ECT Speaking in tongues

andyc

Wouldn't be much of a sign if they didn't. If the circumcised believers in Cornelius' house hadn't heard at least one actual, identifiable language that those Gentiles otherwise would not have spoken, they wouldn't have had reason to believe it was of God, now would they.

Likewise, if people never hear actual, identifiable languages from you, they have no reason to believe you're anything more than a vain lying boaster.

Of course you could fix all that tonight. Got a camera and mic built into your computer?

So many tongues do you think Peter spoke?

TweetyBird

:chuckle:

Who is this guy?
Can someone fill me in?

Should he be in the Christian only forum?

Spoiler Alert: I am a Christian - you just missed the nuances of your post, so let me spell it out for you. If I you came to me saying that God wants me healed and you would like to pray for me ... sianara.:wave2:

lifeisgood

Who says God is not healing today? God has healed and done miracles since creation. Surely you don't think that non-Pentecostals do not believe in the miraculous power of God? :shocked::confused:

Why should the gift of healing be for today? Haven't you heard that the gift of speaking in tongues has ceased? Maybe all the gifts of the Spirit have ceased for today? Just saying.

Isn't it amazing how 'we' 'choose' which 'gift' of the Spirit 'we' will accept and which ones 'we' reject?

lifeisgood

Spoiler Alert: I am a Christian - you just missed the nuances of your post, so let me spell it out for you. If I you came to me saying that God wants me healed and you would like to pray for me ... sianara.:wave2:

You would not ask for a brother/sister to pray with you in accordance to His Will?

TweetyBird

Are you not familiar with Acts 10 and Eph 19?

Acts 10
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.

Eph 19
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

musterion

So where is your verse from the bible telling you that God heals as he chooses?

I don't need one. Only the sign gifts targeted at Israel were said to cease. God can still do ANYTHING He chooses to do, when He chooses to do it. You doubt this?

Shut us up. Post your proof.

andyc

Are you not familiar with Acts 10 and Eph 19?

No

Acts 10
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.

Eph 19
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

So how do you know, from these verses, that they were speaking in a tongue that Peter didn't understand?
How many languages do you think Peter understood?
Remember, he was an unschooled man.

TweetyBird

1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.

OK

If Paul's spirit is praying to God, why does he need a specific earthly language that he doesn't understand in order to pray to God?

You have to remember that his Spirit is communicating to God, not men.

Now musty, spend a few minutes thinking about this. Don't just respond with nonsense like usual.

The nonsense is that people are actually convinced that Paul was talking about a private prayer language known only to God.

The context of verse 2 is the opening statement for a teaching on the edifying of the assembly/gathering - ALL must be understood or it is as if one is speaking to the air. Paul's words.

TweetyBird

Without a word there can be no hope.

Forgiveness of sins aka salvation. There is hope to get healed, and faith in God to do His will. Sometimes you get healed and sometimes you don't. Like Job said - Blessed be the name of the Lord [He gives and takes away - and in these words Job sinned not]

I think it went over your head.

dat darn puddy tat ... he did it :help:

musterion

The key to the whole tongues debate is the context in which Paul spoke. The key to that, imo, is 1 Cor 14:19 -- "BUT IN THE CHURCH I would rather speak five words with my understanding, in order to teach others also, than 10,000 words in another language."

AndyC can neither teach not speak in tongues.