The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The teachers who called the cops and the cops who refused to let Ahmed go after they realized he hadn't done anything.
It's my understanding the cops wanted to let him go too quickly.

The family however wanted Amhed to stay in handcuffs a bit longer so they could get the pictures they were looking for to post on social media.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay.... that's fine. You are more of a risk taker than me. Keep in mind the first few teachers who saw it said... "You shouldn't show this thing to anyone else".
If he actually thought it looked dangerous he would have called the cops himself, in fact should have called the cops, but aparently he could tell it wasn't dangerous but thought stupid teachers might think it looked suspicious.

Yet that didn't deter Amhed.... he kept showing it to other teachers and having it "beep" in the middle of class until he got the reaction he was looking for.
That or didn't realize the alarm was on. It is possible he was trying to get a rise out of people, but that was not my take on it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's my understanding the cops wanted to let him go too quickly.

The family however wanted Amhed to stay in handcuffs a bit longer so they could get the pictures they were looking for to post on social media.

If I had a family member unjustly arrested I'd plaster that all over the planet too.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That or didn't realize the alarm was on. It is possible he was trying to get a rise out of people, but that was not my take on it.
Even knowing now that his dad is a Islamic activist and that his sister was suspended three years ago for a bomb thread in the same school district?

How much have you looked into this case Delmar?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I chalk this up to more incompetence on the Keystone Kops's part.
That's an irresponsible statement.

You have no idea of what is protocol for police officers. Nor do we have the full story from the cops nor the school thanks to Amheds family keeping the gag order on the details.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's an irresponsible statement.

You have no idea of what is protocol for police officers. Nor do we have the full story from the cops nor the school thanks to Amheds family keeping the gag order on the details.

Asking politely to let a family member remain in handcuffs isn't part of their playbook, Knight. How do you honestly think a cop would respond if you put that question to him if a family member of yours was cuffed? If memory serves they're not big fans of cell phones or citizens documenting what they do.

If they'd prevented any of this from happening in the first place by not arresting Ahmed they wouldn't look out of their depth.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Asking politely to let a family member remain in handcuffs isn't part of their playbook, Knight. How do you honestly think a cop would respond if you put that question to him if a family member of yours was cuffed? If memory serves they're not big fans of cell phones or citizens documenting what they do.

If they'd prevented any of this from happening in the first place by not arresting Ahmed they wouldn't look out of their depth.
Maybe so.... but until the family signs the document to lift the gag order the cops and school can't tell their side of the story.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Even knowing now that his dad is a Islamic activist
Sounds ominous, but activist in what sense? He defended the Quran when Pastor Jones called for someone to in his mock trial. When the Pastor set the Quran on fire he left and took his family to Disney World. He's activist in the sense that an evangelical Christian, or apologist could be said to be activist. He's not on anyone's terror suspect list that I can find. He's a Sufi, which means in terms of Islam he's on the historically more progressive and tolerant branch, the one that had Time Magazine opining, Can Sufism Defuse Terrorism?.

Some right wing smoke raiser decided that made him an activist and the copy-fest, talking points nonsense was on. Can "radical activist" be far behind? :rolleyes:

and that his sister was suspended three years ago for a bomb thread in the same school district?
“I got suspended from school for three days from this stupid same district, from this girl saying I wanted to blow up the school, something I had nothing to do with.” She went on to say, “my first year of attempting middle school in America. I knew English, but the culture was different, the people were different.”

I wonder if that wasn't part of the reason for someone hitting the needless panic button here, like the English teacher.

Ultimately, Police Chief Boyd said there was, “no evidence to support that there was an intention to create an alarm” by Ahmed. No evidence of an intent to create a bomb hoax and no actual bomb.

Nothing. Just a reaction and a protocol that went awry.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Would you say that it is fair to call you a Christian activist, Knight?

I think your asking this question shows you have no argument against the facts as presented.

“If you see something, say something” is now racism. And for destroying this simple principle of self-protection, young Ahmed Mohamed is a media star.

Good quote from A4T.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If it is true that the boy did not really build this clock, but rather took the innerds out of a commercial clock, it does make his motives look pretty shady.

musterion

Not what he said.

Yes it is. Context, boy, context.

If some kid gutted an existing book from its cover, glued it into a folded up paper sack and took it to school declaring, "Look at my book," it would be no different from what lil' Ahmed has been allowed to get away with by people like you.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes it is. Context, boy, context.

If some kid gutted an existing book from its cover, glued it into a folded up paper sack and took it to school declaring, "Look at my book," it would be no different from what lil' Ahmed has been allowed to get away with by people like you.

No, it isn't. He said he wants to fight racism and discrimination.

Fighting racism and discrimination--noble enough, unless the tea leaves you're reading are steaming up the brim of your tinfoil hat.