ECT Speaking in tongues

andyc

I don't need one.

How do you know if there is a chance he might or might not?

Only the sign gifts targeted at Israel were said to cease. God can still do ANYTHING He chooses to do, when He chooses to do it. You doubt this?

Shut us up. Post your proof.

So do you believe that God could suddenly decide to condemn everyone to hell, even those who believe the gospel, just cause he chooses to because he is God?

musterion

How do you know if there is a chance he might or might not?

So do you believe that God could suddenly decide to condemn everyone to hell, even those who believe the gospel, just cause he chooses to because he is God?

These are what's called foolish questions. He's doing all he can to avoid posting the proof God has done in him what he wants us to believe He's done.

andyc

The key to the whole tongues debate is the context in which Paul spoke. The key to that, imo,

imo?

In mad opinion?

is 1 Cor 14:19 -- "BUT IN THE CHURCH I would rather speak five words with my understanding, in order to teach others also, than 10,000 words in another language."

AndyC can neither teach not speak in tongues.

Well if only God understands what is said when speaking in tongues, it's better to speak in a language that people understand when you're in church.

TweetyBird

Why should the gift of healing be for today? Haven't you heard that the gift of speaking in tongues has ceased? Maybe all the gifts of the Spirit have ceased for today? Just saying.

Isn't it amazing how 'we' 'choose' which 'gift' of the Spirit 'we' will accept and which ones 'we' reject?

We don't get to choose any gifts of the Spirit. They are given as the Spirit wills. It has nothing to do with you or me. If God is giving the gifts of 1 Cor 12, I am on board with it. I would love to see it. Maybe He will some day - it's really up to Him.

andyc

These are what's called foolish questions. He's doing all he can to avoid posting the proof God has done in him what he wants us to believe He's done.

No I'm just quoting you. God can do what he wants, because he's God.
He could give andy tongues, but only if musty clears it. He could heal the sick, but only if he feels like it. Of course, there's no scripture to base this on, but musty believes it because it's convenient to him.

andyc

Can someone give me an example from scripture where someone spoke supernaturally in a tongue, and an unbeliever was impressed, or saved, or even responded positively?

lifeisgood

The key to the whole tongues debate is the context in which Paul spoke. The key to that, imo, is 1 Cor 14:19 -- "BUT IN THE CHURCH I would rather speak five words with my understanding, in order to teach others also, than 10,000 words in another language."

AndyC can neither teach not speak in tongues.

I agree with you and Paul that 'in the Church I would rather speak five words with my understanding', however, Paul also said that he spoke in tongues more than all of you (1 Corinthians 14:18), and I believe he was not talking about speaking in tongues in the Church, but when he was alone with God.

I guess the problem of 'speaking in tongues' was also an issue in Paul's day:
1 Corinthians 14:2
1 Corinthians 14:39

TweetyBird

No

So how do you know, from these verses, that they were speaking in a tongue that Peter didn't understand?
How many languages do you think Peter understood?
Remember, he was an unschooled man.

I did not say that they spoke in a tongue that Peter did not understand. Peter understood what they said. It is simple. Reiterating: Peter understood what they said.

lifeisgood

We don't get to choose any gifts of the Spirit.

Exactly.

They are given as the Spirit wills.

Exactly.

It has nothing to do with you or me.

Exactly.

If God is giving the gifts of 1 Cor 12, I am on board with it.

But there is that 'if' meaning, at least from where I am sitted, that you do not believe they are for today.

I would love to see it.

Unless it happens to me, I won't believe it, if it happens to somebody it is not for today. Got it.

Maybe He will some day - it's really up to Him.

Yes, it is up to Him.

TweetyBird

I agree with you and Paul that 'in the Church I would rather speak five words with my understanding', however, Paul also said that he spoke in tongues more than all of you (1 Corinthians 14:18), and I believe he was not talking about speaking in tongues in the Church, but when he was alone with God.

I guess the problem of 'speaking in tongues' was also an issue in Paul's day:
1 Corinthians 14:2
1 Corinthians 14:39

1 Cor 14:18 is not a stand alone verse. It has to be read with verses 19 & 20.

1 Cor 14
18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19 yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

lifeisgood

1 Cor 14:18 is not a stand alone verse. It has to be read with verses 19 & 20.

1 Cor 14
18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19 yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Again, in the church.

TweetyBird

But there is that 'if' meaning, at least from where I am sitted, that you do not believe they are for today.

It's simple - if God were to give the gifts of the Spirit like He did to the early NT church, I am on board with it. I did not realize it was a difficult statement to comprehend.

Unless it happens to me, I won't believe it, if it happens to somebody it is not for today. Got it.

Is that what I said? You must be referring to someone else.

Yes, it is up to Him.

Then why are you disagreeing?

Danoh

So where is your verse from the bible telling you that God heals as he chooses?

Good point...for once.

Healing is a Dispensational issue.

As with one's proper understanding of the ceasing of the various gifts; which is dependent upon one's proper understanding of the completeness said gifts gave way to Dispensationally; so with the healing issue today, also this side of that which is perfect...

The better one understands both the above and one's completeness in Christ Dispensationally; the better one understands why God no longer heals today, nor needs to.

But if all one does is go against this assertion just because it does not fit one's understandings and or beliefs about a thing...

Well, that is not how the truly consistent Dispensationalalist responds to such assertions.

Rather; he buries his or her nose in Scripture "studying the Scriptures daily, whether those things are so..." Acts 17:11.

What was another reason behind why Jesus heal? And why did Lazarus die again?

I'll answer the first question three questions and two passages...

Who was Israel to have been?

Exodus 19:3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel; 19:4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Well guess what?

Leviticus 21:16 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 21:17 Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. 21:18 For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, 21:19 Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, 21:20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; 21:21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God. 21:22 He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy. 21:23 Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them. 21:24 And Moses told it unto Aaron, and to his sons, and unto all the children of Israel.

Any Dispy see two obvious implications in that?

TweetyBird

Are you saying that you believe that God does not want to heal you?

I am saying that it is God's will to do with me as He chooses. I am His servant. If I am critically ill and it is His plan to heal me, however that happens - either miraculously or by medical means, then I am healed. If it is not His plan, then if I die or remain critically ill, I accept His will and He will be praised and given the glory 24/7. This is the position of millions of Christians based on the Biblical text. I am not some strange phenom - it is normal for a believer to trust God to do as He chooses with us.