ECT Speaking in tongues

TweetyBird

I would agree with that, because the gift is mostly of personal benefit, it is the least impressive from an external perspective.
However, from a personal perspective, the gift is extremely powerful.

No it's not. It's an illusion put in your mind by people who convinced you that is how to "get with God".

What do you think would happen if someone went into hospital ward saying that God wanted them to be healed of whatever they were suffering with, and asked them if it was ok to pray for them?

If it were me, I would tell you to leave and try to be polite about it :CRASH:

andyc

I am not a cessationist. Private tongues was never a concept until the early 1900s AD when Pentecostal missionaries went abroad preaching in their so called tongues expecting people to understand them. When that failed and they returned home with egg on their faces, they persuaded others that they were praying in tongues that could only be understood by God. It was a success! The teaching took off like wildfire and hundreds of thousands were making noises thinking they were praying to God :banana: and the beauty of the teaching is that you don't have to prove a thing, because it's God praying through you and no one is supposed to understand or give interp. wooooo hoooo! Taking verse 2 and reworking it to support the doctrine was a piece of cake. Cessassionism has nothing to do with this. It's just a plain old doctrine of men .... it has worked quite superbly - look at all the people who think they are praying to God while making noises - repetitive noises, just like Jesus said not to do. In fact, He told us how to pray. He never suggested praying was anything more than verbalizing your thoughts in prayer to the Lord and even gave us an example of how to pray. What a concept :idea:

Can someone tell this person what a cessationist is?

Hopefully he'll quickly disappear.

TweetyBird

So do you believe that Peter understood the language that the gentiles spoke in?

Yes, the text says so. Just like what happened at Pentecost - when all the unbelieving Jews understood the languages spoken by the disciples. And repeated in Acts 19 with the 12 Ephesian disciples.

Kott

BANNED
Banned
I don't know. My spirit causes me to pray in a language that supersedes English.
What a terrible idea.

It is not your spirit. It is either the Spirit of God
or another spirit imitating the Spirit of God that
is speaking through you.

andyc

No it's not. It's an illusion put in your mind by people who convinced you that is how to "get with God".

If it were me, I would tell you to leave and try to be polite about it :CRASH:

:chuckle:

Who is this guy?
Can someone fill me in?

Should he be in the Christian only forum?

Kott

BANNED
Banned
We MUST pray according to His will.

Jeremiah 7:16
Therefore pray not thou for this people,
neither lift up cry nor prayer for them,
neither make intercession to me:
for I will not hear thee.

Jeremiah 11:14
Therefore pray not thou for this people,
neither lift up a cry or prayer for them:
for I will not hear them
in the time that they cry unto me for their trouble.

Jeremiah 14:11
Then said the LORD unto me,
Pray not for this people for their good.