ECT The "Church" at Acts 2 Was Not the Body of Christ

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Matthew 26:26
And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.

1 Corinthians 10:17
For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.​

Jerry Shugart

and what about Gal 3:26-29 (NIV), where in Paul says there is neither Jew nor Gentile, but that ALL are ONE in Christ Jesus. No Jewish church no Gentile church, we ALL as true believers, belong to the Body of Christ.
That body started with Peter's confession of who Jesus was.

The earliest the Body of Christ could have started was the breaking down of the middle wall of partition between the Jew and the Gentile and that could not have happened until the Cross (Eph.2:14-15).

But the Body of Christ was not formed then because Israel was going to get another chance at the kingdom. And here Peter tells that nation that if she would repent and be converted the the Father would send back the Son so that she could enjoy the times of refreshing:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).​

Jerry Shugart

Did that ever happen??

Yes, Peter made an offer of the kingdom to them here:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).​

It will be when the Lord Jesus returns to the earth when He will sit upon His throne and begins to reign in His kingdom, as witnessed by His own words:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory" (Mt.25:31).​

Jerry Shugart

Did that ever happen??

I believe that this happened when Stephen was stoned at Acts 7. In The Berean Searchlight Win Johnson wrote:

"Matthew 12:31,32 states: 'Wherefore I say unto you, all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world [age], neither in the world to come."

"These words of warning came from the lips of the Son of God while He walked among men in His earthly ministry. They were addressed to the religious leaders of the nation Israel. Their blasphemy against Him even when He hung on the Cross was forgiven by the Father in answer to the prayer, 'Father forgive them, for they know not what they do' (Luke 23:34).

"But when at Pentecost, Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, announced the return of Messiah on the condition of Israel's national repentance, these leaders instigated a persecution that reached its climax in the stoning of Stephen, a godly man, 'full of the Holy Ghost' (Acts 7:54-60). It was here that the 'unpardonable sin' was committed by Israel's leaders. The Third Person of the Trinity had been blasphemed and His pleadings through the Apostles ignored. This sin will never be forgiven" (Win Johnson, "The Unpardonable Sin," The Berean Searchlight, Feb.2001, p.6).​

The "unpardonable sin" was committed at Acts 7, and I believe that at that point in time national Israel was temporarily set aside. I believe that at that time the Holy Spirit baptized all believers into the Church, which is His Body.

After all, what was the Lord to do with the Jewish believers since He had concluded the nation of Israel as a whole in unbelief?:

"For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all" (Ro.11:30-32).​

Cross Reference

I believe that this happened when Stephen was stoned at Acts 7. In The Berean Searchlight Win Johnson wrote:

"Matthew 12:31,32 states: 'Wherefore I say unto you, all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world [age], neither in the world to come."

"These words of warning came from the lips of the Son of God while He walked among men in His earthly ministry. They were addressed to the religious leaders of the nation Israel. Their blasphemy against Him even when He hung on the Cross was forgiven by the Father in answer to the prayer, 'Father forgive them, for they know not what they do' (Luke 23:34).

"But when at Pentecost, Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, announced the return of Messiah on the condition of Israel's national repentance, these leaders instigated a persecution that reached its climax in the stoning of Stephen, a godly man, 'full of the Holy Ghost' (Acts 7:54-60). It was here that the 'unpardonable sin' was committed by Israel's leaders. The Third Person of the Trinity had been blasphemed and His pleadings through the Apostles ignored. This sin will never be forgiven" (Win Johnson, "The Unpardonable Sin," The Berean Searchlight, Feb.2001, p.6).​

The "unpardonable sin" was committed at Acts 7, and I believe that at that point in time national Israel was temporarily set aside. I believe that at that time the Holy Spirit baptized all believers into the Church, which is His Body.

After all, what was the Lord to do with the Jewish believers since He had concluded the nation of Israel as a whole in unbelief?:

How can any of that be accurate when the Body of Christ began in John 20:22. It is not arguable that that was the beginning.

God's Truth

How can any of that be accurate when the Body of Christ began in John 20:22. It is not arguable that that was the beginning.

We become part of the body of Christ when we obey Jesus.

Being part of the body of Christ is when people obeyed Jesus.

Believing in Jesus is how we drink his blood.

Obeying Jesus' words is how we eat Jesus' flesh.

When we eat of Jesus we become a part of Jesus and Jesus becomes a part of us.

If you drink and eat of Jesus, Jesus will give you water to drink. The water is the Holy Spirit.

Does anyone want scripture references?

Cross Reference

We become part of the body of Christ when we obey Jesus.

We become the Body of Christ when we are born again; when His life indwells/is imputed to us asdemonstrated by what transpired in John 20:22.. Obedience is needed to sustain His Life in us. __If, that this, you consider yourself, born again.

DAN P

Because that is what Paul is talking about, WHEN this happens, not IF

Because God is LOVE, He will never cease. Every other trait and spiritual gift given to men will, because when we are made perfect at His return, we will not need these, which is why they will cease to exist. We will then function completely and perfectly in faith, hope and love.

Hi and the REASON only 3 gifts were with drawn is BECAUSE they are Pentecostal gifts , ONLY to be used on the Day of Pentecosal and because Israel rejected her MESSIAH and rejected Acts 3:19 and 20 Penteciost was set ASIDE !!

Pentecost will come back during the Great Tribulation !!

dan p

StanJ

The earliest the Body of Christ could have started was the breaking down of the middle wall of partition between the Jew and the Gentile and that could not have happened until the Cross (Eph.2:14-15).

But the Body of Christ was not formed then because Israel was going to get another chance at the kingdom. And here Peter tells that nation that if she would repent and be converted the the Father would send back the Son so that she could enjoy the times of refreshing:
"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).

That has already been established Jerry, but does NOT answer my question.

The NC was/is their second chance. They had their chance under the OC and they failed, which is why Jesus ushered in the NC based on God's plan.
Peter is telling the Jews he is speaking to that Jesus IS the messiah and that they need to acknowledge that first and foremost before Jesus could actually become their effective Messiah in reality in a spiritual manner, just as He was for Peter and John and all who DID believe. Peter is reminding them what Jesus HAD fulfilled in His having come to them physically, and that they needed to repent and turn to Him spiritually now that He had been received back to God.

DAN P

I, KNOW they are, but as you have NOT received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, you make fun of what you do not or can not understand.
All I can do is pray that God wakes you up to the reality of His Holy Spirit, as He did the men in Acts 19:1-7 (NIV)
I'm sure ALL your experiences are either here say or YouTube, which of course means absolutely nothing, as to the validity of the true experience of the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

Hi , and I saw all I needed to see what they were doing , GIBBERISH and no INTERPREATOR which is not bibical and you have more DOUBTS on Languages and whether you are saved , NOR can prove to your self that you are saved , SAD !!

DAN P

DAN P

I, KNOW they are, but as you have NOT received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, you make fun of what you do not or can not understand.
All I can do is pray that God wakes you up to the reality of His Holy Spirit, as He did the men in Acts 19:1-7 (NIV)
I'm sure ALL your experiences are either here say or YouTube, which of course means absolutely nothing, as to the validity of the true experience of the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

Hi and I saw my own mother speak in so-called TONGUES for years and even she said that TONGUES were a FAKE !!

DAN P

Jerry Shugart

That has already been established Jerry, but does NOT answer my question.

Those words were answering someone else.

The NC was/is their second chance. They had their chance under the OC and they failed, which is why Jesus ushered in the NC based on God's plan.

The New Covenant has not yet been ushered in. That will only happen when all those in the house of Israel and the house of Judah know the Lord and have their sins forgiven (Jer.31:31-34).

Peter is telling the Jews he is speaking to that Jesus IS the messiah and that they need to acknowledge that first and foremost before Jesus could actually become their effective Messiah in reality in a spiritual manner...

No this is not just speaking of the Lord Jesus being their Messiah "in a spiritual manner."

Instead, Peter speaks of the Lord Jesus being sent back to the earth:

And when He will return to the earth then He will sit upon His throne and began to reign:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory" (Mt.25:31).​

Jerry Shugart

That cannot possibly be the correct translation. That is because in the following passage the Lord Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would not be sent until He departed to be with the Father and He had not yet departed to be with the Father when He said those words:

"But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou? But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you" (Jn.16:5-7).​

It is impossible that they had received "the Holy Spirit" because the Lord Jesus had not yet departed to be with the Father when He spoke the words at John 20:22. Therefore the correct translation of John 20:22 is as follows:

"And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive holy spirit'" (Jn.20:22).​

StanJ

Hi and the REASON only 3 gifts were with drawn is BECAUSE they are Pentecostal gifts , ONLY to be used on the Day of Pentecosal and because Israel rejected her MESSIAH and rejected Acts 3:19 and 20 Penteciost was set ASIDE !!
Pentecost will come back during the Great Tribulation !!

dan p

Sorry but that is NOT in the scriptures, only in your anti-Pentecostal/RCC POV.
Paul dealt with issues effecting corporate worship in 1 Cor 14, but he had already itemized them in 1 Cor 12 so I suggest you familiarize yourself with them there then move on to 1 Cor 14

The Day of Pentecost has nothing to do with Pentecostal gifts, it was already a Jewish holiday that was also called the Fest of Weeks in the OT.
I can't say that it was a coincidence that the Holy Spirit was given on that day, because obviously it was God's intent that it was. Pentecost is Greek for 'fifty', which in Hebrew is Shavuot. Just as Easter and Passover overlap, so does the Shavuot and Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Neither one has stopped.

StanJ

Hi , and I saw all I needed to see what they were doing , GIBBERISH and no INTERPREATOR which is not bibical and you have more DOUBTS on Languages and whether you are saved , NOR can prove to your self that you are saved , SAD !!

As your comprehension level of ALL things Biblical is seriously flawed, you wouldn't know a spiritual truth if it slapped you upside the head.
You are quite the troll.
:yawn:

StanJ

Those words were answering someone else.

Then you should pay attention and not waste my time.

The New Covenant has not yet been ushered in. That will only happen when all those in the house of Israel and the house of Judah know the Lord and have their sins forgiven (Jer.31:31-34).

The NC was ushered in as soon a Jesus was born. It became totally complete when the Temple was destroyed in 70AD.

No this is not just speaking of the Lord Jesus being their Messiah "in a spiritual manner."

Plucking out only certain verses and NOT reading it in CONTEXT is what gets people in trouble all the time Jerry. Jesus had already been as Peter said in v14-16.
You're inferring something that is NOT there nor in context.

Cross Reference

That cannot possibly be the correct translation. That is because in the following passage the Lord Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would not be sent until He departed to be with the Father and He had not yet departed to be with the Father when He said those words:

"But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou? But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you" (Jn.16:5-7).​

It is impossible that they had received "the Holy Spirit" because the Lord Jesus had not yet departed to be with the Father when He spoke the words at John 20:22. Therefore the correct translation of John 20:22 is as follows:

"And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive holy spirit'" (Jn.20:22).​

Sorry dude, it is the correct understanding. All you need to do is accept John 20:22 as written. The "Promise of the Father" is what the now "Body of Christ" had to wait for which was the Acts 2 event. That part is not arguable either..