The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

bybee

The kid brought a clock in to school.

They looked at him, decided he didn't look "normal," and called the cops. Who then proceeded to arrest him even though they admitted they knew he didn't have a bomb.

The bureaucrats involved in this debacle were trying to save face rather than do the right thing.

I thought a lot of TOLers hated "big government" when it intruded on our lives and bullied the little guy. In this case, a kid.

Or another way to see this: In our crazed politically correct society no matter what people in authority try to do they are bullies? If they under-react they are stupid, if they over react (as I agree they did in this case) then they are bullies.
All it takes in most cases is a return to good manners and the gracious willingness to acknowledge, yes a mistake has been made, an over reaction has occurred, an apology has been given and then move on!
We continually punish each other over things that could be resolved wherein we try to let each other save, at least a little, face.

This incident is not the end of the world.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Or another way to see this: In our crazed politically correct society no matter what people in authority try to do they are bullies? If they under-react they are stupid, if they over react (as I agree they did in this case) then they are bullies.
All it takes in most cases is a return to good manners and the gracious willingness to acknowledge, yes a mistake has been made, an over reaction has occurred, an apology has been given and then move on!
We continually punish each other over things that could be resolved wherein we try to let each other save, at least a little, face.

This incident is not the end of the world.

I don't think anyone's asking for anything more. And that I'm aware of, the family's not asking for much else either--the kid's already going to another school.

Jose Fly

So in sum, the fundamentalist viewpoint here seems to be that since the kid is a Muslim, and his parents are Muslim, they deserve whatever treatment they get from the authorities (and apparently should be grateful for it).

IOW, they want the government to target the religious. Well, let's keep that in mind the next time the government turns its attention to a Christian.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So in sum, the fundamentalist viewpoint here seems to be that since the kid is a Muslim, and his parents are Muslim, they deserve whatever treatment they get from the authorities (and apparently should be grateful for it).

IOW, they want the government to target the religious. Well, let's keep that in mind the next time the government turns its attention to a Christian.

they already have
they want us to pay for abortion
they want us to accept same sex marriage
and
you want muslims to be able to bring something that looks like a bomb to school

I get it

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So? Activism is legal, even in Texas.

Even if that were true, why play along with it? The fact of the matter is, no one actually thought it was a bomb. Everyone knew that there was no actual threat.

do you have any children?

I doubt it

we do and we don't want a muslim bringing something that looks like a bomb to school

trust me

rexlunae

do you have any children?

I doubt it

Because if I don't have children, I'm ok with kids getting blown up?

we do and we don't want a muslim bringing something that looks like a bomb to school

Or anyone else, for that matter.

And, again, no one thought this thing looked like a bomb. The school authorities decided that he had tried to make it look like a bomb, despite a complete lack of evidence for that notion.

Jose Fly

So? Activism is legal, even in Texas

We're seeing exactly what the Christian theocrats really want. They're all for freedom of religion and freedom of expression, but only for Christians (and I'm sure if pressed, they would admit only for the "right kind" of Christians).

That's why we can't let these people get any sort of political power.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Because if I don't have children, I'm ok with kids getting blown up?

Or anyone else, for that matter.

And, again, no one thought this thing looked like a bomb. The school authorities decided that he had tried to make it look like a bomb, despite a complete lack of evidence for that notion.

let's see
you don't have children
you are an atheist
and
you hate all religions
except islam
never mind

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
We're seeing exactly what the Christian theocrats really want. They're all for freedom of religion and freedom of expression, but only for Christians (and I'm sure if pressed, they would admit only for the "right kind" of Christians).

don't forget catholics are not christian
but
they are not protected like muslims

rexlunae

let's see
you don't have children
you are an atheist

There was never any threat to any of the other children in this school. No one ever thought this was a bomb. The only child who came under threat was Ahmed Mohamed. School authorities looked at him, and they didn't see a young man who is placed under their care and instruction, but a potential terrorist, not worthy of the same care. They were willing to place him at risk rather than engage the thinking portions of their brains. There could be few things more dehumanizing.

None of these people deserve to call themselves teachers.

and
you hate all religions
except islam
never mind

I don't like any religion, including Islam. But I don't want to see children racially profiled and mistreated.

Jose Fly

"In Texas a high school student was arrested for bringing what authorities thought was a bomb to school, but turned out to be a clock. Now the kid is in bigger trouble for carrying a device that could bring Texas into the future."
---Conan O'Brien

:rotfl:

bybee

We? Who is we?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
There was never any threat to any of the other children in this school. No one ever thought this was a bomb. The only child who came under threat was Ahmed Mohamed. School authorities looked at him, and they didn't see a young man who is placed under their care and instruction, but a potential terrorist, not worthy of the same care. They were willing to place him at risk rather than engage the thinking portions of their brains. There could be few things more dehumanizing.

None of these people deserve to call themselves teachers.

I don't like any religion, including Islam. But I don't want to see children racially profiled and mistreated.

so don't go to texas
unless
you need a job