ECT Speaking in tongues

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
So if Paul said that unbelievers will say that those speaking tongues are out of thier minds, what sign is it supposed to be?

Try to be logical. If a group of people suddenly speak and everybody around them hears it in their own language, why would those people (unbelievers) think the one's that are speaking in their language are "Crazy.?" Quite the opposite, the unbelievers would see it as a miracle!

SaulToPaul 2

It's not people who can heal. We simply pray the prayer of faith. I personally do not lay hands on people unless they specifically ask me, but I saw a drug addict healed immediately after prayer, a person in bondage to depression for years, I myself told chronic asthma to leave while I was in hospital in the emergency ward. It left and never came back. I have cast out spirits. One night they manifested in a person's apartment, and I cast them out. This person then slept for the first time in peace after a long time of fear and torment.

None of this matters to you guys cause you don't believe it. So no point asking, is there?

None of that resembles the biblical accounts of healing.
Why?

Interplanner

There has to be a direct correlation between "that which is in part" and "that which is perfect".

Know in part- the gift of knowing the word of God without having it written down in front of them

Prophesy in part- the gift of speaking forth the word of God without reading it from a scroll

??? The "in part" refers to the fact that all knowledge is only partial right now. There is no 'tongues experience' that is over-the-top about this limitation and 'really' puts us in contact with God. Yet I still encounter people who may have only known me for a couple hours and insist that I am a completely inadequate believer unless I know what my 'prayer language' is. There is nothing like that in the NT.

lifeisgood

Personally I do not believe that tongue has ceased, but that it will cease.

Also Paul said, ". . . do not forbid anyone from speaking in tongues" (1 Corinthians 14:39).

1 Corinthians 12 and 14 seem to indicate that the gift of tongues also benefits the individual believer, as well as the church, when they are interpreted (14:1-33).

However, I do believe that much of what passes as 'speaking in tongues' today is questionable, but I dare not insist that what someone has experienced is false.

As I understand from the NT I would say that genuine tongues are tongues, unknown to the speaker, and not merely babbling.

I also believe that just because the gift of tongues is misused, it does not prove that the gift is false. After all, anybody can abuse every spiritual gift for personal gain.

I was praying one day and all of a sudden I started speaking in a language I do not speak. I was not looking for it. Have never looked for tongues. I was alone. I felt as if I was ‘speaking’ with God. For a few hours every time I opened my mouth, none of the languages I speak came out.

Danoh

Also Paul said, ". . . do not forbid anyone from speaking in tongues" (1 Corinthians 14:39).

1 Corinthians 12 and 14 seem to indicate that the gift of tongues also benefits the individual believer, as well as the church, when they are interpreted (14:1-33).

However, I do believe that much of what passes as 'speaking in tongues' today is questionable, but I dare not insist that what someone has experienced is false.

As I understand from the NT I would say that genuine tongues are tongues, unknown to the speaker, and not merely babbling.

I also believe that just because the gift of tongues is misused, it does not prove that the gift is false. After all, anybody can abuse every spiritual gift for personal gain.

I was praying one day and all of a sudden I started speaking in a language I do not speak. I was not looking for it. Have never looked for tongues. I was alone. I felt as if I was ‘speaking’ with God. For a few hours every time I opened my mouth, none of the languages I speak came out.

A thought...

Yours is a bias you formed as a result of that experience - a bias you formed from that as a result of neurophysiological (or mind-body connection) processes and how they work that you were/are are not aware of.

A bias the result of "low information" on such things, on your part.

People who have been struck in the head have been known to all of a sudden speak in an actual; existing language; they and no one in their immediate family were never known for.

Some part of their brain having been accidentally stimulated just right.

And most people will often be observed stuttering out sounds in their native tongue's vowels and consonants during moments of highly altered neurophysiological states.

As when one is freezing; or highly excited, or severly traumatized, or overcome with overwhelming grief, or...

musterion

If it ain't focused on unbelievers, it ain't tongues. 1 Cor 14:22; 1 Cor 1:22.

musterion

True but it is a specific kind: the unbelieving Jews of that first century who needed proof that the Messianic age and mission truly was here.

Not quite. Most unbelieving Jews had passed that point during the Gospels period. Christ said they had already seen more than enough to believe.

Tongues was a sign of impending judgment about to fall upon those who continued refusing to repent.