols in place for "what if" scenerios (bomb threats, shootings). Every single school plan that I know personally involves evacuating the kids from the school. That is the issue. The school says it followed procedure, but skipped a vital step, removing the kids from the potential harm

The police are also completely at fault for not letting the situation go once they determined there was no threat or trouble. Lots of ego and face-saving going around.

Sitamun

The police are also completely at fault for not letting the situation go once they determined there was no threat or trouble. Lots of ego and face-saving going around.

I agree completely. If the school wasn't evacuated that means that somewhere between the step to notify the authorities and the step to evacuate the school, school officials realized it was in fact a clock.

What we don't know is just how the school interacted with the police once they got there. We just don't know, or I don't remember reading anything about it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Borrowed this from another thread, do tell what exactly is different between them and how you believe an english teacher, should know the difference - explain in detail and show us the explosives in the picture with an actual bomb.

attachment.php

Anyone?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is worth noting that the Ahmed's big scary clock only "looks like a bomb" to those who have been inculcated by Hollywood's version of what explosive timers are supposed to look like. We've been trained to believe that a time-bomb will have an externally-visible interface counting down to the expected event, often played up for dramatic purposes so we're aware of just how much time is left or how closely our hero averted disaster.

In the real world, time bombs usually do not have sophisticated visual interfaces.
Really?

Ahmed's clock on the left. Actual suitcase bomb on the right. Now you tell me... your kids are at school and some other kid brings this into class. Are you willing to trust it's just a clock?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I agree completely. If the school wasn't evacuated that means that somewhere between the step to notify the authorities and the step to evacuate the school, school officials realized it was in fact a clock.

What we don't know is just how the school interacted with the police once they got there. We just don't know, or I don't remember reading anything about it.

It's reasonable to believe the school didn't ever think it was a bomb in the first place. The cops didn't show up hot, as it were--the bomb squad wasn't even notified. No one in a position of authority took the threat of a "bomb" as serious, and recognized there was no actual threat in the first place.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a-bomb-but-arrested-him-anyway-10507254.html

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Keep in mind.... we are talking about government run schools. They are not that bright.

But even still... I'm glad the teacher took some action. If my kid was in that class I would be thankful.

Oh, I don't fault the teacher for taking action. My issue is more with the priority of her actions.

Number one priority should have been to get all of those children off the premises until the bomb squad determined there was no danger.

Sitamun

Given that there is no idea to gauge the size of the second "container" where there is with the first, I can't tell you. I will tell you that there seems to be a more sophisticated (or basic organization) to the wiring in the second that is missing in the first. It also appears that the circuit board in the second case is much larger than the first one. You also can't see the bottom of the second case that may conceal something that the first case doesn't. There also doesn't seem to be an outward facing display on the second device.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Given that there is no idea to gauge the size of the second "container" where there is with the first, I can't tell you. I will tell you that there seems to be a more sophisticated (or basic organization) to the wiring in the second that is missing in the first. It also appears that the circuit board in the second case is much larger than the first one. You also can't see the bottom of the second case that may conceal something that the first case doesn't. There also doesn't seem to be an outward facing display on the second device.

Waiting for the explanation on how an english teacher, should or could know the difference between the 2, you cant identify explosives in a real one yourself.

Id rather some kid gets his feelings hurt than my kid be blown to bits, any day of the week.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Okay, I agree government schools are asinine. No argument here.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Im sure those in irving might be a little jumpy still from this Islamic 'honor' killing there where a father shot his 2 daughters to death at an irving hotel also:

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article3868496.html

Authorities believe that Said took his daughters for a ride in his taxi on Jan. 1, 2008, under the guise of taking them to get something to eat. He pulled into the parking lot of the Omni Mandalay Hotel in Las Colinas and shot his two daughters, police have said.

Sarah managed to make a 911 cellphone call, alerting Irving police to the shootings, but she was unable to tell police her location.

During the call, she can be heard repeatedly telling the operator that she was dying.

“Help!” Sarah said in the call. “My dad shot me.”

Officers were dispatched to the area of O’Connor Boulevard and Riverside Drive, but they couldn’t find the girls.

An hour later, a witness reported seeing a suspicious taxi in the Omni parking lot in the 200 block of E. Las Colinas Boulevard.

Police found Amina’s body hunched over in the passenger seat; Sarah was found in the back seat. Both had been shot multiple times.

That devil is still on the run. Coward.

Sitamun

Waiting for the explanation on how an english teacher, should or could know the difference between the 2, you cant identify explosives in a real one yourself.

Id rather some kid gets his feelings hurt than my kid be blown to bits, any day of the week.

Quote me saying that the teacher reporting it as suspicious was the wrong thing to do.

However, after the teacher reported it, the school decided it wasn't a bomb, thus they didn't evacuate the school, the cops didn't bring a bomb squad, etc.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Quote me saying that the teacher reporting it as suspicious was the wrong thing to do.

Great, you got the point even though i never claimed you said anything like it, you chose to take my challenge, not the other way around, yet didnt answer that part of it.

However, after the teacher reported it, the school decided it wasn't a bomb, thus they didn't evacuate the school, the cops didn't bring a bomb squad, etc.

How do you know in the meantime, that the engineer teacher who had examined it first, who told that kid not to show it to anyone else because of what it resembled, didn't intervene before that happened, but after the police were called?

You dont know what happened anymore than i do, the parents of that kid are making sure you dont know.

Quetzal

I'm glad they erred on the side of caution. This kid never should hav brought this to school in the first place without prior permission.
While I do agree to point, let me ask you (and everyone else for that matter), do you think he should have been detained like he was? What would you have done differently (if anything)?