The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

musterion

You right-wingers are becoming desperate. The boy built a clock. End of story. Time to build a bridge and get over it.

When I was a kid, I put together several dozen plastic model kits. I could rightly claim that I built or even "made" them within the obvious context of simply gluing parts together. In no way did I build the kits in the sense that I "created" or "invented" any of them. Someone else did the hard part.

Same thing here. One could say he reconstructed or perhaps customized a clock -- an existing one -- but he invented nothing, as the word "built" is being forced to mean. Even if he had Radio Shacked every component from scratch, he still wouldn't have invented anything...the components would already have been designed to work together to make...a clock. That's not inventiveness, that'd just be following schematics (a notable skill in itself, especially for a kid). But he didn't even do that.

Do I think what he did was essentially neato? Yep, have from the start. But what he did was barely clever, even by middle school standards.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Same thing here. One could say he reconstructed or perhaps customized a clock -- an existing one -- but he invented nothing, as the word "built" is being forced to mean. Even if he had Radio Shacked every component from scratch, he still wouldn't have invented anything.

Do I think what he did was essentially neat? Yep, have from the start. But what he did was barely clever, even by middle school standards.
He's fourteen...and grown men feel the need to take shots at him. Because he...killed someone? No. Broke the law? No, though he was treated like a criminal.

Remarkable.

StanJ

Uh.... TOL has (for nearly 20 years) discussed theology, religion, politics, sports, entertainment, and just about everything else.
Maybe you logged into the wrong forum today?

No problem with those...it's all the garbage that get's spread from right wing websites that I'm referring to, unless you support gossip and rumour here?

musterion

He's fourteen...and grown men feel the need to take shots at him. Because he...killed someone? No. Broke the law? No, though he was treated like a criminal.

Remarkable.

What's remarkable is you being progressively reduced to emotional appeals.

Amazingly, these folks - of all people - are seeing things somewhat more clearly than you are.

"We're not pointing a finger at the school district or the police department," ________ said. "Under the current climate that exists in this country, you can't really blame them because when they see something like that, they have to react."
Take a guess who said that.

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2015/09/muslim_group_doesnt_fault_scho.html

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What's remarkable is you being progressively reduced to emotional appeals.
I think it's remarkable that you find adults attacking the character and motivations of a fourteen year old boy for doing nothing criminal or, for all we know, wrong in literally any sense of the word, defensible.

I'm not making an appeal to emotion, but an appeal to examine the fundamentally irrational nature of the fixation here and its root in a larger complaint this boy so obviously is the whipping post for.

Take a guess who said that.
I don't care if Gandhi was alive and said it. I don't believe in appeals to authority in lieu of argument. Anyone who thinks the police "had" to respond by handcuffing a fourteen year old and arresting him for taking a clock to school has been taken to school by someone else and may need a clock.

Granite

Hall of Fame
So a clock's reason for alarm. But some open carry loons who deliberately provoke folks and make them uncomfortable aren't.

Uh-huh.

musterion

I think it's remarkable that you find adults attacking the character and motivations of a fourteen year old boy for doing nothing criminal or, for all we know, wrong in literally any sense of the word, defensible.

From all I've read it was in accordance with official school policy, which would have been followed just the same had ANY kid done what he did. Some may not like what they did but no one disputes they were following their locally established rules.
smiley_shrug%5B1%5D.gif

I'm not making an appeal to emotion, but an appeal to examine the fundamentally irrational nature of the fixation here and its root in a larger complaint this boy so obviously is the whipping post for.
It's really not about the boy himself, at least as far as I'm concerned. You seem to not get that or don't want to acknowledge it.

Hypothetical: if in 10 years time, this forgotten story is resurrected in a report this boy has gone to join whatever iteration of ISIS exists at that time, or has done something violent in the name of Allah. Which option would you pick to explain that?

a. That trajectory for his life was probable from the get-go.

b. The ridiculous Clock Incident of '15 so scarred the poor lad that THAT'S what forced him to go jihadi. If not for that, he'd be the next Bill Nye.

Just curious.

I think you're talking out of your bias here. There's nothing reasonable about this circus except in the attempts to halt it.
I refer you again to the local BOE policies. Were they a problem?

I don't care if Gandhi was alive and said it.
Gandhi was not a Muslim and so would not have said it. But Muslims did. Ignore it anyway, as well as his sister's admitted past. I don't care.

I don't believe in appeals to authority in lieu of argument.
Except when it comes to the Word of God, neither do I. So who made one?

Anyone who thinks the police "had" to respond by handcuffing a fourteen year old and arresting him for taking a clock to school has been taken to school by someone else and may need a clock.
:think: Cryptic, yet obscure.

Do you get this verklempt in court when you sense a jury isn't leaning your way?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's really not about the boy himself, at least as far as I'm concerned. You seem to not get that or don't want to acknowledge it.
Then there's no need for most of what's happening here, questioning the boy and his motives and his ethic and his character.

Hypothetical: if in 10 years time, this forgotten story is resurrected in a report this boy has gone to join whatever iteration of ISIS exists at that time, or has done something violent in the name of Allah. Which option would you pick to explain that?

a. That trajectory for his life was probable from the get-go.

b. The ridiculous Clock Incident of '15 so scarred the poor lad that THAT'S what forced him to go jihadi. If not for that, he'd be the next Bill Nye.

Just curious.
I'd have the same answer that I had for the clock. I wouldn't know what started it and laying it at the feet of this event or assuming because his parents are Muslim that there was an element of inevitability about it would both be shaky speculations at best. Most Muslims live peaceful lives. Most people who have are treated harshly and subject to revilement because they're not a part of the dominant culture in most respects don't turn into terrorists.

I refer you again to the local BOE policies. Were they a problem?
If they lacked enough discretionary power to avoid this then yes. But I haven't seen them.

Gandhi was not a Muslim and so would not have said it.
Which you know wasn't the point. I could as easily have said Lincoln or Churchill.

But Muslims did. Ignore it anyway, as well as his sister's admitted past.
I didn't ignore it. I addressed it directly. And I don't care about his sister because it has no bearing on the point, other than to expand my note about the need here and how people are scrambling to have something to throw at this...remarkable.

Except when it comes to the Word of God, neither do I. So who made one?
You did, the moment you did the, "See, a Muslim thinks this is reasonable" instead of making a case for it actually being reasonable. The authority is vested in that Muslim as the proper judge of reasonableness. He's no more or less in that position than either of us.

And so my response.

:think: Cryptic, yet obscure.
Eh, it has an aim, but I'm not aiming it at everyone. The schooled/fooled bit was obvious enough and turning the clock back should have led you to the time and what time it was. :)

Do you get this verklempt in court when you sense a jury isn't leaning your way?
I never confused an opposing party with a jury or a rational rebuttal with emotionalism, though I've found people who repeatedly try to hoist that flag rarely have anything to salute.

And I won more juries than I lost. But then, juries can be held to a function within the reasonable constraint of the law, unlike mobs.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
He didn't "make" anything...He took an alarm clock apart, removed the component parts from the casing and wired them back together in his little pencil box....End of story :plain:

So a kid's school work is worthy of outrage.

StanJ

He didn't "make" anything...He took an alarm clock apart, removed the component parts from the casing and wired them back together in his little pencil box....End of story :plain:

Well as he denies that and you have no proof, end of story.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Then there's no need for most of what's happening here, questioning the boy and his motives and his ethic and his character.

:think: Yes...I suppose there is a certain implied questioning of the boys character with my view of the matter.

...But I applaud his shrewdness. ;) Let's face it, to be able to so spectacularly pull off a Troll like this displays real talent. I hope he winds up on our side in spite of whatever teasing/racism he has probably put up with up until this point. Maybe, since he made everyone look like idiots, he'll be magnanimous. :p