ECT Speaking in tongues

lifeisgood

A thought...

Yours is a bias you formed as a result of that experience - a bias you formed from that as a result of neurophysiological (or mind-body connection) processes and how they work that you were/are are not aware of.

A bias the result of "low information" on such things, on your part.

People who have been struck in the head have been known to all of a sudden speak in an actual; existing language; they and no one in their immediate family were never known for.

Some part of their brain having been accidentally stimulated just right.

And most people will often be observed stuttering out sounds in their native tongue's vowels and consonants during moments of highly altered neurophysiological states.

As when one is freezing; or highly excited, or severly traumatized, or overcome with overwhelming grief, or...

Well, I guess I was traumatized then.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A thought...

Yours is a bias you formed as a result of that experience - a bias you formed from that as a result of neurophysiological (or mind-body connection) processes and how they work that you were/are are not aware of.

A bias the result of "low information" on such things, on your part.

People who have been struck in the head have been known to all of a sudden speak in an actual; existing language; they and no one in their immediate family were never known for.

Some part of their brain having been accidentally stimulated just right.

And most people will often be observed stuttering out sounds in their native tongue's vowels and consonants during moments of highly altered neurophysiological states.

As when one is freezing; or highly excited, or severly traumatized, or overcome with overwhelming grief, or...

Is that what they were doing?--

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Danoh, you are a shocking unbeliever.

LA

Danoh

Well, I guess I was traumatized then.

Trauma is only one form of an overly excited mind-body state.

But hey, if you are like the many I have encountered over the years - including many Pastors: who easily take offense when something is pointed out to them they might at least consider; then perhaps whatever it is you think you have that is such a sure ground; is not such a sure ground after all.

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

1 Corinthians 14:38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

Danoh

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

LA

I wasn't referring to those people described in Scripture, o clueless one.

Interplanner

Not quite. Most unbelieving Jews had passed that point during the Gospels period. Christ said they had already seen more than enough to believe.

Tongues was a sign of impending judgment about to fall upon those who continued refusing to repent.

There's no basis for saying that, but there is obvious basis for saying it was to be seen by Jews as the explosive kickstart of a mission effort: Pentecost! All those various visitors heard; all returned home with something they could express.

You might call it a judgement of dismissal from the 'vineyard' of Mt 21, but not of a crushing event like the DofJ. I mention Mt 21 because it is grounded in Is 28 as well with the stumbling stone.

Where is the judgement theme in I Cor 14? Signs can be about nice events--the birth of Christ.

Danoh

There's no basis for saying that, but there is obvious basis for saying it was to be seen by Jews as the explosive kickstart of a mission effort: Pentecost! All those various visitors heard; all returned home with something they could express.

You might call it a judgement of dismissal from the 'vineyard' of Mt 21, but not of a crushing event like the DofJ. I mention Mt 21 because it is grounded in Is 28 as well with the stumbling stone.

Where is the judgement theme in I Cor 14? Signs can be about nice events--the birth of Christ.

Where I don't have to labor much only to get nowhere with you; I'll throw you a bone (to no avail; of course).

Acts 11:19 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

LA

Are you related to "Letsargue?" You and he seem to think everyone is unsaved except for you two "Knuckleheads."

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Its funny to watch people making fun of youtube videos, while having no ability to bring a case in defence of cessationism from scripture.
How about steko?
I see you getting in on the act, but nothing in the way of scriptural content.

Why should anybody go out of their way for the likes of you? You know what I mean? Probably not. Tomorrow, when you're out walking your pet Hamster, go up to a complete stranger and ask them what I meant.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey, LA and Andy, do you turn down your volume control to your Laptop after you post something? I mean, so you don't have to hear the laughter and giggles of your fellow posters.

your loss--

Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
Act 2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
Act 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Act 2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
Act 2:19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
Act 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
Act 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

LA

lifeisgood

Wasn't overly excited in the least.

I do not agree with much of what pass of as 'speaking in tongues' now days, but I do believe that 'speaking in tongues' has not ceased. The same that I believe that healing has not ceased.

A few years ago I was speaking with a group sisters from another church in a conference where two sisters had been diagnosed with breast cancer. One was prayed over and was instantly healed. Never had to go through anything.

The other was crying asking why did she have to go through all the chemo and breast removal, etc. Why didn't God heal me like He healed her?

What do you say? Rhetorical question.

The Lord gave me words to answer her and I was told a few months later, that whatever I told her had made such a difference in her life, they wanted to know what I had told her. Honestly, I do not even remember what the Holy Spirit told her through my vocal cords.

But hey, if you are like the many I have encountered over the years - including many Pastors: who easily take offense when something is pointed out to them they might at least consider; then perhaps whatever it is you think you have that is such a sure ground; is not such a sure ground after all.

No offense taken Danoh.

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

Good advice.

Danoh

Wasn't overly excited in the least.

I do not agree with much of what pass of as 'speaking in tongues' now days, but I do believe that 'speaking in tongues' has not ceased. The same that I believe that healing has not ceased.

A few years ago I was speaking with a group sisters from another church in a conference where two sisters had been diagnosed with breast cancer. One was prayed over and was instantly healed. Never had to go through anything.

The other was crying asking why did she have to go through all the chemo and breast removal, etc. Why didn't God heal me like He healed her?

What do you say? Rhetorical question.

The Lord gave me words to answer her and I was told a few months later, that whatever I told her had made such a difference in her life, they wanted to know what I had told her. Honestly, I do not even remember what the Holy Spirit told her through my vocal cords.

Mind-body excitations given cancer issues (some forms of which are mind-body issues behaving like cancer within an individual); and mind-body excitations over healing and or its lack...

Am not saying you are lying.

To do that to you would be to look at your assertions from one sided bias, in contrast to where I'd be better off looking at any assertion from - from objectivity.

What I find is that you obviously lack not only understanding of why there were healings in those parts of Scripture where and when those took place; but are also apparently not well informed in the connection between mind-body issues.

The only reason I am is because I have looked into such things, first hand.

There are also cases in Medical Science where people diagnosed with multiple personality disorders have manifested advanced stages of Diabetes that completely vanish when one another aspect of their split personality kicks in.

And no, that is not demon possession, by the way.

andyc

Why would anyone listen to you?
Someone who's been in the faith 5 minutes, chose mad, and has an appropriate user name here?

andyc

your loss--

Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
Act 2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
Act 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Act 2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
Act 2:19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
Act 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
Act 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

LA

Is Marowbe even worth responding to?