The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No, that's not what law-types, by which you must mean people with a doctorate level education in the law and years of practice, call "discovery". Discovery is part of a legal process during proceedings.

Right. Because the only public face put on the boy before they did that was of a kid in handcuffs. That's what you do to reform an inappropriate image.

No. Again, why should the parents sign a paper allowing the school to release a version dedicated to making the school look better when that would almost certainly involve making their son look worse? And not because he is, but because they'd be free to spin it that way and it's in their best interest.

So this optimistic notion musterion has about the truth being the center of this is just not how it works.

The truth is the kid was handcuffed and arrested. The truth is that the police issued a statement I published here earlier saying there wasn't sufficient reason to charge or admonish the kid from their perspective. The rest is public relations. And if the kid's parent's lawyer said anything but no to those who have nothing to gain by doing anything other than casting doubt on the child then that lawyer should be disbarred.

You dont seem to like both sides being heard, and let others decide. '
Its real easy to say anything you want when you can gag the other person.

Not so easy when you can be shown wrong. Its dishonest.

The gag thing reeks of dishonesty to me, so thats my decision.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The truth is the kid was handcuffed and arrested. The truth is that the police issued a statement I published here earlier saying there wasn't sufficient reason to charge or admonish the kid from their perspective. The rest is public relations. And if the kid's parent's lawyer said anything but no to those who have nothing to gain by doing anything other than casting doubt on the child then that lawyer should be disbarred.

the truth is his father
Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed
should have known about this

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You dont seem to like both sides being heard, and let others decide. '
No idea why you'd think that, but it doesn't frame what I wrote.

Its real easy to say anything you want when you can gag the other person.
It's real easy to do a lot of things, like handcuff a kid with a clock. A clock, not a bomb or a gun or a knife. A kid showing that clock off, not running through the halls declaring jihad or secreting it in a locker or outside the principle's office while glancing furtively about.

But, again, the police who did the investigating and cuffing issued a pretty clear statement about the kid and what they did.

Want to talk about what it said?

Not so easy when you can be shown wrong. Its dishonest.
But there's nothing dishonest about what the parents are doing. Not one demonstrable thing.

The gag thing reeks of dishonesty to me,
That's never why one of those is issued though... Because a judge thinks dishonesty is the solution to a problem of honest rendering. And I've literally given you a pretty particular answer on why the parents shouldn't sign off on lifting it.

Anyone suggesting it has to be about dishonesty is just honestly mistaken.

so thats my decision.
Okay.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
After these scam artists get a few million from the Texas school district I wonder how many more "clocks" are going to start showing up at public schools?

Hopefully many more....It may drive some nails into the coffins of the "ZeroTolerance - OMG - TraumaTrigger" whiners.

....or not.

In either case I get my amusement. :)

picture.php

musterion

Someday, if my daughter takes the guts from an old transistor radio and glues them into a cardboard box, I will post video of the new radio and dare ANY of you to tell me she didn't invent a new radio. If you do so, I know a lawyer who I'll hire to sue you for defamation and racism.

Quetzal

Someday, if my daughter takes the guts from an old transistor radio and glues them into a cardboard box, I will post video of the new radio and dare ANY of you to tell me she didn't invent a new radio. If you do so, I know a lawyer who I'll hire to sue you for defamation and racism.
:kookoo:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Can you even spell rational? :plain: Because that's about as far removed from the reasonable truth of anything as you can get without requiring a map to make your way back on any real particular of the conversation. I'm beginning to suspect you could illustrate the Chinese Whispers game/effect in a monologue.

PureX

Can you even spell rational? :plain: Because that's about as far removed from the reasonable truth of anything as you can get without requiring a map to make your way back on any real particular of the conversation.
It is truly mind-boggling to me, the degree to which some people will go to maintain their own imagined self-righteousness. Slandering some unknown schoolboy? Heck yeah! As long as he's a Muslim and I can make him look inferior!

Sheesh!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Do you have a point you wish to make, counselor?
I made it. You were...I'm not sure what you were doing with the video bit, but you appeared to be pointedly misrepresenting my part in our recent conversation. Either that or you'd suddenly decided to speak about another lawyer doing something daft, but given our conversation and the inference someone might have drawn it seemed appropriate to at least meet it with an, "If he's talking about me he's off the map" response.

:e4e:

bybee

I made it. You were...I'm not sure what you were doing with the video bit, but you appeared to be pointedly misrepresenting my part in our recent conversation. Either that or you'd suddenly decided to speak about another lawyer doing something daft, but given our conversation and the inference someone might have drawn it seemed appropriate to at least meet it with an, "If he's talking about me he's off the map" response.

:e4e:

Amen Brother! I think the one behavior exhibited here on TOL that I find most disturbing is "deliberate" misrepresentation of another person's post.
Otherwise, I love a lively debate!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So do you charge by the hour?
I tended to, outside of simple wills and deeds. Most lawyers charge an hourly rate, unless they're charging a percentage for some sort of serious injury recovery. But that wasn't an area that interested me.

Are you saying your comment about defamation/racism was the result of a serious injury? :eek:

Just trying to plan ahead.
Admirable, but I don't provide the service that the comment you made requires. The people who do will tend to charge an hourly rate though. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
the truth is his father
Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed
should have known about this
Maybe. It depends on who around here you believe. If he just threw this thing together overnight then no. If he worked on it and gathered bits for it then yes. That's something you should notice.

More to the point, you'd think he'd be around to see his kid off to school and if he was would have been curious about the little case and what his son was doing with it...of course, for all I know he was and junior said, "It's for a science project" and that was the end of it.

Are you saying your comment about defamation/racism was the result of a serious injury? :eek:

It will be, if I find a favorable jury.
That's a neat trick (either).

But that'll be your job. ;)
:think: I might make an exception, provided a helmet was worn. :eek:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Maybe. It depends on who around here you believe. If he just threw this thing together overnight then no. If he worked on it and gathered bits for it then yes. That's something you should notice.

More to the point, you'd think he'd be around to see his kid off to school and if he was would have been curious about the little case and what his son was doing with it...of course, for all I know he was and junior said, "It's for a science project" and that was the end of it.

it was not a science project
why are you deliberately misrepresenting what happened?
can you point to anything is the news that suggested this?
no
so why are you suggesting this?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
it was not a science project
I didn't say it was. I said he might have said it was, might have thought about it that way. Who knows?

why are you deliberately misrepresenting what happened?
That's you actually asking you the question about what you just did, because I didn't if you can read and you did if anyone else can, just then. :rolleyes:

can you point to anything is the news that suggested this?
No and I didn't try to, just met assumption with speculation that was a bit more broad, as someone who can reasonably cobble a potential answer to the point. Could also be the father wasn't present when the boy went off to school. Any number of explanations for why dad wouldn't have known or how he could have known.

no
so why are you suggesting this?
Because you made a statement you don't know to be true as though it was and I responded with a broader examination.

Now if dad saw junior leaving with the case he should have been concerned and stopped him, at least had a serious conversation about what some knee-jerk response to it could be and then, absent an answer to satisfy on the point have kept the thing home.

But it's all just speculation, including yours.

Also, because it's a forum and that's what we do here. :plain: