The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

musterion

While I do agree to point, let me ask you (and everyone else for that matter), do you think he should have been detained like he was? What would you have done differently (if anything)?

A littler kid was taken to the office for biting a pop tart into something a hysterical lib said resembled a gun. Others for bringing obviously toy weapons. Boils down to school/BOE policy. Not defending it, just reporting it cuz it renders your question moot.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
While I do agree to point, let me ask you (and everyone else for that matter), do you think he should have been detained like he was?
yes, bomb hoaxes are against the law too, and if you mean what happened by the school, yes also, he violated school policy, and another teacher told him not to show it to anyone else and he kept on doing it.

What would you have done differently (if anything)?

Wont be able to answer that, untill if and when we know the full facts, the parents are making it so no one can say stating their son is a minor, so we dont get to hear the other side.

bybee

While I do agree to point, let me ask you (and everyone else for that matter), do you think he should have been detained like he was? What would you have done differently (if anything)?

If we didn't live in a rabidly politically correct world wherein the slightest off sides word or deed is dissected, resected and severely castigated by any number of arm chair quarterbacks this would be a minor incident handled by the principal with minor punishment incurred.

WizardofOz

How about a suitcase bomb? Find a pic of one of those...
Spoiler

Suitcase.jpg

Quetzal

If we didn't live in a rabidly politically correct world wherein the slightest off sides word or deed is dissected, resected and severely castigated by any number of arm chair quarterbacks this would be a minor incident handled by the principal with minor punishment incurred.
Media certainly didn't help.

Quetzal

yes, bomb hoaxes are against the law too
Hmm, but what it an intentional bomb hoax? I mean, we may never know his "true intentions". In fact, I know Knight linked to an article talking about that.

Wont be able to answer that, untill if and when we know the full facts, the parents are making it so no one can say stating their son is a minor, so we dont get to hear the other side.
Is there still a gag order on the school staff?

fool

Hall of Fame
I'm glad they erred on the side of caution. This kid never should hav brought this to school in the first place without prior permission.

But they didn't.
They treated it like a clock not a bomb so they're wrong both ways.
As wrong as they could possibly get.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK, then, why didn't they call the bomb squad?

Schools boot people out for wearing nonconformist T-shirts. This school probably figured the device was something benign and acted according to such a policy, which always gets you in trouble when the lawmakers figure out that their regulations have been used in a way they figure they can make a political buck out of.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Ha! The latest is that he didn't build the clock at all but took apart a ancient Radio Shack clock and used the innerds.