ECT Speaking in tongues

TweetyBird

Again, in the church.

1 Cor is all about the assembly - every single verse. It all stated back in 1 Cor 12 when Paul was speaking about the body of Christ.

Private prayer, as Jesus taught us and also Paul by many, many examples, is always verbalized from one's thoughts into prayer - often with the help of the Holy Spirit as He brings things to our remembrance. Not knowing what you are saying is not prayer - not anywhere in the Bible.

TweetyBird

Um......some responded saying....."what does this mean", and others, "they've had too much wine".

Acts 2
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judæa, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. 12 And they were all amazed, and [all] were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? 13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judæa, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: 15 for these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. 16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 18 and on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: 19 and I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: 20 the sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: 21 and it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

andyc

Good point...for once.

Healing is a Dispensational issue.

As with one's proper understanding of the ceasing of the various gifts; which is dependent upon one's proper understanding of the completeness said gifts gave way to Dispensationally; so with the healing issue today, also this side of that which is perfect...

The better one understands both the above and one's completeness in Christ Dispensationally; the better one understands why God no longer heals today, nor needs to.

Well let's base it on the bible, shall we?

But if all one does is go against this assertion just because it does not fit one's understandings and or beliefs about a thing...

Well, that is not how the truly consistent Dispensationalalist responds to such assertions.

Rather; he buries his or her nose in Scripture "studying the Scriptures daily, whether those things are so..." Acts 17:11.

What was another reason behind why Jesus heal? And why did Lazarus die again?

I'll answer the first question three questions and two passages...

Well regarding Lazarus, Jesus tells us why he died and was raised. It was specifically so that the Father and Jesus would be glorified through his resurrection.

Who was Israel to have been?

Exodus 19:3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel; 19:4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Well guess what?

Leviticus 21:16 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 21:17 Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. 21:18 For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, 21:19 Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, 21:20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; 21:21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God. 21:22 He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy. 21:23 Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them. 21:24 And Moses told it unto Aaron, and to his sons, and unto all the children of Israel.

Any Dispy see two obvious implications in that?

Come on dispies, put us out of our misery.

Danoh

1 Cor is all about the assembly - every single verse. It all stated back in 1 Cor 12 when Paul was speaking about the body of Christ.

Private prayer, as Jesus taught us and also Paul by many, many examples, is always verbalized from one's thoughts into prayer - often with the help of the Holy Spirit as He brings things to our remembrance. Not knowing what you are saying is not prayer - not anywhere in the Bible.

That is not the Spirit; that is memory management.

The promise you are referring to was to the Twelve, et al.

If you were right; there would be no NT writings reminding them of this, that, the other.

After "that which is perfect" came, the reminder was then the Scripture; which was then gradaully doing that more and more...

Another issue one should diligently study out.

And a much better use of our time then going back and forth with individuals clearly no where even remotely equipped as to how to properly study these issues out.

But I'm sure Andyc is happy, lol

andyc

Acts 2
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judæa, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. 12 And they were all amazed, and [all] were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? 13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judæa, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: 15 for these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. 16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 18 and on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: 19 and I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: 20 the sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: 21 and it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Yeah, what does this mean?
Didn't Peter explain it when not speaking in a tongue?

TweetyBird

That is not the Spirit; that is memory management.

The promise you are referring to was to the Twelve, et al.

If you were right; there would be no NT writings reminding them of this, that, the other.

After "that which is perfect" came, the reminder was then the Scripture; which was then gradaully doing that more and more...

Another issue one should diligently study out.

And a much better use of our time then going back and forth with individuals clearly no where even remotely equipped as to how to properly study these issues out.

But I'm sure Andyc is happy, lol

So much random thought, so little time .....

TweetyBird

Yeah, what does this mean?
Didn't Peter explain it when not speaking in a tongue?

I quoted Acts 2 with bolding and underline to answer this:

["Can someone give me an example from scripture where someone spoke supernaturally in a tongue, and an unbeliever was impressed, or saved, or even responded positively?"]

The unbelieving Jews were "impressed" by tongues - they marveled, were amazed, that Galieans were magnifying God in their own languages - then doubted, questioned, were in a word, flummoxed. Peter then preached Jesus to them and 3000 believed.

DAN P

I quoted Acts 2 with bolding and underline to answer this:

["Can someone give me an example from scripture where someone spoke supernaturally in a tongue, and an unbeliever was impressed, or saved, or even responded positively?"]

The unbelieving Jews were "impressed" by tongues - they marveled, were amazed, that Galieans were magnifying God in their own languages - then doubted, questioned, were in a word, flummoxed. Peter then preached Jesus to them and 3000 believed.

Hi and in Acts 2:8 these Jews were from the Roman empire and this power was given as it was promised by Joel 3:28 !!

The 12 apostles did not pray for Languages as it was promised to them and they were looking for Israels Kingdom Acts 1:5 and 6 , so are looking for the Kingdom of Israel for that is the CONTEXT , if you all believe in GRAMMAR !!

DAN P

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Still am. Soon as I nailed MAD and saw the link with gnosticism, I have never held back.
I've watched people here (who I respect BTW) crumble and try to find common ground, but I have always kicked mad in the teeth cause I kinow what the spirit is behind it. It stinks of humanism. Mad is a religion of the flesh.

Sure is, and the followers of it respond according to their flesh.

LA

Kott

BANNED
Banned
First, I open the Bible.
Second, e.g., I would not pray 'Lord, make me a millionaire' because I do not see an example of such or even an implication of such prayer in the Bible.
Third, I ask the Holy Spirit to direct my prayers the way they're supposed to be.

But that's just me.
How do you distinguish the difference
between the Holy Spirit and all other spirits?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Indeed, none of those scenarios mattered to those who had the real gift in the 1st century.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Rom 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If andyc the spiritual giant would speak fluently in a legitimate known language that he had never studied I'd be impressed and give him due credit. But he won't, and never will.

1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And you're stupid.

The proof those Gentiles were touched by God (a complete shock to Peter & Co.) was the tongues they spoke in.

The proof IS the gift. The gift IS the proof.

You claim the gift but hide the proof by hiding the gift. Because you're a liar.

1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself;

LA

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
First of all, I don't believe "Tongues" exist today. However, if they did, there is so much room for fraudulent displays of it. It can be faked, so how would anybody KNOW they were hearing the "Real thing??"

You would have to be familiar with the Spirit of the initiator.

If it was of the devil you would like it.

LA