The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

bybee

People are making him at least a large part of the issue, by inferring nonsense with no background, shading. Because they're Muslims and, hey, you know how those people are. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink, 'nuff said. :plain:

As for the kid, he didn't disobey a directive. I don't know why you think that. As someone who is the son of a teacher, who has been and will in relatively short order again be a teacher, that's not what happened.

One teacher told him it wasn't a good idea to carry it around. Again, if the teacher was really worried about it then all that teacher, the adult, the one who stands in loco parentis, who is supposed to have a fully functional prefrontal cortex, all that teacher had to do was confiscate the device and tell Ahmed he could have it back after school.

But he didn't take it. He didn't forbid it (which would have been silly, because if you're at that stage you're at the taking stage) and a fourteen year old boy, left to his own judgment, decided to continue to show it off. About as startling as rain falling from the sky. :)

The police who arrested him, via their chief, have publicly admitted that they found no reason to believe the boy was trying to perpetrate a bomb hoax and the worst thing the most ardently engaged at making the kid look bad have come up with on the device is that it's a badly redone alarm clock.

So, to recap: no actual forbidding or confiscation by the teachers (because, again, those two things are PBJ), no belief by the police that he attempted a hoax and no bomb.

If that's not a recipe for a national news story, what is...

I am bored with this whole thing. I, too, have taught and would assume that if I told a student "That is not a good idea". he would get the hint and refrain from the activity. Yes, he is a child and the children of today tend to do as they please. And we could go on and on and on.
The idea that the president invited this kid to the white house is rather galling considering how many other very worthy young persons might also have been invited to the white house? Do you suppose the invitation was extended because this young person was a Muslim? Hmmmmmmm? Sounds like, possibly, maybe, could be racial profiling?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am bored with this whole thing. I, too, have taught and would assume that if I told a student "That is not a good idea". he would get the hint and refrain from the activity. Yes, he is a child and the children of today tend to do as they please. And we could go on and on and on.
Okay, bybee. But to me it's simple, you act for the kid as a teacher. If you think something is wrong you don't leave it with him. I don't know a teacher in my experience who would.

He didn't do that because he, rightly or wrongly, didn't believe it was a problem that required it. No one did until the alarm went off in an English class and even then all the teacher should have done was confiscate it, turn it over to the office and let the principle explain the error in judgment, send the kid home a little wiser.

But cooler, reasonable, adult heads didn't prevail and we got a circus instead.

The idea that the president invited this kid to the white house is rather galling considering how many other very worthy young persons might also have been invited to the white house?
All sorts of people are invited to the White House. Don't waste good gall. Every time a winning sports team goes to meet the President you can nearly bet at least one of them has a conviction or problem in his past or present. So this kid built a clock. It's not great, but then this kid got slapped in handcuffs for it, so maybe one exaggerated bit of embarrassing nonsense deserves another. :D

Do you suppose the invitation was extended because this young person was a Muslim? Hmmmmmmm? Sounds like, possibly, maybe, could be racial profiling?
I think he got an invite because of what happened to him and how I'm sure that resonated with the President. I can't say having this kid there will diminish the stature of the place.

bybee

Okay, bybee. But to me it's simple, you act for the kid as a teacher. If you think something is wrong you don't leave it with him. I don't know a teacher in my experience who would.

He didn't do that because he, rightly or wrongly, didn't believe it was a problem that required it. No one did until the alarm went off in an English class and even then all the teacher should have done was confiscate it, turn it over to the office and let the principle explain the error in judgment, send the kid home a little wiser.

But cooler, reasonable, adult heads didn't prevail and we got a circus instead.

All sorts of people are invited to the White House. Don't waste good gall. Every time a winning sports team goes to meet the President you can nearly bet at least one of them has a conviction or problem in his past or present. So this kid built a clock. It's not great, but then this kid got slapped in handcuffs for it, so maybe one exaggerated bit of embarrassing nonsense deserves another. :D

I think he got an invite because of what happened to him and how I'm sure that resonated with the President. I can't say having this kid there will diminish the stature of the place.

Well Counselor I believe you have glibly answered every concern regarding this, I agree fiasco!
I am with you in part and in part reserve judgment.
But, I am grateful that you strive mightily to head off the hanging posse in situations like this!
Thanks for your courage!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm commenting on what the kid said, not your criticism of his school work.

1) It wasn't school work, there was no assignment.
2) He initially told the school he just wanted to show it to an engineering teacher, who told him what it looked like and not to show it again to anyone but he continued:
3) He plugged it in (hidden) - in his english class and then when it started making noise, the english teacher got involved and thats what led to police being called.
4) He was passive agressive and uncooperative when questioned about it - kept stating it was a clock, even though no digital clock display was present.
5) We cant know any more than that, since the parents have gagged police and the school because of the minor status of the son.
6) His sister earlier was also suspended for a "bomb" issue
7) His Father is a muslim activist and media craver crying foul, while gagging everyone to tell their side.

Now think what you like and look like an idiot.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
PARENTS CLAIM AHMED MOHAMED IS ‘SEVERELY TRAUMATIZED’

Yet this week... tweeted a lot — “Going to Cali!!!,” “#NYC here I come!,” and expressed zeal over meeting Comedy Central’s Wilmore. Mohamed announced his new Instagram account for the official I Stand with Ahmed Report for “my updates” and, on Friday, tweeted: “I’m enjoying New York!!!! It’s so awesome.”

Great article click the link to the story and read it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Yet this week... tweeted a lot — “Going to Cali!!!,” “#NYC here I come!,” and expressed zeal over meeting Comedy Central’s Wilmore. Mohamed announced his new Instagram account for the official I Stand with Ahmed Report for “my updates” and, on Friday, tweeted: “I’m enjoying New York!!!! It’s so awesome.”

sure !!!!!!!!! bring a bomb to school, blame the school in spite of a family history of terrorist thinking, and enjoy the great US of A on a free pass, with fame and fortune to boot - i'm training my kids now !!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

So what. The kid's 14 years old.

The author of that biased bit of journalism sounds kind of envious, actually.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
sure !!!!!!!!! bring a bomb to school, blame the school in spite of a family history of terrorist thinking,
The family doesn't have a history of terrorist thinking.

and enjoy the great US of A on a free pass,
Didn't read my bio information about the father then. He got here with academic credentials, but worked and saved and eventually became the owner of several small businesses. You think small business owners are enjoying the USA on a free pass?

with fame and fortune to boot - i'm training my kids now !!
He made himself into what he is and provided what he has by hard work. Isn't that the American idea?

The author is pointing out that the parents claim that Amhed suffers from PTSD is preposterous.
I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis. I bet the author isn't either, whether or not the claim was actually made and is real. But I read the author say the family related Ahmed is suffers with a severe trauma. Then he goes into PTSD without making it clear that is, particularly, what the family is claiming.

Seems simple enough to repeat the press release. Why isn't he?

I noticed the author is still trying the alleged hoax bomb, which never happened, according to the Chief of police.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The author is pointing out that the parents claim that Amhed suffers from PTSD is preposterous.

Where is a direct quote of their claim of PTSD? All I've found that they said was "severely traumatized." I wasn't able to find mention of PTSD other than from the Breitbart piece so if you have something, it would be nice to see it. And yes he certainly could have been traumatized by the experience, although kids can also be remarkably resilient.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Where is a direct quote of their claim of PTSD? All I've found that they said was "severely traumatized." I wasn't able to find mention of PTSD other than from the Breitbart piece so if you have something, it would be nice to see it. And yes he certainly could have been traumatized by the experience, although kids can also be remarkably resilient.

The same linked article quotes a guy with zero particular access to the particulars of the case declaring the police and everyone except Ahmed acted properly. :plain: Because, in part, Ahmed's clock is how he's built bombs and exploded them.

The same author has Ahmed "chirping" and seems to believe that if you've been traumatized by an event you walk around obviously distressed in every moment of the day thereafter. That you're incapable of being happy or excited or even relatively normal for any observable period of time.

I'm glad he isn't counselling people who have been traumatized, because he doesn't appear to have any real idea about how that goes.

Like I said, there are a lot of people throwing sand at this kid and praying he sweats.

musterion

If mom's wearing a big black tater sack for the occasion, security will just wave them all right through.

musterion

4) He was passive agressive and uncooperative when questioned about it - kept stating it was a clock, even though no digital clock display was present.

Wait...ClockBoy's "clock" didn't even have a working display? Are you sure? I had not heard that!

And just as a reminder, once upon a time these were explosive only in the hands of someone who hadn't read the directions...

W92160-6qt-Pressure-Cooker_large.jpg

But today, if you see one sitting unattended in public...on a streetcorner, on a bus, in a mall...are you going to wonder? Yes you are, and you're lying if you say you aren't.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we will never know what really went on here
thanks to the lawyers
they will settle out of court
and
everyone will be forced to sign a non disclosure

Granite

Hall of Fame
Wait...ClockBoy's "clock" didn't even have a working display? Are you sure? I had not heard that!

And just as a reminder, once upon a time these were explosive only in the hands of someone who hadn't read the directions...

W92160-6qt-Pressure-Cooker_large.jpg

But today, if you see one sitting unattended in public...on a streetcorner, on a bus, in a mall...are you going to wonder? Yes you are, and you're lying if you say you aren't.

Uh, maybe it's just me, but I would've "wondered" if I saw a pressure cooker sitting somewhere in public before the Marathon bombing.