The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Son, we live in a world that has Muslim kids, and those Muslim kids (and their parents and maybe their friends and their friends' parents) have to be watched by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant chrysberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for 14 year old Muslims and you curse the morons who cuffed him. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that this kid's science project, while tragic to look at, probably scared teachers. And the protocol that blew this bomb hoax up, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves time!

We don't want the truth, because deep down in places we don't talk about at parties, we want them against the wall. We need them against that wall. We use words like "Western values", "terrorism", and "recess". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending ourselves against threats, real and imaginary. You use a dictionary. I have neither the time nor the inclination to defend the indefensible without a press conference to people who rose and slept under the blanket of the very freedom I'm willing to trade for the appearance of vigilance and then question the method in which I dismantle it! I would rather you just said "thank you", or something that sounds like thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you hire a lawyer and file a brief. Either way, I'm going to turn this into something about entitlements!...and maybe the President. :plain:

:rotfl: :bow: :chuckle: :thumb:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
only a lawyer could understand why mohamed elhassan mohamed is preventing the teachers and police from telling their side of the story
but
we can be sure they won't be sued
they would be able to tell their story

only a lawyer could understand this

Granite

Hall of Fame
Ya! And just think, the kid got an invitation to the white house because of his heroism and I hear he's being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize!

If it sticks in the craw of the xenophobes and foaming bigots who were asking when we can round up Muslims and "get rid of them," as just recently happened in my state, I say: GOOD.

This Charming Manc

pop tarts yes, squirt guns depends on context, in gang related situations where real guns get painted like squirt guns they may be problematical, but generally yes, id agree with you.

Would you all agree that a squirt gun or a Pop-Tart in the shape of a gun is easy to identify as non-threatening?

bybee

If it sticks in the craw of the xenophobes and foaming bigots who were asking when we can round up Muslims and "get rid of them," as just recently happened in my state, I say: GOOD.

But of course the fulminating liberals didn't have a word of praise for the kid who ate a pop tart into the shape of a toy gun and got the book thrown at him?

Caledvwlch

But of course the fulminating liberals didn't have a word of praise for the kid who ate a pop tart into the shape of a toy gun and got the book thrown at him?

Where is that thread? Because this fulminating liberal would have defended him. Although, making an electronic clock (even with instructions from a kit) is a little more impressive than eating half of a Poptart and going "pew! pew!"

Quetzal

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I love my Pop Tarts. I was genuinely afraid is too much bad press came about, it would reflect on the Pop Tarts and Kellogg's would pull them from the shelves. Couldn't have that, now could we?

bybee

No way! You know, when you get an invitation you can check the box to bring a friend, your "+1"!

Okay then. But, but, but, which of my inventions shall I bring? My giant paper clip with attached rubber binders to fix a leaky toilet might qualify?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
only a lawyer could understand why mohamed elhassan mohamed is preventing the teachers and police from telling their side of the story
but
we can be sure they won't be sued
they would be able to tell their story

only a lawyer could understand this

don't you wonder why mohamed elhassan mohamed is preventing the teachers and police from telling their side of the story?

This Charming Manc

No not really

If my 14 year old son had been arrested wrongly by the police and I had legal rights to restrict what they would say id use them.

I do wonder why you keep repeating the same questions though

don't you wonder why mohamed elhassan mohamed is preventing the teachers and police from telling their side of the story?